Author Topic: (Answered) Minimum Move is confusing  (Read 1542 times)

T9FURY

• Recruit
(Answered) Minimum Move is confusing
« on: 03 August 2019, 18:39:06 »
Hi there, just trying to get my head round the purpose of the minimum move rule on page 11 B:AGoAC

A Mech can move into the hex directly in front of it, even if it does not have the MP normally required. A Mech can only do this if it meets all of the following conditions;

- It has at least 1 MP to spend
- etc etc
- Such movement is the only MP it expends that turn (e.g; it cannot change it's facing in the same turn)

First off let me see if I have this correct, I have a mech that is standing next to a lake (lvl 1) to his right, to get in the lake while walking it would cost 1 (to turn), +1 (to enter water hex), +1 (lwater depth level), +1 (level change) for a total of 4. My mech only has 4 MP so it can't do anything else that turn.

Now if I use the minimum movement rule, it will give me the same result, 1 (to turn), +1 (run into water hex), not to sure whether I have to still apply all th elevel change modifers, if not then I have used 2 MP but I have to stay still now anyway. Even if the level change modifiers are applied for a total of 4 MP I still can't move any more that turn anyway.

So, what is the point of the minimum move rule?
Also, is there any other instance you may use it?

Instead of having all the extra nonsense why not just say Once you have entered the water hex you must end you movement, it would be a lot simpler.

« Last Edit: 03 August 2019, 19:47:19 by Xotl »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Minimum Move is confusing
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2019, 18:53:19 »
You have 1MP (lots of actuator damage).  You can still move up that 2 level change into heavy woods.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2019, 19:01:48 »
I'm not sure I understand your issue.  In different scenarios the rules are going to play out in different ways.  Your specific scenario only is equivalent if you have a mech with precisely 4 MP available moving into a hex that would cost 4 MP.  And you don't have to automatically end your movement after you enter a water hex.  What if you have 6 MP or 8 MP total, and aren't moving minimally?  You could keep going.

Also, you can't turn with minimum movement--only move forward.

Minimum movement means you can always enter the hex right in front of you, so long as it's not prohibited terrain.  So even if you're a 3/5 MP assault mech with busted legs and there's a level 2 hill with heavy woods right in front of you, you can still move directly into that hex (assuming you don't fall, of course).  That's useful.  As long as you have that 1 MP, you can move into a hex in front of you.  There's lots of situations where, due to damage and/or heat, that it's possible not to have enough MP to otherwise enter a hex.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

T9FURY

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2019, 19:44:47 »
Ar right I see now, I think I couldn't see it as curetly both mechs only have armour damage so haven't come across those scenarios yet.

Thanks for the clarification everyone  :)