Author Topic: Hurricane Florence  (Read 3066 times)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Hurricane Florence
« on: 10 September 2018, 14:52:55 »
Are any of the B-T fans staring down the barrel at this beast?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Hurricane Florence
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2018, 14:59:39 »
You betcha. Storm hits Thursday morning, I have a flight from Dulles in mid-afternoon.

...so what I'm getting at is I'm 50/50 on having a flight from Dulles.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2018, 15:23:35 »
I should be on the outer fringe of this so I'm not overly worried.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2018, 17:17:13 »
Two of my (college-age) kids are down in Norfolk with the house I pay a mortgage on... My wife is contemplating driving down there, weather permitting...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2018, 18:15:19 »
Norfolk is one of the worst possible cities to be in during a hurricane, given how much of the city is at or below sea level.  Is the storm expected to hit that far north?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2018, 18:28:17 »
Last I checked, it was going to hit "the Carolinas", which will mean at least a LOT of rain for Norfolk.  My house is at elevation 12', so I'm hoping it's not a direct hit.  Isabel put water halfway up the back yard...
« Last Edit: 10 September 2018, 20:01:22 by Daryk »

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2018, 19:53:08 »
According to the Weather Channel, the ground is heavily saturated throughout the region, so high winds are the least of everyone's problems.

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2018, 22:08:32 »
I suspect it won't be horrible where I am in VA (south of DC and N of Richmond), but I'd be willing to bet that Hampton Roads, Poquoson, and probably even Richmond are going to get doused by the rain.   The Rappahannock river which is downtown will probably rise again and flood out the riverside parks.  Hopefully it doesn't get any worse than that.  The ground around here is saturated so there is likely going to be quite a bit of standing water.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2018, 00:58:40 »
Just stay safe you lot!
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2018, 01:11:11 »
I'm just hoping that I can find bottled water tomorrow.  I work late and hit one grocer and BJs before heading home tonight and both were wiped out.  I'm in and out of work tomorrow a couple hours early so I'm hoping to have more time available if I have to go running around to find some.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2018, 01:34:02 »
Norfolk is one of the worst possible cities to be in during a hurricane, given how much of the city is at or below sea level.  Is the storm expected to hit that far north?

Well, having been stationed there from 93 to 96, even a 'tropical storm' coming in, gets the navy to sortie all ships out to see. let alone a cat 4 hurricane.

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2018, 01:55:34 »
The Navy's already emptied Norfolk, 30 ships put to sea today.  Latest storm data shows 140mph winds, with an expected twenty foot storm surge, worse on the northern half due to rotation and winds.  Current strike projections are eye landfall just south of Hatteras, and considering the storm's size there's going to be a very large amount of water pushed into the Chesapeake area.  Evacuations for coastal areas of Virginia has been ordered as well as the Carolina evac orders yesterday.

Click to enlarge

Projections suggest a strong chance that the storm will continue to intensify over the next few days, potentially past 155mph into Category 5 territory.  Projections also suggest that the storm is expected to contact a high pressure area soon after landfall and remain in place, similar to Hurricane Harvey in Texas last year.  Rainfall totals have not yet been estimated, and will coincide with high tides due to the very slow movement of the storm once it makes landfall.

Good luck, people.  This is not one to play games with.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2018, 02:16:03 »
My brother and his family live in North Carolina around Fayetteville. We don't know yet if they're being evacuated.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2018, 03:57:01 »
Everyone be safe!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2018, 04:43:33 »
Hurricanes make me glad that I live at 6000 feet above sea level and more than a 1000 miles from the nearest ocean/sea.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #15 on: 11 September 2018, 12:13:45 »
According to the Weather Channel, the ground is heavily saturated throughout the region, so high winds are the least of everyone's problems.

Not sure whether it's the same south of here in the Carolinas, but here in Virginia we hit our average annual rainfall total around the end of July. It's been a VERY wet year- so the ground is absolutely saturated. There's been trees down in my area from fairly average thunderstorms- so while we're in little danger of storm surge all the way up here on the Potomac, heavy rains and driving winds could cause a whole lot of problems for anyone with trees near their homes.

Say, did I ever share photos of the four-story-tall oak trees in my yard? I should do that sometime.  xp

Nah, jokes aside, this is a big problem storm for us here. Normally it's storm surge to worry about, but this has geared up to be a bad combination of effects in Washington- and Florence is expected to move up the coast after landfall, so while the core walls won't likely come here we'll be in for a few days of very bad weather regardless, in a city that just can't handle more of what it's throwing. Areas along the river like Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria are already looking at flooding conditions in places days before Florence's outer bands will arrive.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 11 September 2018, 16:30:54 »
It is definitely worse in the Carolinas.  I have a friend who is a park ranger out on the outer Banks and I am fairly certain the water never receded on the sound side from earlier weather.  Fortunately for her they ordered evacuation and she isn't sticking around.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 11 September 2018, 17:02:34 »
Part of the wall on the river was submerged on my run this morning on Fort McNair.  They're putting in a line of sandbags tomorrow to keep the water back when the storm hits.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2018, 22:28:06 »
Stay safe folks.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 11 September 2018, 23:59:31 »
AND don't forget to keep checking in!

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2018, 02:22:06 »
Please, if you're in an evacuation area, do it! And I hope everyone is safe!
« Last Edit: 12 September 2018, 23:36:07 by Bosefius »
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #21 on: 12 September 2018, 06:09:39 »
Good luck and stay safe!

If you guys have any of that rain to spare, please do not hesitate to direct it towards the east coast of Australia, where much of the state of Queensland and all of the state of New South Wales is in drought with no relief in sight.

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #22 on: 15 September 2018, 16:15:36 »
Well, my brother's family made it through fine. They're without power and they've got a few trees down on their property, but no apparent damage to the house.

Probably helps that the hurricane track was a lot further south than expected, so instead of running right over the house they only got sideswiped.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 15 September 2018, 16:43:29 »
Norfolk was mostly missed, and my wife had no trouble driving down there last night.  The house and kids are fine, if a little damp.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 15 September 2018, 21:41:40 »
Glad to hear it..

Though i had a laugh at the talk radio earlier yesterday, where someone called in wondering "Why are all those dumb heads walking around outside, when they've been told for days to evac, or stay inside"..  IMO its just like when parents tell a kid not to do something, THEY ARE GONNA DO IT!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #25 on: 15 September 2018, 22:10:32 »
To be fair, there are plenty of people who are a lot older who did the same thing.  Saw on the news Thursday there was some guy, looked like he was in his late 60s at least who was planning on weathering the storm in his boat.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2018, 22:54:48 »
Been keeping track through the news, and it doesn't look like Pat Robertson's "Magic Shield" is working as advertised! 8)

For anyone caught of in Florence, god bless and be well! :thumbsup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 16 September 2018, 05:56:05 »
Good luck to everyone who is in the affected area.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 16 September 2018, 15:32:31 »
To be fair, there are plenty of people who are a lot older who did the same thing.  Saw on the news Thursday there was some guy, looked like he was in his late 60s at least who was planning on weathering the storm in his boat.

Did you catch that clip of the white guy, standing there in just shorts, waving a US flag, and head bashing, like he was at a concert!!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2018, 18:06:38 »
Good luck to everyone who is in the affected area.
stay safe and sound please
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #30 on: 16 September 2018, 19:27:24 »
Stay safe
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #31 on: 17 September 2018, 07:55:44 »
The jog west before landfall spared Virginia (at least this far north) much of anything- my flights went off without trouble. The opening bands of rain arrive here in the Washington DC area in about an hour or so from this posting, according to our forecast. (Should be breezy and get a bucket dumped on us, but that's the extent of it)

+Crow T. Robot+

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #32 on: 17 September 2018, 09:50:52 »
Did you catch that clip of the white guy, standing there in just shorts, waving a US flag, and head bashing, like he was at a concert!!

Seems like there's ALWAYS that one guy in situations like this LOL ;D ;D ;D