Author Topic: What would you bid, part III, the Hellions come to Twycross!  (Read 3224 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
The third part of my series of soliciting bids for my Hellion invasion campaign. This time, the Hellions are preparing to invade the world of Twycross, and the Lyrans have moved in reinforcements to face them.

Some specifics for those who are new: The year is 3001, Clan Ice Hellion has launched a solo invasion of the Inner Sphere. These initial few months have gone well for them (aside from one significant hiccup), and now they're moving in to invade the Lyran world of Twycross, and it's time to bid for the right to invade.

The expected defenders are composed of two regiments of battlemechs with light vehicle and infantry support, as well as perhaps two wings of aerofighters and possibly a small number of assault ships.

The Khan has authorized forces from all currently available front line units to bid for the right to invade. As such, the absolute maximum number of forces that may be bid are 27 mech trinaries, 20 elemental trinaries, 10 aerospace trinaries, a McKenna, Fredasa, and two Lola IIIs.

As before, the winning bid will be used as the attacking force for this upcoming segment of the campaign I'm running.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that this is Twycross, and twycross' weather absolutely sucks. Thus air operations may be at times impossible.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 15:26:43 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Skyth

• Lieutenant
Re: What would you bid, part III, the Hellions come to Twycross!
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 16:08:34 »
One Hatchetman :)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2018, 16:45:30 »
One Hatchetman :)

That's a defending bid, thank you very much. :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2018, 09:36:35 »
That's a defending bid, thank you very much. :P

Not to veer the thread off course, but when the Hatchetman came to Twycross, it was the attacking force.  Clan Jade Falcon was in control of the world at that point and the defender.

Ran Felsner

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2018, 13:36:04 »
>> Drawing laughter and snide remarks, a young Ristar from Delta Galaxy strides forward <<

"My fellow Trothkin,
   Has our assault on Somerset not taught us anything about these stravag barbarians who seek to deny us our rightful place in paradise ?  Is it not better to strike with overwhelming force, to strike swiftly; to deny these freebirths any chance at deception or subterfuge ? I, Star Colonel Drew Norizuchi, bid we assault this planet Twycross with 3 Nova Trinary's. 
   And lest anyone think this is a cowards bid, let me remind this exulted conclave of warriors what the true prize is.  It is the opportunity to gain our first manufacturing site within the inner sphere, which will allow Kerensky's one true clan, Clan Ice Hellion to achieve its much denied glory !!"

>> Finished, the warrior steps back, and with a steely gaze, looks over the assembled crowd <<

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 15 April 2018, 15:30:08 »
The above bid sounds like a fair one for 2 3025 mech regiments w light conventional forces support.  I think I can cut it down and underbid though.

1 Trinary composed of 3 Supernovas
2 more pure Omnimech trinaries

that's 6 stars under the previous bid, but I'm gonna pad back upwards by adding a Binary of Flurry units, and one more star of vehicles for support (Hueys & bodyguard tanks & Hover recce/spotters)

Puts me at 15 stars total to the previous bid of 18.  I'm presuming that the copious aerospace is available to protect and guarantee the planethead and needn't be part of the bid.  If that presumption is not correct, tack on another full star of ASFs to protect the landing and provide air support when weather permits.

EDIT:  My bid gathered together for ease of viewing:
1 Trinary of Supernovae (6 stars)
2 Trinaries of Omnis (6 stars)
1 Binary of Flurry 'Mechs (2 stars)
1 Support Binary of Tanks n ASFs (2 stars)
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 16:07:09 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2018, 16:35:21 »
A warrior in field kit strides forward, older than most, white hair swept back in mimicry of the ice hellion itself. Eyes an almost colourless blue sweep contemptuously over the previous bidders.

"I am Arastus Rood, Star Captain in Beta Galaxy. I bid on behalf of the 121st Hellion Lancers. The filthy surats of the Inner Sphere cannot stand against us. Though their numbers are great and their trickery unparalleled, our skill will win the day. Twycross is already ours.

"I bid two binaries of frontline OmniMechs, a single binary of BattleMechs, two binaries of Elementals, one binary of Solahma infantry, and a binary of aerospace fighters. Fourteen stars to take a planet."

Arastus turns, as if to return to the sidelines. "Oh yes, and my Star Colonel has removed herself from this bid, leaving the force to be led by me, a mere Star Captain."
----------------------------------

This translates into:
3 'Mech binaries, 2 omni, 1 battle - 6 stars
2 Elemental binaries - 4 stars
1 Solahma infantry binary - 2 stars
1 Aerospace fighter binary - 2 stars
Total: 14 stars
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2018, 17:26:23 »
I bid 3elemental trinarys 2 battle armor binarys and a binary of aerospace.
Totall: 13 stars
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2018, 18:46:02 »

Aren't elemental and battle armour the same thing?
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2018, 18:47:35 »

3 trinaries = 9 stars, and 2 binaries = 4 stars, and one more binary = 2 more stars = 15 stars.

Also 13 stars of elementals.. with no mechs to take on 2 regiments of mechs?  I get that you have ASFs to serve as taxis... but still...

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2018, 22:37:55 »
Only because it's slightly irking me, Ran Felsner and Tai Dai Cultist, you guys are using the wrong term for one of your formations.

A Nova includes a BattleMech Star and an Elemental Star.

A Supernova can be in either Binary or Trinary form.  A binary form has 2 BattleMech Stars and 2 Elemental Stars, the trinary form has 3 BattleMech Stars and 3 Elemental Stars.

1 Trinary composed of 3 Supernovas
1 Trinary of Supernovae (6 stars)
Should read:
1 Supernova Trinary (or 1 Trinary composed of 3 Novae)
and
1 Supernova Trinary (6 stars)

... with 3 Nova Trinary's.
Should read:
3 Supernova Trinaries

This doesn't throw any of the numbers you were bidding off though, so this is mostly me nitpicking for proper terminology.

My Bid:
2 Supernova Binaries
1 BattleMech Trinary (2nd-line)
1 Star ASF
Total: 12 Stars (4 OM, 3 BM, 4 BA, 1 ASF)

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2018, 22:56:24 »
A Nova includes a BattleMech Star and an Elemental Star.
If we're nitpicking then technically a Nova is a combination of any two Stars of different battlefield unit types. The vast majority of times it's Mechs plus Battle Armour but sometimes we see vehicles plus infantry (conventional or BA), and other rare Nova types exist too.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2018, 22:59:49 »
Additionally, a Supernova Trianary could have a single Nova as one of the three parts.

Any idea where on Twycross they are going to defend?  I mean it screams for the Great Gash but . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ran Felsner

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2018, 09:02:17 »
No offense taken.  Not being a big fan of the clans in the day, I didn't want to use the wrong term.  The term "supernova" was always a topic of debate in our gaming group.
I just really enjoyed the interaction that happened with Somerset, and figured I would kick it off with a reasonable bid.  Hopefully I will have some time after work to properly work up another, lower bid.
Also, My thanks to Liam's Ghost for opening up his gaming to table to our whims.  This type of interaction is what I miss most from my old gaming group.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #14 on: 17 April 2018, 15:19:19 »

3 trinaries = 9 stars, and 2 binaries = 4 stars, and one more binary = 2 more stars = 15 stars.

Also 13 stars of elementals.. with no mechs to take on 2 regiments of mechs?  I get that you have ASFs to serve as taxis... but still...

You wouldn't be asking that if you have ever faced.me :). Plus this era? Yeah i got dis, specially in bad weather.
Plus i love impossible challenges.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2018, 15:22:09 by Foxx Ital »
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 18 April 2018, 20:22:35 »
Some additional details that I should have clarified before.  ;)

The clans don't exactly know where the Inner Sphere plans to defend, but it will be in the general area that the canonical battles for twycross tend to take place. This means the plain of curtains, the great gash, and the area around the capital city of Camora.

Based on my readings, the Plain of Curtains is generally a favored landing site since it's big enough and flat enough to land and organize a large force. The final goal of any campaign is general Camora, since all the important stuff is there. Between them is the famous Great Gash, which, as I understand it, is a long, twisty, high walled, but narrow pass that can effectively be blocked with explosives. Beyond the Gash, the area around Camora tends to be quite rugged and tough, with a number of additional small chokepoints around the city (three of these chokepoints feature in the Twycross scenario pack of old, where a company of defenders tries to hold each one against attacking clan forces).

The weather will be calm to atrocious, generally at random. This may mean air operations in certain areas will suddenly become impossible. This doesn't count the Diabolis storm, which will be roaming around the plain of curtains and will remain just atrocious.

Whichever force wins the bid, I will employ them in the manner that I believe will most likely bring a clan victory without undue dishonor. Unless there is a specific plan specified by the bidder, in which case I'll do my best to execute that plan.

At present, the bidding remains open until saturday night. Any continuances will depend on my health.  :D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 20 April 2018, 22:05:20 »
Actually Elemental stars can have vehicles like 'Svantovit' attached to transport them . . . and I do not see the Clans NOT firing back if they get lit up.

Forget ASF transport too . . .

12 Stars of Elementals with a mix of SL/MG/Flamer (50/25/25%) being HALO dropped on Camora and two medium Omnimech stars (Coyotls, Battle Cobra, 1 Stooping Hawk A or C, Novas, Vipers,  Summoner for Star Captain, Adders, and Ice Ferrets) .  The Elementals will seize a place in the city that can be considered a landing zone for dropships kicking out supply bundles of recharge modules (though they can feed off the city's power supply), SRM/MG reloads, and rations.  The Elementals can also seize and drive trucks found in the city with some reconstruction (rip out the top & back) of the cab, so the point can move around in Flatbeds & TRO VA vehicles.  The Star Colonel in charge of the Elemental drop would have a handful of DS burning for the Plain of Curtains like they were going to land a force on that feature before boosting back into space.  The diversion landing would happen as a storm is brewing but before it makes conditions on the planet impossible to determine the DS were dropping.  The Elementals and two stars of supporting Omnis would be kicked out in a phase 2 after sensors showed the defenders had shifted their focus to the fake landing.  I would turn that city into Stalingrad for the mechs, armor and infantry to fight their way back in.

Dishonorable surats, come dig me out of the burrow you intended to hide in or leave the planet.

Previous bid to call down which means losing face would add back another trinary of heavy battlemechs (maybe CO in a Omni) of Thresher or two, Great Wyrm, Royal Champion, Vapor Eagles, Conjurers, Royal Flashman, Bowman, Stalking Spider or Starslayer.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 20 April 2018, 23:11:28 »
Oh yeah, almost forgot more of the ops plan . . . the streets are going to be rubbled to get rid of straight paths into the city center for armor.  The mechs will be as a reserve in the city center to respond to any thrusts that make it through the Elemental ring.  The Elementals will also block off the sewers coming in from outside the city though leave certain ones open for underground paths through certain sectors.  A few buildings will also be designated for collapsing into the streets on mechs or heavy armor.
Colt Ward

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2018, 12:28:57 »
So this is what I see for bids at the moment:

Ran Felsner (Star Colenel Drew Norizuchi)
   3 Supernova Trinaries
   (Total Stars: 9 OM, 9 BA = 18 total)

Tai Dai Cultist
   1 Supernova Trinary
   2 OmniMech Trinaries
   1 Binary of Flurry ‘Mechs
   1 Support Binary Tanks/ASF
   (Total Stars: 9 OM, 3 BA, 2 BM, 1 CV, 1 ASF = 16 total)

Jaim Magnus (Star Captain Arastus Rood)
   2 OmniMech Binaries
   1 BattleMech Binary
   2 Elemental Binaries
   1 Solahma Infantry Binary
   1 ASF Binary
   (Total Stars: 4 OM, 2 BM, 4 BA, 2 Inf, 2 ASF = 14 total)

Foxx Ital
   3 Elemental Trinaries
   2 Elemental Binaries
   1 Binary Aerospace
   (Total Stars: 13 BA, 2 ASF = 15 total)

Vition2
   2 Supernova Binaries
   1 BattleMech Trinary
   1 Star ASF
   (Total Stars: 4 OM, 4 BA, 3 BM, 1 ASF = 12 total)
   (After the additional details post, I was considering adding the use of exactly 10 barracuda capital missiles and 4 white shark  capital missiles specifically against emplaced hardened targets and/or impeding terrain - this is exactly two shots per launcher from an orbiting Lola III which itself is not included in any bid)

Colt Ward
   11 Elemental Stars
   1 Omnimech Star (medium)
   (Total: 11 BA, 1 OM = 12 total)
   Extra Bonus: Specific Tactics
   Extra Deficit: Elicits almost guaranteed infrastructural damage and non-combatant casualties to the capital city.
   Previous Bid: Adds 3 BM Stars, [1 OM Star, 1 BA Star]

I actually estimated some weights each star would actually be considered, but I'll hold off on that until after Liam's Ghost has decided things.

Edited for Colt's updated bid, the 2 bracketed stars in the Previous bid column were in the original bid - if it matters at all.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2018, 13:58:03 »
Huh, I thought I had bid the least after skimming . . . what I get for not checking.  Then shift 1 OM star and 1 BA star into that 'previous bid' column with the 3 battlemech stars.  I think if you can properly funnel them into the city it keeps the Elementals from having to face long range sniping as well as making mechs & armor easier targets since they cannot safely use their full speed.
Colt Ward

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2018, 14:18:13 »
Updated the list.

I'll mention that if I added in the missiles, the weighted bid of yours, Colt (for me at least), would have been nearly equivalent to my bid - which admittedly was pretty easy to miss, since it was at the end of a quibble post.  ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 22 April 2018, 14:56:54 »
Yeah, I was bouncing between hotels trying to keep up with this thread.

My IC view was that the Lyrans had already proven themselves dishonorable and with the Hellion temper it was easy to make that justification for the tactics.  When seen in light of the view that we are fighting for a whole world rather than a single enclave- which would usually be a town, sometimes a city- causing damage to a city that does not have the factory would be viewed differently than causing damage to the only city in a enclave.

Yours is interesting, I thought Cap missiles could not do Ortillery?
Colt Ward

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 22 April 2018, 16:17:18 »
My IC view was that the Lyrans had already proven themselves dishonorable and with the Hellion temper it was easy to make that justification for the tactics.  When seen in light of the view that we are fighting for a whole world rather than a single enclave- which would usually be a town, sometimes a city- causing damage to a city that does not have the factory would be viewed differently than causing damage to the only city in a enclave.
Perfectly reasonable, and based on one of the previous attacks (on Somerset), the Hellions may not even offer a trial.  The downside is that you aren't forcing an engagement, if the "defenders" decide not to attack - they've done poorly so far - you cede the planet for control of a city.  Using a nearly pure elemental force is great at holding ground in a built up area, but is poor for more widespread control.  What I see as being a particular problem is that there are nearly as many enemy 'mechs as there are individual elementals in your force, and you aren't using the typical advantages the clans have, ie. range and speed.  I certainly think you could pull off a reverse siege, but there's a lot depending on the enemy doing what you want them to.  If this was a defensive tactic, rather than an offensive one, I'd be fully on board with the idea though (though probably not as a Hellion).

Yours is interesting, I thought Cap missiles could not do Ortillery?
Completely legal, SO page 103.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 23 April 2018, 21:41:40 »
So obviously my health got in the way on sunday. I see no reason not to allow the bidding to stay open until this upcoming saturday, even though I'm not sure the bid can be cut any lower than it already is.

Colt Ward's bid is currently the lowest.

Register