Author Topic: Favorite scene from all marvel films (does not inc deadpool/xmen)  (Read 4544 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Of all the 19 films in the actual marvel time line (antman, GOTG, thor, Cap, IM, Avengers, Spidey, dr strange), we've hundreds of funny, lovable, sad etc scenes..

BUT if you had to pick just one, which would be your all time favorite??

NOTE: this does not include the xmen series of films (different marvel verse) or dead pool (same reason)...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Kidd

• Major
Re: Favorite scene from all marvel films (does not inc deadpool/xmen)
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2018, 01:35:01 »
Biggish MCU fan here.

The high point for me is easily Avengers 1, Battle of New York.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2018, 02:18:31 »
Iron Man. When warmachine needs to say the password for the "patriot". And when Vision picks up thor's hammer. The iron man movie is awful (no charismatic bad guy), but that was funny.
I have grown tired of the choreographic fights though. It is 10 minutes of story and boooooring looooong minutes of just explosions. I must be getting old, but all those movies could be 1 hour shorter. happens with most action movies actually.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2018, 11:42:43 »
Iron Man 1.0 emerging from the cave.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2018, 11:54:54 »
Captain America: Civil War

The final Cap vs Iron Man fight - "I can do this all day".  A nice callback to the '30s cap, and showing that no matter what the world is, Cap stays true.

Honorable mention: Cap's speech to Shield in Winter Soldier.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2018, 12:08:16 »
I know it isnt one of the best shots from the movies but I loved the weapons demo that Justin Hammer gives to Rhodey and whoever in Ironman 2. Its just funny to me, and the stone faces from Rhodey with the Ex-Wife was priceless.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2018, 12:59:19 »
I know it isnt one of the best shots from the movies but I loved the weapons demo that Justin Hammer gives to Rhodey and whoever in Ironman 2. Its just funny to me, and the stone faces from Rhodey with the Ex-Wife was priceless.
Ooo yes.
Reportedly Sam Rockwell practised a lot for that scene, and it shows.

It makes Hammer feel like a second-string Tony Stark but with jokes that fall flat and clearly exaggerated narcissistic boasts (unlike Stark who usually delivers on his narcissistic boasts), and that's great.

Now I can't look at a grenade launcher without quipping, "Hippie control"!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2018, 13:13:00 »
Vision playing with the Hammer tying back into the earlier party scene, loved that bit.

The NYC fight might well be iconic of the MCU, but I love 'Hulk, smash.'  Then Hulk goes bounding off to hit the invaders.

Oh yeah, 'Puny God' to be followed by "YES, that's how it feels!'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2018, 13:54:38 »
Hulk smashing Loki aound like he was a rag doll. Funny as hell. Nearly everything else is Deadpool related.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2018, 13:56:17 »

LOL, that scene was funny, true. 

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2018, 13:58:14 »
It makes Hammer feel like a second-string Tony Stark but with jokes that fall flat and clearly exaggerated narcissistic boasts (unlike Stark who usually delivers on his narcissistic boasts), and that's great.
I actually feel a little sorry for him; he's clearly out of his league - but he still has one.  All the firepower that he brought WORKED except the thing he tried to adapt from Stark, the Ex-Wife. (Remember the wrist-rocket that took out the tank in IM1?) It's like taking a line automotive engineer and mechanic for Ford, competent and good at his job, and then handing him a GTLM Prototype and telling him to mass-produce it.  Stark's superhero technology is a good jump way past what our standard 'cutting edge' is, and the military put Hammer over a barrel.  Admittedly, that was part of his own bluster, but the Hammer droids (much of which existed as a suit before Vanko took over) were functional, as was everything else he put on War Machine.

He was good.  But he's not Tony Stark.

As for best scene, I'm gonna go with 'everything Shuri does' myself. "Sorry mother."
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2018, 14:12:59 »
Yeah, but the Ex-Wife was the only thing that he'd actually designed: everything else was old and had been in use for a long time.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2018, 14:16:36 »
If the Netflix shows are acceptable entries, I'm going with the scene in DD S2 when Frank Castle is describing coming home from Afghanistan and surprising his daughter at school...and how losing him family broke him.  That was a hell of a piece of writing and acting.  As a veteran it just hit really close to home.

If we're talking just movies, it would be Cap's introduction to Project INSIGHT in Winter Soldier for reasons that are Rule 4ish.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2018, 14:19:58 »
In terms of rule of cool, Cap's reveal in Infinity War.   Much Roundtop said, the world can change but Cap stays true.  One of his people is in trouble, where else would Cap be?

In terms of most powerful scene, it's got to be the scene in Stuttgart with Loki and the old man. It had more gravitas than Cap's signature "I can do this all day."  Even before he stands up, the old man stands out by facing a different direction from the rest of the crowd. In two dismissive, almost contemptuous sentences, he reminds the crowd that despite the costume and the power, Loki is nothing more than a thug with a gun. 

There have been many moments in the MCU where characters choose a course that will likely kill them.  Thor holding open the forge in Infinity War, Stark steering the missile in Avengers.

There are Obi-Wan moments, like when Rogers rides the Skull's bomber into the sea or when Heimdall saves Hulk as his final act.

But this old man knows that if he stands up, he dies.  His death won't change anything. It shouldn't be a surprise that another of Wheadon's works offers insight into this simple act.  "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2018, 14:25:15 »
Avengers when the portal opens above them and there's the 5 avengers Iron Man turns to Captain America "call it Captain"
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 13 September 2018, 17:04:15 »
I actually feel a little sorry for him; he's clearly out of his league - but he still has one.  All the firepower that he brought WORKED except the thing he tried to adapt from Stark, the Ex-Wife. (Remember the wrist-rocket that took out the tank in IM1?) It's like taking a line automotive engineer and mechanic for Ford, competent and good at his job, and then handing him a GTLM Prototype and telling him to mass-produce it.  Stark's superhero technology is a good jump way past what our standard 'cutting edge' is, and the military put Hammer over a barrel.  Admittedly, that was part of his own bluster, but the Hammer droids (much of which existed as a suit before Vanko took over) were functional, as was everything else he put on War Machine.

As a kid i knew three brothers.  The older one, was always trying to mimic what the middle brother did just because he was MUCH better at doing it (music, martial arts).  IMO that's how hammer and stark are.

In terms of most powerful scene, it's got to be the scene in Stuttgart with Loki and the old man. It had more gravitas than Cap's signature "I can do this all day."  Even before he stands up, the old man stands out by facing a different direction from the rest of the crowd. In two dismissive, almost contemptuous sentences, he reminds the crowd that despite the costume and the power, Loki is nothing more than a thug with a gun. 

There have been many moments in the MCU where characters choose a course that will likely kill them.  Thor holding open the forge in Infinity War, Stark steering the missile in Avengers.

There are Obi-Wan moments, like when Rogers rides the Skull's bomber into the sea or when Heimdall saves Hulk as his final act.

But this old man knows that if he stands up, he dies.  His death won't change anything. It shouldn't be a surprise that another of Wheadon's works offers insight into this simple act.  "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Now that's a great call.. :thumbsup:

Avengers when the portal opens above them and there's the 5 avengers Iron Man turns to Captain America "call it Captain"

IIRC right before that, when Cap jumps on the top of that cop car and starts barking orders at the cops.  One goes "Why should i take orders from a Costumed something or other", then cap smacks down 3 Chitauri, and the cop goes "YES SIR!"

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #16 on: 14 September 2018, 05:04:18 »
The one where Black Widow gets to do something other then be a victim or somebody's arm candy.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #17 on: 14 September 2018, 06:13:47 »
The one where Black Widow gets to do something other then be a victim or somebody's arm candy.

She's arm candy exactly once I can think of, with Stark in IM2 when she was still undercover.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2018, 06:29:27 »
People take that one time in Avengers 2 when Black Widow was captured, and make a big fuss out of it, conveniently forgetting her contributions in Iron Man 2, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Avengers 2 itself, Civil War...

It's like, I dunno, shooting yourself in the foot to claim the world is out to get you.

If there's any movie which did BW bad, it's Infinity War, she's just another gun in that movie. Okoye gets a better showing than her. Heck, MANTIS gets a better part than her!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2018, 08:59:04 »
People take that one time in Avengers 2 when Black Widow was captured, and make a big fuss out of it, conveniently forgetting her contributions in Iron Man 2, Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Avengers 2 itself, Civil War...

It's like, I dunno, shooting yourself in the foot to claim the world is out to get you.

If there's any movie which did BW bad, it's Infinity War, she's just another gun in that movie. Okoye gets a better showing than her. Heck, MANTIS gets a better part than her!

Remember she skewered Glaive in the opening scene, she was never just another gun, any more than Captain America was. She didn't need to be doing everything in the movie, but she had action in every action sequence that group was in. I'd be curious to know how Mantis has a better role, noting that Mantis really just immobilised Thanos for a while and put Drax to sleep. BW is never underrepresented in any of the movies, she's a serious contender in every movie she's in.

My favourite scene would probably be Thor's entrance in IW. THAT was the god of thunder, powerful, feared, leaping into battle and annihilating his enemies. Actually, pretty much all of Thor's involvement in IW, where Chris Hemsworth walks the tightrope of a character who has lost so much, and is now only held up by pure will.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 14 September 2018, 09:25:11 »
Remember she skewered Glaive in the opening scene, she was never just another gun, any more than Captain America was. She didn't need to be doing everything in the movie, but she had action in every action sequence that group was in. I'd be curious to know how Mantis has a better role, noting that Mantis really just immobilised Thanos for a while and put Drax to sleep. BW is never underrepresented in any of the movies, she's a serious contender in every movie she's in.
True, but what I mean is, she didn't do anything that any other character (e.g. Maria Hill for all I care) couldn't do. Heck even Okoye seems to have near BW-level fight skills. BW didn't faze Corvus Glaive or Proxima Midnight for long.

Whereas she had good scenes of her infiltration agent speciality in IM2, Av1, CA:WS and CA:CW.

Mantis was practically the trump card for properly dealing with Thanos, notice she only shows up in the scene at the very last, and when she was momentarily off-balanced by Quill's bashing that's when everything goes to pot.

Characters are at their best when they can contribute something no-one else can.

Actually, pretty much all of Thor's involvement in IW
Yeah that was pretty good

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 14 September 2018, 10:00:20 »
People also forget that the reason for BW spending most of Avengers 2 locked up was because Scarlett was pregnant at the time of filming and couldn't do action sequences.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 14 September 2018, 10:43:59 »
My favourite scene would probably be Thor's entrance in IW. THAT was the god of thunder, powerful, feared, leaping into battle and annihilating his enemies. Actually, pretty much all of Thor's involvement in IW, where Chris Hemsworth walks the tightrope of a character who has lost so much, and is now only held up by pure will.
For Thor that's right after "What were you the god of again?" and the Battle of the Gjallerbru Bifrost Bridge.  It's not just someone who's lost so much, it's also someone who just found himself again not just last Tuesday.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #23 on: 14 September 2018, 13:19:29 »
For me (a Quebecois), it's simply a little scene in Cap: Winter soldier were they decided to have Batroc, played by MMA champion George St-Pierre, fight Cap and both speak french. I found it a nice touch to include it in what is basically a little filler battle. It also establish that Cap should be at least bilingual if not a true polyglot.

A funny one still is ''puny god''.  ;D Loki's look and sounds after the beating is priceless. I would have him say ''ouch'' just for more laugh.  :D

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2018, 14:00:54 »

OF all the massive cheer's i have heard in theaters, THAT certainly ranks up there as the LOUDEST..

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2018, 14:05:28 »
I see other favorites already mentioned, so...

Avengers 1: Coulson calling Black Widow to tell her Hawkeye was compromised. We knew her capabilities from IM2, but this was a fun refresher.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2018, 17:10:52 »
Personally, I liked the whole opening sequence from Winter Soldier.  I've run on the Mall a couple of times, and "Was he wearing a parachute?" was priceless.  Black Widow had an awesome part of that whole piece.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 15 September 2018, 08:37:05 »
True, but what I mean is, she didn't do anything that any other character (e.g. Maria Hill for all I care) couldn't do. Heck even Okoye seems to have near BW-level fight skills. BW didn't faze Corvus Glaive or Proxima Midnight for long.

Whereas she had good scenes of her infiltration agent speciality in IM2, Av1, CA:WS and CA:CW.

Mantis was practically the trump card for properly dealing with Thanos, notice she only shows up in the scene at the very last, and when she was momentarily off-balanced by Quill's bashing that's when everything goes to pot.

I don't know if she didn't do anything more than Okoye, but even then, Okoye is pretty badass herself. The thing is, both of them threw themselves into a situation where they were wildly outclassed and managed to hold their own. BW is a spy, after all, not a soldier like the others.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2018, 09:50:02 »
Thor Ragnarok 'ITS MY BIRTHDAAAAAAAAAAY' scene in the chase at the end had me in stitches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z8BBBJRxMk

Then again that film was wonderful.  But my fave scene..hmm...tough to call.  Probably Cap and Bucky's fight on the road/bridge in Winter Soldier.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2018, 09:57:13 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #29 on: 15 September 2018, 12:54:09 »
Reading the other replies got me thinking

Is it just me, or was Avengers 1 peak MCU?

There are many standout moments after of course, but in terms of like, one perfect movie, that's it for me.

OF all the massive cheer's i have heard in theaters, THAT certainly ranks up there as the LOUDEST..
Thor has always been the true powerhouse of the Avengers. Banner is more survivable of course but Thor delivers the greatest firepower.