Author Topic: Marvel's Iron Fist (S2) [spoilers]  (Read 2912 times)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Marvel's Iron Fist (S2) [spoilers]
« on: 11 September 2018, 20:34:06 »
Don't let S1 keep you from giving S2 a watch. I can't think of a single returning character that I dislike any more, and Alice Eve rocked as Mary. Danny isn't a whiny child, and Ward has some redeeming features showing. It felt like a totally different series.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 08:58:55 by Cache »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (S2)
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2018, 00:59:49 »
The last two or three minutes of the S2 finale have me excited for season three, especially what happens on Ward and Danny's Tour of Asian Hotspots. Season 2 was better than Season 1 and Danny is still too  much of a softy. Davos and Priya were right in that regard, relationships create weakness. The best part was that Season 2 ending up being more about Colleen than it did about  Danny.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2018, 09:18:20 »
Yeah, the epilogue has me a tad excited. I did really enjoy the Danny/Ward relationship along with more Misty/Colleen. Did you catch the post-credit Daredevil teaser?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2018, 10:30:14 »
Lol, I was just about to start this . . .

S1 was painful for me to watch but I wanted to know for Defenders . . . my wife watched with me, but she hated S1 and constantly mocked Danny in Defenders- sort of like the Muppets hecklers.  BUT, we both felt he was a better character in Defenders and having him show up to help in Luke Cage for a few episodes really did work at helping rehab the character.

I am to Ep8, and I like this season.  Its is more cohesive as a story and uses some easily identifiable tropes so people can place the themes even with the story twists.  Everyone is WAY more developed in this season than last, and its not because of the previous season- its almost in spite of it.  My wife blurted out last night in either episode 7 or 8, 'that's character development.'  I am really liking what they are doing with Ward and wondering if he is going to become another crossover character in the Defender's support network.  Honestly, it drives home just how badly they mishandled the story of S1.

Crossover characters- I really like the way they are writing Misty and I think the actress does a great job.  She had some great jokes about her arm but you can tell it its still a sore spot even though she is adapting.  I do not know if any others come in but it was great to have Karen show up with Punisher, Foggy for Jessica, and in S1 Hogarth coming in to help Danny though being less evil than she comes off in Jessica Jones.  The bad guys who also cross over- Turk has been funny, the leader of the Hatchets was also in Daredevil IIRC.  Madam Gao rocks, I honestly look forward to her appearances because of what stunt she pulls off- she is Yoda!

Finally MCU continuity . . . we heard that Marvel had sort of given up on Agents & Netflix properties weaving into the MCU- I can still hope it does for the greater story BUT . . . Iron Fist had a Sokovia reference so far, and still seems to be operating in the same world though it might be time for a Spiderman reference!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2018, 10:34:35 »
I liked season 2 of Iron Fist better than season 1.  To me, it's actually the best of the season 2's of the ones I watch (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist).

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2018, 13:04:03 »
I stopped after Season 1 became more about boardroom shenanigans than kung fu master.  How does Season 2's fights stack up to say Season 1 Daredevil or Into the Badlands?

Edit: To clarify, I'm sure Finn Jones did the best he could in the time they had, but having a series about a super martial arts character being acted by a person without the background, training, or time to prepare really hampered their ability to sell the action in Season 1.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2018, 13:09:02 by TwinkieMonkieIIC »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2018, 13:09:09 »
Danny was coming to grips with being the head of Rand and the Hand's infiltration of of Rand- heck they had a floor of the building.

Like I said, my wife hated Iron Fist . . . but this she liked.  Especially the final episode, all sorts of interesting there- and I am coming to like Ward's character.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2018, 02:16:12 »
I'm enjoying it a lot more than season 1 (that is to say, I'm enjoying it), though I really think that the scene with the drunk lady demanding the villain choke her could have been left out.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2018, 09:09:50 »
Probably done for emphasis of ends justify the means being in contrast to his persona of a holy (self) righteous crusader.
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2018, 10:09:29 »
Yeah, but I didn't really feel like it added anything and I'm tired of how media always seems to feel the need to show us that someone's a bad guy by having them engage in unsafe BDSM practices.  It's cliche.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2018, 09:16:38 »
I just finished last night.  That was really good, but I *need* to know how Danny got his mojo back off-screen.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2018, 10:00:58 »
I think the guns have the power, not Danny, as they appear to be artifacts.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2018, 10:03:35 by Sharpnel »
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2018, 10:06:30 »
Spoiler tags, people.

Cache

• Captain
Re: Marvel's Iron Fist (S2) [spoilers]
« Reply #13 on: 14 October 2018, 09:03:18 »
Well, Netflix cancelled Iron Fist.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/10/12/17971874/iron-fist-canceled-netflix

The character may appear in the future, but the show is done.  :-\

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 14 October 2018, 12:13:35 »
Well . . . Corrine now has the Iron Fist, so it may be misdirection.
Colt Ward

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #15 on: 14 October 2018, 15:17:59 »
I'm banking on this being a prelude to Heroes for Hire as a new show.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 15 October 2018, 17:29:06 »
Well, Netflix cancelled Iron Fist.

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2018/10/12/17971874/iron-fist-canceled-netflix

The character may appear in the future, but the show is done.  :-\
Not as bad as it sounds, especially since Disney is starting their own streaming service.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 15 October 2018, 19:05:17 »
Yes, but so far it doesn't sound like the Netflix series are being brought over (and honestly, given the tonal differences between them and basically every other Marvel live action or animated showing that Disney has the broadcast rights to, I don't have a problem with that).

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #18 on: 15 October 2018, 21:31:09 »
I liked Season 2 better than the first. 

The characters all got deeper & Alice Eve was a great addition.

I died laughing at the end scenes with the Pistol & Sword/Lightsaber.  Both Corny & Awesome Looking

I'm sad to see it go, but, if it leads to Luke & Danny paired up in the same show like some are suggesting then I'm all for it. 
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #19 on: 15 October 2018, 22:46:39 »
I know I am waiting for Daredevil on Friday.
Colt Ward

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #20 on: 15 October 2018, 23:47:57 »
I know I am waiting for Daredevil on Friday.

Oh wow, I had no idea it was so soon.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #21 on: 15 October 2018, 23:53:42 »
Finally MCU continuity . . . we heard that Marvel had sort of given up on Agents & Netflix properties weaving into the MCU- I can still hope it does for the greater story BUT . . . Iron Fist had a Sokovia reference so far, and still seems to be operating in the same world though it might be time for a Spiderman reference!

This would be a great opportunity for that, before Sony snatches him back due to Venom.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 16 October 2018, 00:22:02 »
This would be a great opportunity for that, before Sony snatches him back due to Venom.

Venom causing Sony to put out new Spider-Man standalone movies after the way Spider-Man: Homecoming performed compared to Sony's ventures?

Not going to happen.  They've got a money-maker here and it's highly unlikely that an attempt to move the webslinger back out of the MCU would result in anything other than a flop.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #23 on: 16 October 2018, 06:05:17 »
I liked the first season...still trying to clear my schedule for Season 2. Its so much better to binge it.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #24 on: 16 October 2018, 07:23:16 »
I enjoyed season one, too. I found the less-grim-dark approach kinda refreshing as other people in my family could watch it without having to look away once an episode.

It fit better with many of the super-hero cartoon series of the late nineties and early 00s in tone and style. Although, I do like the choreography from the second season a lot better.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #25 on: 16 October 2018, 09:14:01 »
It was not so much the grim-dark, I warned my wife that Jessica Jones was a mind-screwing series with a lot of twisted crap.  I could only take so many episodes of that in a row, so no binge for me.  But the problems with IF S1 was the flow of the story and elements- which sucks b/c I think it is a great story but was so badly presented.

Then again I think DC still has MCU beat for grim in any series.
Colt Ward

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 16 October 2018, 09:30:12 »
If they don't do Heroes for Hire, they could do KnightWing Investigations as Corinne and Misty did spend a lot of time together in Season.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #27 on: 16 October 2018, 15:16:19 »
Her name is Colleen.

Skyth

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2018, 10:23:21 »
It was not so much the grim-dark, I warned my wife that Jessica Jones was a mind-screwing series with a lot of twisted crap.  I could only take so many episodes of that in a row, so no binge for me.  But the problems with IF S1 was the flow of the story and elements- which sucks b/c I think it is a great story but was so badly presented.

Then again I think DC still has MCU beat for grim in any series.

I completely agree about the JJ stuff.  Liked the series but could only watch so much at a time.