Author Topic: What IS PPC ER or Heavy  (Read 172 times)

Primus203

• Corporal
What IS PPC ER or Heavy
« on: 18 March 2024, 18:45:11 »
Exactly what it says on the tin which ppc do you think is better? Er or Heavy.

With or without PPC capacitor.

Give your reasoning.

Lately I've been leaning towards the heavy as anything with three walk or cruise movement can keep an er ppc armed enemy in range. Even though its a little heavier its far more heat to damage efficient acting more like a bank of three er medium lasers with fifty percent more range and better damage concentration.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: What IS PPC ER or Heavy
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2024, 18:54:24 »
I don't know about that the extra 8 hexes of range (from no min and long 23) and 7 ton mass are a big bonus. I'd say on a heavier mech go ER and on a lighter one I'd go Heavy as you're more likely to move faster and 3 tons while noticeable isn't likely going to break the mech. A Panther LAG with a Heavy PPC and DHS is pretty nasty which is why I love the Wight.

On Aerospace or Vehicles though I could see uses for the Heavy vs ER as the damage vs range becomes less of an issue, its still an issue but then its more for mass.

Capacitors I think are okay on mechs with jump jets (and Aerospace) as they can break contact, cool down, and then jump back into the fray later.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2024, 19:42:06 »
ER. I just can't square the tonnage and range of the heavy. It's got a niche on heavies that have maxed their Gauss/AC20 capacity.

(I'd still rather a Blazer Cannon)
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2024, 00:39:51 »
I think the Heavy PPC is better for IS v IS games.  You want to get in close usually for your other guns, so the reduced range isnt that big of a deal--you do your best damage with IS mechs up close, and they tend to be slower so the worse brackets and minimum range are less deal breakers.  Melee tends to suffer with the HPPC min range, but IS melee mechs usually rock heat penalties from TSM and dont count on their weapons at all when the fists start flying.

For IS v Clan games, the ER PPC.  If a Dasher runs up behind you, and you point an HPPC at it, you are likely gonna miss when you cant afford to.  Likewise, if they bring lots of fast or long ranged things, the ER PPCs trade well compared to the other weapons.  An ERPPC versus a HPPC targeting something at 7 hexes for example, with a 2-3 TMM, like a Vulture?  The HPPC is on the 8+ side of the bell curve, so it diminishes greatly, while the ER PPC on 6s is putting solid hits into that Vulture the clan player cant afford on such an expensive frame.  With so many clan weapons having longer base range + speed advantages, the ERPPC plus a brick of armor is a good counter.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2024, 02:33:20 »
It is a question as the what to do with 3 tons in design .  I can't be specific as that would belong  in Fan Designs section of the site . In short 1/3 ER PPC and 2/3 Heavy for that 15 heat .

Mechanis

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2024, 17:43:45 »
The heavy PPC would be great...if it was IntroTech. In the actual environment it exists in, however, you are better off spending that mass on an ER PPC and trio of ERMLs, assuming you can get enough cooling, or going reverse and mounting an actual Gauss Rifle if you really want a big headcapper. Or carving out three more tons somewhere to bring twin SNPPCs, if you want a brawler.
Basically, Heavy PPCs are a gimmick weapon whose gimmick is done better by other things, so you should just bring those other things.

Register