Author Topic: A question of terminology  (Read 1015 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
A question of terminology
« on: 07 August 2014, 11:00:41 »
I've seen some terms like "brawler" and "trooper" bandied about in so many posts that trying to find a thread where somebody already asked this question was unhelpful.
So I'll ask, what are the characteristics of a brawler and what are the characteristics of a trooper?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
Re: A question of terminology
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2014, 11:25:29 »
brawler and trooper are general terms, nothing exact. But here are my understandings:

Trooper: A general purpose do anything unit. fast enough to keep up with most battles, powerful enough to be a main line combatant, and with just enough armor to be survivable. Usually a medium or heavy mech. In 3025, the Centurion, Orion, and Thunderbolt would be good examples.

Brawler: A unit that wants to get up close and personal; mounting almost entirely short range weapons, probably has an AC20 of some type and or SRMs, but is in trouble in any kind of open area. Classic 3025 units might include, Hunchback, King Crab, and Demolisher
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2014, 21:40:51 »
In my mind, "trooper" is defined by not just being a decent all-around 'Mech like Gurdel said, but also requires numbers.  In a Succession Wars era timeframe, the Guillotine is decently fast and agile, decently armored, and fairly well armed; but it's also a Star League-era design that's out of production, making it pretty rare and thus cannot qualify as a trooper.  These are the 'Mechs that you literally build your military around.  The Vindicator is a good example for the CCAF.  It was cheap, easy to mass produce, and reasonably effective, so they built them by the DropShip-load, making it a trooper 'Mech.

The brawler, like he said, is just something that wants to get in close and slug it out.  If you think about the origin of the term you'll get the picture: a brawl being a large fist-fight usually in tight quarters, ie a "bar room brawl" like you sometimes see in Westerns.  Imagine how a 'Mech would fight at punching range, surrounded by enemies, and with little room to maneuver, and you've got it.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2014, 22:06:53 »
Troopers are the main battle tanks of humongous mecha

Register