Author Topic: FM: SLDF Questions on Regular Army vs. Reserve Command, IG Office, and CoS  (Read 1621 times)

FirstStarLord

• Corporal
Hello,

I was sort of going in this direction on the last thread about brigade numbering, but I figured that these questions warranted a new start.

First off, I'm trying to better understand the division between Regular Army and Reserve units in the SLDF. The text for Reserve Command talks about the large number of regiments, brigades and divisions assigned to it, and that the vast majority of one-term enlistees serve in the Reserve. Additionally the blurb on armor assets talks about the "unassigned defensive Regular Army". I'm assuming both of these organizations are tied into the Army-level combat assets that do not show up on the normal order of battle.

So this question is three-fold:

1) Is the Reserve divided into several sections? I get the impression that it is divided into two parts. The first is composed of full-time army units that are second-line in organization and training but are otherwise active and contribute to regular military operations, up to and including the infantry and armor divisions mentioned in the Reserve Command blurb. The second part is made up of reservists in the more traditional sense, demobilized soldiers who train for a small part of the year and only fully mobilize to make up for losses in wartime.

2) While I know it is supposed to be deliberately vague in description, what are these Reserve commands like? Do they include Reserve Battlemech and Aerospace units that serve in a garrison role? How are the second-line armored and infantry divisions organized? Two brigades of tanks and one of infantry for armor divisions and the opposite for infantry?

3) Where does the line for the Reserve units end and the "unassigned defensive Regular Army" begin? Are the 50 front-line divisions not described in the FM tie into that? Sort of the tip of the spear for the garrison forces?

With that out of the way, my other questions are a lot briefer.

1) The Inspector General office, under which command does it fall? I'd say Regular Army, but they seem to be responsible for keeping an eye on the Navy as well.

2) From Liberation of Terra, Vol. I we have a mention of a "SLDF Chief of Staff" on pg. 74. No mention of that in the Field Manual. Where does that position fall within the SLDF hierarchy?

3) Lastly, the maps at the end of the field manual list 450 divisions, just like the old Star League sourcebook. However, both the Star League SB and Liberation of Terra, Vol. 1 mention 22 divisions in 20th Army (7 Battlemech, 15 Infantry). If you added that up you get 451 divisions. A simple typo or something more?

As always, your answers are very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

J_Schmetzer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Master Sergeant
First off, I'm trying to better understand the division between Regular Army and Reserve units in the SLDF. The text for Reserve Command talks about the large number of regiments, brigades and divisions assigned to it, and that the vast majority of one-term enlistees serve in the Reserve. Additionally the blurb on armor assets talks about the "unassigned defensive Regular Army". I'm assuming both of these organizations are tied into the Army-level combat assets that do not show up on the normal order of battle.

Remember that the order of battle shown in FM: SLDF and the SLSB shows only the frontline army and corps organization. Any number of combatant formations exist outside of this order of battle; if a formation is not assigned to a corps, it does not appear on that table. And don't bother asking what that number of formations might be -- it's not established.

Whether they are responsible to army commands would depend on precise assignment.

1) Is the Reserve divided into several sections? I get the impression that it is divided into two parts. The first is composed of full-time army units that are second-line in organization and training but are otherwise active and contribute to regular military operations, up to and including the infantry and armor divisions mentioned in the Reserve Command blurb. The second part is made up of reservists in the more traditional sense, demobilized soldiers who train for a small part of the year and only fully mobilize to make up for losses in wartime.

Somewhat yes. The Reserve is any SLDF combatant not assigned to a standing Regular Army formation, whether that Regular Army formation is assigned to a frontline corps or not.

2) While I know it is supposed to be deliberately vague in description, what are these Reserve commands like? Do they include Reserve Battlemech and Aerospace units that serve in a garrison role? How are the second-line armored and infantry divisions organized? Two brigades of tanks and one of infantry for armor divisions and the opposite for infantry?

You answered your own question with the first half of your first sentence in that question. A more specific, out-of-universe answer would be "whatever you need them to be for your purposes."

3) Where does the line for the Reserve units end and the "unassigned defensive Regular Army" begin? Are the 50 front-line divisions not described in the FM tie into that? Sort of the tip of the spear for the garrison forces?

No idea. It's not defined--purposefully.

1) The Inspector General office, under which command does it fall? I'd say Regular Army, but they seem to be responsible for keeping an eye on the Navy as well.

It's not defined.

2) From Liberation of Terra, Vol. I we have a mention of a "SLDF Chief of Staff" on pg. 74. No mention of that in the Field Manual. Where does that position fall within the SLDF hierarchy?

From the use, it suggests the SLDF maintains a general staff in the old German model. Such a staff, if it existed, would most likely report to the High Command or, depending on the commanding general's preference, the commanding general. As it would not function in the chain of command, it would not appear in FM: SLDF.

3) Lastly, the maps at the end of the field manual list 450 divisions, just like the old Star League sourcebook. However, both the Star League SB and Liberation of Terra, Vol. 1 mention 22 divisions in 20th Army (7 Battlemech, 15 Infantry). If you added that up you get 451 divisions. A simple typo or something more?

No idea. The solution is either a mistake (and, really, a .002 percent error rate? I'm fine with that) or the mentions are of an unassigned but attached Reserve division. Which is correct doesn't really matter--choose whichever suits your purposes better.

In all things, whatever is best for your game wins.

I sometimes write things. Sometimes they're spelled right. Not often.

My Top 10 BattleTech Novels
Advice on Finding Shrapnel Story Ideas
How to Write for Sourcebooks

FirstStarLord

• Corporal
Very good. Your answers mirrored my own assumptions fairly closely, but it's always nice to have them officially confirmed. Thank you.

Register