Author Topic: A C3 Company  (Read 2789 times)

bblaney

• Lieutenant
A C3 Company
« on: 12 July 2013, 19:15:04 »
So if I am doing this correctly it would be something like this

Command Lance
C3 Master/C3 Master
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

Lance 2
C3 Master/C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

Lance 3
C3 Master/C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

Would that cover it? If not what is missing?
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Marwynn

• Major
Re: A C3 Company
« Reply #1 on: 12 July 2013, 19:31:57 »
You need a total of 4 C3 Masters and 8-9 C3 Slaves. I say 8-9 because you have the option of having a single unit carry 2 C3 Masters to be the Company Master, or use two separate C3 Masters in two different 'Mechs and have the 4th C3 Master be the Company Master.

You also don't need a C3 Slave for Masters; a C3 Master can act as a slave to another master.

So:

Lance 1
C3 Master (A)
C3 Master (B)
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

Lance 2
C3 Master (C)
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

Lance 3
C3 Master (D)
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

A is the Company Master. B, C, and D are Slaved to A.

The C3 Slaves are linked to their lance leader: either B, C, or D.

If you have a 'Mech with 2 C3 Masters in it, you can instead go with:

Lance 1

C3 Master x 2 (A)
C3 Slave
C3 Slave
C3 Slave

ehlijen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 12 July 2013, 21:13:39 »
You need one master per lance and then one more master to connect all the lance masters together.

Ie

Company master -> Lance master 1   +   Lance master 2   +   Lance master 3
                              Slave 1                    Slave 1                    Slave 1
                              Slave 2                    Slave 2                    Slave 2
                              (Slave 3)*                Slave 3                    Slave 3

*Only if Company master and Lance master 1 are the same mech.

One more note: each lance can replace all it's slaves with masters, if it wants to, though those masters could not connect to more units. This is of course inefficient, but if that's the mechs you have available, it's a backup option.

That said, company level C3 runs into the problem that if you're actually playing on enough table space to justify a full company, you might end up with C3 being impractical due to being out of physical weapon range a lot (you're looking at 8*2 or 3*3 mapsheets recommended, some players suggest even more).
Awesome. Awesome to the head.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2013, 07:23:50 »
Thanks guys, thought I was close and now I have it right

Thanks again!!!!!
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2013, 04:55:06 »
I use C3 as supplemental not essential so I have 3 completely independent networks in a company.  This works for me and I am developing a hover tank that has a C3 remote sensor dispenser to fill in any channels that are lost in battle .  Even if the master is taken out I am not SOL since the C3 is nice but not the be all of my tactical doctrine. It is the existence of the C3 remote sensor dispenser that convinced me that the basic C3 is the way to go over C3i or boosted systems .

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2013, 10:23:47 »
I like C3 due to the way it can make poor pilots a lot better if they are now firing at short range, but are at long, mind you as pilots get more experienced I find it less useful, but it always has a niche to fill

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2013, 00:21:06 »
It's a nice mechanic, but IMO best used in ATOW games or scenarios that are balanced in some way other than BV. 

It's way overpriced and the bigger the network, the moreso it becomes.  At a 12-unit maximum network, your company's BV is increased by 60% and that makes for a nigh-unplayable disadvantage.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2013, 16:45:43 »
BV increase for C3 needs to be on a curve that lines up with its effectiveness.

The first few units make a huge difference, a single assault unit with LRMs and Gauss rifles goes from dangerous to holy shit RUN with the attachment of something like an Owens; additional units add a bit of firepower, redundancy, and variety improving the force a bit, but past maybe 6 units additional units are semi-redundant.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2013, 18:05:47 »
I did notice that Alpha strike uses the same pricing of +5% per unit for every unit so a lance still has +20% to each of the 4 mechs.. but  AS caps the damage at +30%.  Still pricey, but a hella lot better than TW for fielding a full company sized network.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2013, 19:30:06 »
At a 12-unit maximum network, your company's BV is increased by 60% and that makes for a nigh-unplayable disadvantage.

Yea, but if none of your opponent's 12 'Mechs have ECM, even with 160% of your battle value they're screwed!
I have spoken.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2013, 19:35:43 »
I try to allocate at least 2 ECM for the first lance with at least 1 more for each additional lance, but at only 1.5 tons each, extra suites are always nice to have.
As with all things, this depends on your opponents.  I tend to take more than that as my opponents have caught on to my heavy use of C3 and countered accordingly.