Author Topic: Who writes the best 'Mech combat?  (Read 2281 times)

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
Who writes the best 'Mech combat?
« on: 03 May 2021, 11:53:51 »
Just about all of us are here at least in part because we like big stompy robots that go pew pew. The people who write BattleTech fiction know this, and so just about every BattleTech novel, and even a substantial portion of the shorter-form pieces that have appeared in BattleCorps or Shrapnel, appease this fetish with at least one token 'Mech combat scene.

My question is: who, in your opinion, writes 'Mech combat scenes the best? Who was most successful at making these scenes exciting and immersive?

For example, Michael Stackpole (who, I believe, claimed that he used to actually roll dice under tabletop rules for his battle scenes, while obviously fudging/re-rolling narratively undesirable outcomes) has been criticized for writing battle scenes that feel like a "tennis match." And I can certainly understand where that comes from; he has a tendency to write as if all combatants are politely waiting their turn to shoot, to describe the result of each individual weapon shot, and he doesn't go to much effort to convey any maneuvering going on at all even with fast light 'Mechs. On the other hand, although it may just because he was the author of so much of the seminal early fiction, many later authors have imitated this style (heck it's a habit I have to try to break myself writing FanFic or Shrapnel submissions), so presumably a lot of people must find it serviceable.

I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
Re: Who writes the best 'Mech combat?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2021, 12:39:42 »
For me, it's hands down Jason Schmetzer. There was one point where I believed that he has veteran (I'm not sure he is) based on his handling of BattleMechs as military vehicles, the portayal of pilots, and the tactics they used in combat. As someone who serves in the military, Schmeltzer's writing rings true for me. Even if it isn't entirely accurate, it's obvious Schmetzer does his research. 

EDIT

My personal thoughts on a few BT writers.

William H. Keith, Jr: A good writer. Funny, I can't really think of anything that stands out to me.

Michael Stackpole: The author of some of my favorite Star Wars novels. He's writing is pulpy in the best possible way. Very space opera-esque. I imagine his stories can be easily adapted to stage plays. I would ague 'Mech combat is not the main focus of his novels, it's character.

Blaine Lee Pardoe: Larger than life characters (at least most recently), stylized, frenetic action, Michael bay-esque. Sometimes plot points don't entirely make sense (at least without more context). Excellent writer with great flow when not hampered by obligations from TPTB. A bit opinionated.

Loren L. Coleman: Good writer, but his writing doesn't flow like others. It's realistic but a bit on the technical side. Puts me in the mind of a highly competent mechanic.

Jennifer Brozek: I'm not sure if she gets the credit she deserves. Her Rogue Academy series has me hooked. I was skeptical at the young adult angle, but Brozek is extremely good at character development. I even love the bad guys (I was actually rooting for them to win). The combat is reasonably realistic and grounded.

When it comes to depicting realistic combat while maintaining flow and excitement, I pick: Jason Schmetzer and Jennifer Brozek. Michael J. Ciaravella is also up there in terms of 'Mech combat.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2021, 18:09:16 by Hotham »
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2021, 17:28:33 »
EDICT

Overlord Kyros, is that you?  ???
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2021, 18:06:55 »
Personally, I like Drakensis and Cannonshop the best.  JA Baker is great too!  :thumbsup:

Hotham

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2021, 18:08:53 »
Overlord Kyros, is that you?  ???

I meant to say edit. I better change that. By the way, did you enjoy Tyranny?
"My mother told me to never throw stones at Davions. But my father told me, aim for their heads." - Daoshen Liao

"Call me, when you need me." - Danai Centrella-Liao

"Bath him, then bring him to my chambers." - Romano Liao

The Warrior Houses are the closest thing BattleTech has to the Jedi Order. Change my mind.

Middcore

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2021, 18:14:53 »
I meant to say edit. I better change that. By the way, did you enjoy Tyranny?

I've actually only watched some Let's Plays of it. I think I own it from an Epic Games store freebie but I haven't found the time an attention span to devote to a big RPG in quite a while.

Register