Author Topic: Far Country  (Read 3439 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Far Country
« on: 24 August 2012, 18:13:20 »
Hi

Is the book Far Country considered canon?    Thought I heard somewhere it was so universally hated by the fans that it had it's canoness(canonacity? canonious?  Any of these real words?) revoked.  Found it at Gencon for $5 bucks.  Friend says I should burn it in some kind of fire ritual.

Also found the Summerset Strikers source book.  Is it just a companion for the show or does the existence of a source book mean the events of the show are canon?   the show was my first exposure to CBT fiction so I'm hoping it is.  Well not the little details like the Jade Falcon warrior accessing her vulture through the crotch.  Just the over all story.

Thank you
- DarkSpade
Battletech Player.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Far Country
« Reply #1 on: 26 August 2012, 17:42:34 »
Hi

Is the book Far Country considered canon?    Thought I heard somewhere it was so universally hated by the fans that it had it's canoness(canonacity? canonious?  Any of these real words?) revoked.  Found it at Gencon for $5 bucks.  Friend says I should burn it in some kind of fire ritual.

Yup, it's canon.

Also found the Summerset Strikers source book.  Is it just a companion for the show or does the existence of a source book mean the events of the show are canon?   the show was my first exposure to CBT fiction so I'm hoping it is.  Well not the little details like the Jade Falcon warrior accessing her vulture through the crotch.  Just the over all story.

Thank you
- DarkSpade
Battletech Player.

It's a companion of the show, which is canon but not accurate to what actually happened in the Clan Invasion. It's not like Hogan's Heroes was an accurate depiction of WW2.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 26 August 2012, 19:19:08 »

It's a companion of the show, which is canon but not accurate to what actually happened in the Clan Invasion. It's not like Hogan's Heroes was an accurate depiction of WW2.

can you elaborate?    Does that mean the the characters in the show are fictional(as far as the CBT universe is concerned)?   I know the dossier that came with the first Thor in MW:DA mentioned that it belonged to a Nicolai Malthus and there's a Nicolai Malthus in the show that piloted a Thor. 
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2012, 19:28:48 »
can you elaborate?    Does that mean the the characters in the show are fictional(as far as the CBT universe is concerned)?   I know the dossier that came with the first Thor in MW:DA mentioned that it belonged to a Nicolai Malthus and there's a Nicolai Malthus in the show that piloted a Thor.

Some characters are fiction, some are based on "real people", such as Adam Steiner and Nicolai Malthus.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 August 2012, 00:14:04 »
Hello,

In fact, one way or another, virtually all of the characters depicted in the First Somerset Strikers sourcebook (and the BattleTech cartoon) have appeared in canon (except, IIRC, Valten Ryder). But the show took some extreme liberties with canon to reach its target audience, and the sourcebook's attempts to justify all of it kind of breaks down on close inspection. As a result, it is treated as an in-universe fictionalization of actual events.

The First Somerset Strikers, commanded by Adam Steiner did exist, as did Nicholai Mathus and his Falcon's Claws, and Franklin Sakamoto was even there, and really is Theodore Kurita's illegitimate son (in fact, we see his mom get murdered at Indrahar's request as early as Heir to the Dragon, way before the cartoon; we likewise see Ciro Ramirez as early as the first Blood of Kerensky novel, where he fails utterly to impress his classmate Victor Steiner-Davion). The 1st SS and the Claws did spar on numerous occasions during the early Clan invasion, but their path was likely somewhat different, especially with regards to the Camelot Command event, where the show depicts a radically incorrect version of the Clans' origins.

Hopefully, that helps.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 27 August 2012, 20:21:08 »
Oh wow, I read the Blood of Kerensky series and never even noticed him.  /facepalm. 

Thank you for the info.