Author Topic: Taurian Infantry Kit Question  (Read 3778 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Taurian Infantry Kit Question
« on: 08 July 2019, 20:12:38 »
So. I know its not really detailed that well, but we've got a bunch of sources at this point, so I figured I'd try to sort where things might have gone wrong.

As far as I know, we get the first glimpse of the Taurian Infantry Kit in Combat Equipment, which gives a Availability Rating of B-B-B (B for Star League Era, B for Succession War Era, B for Clan Invasion Era)

TacOps gives us a rating of B-B-B, and an introduction date of 3047. Errata would change the rating to X-X-B to account for the lateness of the introduction, presumably.

ATOW goes back to B-B-B.

IO goes to X-X-B-B, with a Prototype date of 3045, and a Production date of 3047.

Obviously there's some confusion :)

I've checked the various Periphery books, Combat Equipment, and ATOW, and for the life of me, I can not find where the 3047 data in TacOps comes from.

Anyone got any suggestions, and/or know where the reference is? Obviously more than half the books were built on the idea that the TC had their armor kit since the Star League era, and the others are built on this 3047 date.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Taurian Infantry Kit Question
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2019, 17:27:24 »
The Taurians aren't the only ones with this problem.  AToW lists the Steiner and Davion armor jackets as B-B-B, but Xotl (the errata guru) has told me it only indicates the post-4th Succession War versions.  That means either the first and second (or part of the second) "B" ratings are wrong, or Xotl is not quite right.  I PM'd him about it when I finally realized he had edited my original post (vice replying; in his defense it was about a two YEAR gap), but I haven't seen a response yet.

The REAL issue is that it's entirely possible to make Divisor 2 armor at Tech Level B that's non-encumbering.  I can buy that proposition, but TPTB may not have considered that angle...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2019, 19:48:57 »
Yeah, I noticed the Steiner one as well. I didn't ask about it because the Steiner ones are dated, IIRC and so its understandable what the "correct" stats are.

The Taurian 3047 just seems to have no prior source that I've found so far.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2019, 19:57:29 »
Xotl was implying that the TacOps table with Divisor 1 for the Steiner and Davion jackets trumped AToW's availability codes.  I'm still not sure, personally.  It strikes me that the Steiner and Davion governments would care that much about their infantry, while the Mariks settled for Divisor 2, but encumbering, while the Kuritas and Liaos went for Divisor 1, non-encumbering.  That just seems "right" to me, on so many levels...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2019, 01:03:22 »
could also be that heavier armor kit could be made at such earlier times, but was a lot less common so wasn't standard gear and used mainly for specialized units.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2019, 03:54:29 »
Another really weird thing is that basic Flak Armor is Tech Level C...

Register