Author Topic: Random Question Time  (Read 3413 times)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Random Question Time
« on: 28 October 2019, 20:56:52 »
So in playing a couple games with my Hell Horses sparring partner we came up with a couple of questions about combat. Thanks for the answers in advance.

1)  How do a Vibro-Claws even work anyways? (Or even a location where said rules can be found). I thought I remembered where and when I searched my books I came up at a loss. Particularly against Mechs (but again location of rules is fine).

2) Same as above but for Bearhunter AC’s: thankfully my Gnomes have not entered combat this particular fight yet.

3) Same as above but Leg/Swarm attack. How does the attack roll for it work: does the modifier on the BA sheet add to other modifiers or does it replace?

4) Pavement movement. ESPECIALLY regarding hovercraft: each of us has a couple points of Epona’s carrying Elementals and we REALLY want to do a massive Urban Battle soon so we kinda need to figure this out.

5) When it comes to transporting Battle Armor I remember something about slowing down units. A) where are such rules for transporting and B) does this count for hovercraft as well. Basically we’ve both got Elementals, Gnomes, and I’ve got Rogue Bears.

6) Initiative: When mounted does infantry and BA count for units? For example I have an Epona and Five Elementals on board, opponent has a Timber Wolf. Do I have two units to his one or do we both have one unit?

7) Randomly is their a record sheet for the Tempest C or Juliano C? Asking for a friend who wants 3150 Wolves.

I think that’s it for now. Again thanks in advance!

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: Random Question Time
« Reply #1 on: 28 October 2019, 21:29:34 »
Everything except (7) can be found in Total Warfare.  Check the errata as the vibro-claws have been adjusted a bit.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 October 2019, 21:31:43 »
1. I think is under Total Warfare. Vibroclaws are covered under page 220 of TW. Each claw adds a point of damage for leg attacks.
2. I'll search for it for you.
3. Battle Armor should have gunnery skills, and Anti-Mech skills.
4. Hovercraft are immune to the effects of pavement, but can still side slip on their own regardless of the terrain.
5. If the vehicle isn't an Omni, I do think there is a penalty for externally transporting BA. I forgot where though.
6. BA riding a vehicle counts as a seperate unit last I checked.
7. Probably.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2019, 22:23:21 »
1. from TW errata

Under “Vibro-Claw Manipulator”, replace the entire paragraph [on pg 218] with the following:
A battle armor unit with one or more troopers equipped with a single vibro-claw adds 1 to its swarm attack damage; if the unit has one or more troopers equipped with two vibro-claws, instead add 2 to its swarm attack damage. This damage is in no way cumulative

2. TW pg 305

3. TW pg 220

4. hovercraft moving at flank speed must make a successful driving skill roll when turning (and moving forward after the turn) or skid. underlying terrain is irrelevant.

5. a) TW pg 223-225 b) yes

6. mounted BA do not count toward initiative. TW pg 225

7. No to both

« Last Edit: 28 October 2019, 22:25:19 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2019, 22:57:22 »

7) Randomly is their a record sheet for the Tempest C or Juliano C? Asking for a friend who wants 3150 Wolves.

I think that’s it for now. Again thanks in advance!

They have not been officially released for certain, but some unofficial NTNU 3150 designs were posted on the forum a while ago. I feel like at least the Tempest C was posted.
« Last Edit: 29 October 2019, 10:18:06 by VensersRevenge »
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2019, 23:46:16 »
The only 3150 mech to have been given an official record sheet that I'm aware of is the Vixen 6.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2019, 08:27:09 »
2) Same as above but for Bearhunter AC’s: thankfully my Gnomes have not entered combat this particular fight yet.

3) Same as above but Leg/Swarm attack. How does the attack roll for it work: does the modifier on the BA sheet add to other modifiers or does it replace?
  Are you asking for general rules for how BA work in combat?

4) Pavement movement. ESPECIALLY regarding hovercraft: each of us has a couple points of Epona’s carrying Elementals and we REALLY want to do a massive Urban Battle soon so we kinda need to figure this out.
Just a warning, skid checks suck.  They slow the game down and if your Epona plows into a building sideways after a 12 hex sprint, the troopers hanging onto the side will not fair well. Neither will the Epona.

5) When it comes to transporting Battle Armor I remember something about slowing down units. A) where are such rules for transporting and B) does this count for hovercraft as well. Basically we’ve both got Elementals, Gnomes, and I’ve got Rogue Bears.
If the mech or vehicle is an omni, then you are golden as long as the suit has the right manipulators, TW pg 228-229.  If the mech or vehicle isn't omni, then the BA needs Mag Clamps, TW 226-228.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2019, 10:31:59 »
With hovers, unless you've got a clear line ahead of you in case you fail the skid roll, or a really good driver, move at Flank speed ONLY in a straight line, saving one movement point for a turn at the END of your move.  The skid roll only applies if you move forward as part of the same move after making a turn.  You can move and turn safely at Cruising speed with no fear of skidding.

One trick is to find a long, straight row of hexes, and position yourself at the one end of it.  Next turn, or when the enemy shows up near the other end, you race at Flank speed down that clear row, building up an impressive penalty for any shots against you, and taking a shot at the opponent.  The following turn, you back up at Cruising speed along the same way you came, or backing up around a corner to break line of sight until you can make another high-modifier run.  Hovers, due to their fragile air skirts presenting a great target for motive hits, are best used for rapid passing shots and slash attacks with high modifiers, rather than duking it out with a far less vulnerable opponent.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2019, 17:51:31 »
Okay: First Thanks everyone for your search-fu.

@Grimlock: Sorta, kinda: I’ve had some problems and confusing questions on them, but after reading replies and TW a bit I’ve got a better grasp on it. Maybe lol....

Flank speed for hovers unless straight lines: check.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2019, 17:52:34 »
Cruising speed.  Flank speed is for straight-line movement.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2019, 19:14:09 »
Kovax and MLO4H have it right, though I'll say in the last game I played with hovers, I happily traded a J. Edgar (with Infernos) for a Manticore...

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2019, 09:19:46 »
Kovax and MLO4H have it right, though I'll say in the last game I played with hovers, I happily traded a J. Edgar (with Infernos) for a Manticore...
In most MM games, I'd be mortified that I lost the J. Edgar against a sluggish brick like a Manticore, as typically run by the AI.  With "abandoning vehicles" in play, the usual scenario is that you immobilize the Manticore, and the crew bails.  Next scenario, you're fielding both the J. Edgar and the Manticore.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2019, 15:44:32 »
The Manticore got ridiculously lucky and immobilized the J. Edgar (he needed something like 11s to hit, then got a motive crit, then rolled another 11 or so), except for the fact that every single Inferno scored a crit on it...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2019, 07:58:44 »
With hovers, unless you've got a clear line ahead of you in case you fail the skid roll, or a really good driver, move at Flank speed ONLY in a straight line, saving one movement point for a turn at the END of your move.  The skid roll only applies if you move forward as part of the same move after making a turn.  You can move and turn safely at Cruising speed with no fear of skidding.

One trick is to find a long, straight row of hexes, and position yourself at the one end of it.  Next turn, or when the enemy shows up near the other end, you race at Flank speed down that clear row, building up an impressive penalty for any shots against you, and taking a shot at the opponent.  The following turn, you back up at Cruising speed along the same way you came, or backing up around a corner to break line of sight until you can make another high-modifier run.  Hovers, due to their fragile air skirts presenting a great target for motive hits, are best used for rapid passing shots and slash attacks with high modifiers, rather than duking it out with a far less vulnerable opponent.
If the skid check only comes in if a hover flanks, turns 1 or more hexsides, and then moves forward, then you can safely flank, reserving up to 3 MP, and at the end your dash, turn up to 3 hexsides.

Okay: First Thanks everyone for your search-fu.

@Grimlock: Sorta, kinda: I’ve had some problems and confusing questions on them, but after reading replies and TW a bit I’ve got a better grasp on it. Maybe lol....

Flank speed for hovers unless straight lines: check.
Uh, backwards. Hovers cruise unless it's a straight line move.

There is a lot to digest.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Kovax

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2019, 09:04:59 »
Uh, backwards. Hovers cruise unless it's a straight line move.
Correct.  Cruise = walking speed, Flank = running speed.  You don't want to Flank with a hovercraft (or run on pavement with a 'Mech), make a turn, and then move another hex, if you can help it.  Flank move + turn is fine, Flank move + turn + another move = bad idea, EXCEPT when you WANT to fail that skid roll to increase your total movement distance in a straight line even beyond your normal movement points (a bit of an exploit, but I've seen it done intentionally before).  Wherever there's a rule, you'll find a rules lawyer not far behind, trying to take unfair advantage of it.

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2019, 21:59:14 »
I think the rules for hovers is that if you declare that the unit is flanking, every turn in the maneuver os counted. You'll still get to move the full range of motion, unless you fail a roll, and I think you stop at the end of the skid.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #16 on: 02 November 2019, 02:00:33 »
You always stop at the end of a skid, regardless of unit type.

The real danger for hover vehicles is that they can skid far more easily than a mech or wheeled/tracked vehicle, and if the skid results in them entering a hex they're not allowed in, they're automatically destroyed as a result.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 02 November 2019, 05:24:38 »
Sideslipping is different than skidding.

Total Warfare, page 67:
While superficially similar to skidding, sideslipping uses its own set of rules.

and

If the sideslip does not result in a crash, the vehicle may move normally (continue in the direction of the facing change) after the failed turn.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #18 on: 04 November 2019, 10:45:45 »
Yes, and sideslipping rules are more forgiving than skid . . . skid is what mech, wheel & track face on pavement.

So that whole bit about 'cruise only' . . . ?  Carefully check that b/c hovers sideslip!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."