Author Topic: A representative unit for each House  (Read 6584 times)

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
A representative unit for each House
« on: 23 August 2019, 09:22:11 »
I want to paint a unit for each of the Great Houses to use when teaching new players how to play (assuming I get that chance).  What would you suggest for each House?

My only requirement is that primary colors should not be repeated if possible.  (In my list below, I'm hoping Liao green and Davion green are different enough.)

What I've come up with so far is:

Capellan Confederation: House Ma-Tsu Kai or 2nd St. Ives Lancers
Draconis Combine: Sword of Light
Federated Suns: 3rd Crucis Lancers
Free Worlds League: Marik Militia
Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance: Lyran Guards or Royal Guards

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: A representative unit for each House
« Reply #1 on: 23 August 2019, 09:36:27 »
Not the Davion Heavy Guards?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 23 August 2019, 09:47:49 »
Davion Green is usually a darker green (closer to OD) than Liao green in most cases. A good way to get the difference is to use a lighter colored primer for the Liao units or a different shade of green. I would go with the Warrior House over the St. Ives Lancers here.

As for the Lyrans, go for the Lyran Guards, as they are one of the main combat formations of the LCAF. The Royal Guard is a bunch of Social Generals who are soldiers
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #3 on: 23 August 2019, 09:57:17 »
Not the Davion Heavy Guards?
I'm concerned the blue for the Davion Guards is too much like the blue for the Royal Guards for the Lyrans.  (And blue is more a Lyran color than a FedSuns color...)
Davion Green is usually a darker green (closer to OD) than Liao green in most cases. A good way to get the difference is to use a lighter colored primer for the Liao units or a different shade of green. I would go with the Warrior House over the St. Ives Lancers here.

As for the Lyrans, go for the Lyran Guards, as they are one of the main combat formations of the LCAF. The Royal Guard is a bunch of Social Generals who are soldiers
Thanks.  I was definitely going to use a different shades of green for Liao green and Davion green.  I hope they're distinct enough on the table.  Only one way to find out, I suppose.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2019, 10:10:52 »
The Warrior Houses owe allegiance to the Chancellor personally, not the state, and they're not a part of the CCAF. As such I think they're not representative of the Capellan Confederation.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2019, 11:34:59 »
The Warrior Houses owe allegiance to the Chancellor personally, not the state, and they're not a part of the CCAF. As such I think they're not representative of the Capellan Confederation.

I disagree. 

The Chancellor is the State.

While the St Ives Lancers are traitors to the Confedeeation and it's Chancellor but will be offered atonement when they realize their error.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2019, 12:01:49 »
I picked Warrior House Ma-Tsu Kai because they're one of the few units that uses Liao green in their parade scheme (and I really, really don't want to try painting the Death Commandos scheme right now). I suppose Harloc's Raiders could use Liao green as well.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2019, 12:24:05 »
The Royal Guard is a bunch of Social Generals who are soldiers

The 1st might run into that in the 4th Succession War, they are elite until 3025, then regular. They move up into veteran in 3085 and elite in 3145.
The 2nd bouncebetween veteran and elite until 3025, are regular until 3054 when they become veteran and upgrade to elite in 3079.
The 3rd is elite until 3062, after which they are veteran.
The 4th is always elite.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2019, 14:31:38 »

Capellan Confederation: McCarron's Armored Cavalry, Death Commandos
Draconis Combine: Ghost Regiments, Ryuken Regiments
Federated Suns: Davion Heavy Guards, Avalon Hussars
Free Worlds League: Knights of the Inner Sphere, Marik Militia
Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance: Lyran Guards, Royal Guards

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2019, 15:47:27 »
XX,

I think your list is pretty good, with the possible exception of the St Ives Lancers - call me grog, but they're not a Capellan Capellan unit ;) How about Syn's Hussars - from FM:CC, "Dark green trimmed in jade green or appropriate 3-color camouflage trimmed in jade green" Go the three-colour camo base.

Also, use the hex base edges to denote faction. Capellans jade, Feddies mustard, Leaguers purple, Combine red, Steiner Ultramarine blue ;) Don't use bright versions of the colours, it'll distract from the basing & mini.

And I'd go Lyran Guard over Royal Guard - they're the backbone, and the Royal Guard can be a little ostentatious ... Yep, I know they're meant to be!

General comments - white is a pain to do until you find your zen path to whiteness. Having done a whole Level III for WOB, I dont' want to hurry back there. Greens, browns, and reds lend themselves easily and well to inks and stains, which produce tabletop quality with less effort. For example, you could do Davion Deneb Light Cavalry - base with tan, cover with teak stain, and detail - bang!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2019, 16:12:41 »
I think your list is pretty good, with the possible exception of the St Ives Lancers - call me grog, but they're not a Capellan Capellan unit ;) How about Syn's Hussars - from FM:CC, "Dark green trimmed in jade green or appropriate 3-color camouflage trimmed in jade green" Go the three-colour camo base.
Thanks!  I'm concerned Syn's Hussars might look too similar to the Crucis Lancers from a distance.

(I have to admit I'm amused by the idea of using House Ma-Tsu Kai for training purposes for a game.)

I want to go for dissimilar colors because sometimes new players will just pick their favorite color.  (However, yellow and orange seem to be in short supply as primary colors among House parade schemes.)

An alternative would be to use, say, a Ryuken unit for the Combine and the Red Lancers (or another Capellan Hussars unit) for the Capellans.

Also, use the hex base edges to denote faction. Capellans jade, Feddies mustard, Leaguers purple, Combine red, Steiner Ultramarine blue ;) Don't use bright versions of the colours, it'll distract from the basing & mini.
Already planning that.

And I'd go Lyran Guard over Royal Guard - they're the backbone, and the Royal Guard can be a little ostentatious ... Yep, I know they're meant to be!
This is how I was leaning before I started the post but I figured I'd mention it as an option.

General comments - white is a pain to do until you find your zen path to whiteness. Having done a whole Level III for WOB, I dont' want to hurry back there. Greens, browns, and reds lend themselves easily and well to inks and stains, which produce tabletop quality with less effort. For example, you could do Davion Deneb Light Cavalry - base with tan, cover with teak stain, and detail - bang!
I already know white is going to be an "adventure."  It's going to be interesting.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2019, 09:41:04 »
I will second the Lyran Guards, for an additional reason that you can easily slot them in to scenarios b/c they were involved in a lot of places in Lyran and also FedCom history- IIRC it was Linda McDonald's Lyran Guards who chased Victor about mid FCCW.

For the FedSuns to avoid the Capellan green . . . I think either Avalon Hussars (I use 17th) or if you want elite go with the DHG, but not the pinstripe era jobs.  The Avalon Hussars are a long time Davion work horse unit and the gray/red scheme can really pop.  While I was painting some last year for a tournament, I used the Warlord, Caeser and Templar as my guides/inspiritations since the big panels of red are clearly visible.

The DHG paint scheme immediately came to mind for the FedSuns as long as you avoid the pinstripes from when that was the thing.  A third of the blue/white/red will make it stand out from the Drac red and Capellan green- besides color differences you also have pattern differences to stand out since the DHG is not a color w/ a trim color.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2019, 11:52:20 »
House Kurita- Genyosha
House Davion- 1st Davion Guards
House Liao- Capellan Hussars- specifically the Red Lancers
House Marik- 1st Free World’s Guards
House Steiner- 15th Lyran Guards.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #13 on: 29 August 2019, 17:29:30 »
I'm concerned the blue for the Davion Guards is too much like the blue for the Royal Guards for the Lyrans.  (And blue is more a Lyran color than a FedSuns color...)Thanks.  I was definitely going to use a different shades of green for Liao green and Davion green.  I hope they're distinct enough on the table.  Only one way to find out, I suppose.

You may want to try for the Davion green a color called  "Brown Violet" (I have zero idea why they named it this... It has nothing to do with either brown or violet...) from Vallejo. it's a very nice OD green color.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 29 August 2019, 21:57:48 »
You may want to try for the Davion green a color called  "Brown Violet" (I have zero idea why they named it this... It has nothing to do with either brown or violet...) from Vallejo. it's a very nice OD green color.

Braun-violett was an RLM paint designation used by Germany in WW2, hence why Vallejo named their equivalent Brown Violet.  I assume that the name comes from the base green having both brown and violet mixed in for the final color.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 29 August 2019, 22:28:10 »
The painting guide that came with the previous intro box suggested VMC Olive Green for Davion green.  Since I paint mostly with Reaper paints, I was going to see if Reaper MSP Military Green or Olive Green would be a good match.  (And, if not, I already have VMC Olive Green.)

All of this said, I'll look at VMC Brown Violet (70.887) next time I'm at a FLGS.

MarikMilitaMan

• Sergeant
  • The Kendall Hammers
« Reply #16 on: 30 August 2019, 07:33:20 »
Thanks!  I'm concerned Syn's Hussars might look too similar to the Crucis Lancers from a distance.

(I have to admit I'm amused by the idea of using House Ma-Tsu Kai for training purposes for a game.)

I want to go for dissimilar colors because sometimes new players will just pick their favorite color.  (However, yellow and orange seem to be in short supply as primary colors among House parade schemes.)

An alternative would be to use, say, a Ryuken unit for the Combine and the Red Lancers (or another Capellan Hussars unit) for the Capellans.
Already planning that.
This is how I was leaning before I started the post but I figured I'd mention it as an option.
I already know white is going to be an "adventure."  It's going to be interesting.

Can't think of any House units that use Yellow, but the Regulan Hussars use Orange as their primary colour, although I'd go Marik Milita for your FWLM unit.

Generalstoner

• Corporal
  • "Iron Within. Iron Without."
« Reply #17 on: 30 August 2019, 17:56:33 »
The only yellow painted commands I can think of are Canopian.
Twelve Highlanders and a Bagpipe make a Rebellion.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 05 September 2019, 09:48:47 »
I did the same thing for running intro games.  I used the following commands:

- Marik Militia
- Death Commandos
- Davion Guards
- Lyran Guards
- Sword of Light
- Drakons
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 05 December 2019, 06:50:55 »
The only yellow painted commands I can think of are Canopian.

What about the Lyran Alliance's 1st Coventry Jaegers and their canary-yellow check-pattern?

Register