Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077  (Read 4847 times)

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
Cyberpunk 2077
« on: 28 August 2018, 15:06:40 »
Anyone else stoked for Cyberpunk 2077?  The gameplay reveal came out recently and I have to say it looks very very promising.  It looks like Deus Ex, Fallout, GTA, Judge Dredd and the Word of Blake got together and had a kid and I mean that in the best way possible. >:D

https://youtu.be/vjF9GgrY9c0

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Cyberpunk 2077
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2018, 18:09:58 »
For a second I had hope that it was the next gen to the RPG system not a video game :(
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2018, 18:23:16 »
The video game is based on the RPG

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2018, 18:24:38 »
yeah, but I don't play video games, I still like my dice and the table with fellow players and a GM. 
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2018, 00:46:55 »
Yes! Just watched it yesterday. Obviously extremely early days yet, and a lot of the gameplay felt very scripted, but at the very least I'm digging the look/feel of the world so far.

Combat--the combat drugs reminded me of Fallout, too. The ability to shoot through walls or ricochet around corners is an interesting new twist.
Upgrades--reminded me of the '93 game Syndicate. I'd bet what we saw is either part of a planned tutorial level or else specifically scripted--I can't imagine going through all that dialogue every time you want an upgrade.
Movement/Vehicles--walking/driving seemed a bit floaty, but kind of excited at the prospect of having access to multiple vehicles and being able to freely roam the city. The shootout on the road looked scripted--I don't believe any random encounter is going to end with the NPCs conveniently ramming their van into something.
Dialogue--the ability to choose how you want to approach a mission, and have that impact the story, is a big promise to make, and we've been burned on this before (hello, Mass Effect). Withholding judgement on this.

Overall, very promising, but I think we've all learned not to take the developers' word for what the game will do when shipped. Looking forward to further news and updates. 
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2018, 01:01:25 »
For a second I had hope that it was the next gen to the RPG system not a video game :(

That's called CyberPunk RED. R Talisorian is back up and running, and you should expect this new iteration sometime relatively soon.

Oddly enough, the title CyberPunk RED has nothing to do with Mike Pondsmith working with CD Project RED for CP 2077. You see CP2013 had a green and black cover, CP2020 had a red and black cover, CP203x had a green cover..... It was just red's turn again, apparently. As a working title CyberPunk RED got attention and so they've kept it for the new game.

Setting is after the 4th corporate war and before CP2077. Kind of a middle ground. Super psyched for this.

As to the OP, I'm really thrilled about this game coming out! Looks fantastic, although there are some game play elements I will likely mod out.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 29 August 2018, 10:48:49 »
Too nihilistic to be entertainment. No thank you.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 29 August 2018, 12:35:00 »
That's called CyberPunk RED. R Talisorian is back up and running, and you should expect this new iteration sometime relatively soon.

Oddly enough, the title CyberPunk RED has nothing to do with Mike Pondsmith working with CD Project RED for CP 2077. You see CP2013 had a green and black cover, CP2020 had a red and black cover, CP203x had a green cover..... It was just red's turn again, apparently. As a working title CyberPunk RED got attention and so they've kept it for the new game.

Setting is after the 4th corporate war and before CP2077. Kind of a middle ground. Super psyched for this.

As to the OP, I'm really thrilled about this game coming out! Looks fantastic, although there are some game play elements I will likely mod out.

- Shane
CyberPunk RED :thumbsup:  I like the sound of this

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2018, 17:15:08 »
Loved all... including the table RPG news... I know what Im going to play after HBS Battletech.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2018, 23:09:28 »
Looks fun to me.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2018, 01:48:41 »
Just bear in mind that it's taken six years from the first announcement to get to this point where they have a "SUBJECT TO MASSIVE CHANGE" demo. So don't hold your breath
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2018, 09:07:35 »
Too nihilistic to be entertainment. No thank you.

I completely agree. I've been searching for the right word, and I believe nihilistic is perfect.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2018, 10:08:40 »
It's a cyberpunk game.  Being dark and nihilistic is required: cyberpunk is always a very cynical setting.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2018, 11:17:57 »
It's a cyberpunk game.  Being dark and nihilistic is required: cyberpunk is always a very cynical setting.
It is claimed that reality has caught up to that particular scifi genre, but without punk.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2018, 09:08:00 »
It is claimed that reality has caught up to that particular scifi genre, but without punk.

Give a couple more years and we will be there... even with punk but called something else.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2018, 09:39:00 »
I will play it. Its CD PROJEKT RED, the makers of the Witcher 3. If it is at least half as good as  TW3, it will be a good game.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2018, 13:11:53 »
I will play it. Its CD PROJEKT RED, the makers of the Witcher 3. If it is at least half as good as  TW3, it will be a good game.
Many good games have been called something else just because those fell short of expectations.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2018, 19:48:13 »
Give a couple more years and we will be there... even with punk but called something else.

kids today don't have the Nads to be Edgerunners, nor the skill set or the Music.

Petulant whining in Social Media echo chambers won't effect real or lasting change, I say we Gen-X'ers should start some Boot-camps and train a new generation of Cyberpunks.

We can Skill Chip rats today, how long till we can do it for people?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2018, 01:58:54 »
kids today don't have the Nads to be Edgerunners, nor the skill set or the Music.
Don't be so sure, the synthwave scene has really picked up for that 80s edge.  A lot of good stuff there.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2018, 14:01:31 »
TVtropes warning!

I'm not into music, but complaints about it (and everything else popular) makes me think of this. And before rock sucked because it was popular and corrupted youth. Really, has anything changed?

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 11 September 2018, 15:33:46 »
We can Skill Chip rats today, how long till we can do it for people?

We already do that. Blind people can (in some cases) "see" again due to some cyberware connected directly to the brain where is supposed to be the optic nerve... doenst work for everyone though (there are some limitations).

Ill google for it and edit this If I can find the english version of what I read about that.

Edit = Not the original article that I read but it shows how things are going about this... https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608844/blind-patients-to-test-bionic-eye-brain-implants/
« Last Edit: 11 September 2018, 15:36:16 by Kentares »

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 11 September 2018, 16:43:45 »
TVtropes warning!

I'm not into music, but complaints about it (and everything else popular) makes me think of this. And before rock sucked because it was popular and corrupted youth. Really, has anything changed?

Science sais otherwise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

Drop Bear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 11 September 2018, 16:49:28 »
We already do that. Blind people can (in some cases) "see" again due to some cyberware connected directly to the brain where is supposed to be the optic nerve... doenst work for everyone though (there are some limitations).

Ill google for it and edit this If I can find the english version of what I read about that.

Edit = Not the original article that I read but it shows how things are going about this... https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608844/blind-patients-to-test-bionic-eye-brain-implants/

there is a section in the book "Chasing Captain America" where they go over recording the task of a trained rat, they then upload it in to an untrained rat, the "Skill Chipped" rat doesn't preform as well as a trained rat but leagues better than an Unchipped & Trained Rat.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 11 September 2018, 17:09:48 »
Me and my friends have already rolled characters for the Cyberpunk 2020 in anticipation.  ;D

Character creation for that RPG is a real roller coaster.  I hope the game is just as fun next time we manage to all get together.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #24 on: 12 September 2018, 10:46:31 »
Science sais otherwise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
Is that all around the world? Or just in North America?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 12 September 2018, 13:34:28 »
It's not true at all, it's just someone's opinion that they added a bunch of scientific sounding words to to make it sound more sophisticated.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #26 on: 12 September 2018, 15:44:54 »
Me and my friends have already rolled characters for the Cyberpunk 2020 in anticipation.  ;D

Character creation for that RPG is a real roller coaster.  I hope the game is just as fun next time we manage to all get together.

Lots of fun in that... good old times... but I played a lot more Shadowrun than Cyberpunk 2020.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 12 September 2018, 17:08:13 »
Lots of fun in that... good old times... but I played a lot more Shadowrun than Cyberpunk 2020.

My group abandoned shadowrun some time ago and have been inching for some kind of cyberpunk adventure ever since.  Luckily for us, there's a game actually called Cyberpunk to scratch that itch. 
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2018, 21:14:40 »
My group abandoned shadowrun some time ago and have been inching for some kind of cyberpunk adventure ever since.  Luckily for us, there's a game actually called Cyberpunk to scratch that itch.

You know its your game and you can play it however you want right?

My group had a magicless (not 100% magicless but still...) small campaign in Shadowrun (to please those players that complained about magic in cyberpunk) and it was fun (war veterans turned mercs A-Team style).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2018, 16:44:32 »
You know its your game and you can play it however you want right?

My group had a magicless (not 100% magicless but still...) small campaign in Shadowrun (to please those players that complained about magic in cyberpunk) and it was fun (war veterans turned mercs A-Team style).

I'm actually going to miss the magic.

What happened is that our group wasn't able to get together as regularly as needed to get the rules memorized.  As a result every time we tried to play it was like relearning the whole system from scratch and the rule book made that a bit of a chore.   We did try to start Anarchy. We got as far as character creation but in the end we unanimously hated it.  The more we read the rules, the less we wanted to even give it a chance.

The final nail in the coffin(chip in the slot?) was our GM.  As a long time fan of the world and one of the game's artists, he was really gung ho about running it at first, but the longer he worked with Catalyst, the less enthused he was about the game.  Now he's just short of hostile toward it.  Yeah, one of the rest of us could run it, then we're back at the first paragraph again.  He really was a best chance at keeping the game going since he's a rules sponge(and a damn good GM).   Not every RPG group needs a rules sponge, but they sure are handy.