Author Topic: Davion Guards lance in parade colors  (Read 1087 times)

Nips

• Sergeant
Davion Guards lance in parade colors
« on: 04 July 2019, 21:26:21 »
*Chug Chug Chug Thunk Chug Chug* <-The train-sound-analog of my painting progress this year.

Another chunk of life, another Battletech unit done.  This is the *Thunk* up there; I hadn't planned to do this unit so soon, but I've been slowly struggling through another unit and needed something to break up the paint-fight I'm having with that lance.

This one is a Davion Guards lance in parade colors.  At first I was a bit scared taking this on, because I thought it would be hell for the amount of straight lines I'd need to paint.  Then, after some practice and real close observation of some examples, I realized that the lines largely break along edges and seams!  Wooo, victory!

Then, of course after many hours of painstaking work, I found a way to mess it all up.  I used a suspect can of Army Painter Anti-Shine that I set aside a long time ago, and it frosted these 'Mechs up like a birthday cake.  Ugh.

Fortunately I was able to do a paint-over on the badly affected areas to bring the pop back to the main colors, and leveraged that frostiness on some of the edges to push the highlights further than I'd originally painted.  I kinda half-assed the metallic parts, even with a re-drybrush.  It's fine.  Also, looking at the red in these pictures, it looks really flat.  Oh well.

And then I partly messed up the base on one of them.  You might be able to see it in the pictures, and I'm just going to let it go.  I needed to put these figs to bed, so I can get back to the unit I was avoiding work on to do these.

Lesson learned:  Art is done when you say its done.  Know when to say it's done, and move on!
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Davion Guards lance in parade colors
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2019, 21:34:24 »
 :thumbsup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 21:41:22 »
A tip for when you get bad frosting from a matte sealer: use a gloss spray varnish to correct it and then apply your matte varnish.

Also, that Army Painter stuff needs to be shook like crazy first.

Nips

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 22:46:17 »
I actually tried several fixes for the frosting, and just nothing worked.  So I'm going back to my original fix: throwing away this can of Army Painter, and sticking to Testors Dullcote.  I've never had a single problem with Dullcote! (Except for running out at an inconvenient time!)
Proud Paper-Pusher of the Oosik Irregulars

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2019, 00:15:10 »
as always do your clear spraying indoors or on a very dry day
indoors you will need a good exhaust fan
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2019, 05:20:13 »
Problems or no, I think they look gorgeous!  :thumbsup:

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 July 2019, 05:26:15 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 07 July 2019, 12:46:33 »
Nicely done! 8) :thumbsup:
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index