Author Topic: HBS Battletech: Heavy Metal Expansion thread. What do you hope to see happen?  (Read 28454 times)

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
Never to early to start talking about the Heavy Metal Expansion due out this "Winter 2019." What are you hoping for to be added to the game?

For me, I am hoping for the following:

1. Mechs, mechs, mechs. I expect that with a name like Heavy Metal, they bring a ton more Battlemechs into the game. I want to see Warhammers, Mauraders, Archers, Phoenix Hawks (PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE), Crusaders, Chargers, Wolfhounds, Stingers, Wasps, Dervishes, and any other Battlemech that was is TRO: 3025. Even if that just have the base models, the fun I could have is incredible!!!!

2. Comstar as a reputation faction. As much as I hate Comstar, it might be fun to see what kind of goodies that they have in their stores.

3. Expand the star map as much as possible.

4. I know that this one will never happen, but: Multiple Lance drops. I would like to play a 2 or 3 lance drop on a map with each lance having different objectives. A more strategic feel for the game IMHO would be fun.

5. More moral bonuses. Add another moral bonus to the mix like an aerospace fighter strafing run or artillery strike.

6. More flash points. Include the MoC and the TC in the flash points.

"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
Comstar won't sell goodies.  They'll lure you into their store, bash you on the back of the head and steal all your stuff.   :thumbsup:

NickAragua

• Master Sergeant
I use mods quite heavily (Battletech Extended 3025: Commander Edition currently), so new mechs and variants aren't that big a deal for me.

I'd definitely like to see multiple lances dropping in. Not too often, as it a) slows down the game and b) probably makes it trivially easy - imagine being able to focus down a single target with eight mechs. Kind of like what the opfor can do now. In order to do multiple lances, they pretty much have to expand the map size, even as is it gets pretty cramped sometimes. And give us a Union or another Leopard.

However, aerospace support or artillery strikes would be pretty cool.

I've also read people's discussions on infantry. And, in my opinion, in the 3025 era, infantry is hopelessly awful. Can't really do any damage, and you're always one stray MG burst from a Locust short of a complete massacre. So maybe bunkers or something, but that's basically just another form of turret.

Honestly though, at this point, I'm kind of done with "minor improvements" to the game, though. Between Flashpoint and Urban Warfare, it feels like HBS has pretty much crammed as much as they could into the game as it is. Now it's time to move that timeline forward and get some serious 4th succession war action going.

DarkSpade

• Major
Well, aside from the obvious(mechs!)....

- No mechs locked behind flashpoints.

- More variety to the spawn points for me and the enemy.  I'm bored of starting in the same exact spot every time I play on a map and already knowing exactly where the enemy is going to be and where the reinforcements are going to come from.  There's a lot of maps where just having the player spawn at a different map edge would be like playing on a whole new map!

- A revamp of how reputation works.  The factions all take things way too personally.

- A new mission type.  No idea what it could be, but I never foresaw attack/defend or battle+ missions coming so there's no telling what they'll cook up.

- Improvements to how it picks opfor mechs.  Don't drown me in thunderbolts right when I start seeing heavies.  Give me sub par mechs in a class before I start seeing the good stuff.  In other words, don't have me start facing Zeuses and Victors when I've already got a highlander.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
The ability to fight the remnants of the Directorate as a consequence-free loot pinata.

Something they took out when Urban Warfare dropped, for whatever reason.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
I believe the ability to add a sub contract ability would be nice.  Hire a lance of tanks, an artillery shot, or something else would seem cool if applied appropriately as some sort of re enforcement.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
I believe the ability to add a sub contract ability would be nice.  Hire a lance of tanks, an artillery shot, or something else would seem cool if applied appropriately as some sort of re enforcement.
I like that idea. Add it in as a special ability you can call in using a sidebar in combat, or something.

Actually, that would allow for a pretty good framework if it was put on a collapsible sidebar in the UI or something. Either pay for a tank lance to drop in (With a C-Bill refund when they survive, or getting the strike back if they all survive), do a few favors and get a backup friendly militia lance if you're friendly with a faction and fighting an enemy in said faction's territory, or just call in for simple Long Tom strikes and the like. Buy the strikes and such before the battle, and call in the favor/vehicle lance/strike as needed and it drops at the end of the turn cycle.

Small additions like that could be routed through talking to Darius and Sumire, actually giving you a reason to talk to them lategame, as well.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2019, 05:34:57 by Caedis Animus »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
And while limited, would probably be feasible without having to rewrite code for the game from the ground up.  That is what would need to be done to have more than 1 PC controlled Lance.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
More of everything really, especially mechs- it kills the canon of the game when an occasional Black Knight or King Crab pops up but the Warhammer, Crusader and Marauder are nowhere to be seen. If the problem is the copyright on their images, then they ought to just do new but similar skins for them.

I'd like the chance to further modify the ship too.

I'd also like a new mini-campaign. Flashpoints are good, but they feel disjointed due to being one-offs.

Also, to be able to install ECM suites on other mechs, not just the Raven because sensor locks and missile barrages are kinda too meta.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
More of everything really, especially mechs- it kills the canon of the game when an occasional Black Knight or King Crab pops up but the Warhammer, Crusader and Marauder are nowhere to be seen. If the problem is the copyright on their images, then they ought to just do new but similar skins for them.

I'd like the chance to further modify the ship too.

I'd also like a new mini-campaign. Flashpoints are good, but they feel disjointed due to being one-offs.

Also, to be able to install ECM suites on other mechs, not just the Raven because sensor locks and missile barrages are kinda too meta.

I don't think BT canon is what they are aiming for with the mech amounts, the King Crab is incredibly rare, and we are in the periphery, so assault mechs should be hens teeth.

And while limited, would probably be feasible without having to rewrite code for the game from the ground up.  That is what would need to be done to have more than 1 PC controlled Lance.

A simple insert to provide artillery and airstrikes would be awesome, no need to drop the units, just be able to purchase from the shop. The game is written with only having four units in the players control, that's pretty hard coded from what I understand, so giving us allies we can drop with may be beyond their capacity. IIRC there are missions where you have NPC assets, but you don't control them.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
Yup. The only 'control' you'd get over the lance is asking for them to drop.

While that's not really optimal, it's probably the best you can do under the game's rules.

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
Yup. The only 'control' you'd get over the lance is asking for them to drop.

While that's not really optimal, it's probably the best you can do under the game's rules.

Roguetech's already unlocked this for their 1.6 version, so its doable. See Tirak's youtube videos of it, they've upped # of units in the "Lance" to 8.
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
Roguetech's already unlocked this for their 1.6 version, so its doable. See Tirak's youtube videos of it, they've upped # of units in the "Lance" to 8.
Sweet, I really don't care about Roguetech, but otherwise, neat.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2019, 04:29:41 by Caedis Animus »

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer

That is freaking awesome. The only thing is I do not really like Roguetech as it goes far beyond what I want for a battletech game. If they would do a stripped down version with only Intro or Standard Tech only I would be much more interested in playing. Way too much cheese in some of their custom equipment.
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
Quote from: Notsonoble

I have mixed feelings about RogueTech.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I have mixed feelings about RogueTech.
How come?

I haven't done mods yet so i don't know what its like. I have survive first couple missions first!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Retry

• Lieutenant
How come?

I haven't done mods yet so i don't know what its like. I have survive first couple missions first!
My guess is, part of the reason is that they go way further in equipment than anything on the tabletop.  Basically everything from the table top including experimental equipment is on, and then some.

According to the Wiki you can find such things as Rotary AC/20s and Rotary Gauss Rifles in Roguetech, among other things.

DarkSpade

• Major
I just never understood why the creator of RogueTech is so hostile toward people making mods of their mod.  It's a normal thing in the fallout community.  That kind of attitude has kept be from getting near RogueTech.

From the sounds of it(Rotary Guass!?) I've made the right choice.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2019, 18:09:08 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Caedis Animus

• Captain
I just never understood why the creator of RogueTech is so hostile toward people making mods of their mod.  It's a normal thing in the fallout community.  That kind of attitude has kept be from getting near RogueTech.

From the sounds of it(Rotary Guass!?) I've made the right choice.
The Creator's pretty hostile overall, not just over what you said.

Granted, I don't like Roguetech because it's kind of the Marianas Trench of modpacks, but still.

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
The rest of the variants for the existing mechs, for one. Two, the remaining unseen (Phoenix Hawk, Valkyrie, Warhammer, Rifleman, Crusader, Archer, Wasp, Stinger and the Maruader.). Three, infantry. Four, better balanced RNG for missions.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
https://youtu.be/282NFD5CIFs

So I'm coming up blank on the 'Mech featured at the end of the trailer. I think I know what it is...but if I'm correct, that's the weirdest version of it I've ever seen...

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
It’s called the Bull Shark and it’s new from HBS.  Not a previously existing mech.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

YingJanshi

• Major
It’s called the Bull Shark and it’s new from HBS.  Not a previously existing mech.

That makes more sense than being a Marauder... 😄

DarkSpade

• Major
That makes more sense than being a Marauder... 😄

;D  I think you must be pretty desperate for the Marauder if you thought that might be it! Good news though, it's coming as part of the free patch.

YingJanshi

• Major
;D  I think you must be pretty desperate for the Marauder if you thought that might be it! Good news though, it's coming as part of the free patch.

Haha, well maybe...

But that and the Stone Rhino were the only two canon 'Mechs I could think of that had even a remotely similar profile...

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
It also looks like HBS is adding a new weapon.  Something called Coil-S/M/L.  Based on the small/medium/large naming, it's likely a new energy weapon.
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.

YingJanshi

• Major
It also looks like HBS is adding a new weapon.  Something called Coil-S/M/L.  Based on the small/medium/large naming, it's likely a new energy weapon.

Or perhaps a lower tech alternative  to a Gauss Rifle?

DarkSpade

• Major
So far we don't seem to have any written announcement beyond people posting what they saw in the streams so details are all over the place.   From what I've read, it's damage is based on how far you've moved.  Further you move, the more damage it does.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
https://youtu.be/282NFD5CIFs

So I'm coming up blank on the 'Mech featured at the end of the trailer. I think I know what it is...but if I'm correct, that's the weirdest version of it I've ever seen...
:excited: OMG

omega2010

• Master Sergeant
Or perhaps a lower tech alternative  to a Gauss Rifle?
I just checked the Paradox site.  It's an electrical weapon that increases the charge the more the Mech moves.  So I was right it's an energy weapon.  As far as I can tell small/medium/large classification is always the laser weapon naming convention so it makes sense it's energy based.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2019, 21:38:13 by omega2010 »
Who is driving?  OH MY GOD!  BEAR IS DRIVING!  How can that be?

Steve - They thought they could take the caps off all the markers and let them dry out. But there was one marker they never reckoned with.