Author Topic: StratOps/IntOps Warship/JumpShip/Space Station Calculator  (Read 24693 times)

Cryhavok101

• Captain
StratOps/IntOps Warship/JumpShip/Space Station Calculator
« on: 21 January 2017, 22:07:02 »
Most Current Link (Updated 7-20-17):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-CDKf4BJghLS2B52_9O5q4deG8h5G2A9W-hDcBHGcUY/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: I left this version as view only, and you can make your own usable copy by going to 'File' and selecting 'Make a copy'.

Edit: Fair warning, this works on google sheets, but not on other spreadsheet programs. It uses formulas that don't translate from one to another. Here is a link to instructions on using google sheets offline.

With many thanks to Dragon Cat and Daryk for their help troubleshooting, advice on layout, and suggestions for improvement, I present to you:
Battletech Warship Calculator using Strategic Operations (Edit: And now interstellar operations too) rules rather than Aerotech 2.

The Example on there is Dragon Cat's Anne Rosse Battlecruiser. (at least when I posted it that is what was there)

Instructions:
Green Fields need user input.
Light Grey Fields are automatic functions.
Blue is important totals.

The first thing you should do is go to File, and select "Make a Copy" this will create a separate version just for you, rather than everyone trying to use the same one.

Some of the limitations on items in the rules I was not able to get to function on this sheet, so you will need to use this in conjunction with the rules for items in the books. (For example, the rules only allow one mass driver on a warship, but you could put dozens on this sheet if you wanted)

The choice to have a Lithium Fusion Battery or not is included in selecting the type of K-F drive you want.

The weapons and equipment section has everything including bays, cargo, ect. This is not a TRO entry, and for the sake of not overwhelming the sheet, I needed to combine these into one section on the sheet.

Several Things are named in a different order than you may be used to, in order for google sheet's automatic functions to group them together on the lists. Things like Lasers' name starts with the word 'Laser' (IE 'Laser Large ER'). In addition to Lasers, other names like this are Bays, Cargo, Naval scale Weapons (Start with Naval), Capital Launchers, Subcapital Weapons, Gauss of all types (except naval).

Any infantry carried, whether marines or otherwise, are included in the bay personnel. Simply assign bays in the weapons and equipment section, and the number of bay personnel will increase appropriately. The battle armor bays have 3 types 4-, 5-, and 6-man bays respectively. If you want any bay personnel to have quarters outside the bay, simply add these as passenger quarters of the type desired.

One thing that came up as a question while working through stuff with Dragon Cat and Daryk, is that of marines. While some ship's stats list marines as a separate line, Strategic Operations doesn't mention any specific entry for them, and as I understand it, that inclusion is a holdover from old rules systems. My understanding is that these are handled by adding infantry bays to the ship, and possible quarters as well (via passengers). My guess as to why this is is that you can send marines out of your ship to board a hostile ship, so they use their own battle value (which you can calculate using custom infantry rules, I even have a link for another sheet that helps with that, in my signature), and are treated as a separate entity from the ship itself, though if they are on it when the ship is boarded, they can of course defend it. That is my guess. Either way, current rules do not have the marines as part of the ship any more than it treats other transported units as part of the ship, and this sheet reflects that.

Last item is, that I use passenger quarters as a catch all for any quarters you want to add beyond the calculated crew needed (the minimum), so that is where you would add extra crew if you wanted to.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Strategic Operations Warship Calculator
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2017, 22:42:59 »
It's a very neat little program well done I'm glad I was able to help a little
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2017, 09:23:47 »
That's a great list. Cant wait till I give it a try.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2017, 08:11:08 »
Fixed it so you can no longer set the weapons and equipment fields to 'Name', confusing all of the other formulas.

If you need to clear a field just select the cell and hit delete.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2017, 22:20:12 »
Fixed several formula involving Naval C3, and Fire Control calculations.

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 10 February 2017, 20:00:36 »
I just noticed that the NAC/20 has a weight of 25, not 2500.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2017, 17:50:05 »
Thanks for the updates!

assaultdoor

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2017, 16:30:22 »
I don't think the Tonnage Remaining cell includes the armor weight, unless I'm using it wrong.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2017, 19:29:20 »
I don't think the Tonnage Remaining cell includes the armor weight, unless I'm using it wrong.

Fixed, thanks.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2017, 22:56:33 »
It doesn't really like small ships like Bug-Eyes I did try
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2017, 00:02:40 »
It doesn't really like small ships like Bug-Eyes I did try

I just went onto it and tried to make the bug eye, using the stats from interstellar Expeditions, and by the end I only had weight for 16.58 tons of cargo rather than 102, but I couldn't find a discrepancy in the calculations.

http://imgur.com/a/XIzsg

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2017, 00:29:16 »
Okay, went into it and found a couple problems. One mine, one sorta theirs. I had something wonky going on with the officer/crew numbers, and that is fixed.

I have it automatically add crew requirements for non-bay equipment like the Large NCSS into the 'Gunners and other' section. They do not add it anywhere. However their bug eye conspicuously has 12 passenger quarters, the exact same number of people it takes to operate the Large NCSS. So if you added those passenger quarters onto my sheet it will have twice as many people as it needs.

If you get rid of the extra passenger quarters, and after my fix to the officer/crew calculations, the remaining tonnage is within a rounding of the correct cargo allotment.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2017, 00:35:51 »
They also allocate ALL quarters as Steerage on the Bug-Eye so that likely knocks it off a little

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2017, 01:13:09 »
Yeah, if you hadn't changed those to steerage it definitely would help even out the number. Those are one of the fields you can chance on my sheet (I hope you noticed that already lol).

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2017, 01:16:12 »
I have no idea where ISP3 gets a BV of 1169 for the bug-eye from though, unless that is a BV1 rather than a BV2?!?

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 25 February 2017, 16:48:32 »
Most Current Link (Updated 2-25-17): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vIkkuPFdquzNWIw3fyXM9NYsEI_DQMSli3Lgyw2gLLs/edit?usp=sharing

Updated to add:
Caspar and Caspar II technology, along with ARTS fighter and small craft bays.

Please let me know if I messed anything up and didn't notice.

Some Notes:
  • Once you select the robotic control system in the weapons and equipment section, you will also need to change all three standard quarter types over to the matching drone system as well.
  • ATAC and DTAC have a similar effect as C3 networks, and as such they have a similar effect on the unit's BV. This is something one would need to figure out when preparing forces for the battlefield, like any other C3 network. The percentages involved are listed on page 193 of Interstellar Operations.

Future Update Plan:
  • Add fields for Pilot and Gunnery Skills so Battle Value can be given adjusted for those. Done

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 26 February 2017, 10:17:34 »
Will you be able to put custom weapons and tech in also??

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 26 February 2017, 14:17:56 »
I have no intention of adding that, mostly because it would quickly turn into a mess. However you can add them yourself:

When you make your own copy of it, just go to View, select hidden sheets, and un-hide the weapons sheet. Add weapons as you like. Though anything with numbers that aren't static, like a Booby Trap or Naval C3, will not work right adding those numbers in there.

I would offer to help you put custom items into your own copy, but then I would feel obligated to help you put them back in every time I put a new sheet out with updates, because your copy wouldn't have those, and I'm not willing to do that for everyone that asks.

It was much easier to put the stuff for custom beasts into the Infantry Calculator I did, because there are rules for making them, so all of them would be drawing numbers and stats in the same way. Warship gear doesn't behave like that.

Some tips if you decide to put your own in:
In the Type column, getting the right type is important, because the sheet sorts things for numerous formula based on this. Types are Weapon, Ammo, Mass Driver, Defensive, Defensive Ammo, Bay, Equipment.
In the Crew column, capital weapons should have 1 there, standard weapons need to have the following formula: =1/6  Remember that if it doesn't make a to-hit roll, that should actually be 0, like AMS. Most equipment has 0, but some, like NCSSs or MASH units have some.
For any Ammo, remember that this calculates ammo per shot, so any figures you put in there need to be on a per shot basis.

I strongly recommend using simple rules for any items you put in. The MASH Unit is a prime example of what not to do in my opinion, weighing 3.5 tons with a free theater, and an additional ton per additional theater, made me jump through hoops to get it to work right. Don't do things like that. Having numbers based on % of X often will also throw things off, and require hoop jumping to get it working.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 26 February 2017, 21:16:19 »
Thanks for the updates.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 07 April 2017, 23:49:17 »
Sillybrit found an error in the C-bill calculations. The spreadsheet has been fixed now. Stupid misplaced parenthesis.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 08 April 2017, 19:52:52 »
New Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cg9RVZLCR_Ka5A7gqNoFPR2bOvl3BiLIUjpzRJEQiJA/edit?usp=sharing

Updated the sheet to allow you to build JumpShips with it as well.

The Major changes for users are:
  • The "engine type" field, which allows you to select station keeping or maneuvering drives.
  • In the "K-F Type and L-F Battery" field you can now select "Standard" and "Standard with K-F Battery" as options.

Notes:
  • It is important to set your safe thrust at exactly .1 if you are using a station keeping drive. This will affect certain formulas.
  • For a JumpShip, make sure to select both the station keeping drive and one of the two new K-F types.
  • I only just noticed that the * foot note in the "Advanced Aerospace Unit Base Engine Formulae" chart on page 147 of Strategic Operations says Warships can have station keeping drives, so have fun with that if you like, as this sheet definitely allows it.

As usual, please let me know if anyone runs into any problems with this.

Next update I am planning will be to include primitive JumpShips as well. I have no time frame for when that will be done though.

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
Re: Strategic Operations Warship/JumpShip Calculator
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2017, 10:54:16 »
Hi Cryhavok,

The latest link has the SI input (Cell B10) locked.

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #26 on: 22 April 2017, 18:48:00 »
Excellent timing for me!  Thanks.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2017, 10:13:28 »

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2017, 10:24:17 »
For anyone interested, I posted my own homebrew recreations of the canon warships, using this sheet, here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=57296.0

Cryhavok101

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2017, 11:58:30 »
New Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rKDdKk5b4wjZcsDrkciN03oQIZTjteRwh4Nh6wGY_Oo/edit?usp=sharing

I left this version as view only, and you can make your own editable copy by going to 'File' and selecting 'Make a copy'.

Made several updates to the sheet.
  • Fixed an error in the c-bill calculations
  • Added pilot and gunnery skill fields to the sheet, which will modify the BV2 as appropriate
  • Added the ability to create primitive jumpships.
  • Rearranged several fields to fit with the changes.

For the pilot/gunnery skills simply select the skills from the dropdown list and the BV2 will update accordingly.

For primitive jumpships, there are three important fields different than other ships. The first is you must select the 'Primitive' K-F drive.

The second is you must enter a Year of introduction (this is located near the ship's total tonnage and name). This is less about when the ship was introduced and more about the technology it is being built with. If you are making the ship in 3150, but using 2150 technology, put 2150 in this field, not 3150, as the sheet will do it's calculations based on this date.

The third is jump range. Primitive K-F drives have a range from 15 to 30 light years, and the K-F drive's weight is based on this range.

If you are not making a primitive jumpship, the year of introduction and jump range should be able to be left blank. If not let me know and I will try to figure out what is going wrong with it.

You can also now select standard or primitive docking collars for the ship.

Register