Author Topic: 3145 Mixed Tech; Electronics  (Read 1640 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
3145 Mixed Tech; Electronics
« on: 18 December 2013, 14:40:31 »
While looking at a few armor designs I started wondering-

Are Clan electronics one of the best things to start using in 3145 mixed tech designs?

I know we started getting IS built mechs mounting Clan grade weapons, but does the Clan versions of Active Probes, ECM and Targeting Computers with their weight savings put the old L2 IS versions out of business?

They are more likely to survive than weapons mounted in the arms, and shave off half tons for the first two and 25% more capacity with the TC.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: 3145 Mixed Tech; Electronics
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2013, 14:49:46 »
I choose to believe that we'll eventually see a single, unified tech base.  Whether it takes an all-at-once rules reboot or the passage of a few more in-universe decades, it's got to happen.  Not just for in-universe reasons like you point out (when you can build IS ECM and Clan ECM, why bother continuing to build IS ECM?) but also for meta reasons.  Deadwood has to eventually go.

Gray Jaguar

• Lieutenant
  • Trueborn
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2013, 14:52:10 »
While looking at a few armor designs I started wondering-

Are Clan electronics one of the best things to start using in 3145 mixed tech designs?

I know we started getting IS built mechs mounting Clan grade weapons, but does the Clan versions of Active Probes, ECM and Targeting Computers with their weight savings put the old L2 IS versions out of business?

They are more likely to survive than weapons mounted in the arms, and shave off half tons for the first two and 25% more capacity with the TC.

If I recall properly, I've spied some designs making use of Clan-spec Targeting Computers.  However, I haven't seen Active Probes or ECM in use.  Instead, it seems the Inner Sphere goes for parity in that regard with Angel ECM being the same for both sides and ending up getting used instead of going Clan-spec ECM.  Guardian ECMs still seem common enough and are probably still in use because the 1/2 Ton difference isn't as much of a gain compared to getting facilities to produce Clan-spec ER Large Lasers (with a full ton of reduction) or just importing awesome Kingston ER PPCs.
"Manei Domini think themselves superior because of their unnatural enhancements.  I cannot wait to show them the error of their ways."
  - Star Colonel Damien Furey

"I'm going to found a mercenary outfit, all the cool kids are doing it."
 - Duchess Designate Alice Duvall

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2013, 18:38:51 »
Deadwood has to eventually go.

Not if Ian McShane has anything to say about it.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Thatguybil

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2013, 20:36:04 »
Clan ERPPC with an IS PPC-Cap is one of the sillier mixed tech muchness. 

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2013, 09:37:52 »
I agree with the unified tech base that was mentioned above . Say 100- 150 years would seem fair .

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2013, 10:04:17 »
You may find the weapons in the BattleTech: Third League Turning Points: Free Taiw...St. Ives April Fool's product interesting. It's free, so it won't cost you anything to evaluate it.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)