Author Topic: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery  (Read 182062 times)

sadlerbw

• Captain
Re: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery
« Reply #1140 on: 23 May 2018, 14:12:01 »
Same as a full-length 12-gauge. Low-brass, light loads = light recoil. High-brass, heavy loads = heavy recoil. Stay away from the heavy stuff to save your wrists, and face if you're one of those special people that puts the pistol grip close to it to aim.   :D

Heh, I own an 870 and I still remember the first time I shot it. I was excited, and for some reason the only ammo I could find at WalMart was 3.5" deer slugs. I think I bought three or four boxes of five rounds each. I got to the range and managed to put one five-round box through the thing...then called it a day and returned the rest of the ammo. That stuff HURT!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1141 on: 23 May 2018, 15:52:17 »
Heh, I own an 870 and I still remember the first time I shot it. I was excited, and for some reason the only ammo I could find at WalMart was 3.5" deer slugs. I think I bought three or four boxes of five rounds each. I got to the range and managed to put one five-round box through the thing...then called it a day and returned the rest of the ammo. That stuff HURT!
Rottweil Brenneke 2-3/4" magnum slugs were my ammo of choice for whitetail hunting (from age 12 to 21). We'd get full penetration at over 70 yards, through both shoulders. I wouldn't consider anything else even now, over 20 years later. Brenneke 3" magnum slugs are the heaviest I've fired, but they weren't any fun. Those slugs are advertised at over 600 grains. Both of those make my .458 SOCOM feel tame by comparison.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1142 on: 23 May 2018, 21:44:05 »
So...

For the holiday weekend I will probably be let out of work a couple hours early. And can use the that time to go home and start some lawn work or go to the range and practice a bit.  The big question is?

What caliber should I bring? 9mm, 40cal or 10mm?

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1143 on: 24 May 2018, 09:16:28 »
The big question is?

Yes.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #1144 on: 24 May 2018, 10:26:47 »
So...

For the holiday weekend I will probably be let out of work a couple hours early. And can use the that time to go home and start some lawn work or go to the range and practice a bit.  The big question is?

As much as you can afford.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1145 on: 24 May 2018, 20:30:32 »
well having spent the last couple years slowly hoarding a couple thousand rounds...fun time could last a long time!

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1146 on: 02 July 2018, 14:29:01 »
Ordered my first AK last week.  Some magazines will be here tomorrow and i should have the rifle in a few days.  It's going to be great.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1147 on: 02 July 2018, 21:35:14 »
Probably getting out two hours early again tomorrow.  Was going to take the 10mm and AR 15 to the range to test some new loads I worked on over the weekend.  But some coworkers wanted to join in, so I am most likely going to just bring the 9mm and AR15 plinker (red dot) instead of my more precise AR with the scope and heavy barrel. Should still be an ok time.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1148 on: 03 July 2018, 09:14:44 »
Probably getting out two hours early again tomorrow.  Was going to take the 10mm and AR 15 to the range to test some new loads I worked on over the weekend.  But some coworkers wanted to join in, so I am most likely going to just bring the 9mm and AR15 plinker (red dot) instead of my more precise AR with the scope and heavy barrel. Should still be an ok time.

I don't understand, why not take both sets, so  you can run comparisons?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1149 on: 03 July 2018, 14:38:40 »
Ordered my first AK last week.  Some magazines will be here tomorrow and i should have the rifle in a few days.  It's going to be great.

:thumbsup:

I'm excited for you! AKs are great fun. Be sure to check out all of Rob Ski's great videos on youtube (AK4774 Operators Union). I also like the Polenar Tactical channel on youtube for AK run n gun. Lastly, In Range TV (Karl, and Ian from Forgotten Weapons) have been doing a lot of 2 and 3 gun competition videos with Karl running his 5.45x39 AK 74 in de-Alpha mode. Also a solid watch!! Did you end up going with a 7.62 or 5.45 or 5.56? Be sure to let us know how it all goes!

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1150 on: 03 July 2018, 14:48:52 »
In praise of the AR...

So, I offered to sight-in a Springfield Armory first gen. "Saint" over the Memorial Day weekend for a coworker (despite being extremely busy with backyard projects). I dunno, it just seemed like the right kind of activity for some reflection, and a good fun project. You know?

I have to say, for being at the top-end of what I consider to be an entry level AR, I think the Saint is a fine rifle. Perhaps exceptional. I know this specific example has some upgrades done to it, but even excluding these options I would certainly not turn my nose up at one. I think co-development with BCM was a very wise move.

Anyway, the fellow at work said he wanted the Saint sighted-in for 500 yards. I took on the project not knowing how challenging a task it was going to be. He didn't have the right gear (cheapo scope meant for no more than a .22, and rings that were less than finger-tight). I had to make a few upgrades with a spare Nikon 3-9x BDC and Knights Armament type mount I had on hand (after agreeing to give me some reimbursement for them). Frankly, I was hoping he'd also buy me lunch or something for all my trouble, but alas... no dice.

So, I have a good system down for bore-sighting. Tackled this Saturday, and then woke up early to go shoot it in Monday am (unfortunately with my own ammo-- man I'm a chump). I also could not rouse Jacob out of bed to go with me to help be my spotter. Oh, well...

What I really want to say here though (in finally getting to the actual point is); I was/am amazed at how easily the rifle was final sighted after the initial bore-sighting. And just how inherently accurate the AR is. Both in it's design, but also in it's ergonomics, and shoot-ability. I think a lot of folks forget that last part. The design really is very easy to shoot (in an extremely natural way).

This is no small thing to balk at. My AK seems perfectly capable of 2.75 perhaps 2 MOA (without cheap Russian steel). Which, I consider to be extremely accurate for an AK. However, the AR seems to be easily capable of 1 MOA, perhaps sub MOA. I'm tossing around these numbers too easily at this point, I know, but I really just want to illustrate how impressed I am with the design. I was hitting 6" groups at 300 yards right off the bat after just 6-8 shots conservatively at 100 yards for adjustment. I would love to continue to work with this, dialing it in, and see what it can really print on some paper.

At this point, I've seen some torture test results that shocked me. I've seen mud tests where the design far-and-away exceeded the results of ANY other rifle at the table. Bar-none. I've balked at the AR before, and continue to feel foolish as time goes on for all my remarks-- the more I learn/experience.

Still, it's been an interesting ride. Hearing Dad spew hate over the M16s his unit had in Vietnam. And carrying that sentiment into my own collection. Then, almost doing an about-face some decades (literally) later. I think my position has given me an interesting perspective, though. My respect for the design has not come through others admiration, but rather my own experience/research. FWIW.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1151 on: 03 July 2018, 15:44:04 »
:thumbsup:

I'm excited for you! AKs are great fun. Be sure to check out all of Rob Ski's great videos on youtube (AK4774 Operators Union). I also like the Polenar Tactical channel on youtube for AK run n gun. Lastly, In Range TV (Karl, and Ian from Forgotten Weapons) have been doing a lot of 2 and 3 gun competition videos with Karl running his 5.45x39 AK 74 in de-Alpha mode. Also a solid watch!! Did you end up going with a 7.62 or 5.45 or 5.56? Be sure to let us know how it all goes!
7.62 Polish AKM.  Figured i'd start with something basic.  I've been digging around AKOU's youtube since i ordered the rifle, great channel.  I know it will probably be Friday or Monday before it shows up but I've been bouncing off the walls waiting for it since i ordered it.   :D
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1152 on: 04 July 2018, 09:57:32 »
yesterday I took a coworker to the range.  He went through a Mag in the AR and thought it was fun and easy to shoot.  I had my Vortex Red Dot on there so he was able to get them all on the paper.  Tried a bit of pistol shooting as well. For once I was shooting my Steyr M40 and my XD 9 better than expected.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1153 on: 06 July 2018, 20:50:19 »
Riddle me this... I just started handloading for my AR. I was working to be very precise with the powder loads and weighed each of them.  Went to the range with my Nikon 3x scope on a heavy barreled AR that has about a 3# trigger.  Now here is the odd part.  The store bought PMC 55 gr ($6 / box) was hitting dead on at 100yds.  The stuff I handloaded was about 1.5" high and 2" left. I can understand if it was a bit higher.  Its the drifting left part at I am somewhat puzzled by.  Any suggestions out there?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1154 on: 07 July 2018, 04:03:45 »
Riddle me this... I just started handloading for my AR. I was working to be very precise with the powder loads and weighed each of them.  Went to the range with my Nikon 3x scope on a heavy barreled AR that has about a 3# trigger.  Now here is the odd part.  The store bought PMC 55 gr ($6 / box) was hitting dead on at 100yds.  The stuff I handloaded was about 1.5" high and 2" left. I can understand if it was a bit higher.  Its the drifting left part at I am somewhat puzzled by.  Any suggestions out there?

consistently high and left, or randomly?

if it's consistently high, congratulations, you're loading hotter than factory, and may be unconsciously holding more left with the recoil.  If it's random, then check your dies, you may have something out of alignment.  Third possible is to check your cases-I'm assuming you're using fired brass, there could be some distortion (so check your dies again.)

did you chronograph your load to make sure you were getting the velocity you're supposed to?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1155 on: 07 July 2018, 04:21:43 »
Is it the exactly same brand of bullets and weight? And model?
Different bullets have different BC (ballistic coefficient) which affects speed. Wind conditions can also pull you off (espesially with something as light as a 55gr 223 bullet).

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1156 on: 07 July 2018, 07:51:15 »
consistently high and left, or randomly?

if it's consistently high, congratulations, you're loading hotter than factory, and may be unconsciously holding more left with the recoil.  If it's random, then check your dies, you may have something out of alignment.  Third possible is to check your cases-I'm assuming you're using fired brass, there could be some distortion (so check your dies again.)

did you chronograph your load to make sure you were getting the velocity you're supposed to?

It was consistently high and left.  Even though I started with the start load in the reloading manual, it probably is a slight bit hotter.  So that explain the being and inch and a half high portion. Its the 2" left part that has me a bit miffed. I had the rifle sandbagged, so I wouldn't have thought that I was pushing against recoil that much to push it to the left.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1158 on: 07 July 2018, 15:35:04 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuEJjzon-g
Unless it's an M1 carbine, chuck the old mags and only keep the new ones.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1159 on: 10 July 2018, 23:39:56 »
Anyway, the fellow at work said he wanted the Saint sighted-in for 500 yards. I took on the project not knowing how challenging a task it was going to be. He didn't have the right gear (cheapo scope meant for no more than a .22, and rings that were less than finger-tight). I had to make a few upgrades with a spare Nikon 3-9x BDC and Knights Armament type mount I had on hand (after agreeing to give me some reimbursement for them). Frankly, I was hoping he'd also buy me lunch or something for all my trouble, but alas... no dice.

I have to ask.

Does anyone use a 5.56 for 500 yard shooting?

I'm not saying it can't do it, though I might question it doing it consistently, just that, it seems a bit far for your typical range set up.

I seem to recall a decent amount of drop off hitting 300 in basic years ago, so I'd imagine quite a bit more at 500.

My home range now only goes out to 200, so, I'm curious about the performance at that distance.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1160 on: 11 July 2018, 15:19:29 »
I have to ask.

Does anyone use a 5.56 for 500 yard shooting?

Absolutely. In fact, we were just shooting our SiG 556's at 700 yards.
Hitting man sized targets at these ranges is not difficult. 

I mean, with optics. We were using 1-4x Leupold VX-R's.
« Last Edit: 11 July 2018, 15:24:39 by IAMCLANWOLF »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1161 on: 14 July 2018, 05:35:08 »
Did my yearly shooting test to be able to hunt large game (moose, reindeer, deers).
We have to have at least 30 training shots, and then have to hit within the white circle (which is of course not visible on the target we shoot at :) ) with 5 of 5 shots.

I felt the fourth shot pull to the right as it went off, annoying as the other four was decent grouping.
The shots are at 100 meters and using natural shooting positions (so no shooting cane, shooting rests, bipod or anything like that allowed).

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1162 on: 14 July 2018, 06:59:12 »
Even with that little snag on the fourth shot, that's a nice grouping.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1163 on: 14 July 2018, 15:29:48 »
IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun day at the range with the new AK.  After i sighted it in shot it back to back with my AR for comparison.  Very fun gun and easy to shoot.

Next up on the purchase list, optics.  I'm thinking Primary Arms with ACSS reticles.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #1164 on: 14 July 2018, 15:52:55 »
I really like shooting the Kalashnikov. It's almost like it's a really good gun or something. ;D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1165 on: 14 July 2018, 17:14:22 »
Did my yearly shooting test to be able to hunt large game (moose, reindeer, deers).
We have to have at least 30 training shots, and then have to hit within the white circle (which is of course not visible on the target we shoot at :) ) with 5 of 5 shots.

I felt the fourth shot pull to the right as it went off, annoying as the other four was decent grouping.
The shots are at 100 meters and using natural shooting positions (so no shooting cane, shooting rests, bipod or anything like that allowed).

What Caliber rifle were you using?  Also is that a full sized target or 1/4 size?

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1166 on: 15 July 2018, 12:49:17 »
I really like shooting the Kalashnikov. It's almost like it's a really good gun or something. ;D
Shoulder is a bit sore, but otherwise it was a great time.  Really happy with the rifle.  Wasn't very dirty too when i took it apart to clean this morning.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1167 on: 15 July 2018, 21:54:25 »
Shoulder is a bit sore, but otherwise it was a great time.  Really happy with the rifle.  Wasn't very dirty too when i took it apart to clean this morning.

Even if it was...its an AK, you could clean it with gasoline and it would still work fine...

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1168 on: 16 July 2018, 11:19:04 »
Beautiful AK! Happy to hear you had fun. Check out the UTG AK Combat Butt Pad if that wood stock/stamped butt plate is too unforgiving for you. It will also give you a little added length-of-pull if you have longer arms.   

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1169 on: 16 July 2018, 11:41:53 »
Beautiful AK! Happy to hear you had fun. Check out the UTG AK Combat Butt Pad if that wood stock/stamped butt plate is too unforgiving for you. It will also give you a little added length-of-pull if you have longer arms.
I'm looking at a Zhukov style stock so i can put a more modern fore-end on with a hand stop of some kind maybe.  The problem is, it's so pretty i don't know if i want to.  Of course, that could be an excuse to buy another one...

Register