Author Topic: Tell me about: The Sagittaire  (Read 18252 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Tell me about: The Sagittaire
« Reply #60 on: 24 October 2013, 12:26:57 »
Actually considering that the Sag is produced in the Draconis March and considering that the Draconis Combine has suddenly started producing a preponderance of 'Mechs equipped with Hardened Armor, I can see a very valid use for Re-engineered Lasers on this variant...

(HINT: If I recall the rules correctly, Re-Engineered Lasers do full damage against Hardened Armor...)

I'll go ahead and make you hate life here, but... I wonder if the Combine might have turned around and built a few off the assembly line? Or at least salvaged a few and refitted them the way they want? An HPPC refit might be interesting.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #61 on: 24 October 2013, 13:46:37 »
Actually considering that the Sag is produced in the Draconis March and considering that the Draconis Combine has suddenly started producing a preponderance of 'Mechs equipped with Hardened Armor, I can see a very valid use for Re-engineered Lasers on this variant...

(HINT: If I recall the rules correctly, Re-Engineered Lasers do full damage against Hardened Armor...)

There was an analysis thread on the Re-Lasers a while back where someone ran the numbers and determined that they are too heavy to be practical against even the special armors they are intended to defeat.  They get a moderate advantage against Reflective and either break even or fall behind against everything else.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #62 on: 24 October 2013, 16:48:13 »
I'll go ahead and make you hate life here, but... I wonder if the Combine might have turned around and built a few off the assembly line? Or at least salvaged a few and refitted them the way they want? An HPPC refit might be interesting.

They're kinda jerks like that, aren't they?  ;)
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #63 on: 24 October 2013, 16:50:57 »
There was an analysis thread on the Re-Lasers a while back where someone ran the numbers and determined that they are too heavy to be practical against even the special armors they are intended to defeat.  They get a moderate advantage against Reflective and either break even or fall behind against everything else.

And I maintain my position that that analysis is inaccurate for actual gameplay considerations as it assumes infinite amounts of armor and only a single target location.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #64 on: 24 October 2013, 21:30:47 »
They're kinda jerks like that, aren't they?  ;)

Yeah, don't you hate when a nation hijacks someone elses assembly lines and builds their own variant of what was previously a proprietary unit?

Which reminds me, how did you guys end up liking those Cataphracts in 3050?  ;D

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #65 on: 24 October 2013, 22:15:07 »
Yeah, don't you hate when a nation hijacks someone elses assembly lines and builds their own variant of what was previously a proprietary unit?

Which reminds me, how did you guys end up liking those Cataphracts in 3050?  ;D

Trust Davion to screw up the upgrade by replacing the PPC with an Ultra-5.  CTF-3L all the way.  ;D

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #66 on: 24 October 2013, 22:40:37 »
Trust Davion to screw up the upgrade by replacing the PPC with an Ultra-5.  CTF-3L all the way.  ;D

Feddies and their autocannon-lovin'. You know the drill.

...Hell, it's a wonder they didn't mount a wad of ACs on the Sagittaire, now that I think of it. For shame, FedSuns! You could have built the Malice decades sooner than it actually debuted!  ;D

+Crow T. Robot+

Headshot

• Master Sergeant
  • Trust me. I know what i'm doing.
« Reply #67 on: 25 October 2013, 00:18:46 »
Well, there is the 9D...

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: 25 October 2013, 03:38:53 »
A bunch of LACs on a 95 ton jumper with Tarcomp?
I can actually see applications for that....
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Redshirt

• Iron Banner Addict
  • Lieutenant
  • Please wait while I make my Perception Roll
« Reply #69 on: 25 October 2013, 12:20:44 »

...Hell, it's a wonder they didn't mount a wad of ACs on the Sagittaire, now that I think of it. For shame, FedSuns! You could have built the Malice decades sooner than it actually debuted!  ;D

Psssht! We did that during the Jihad with the Longbow...  ;)
I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

This is a Sham! This is a Mockery! This is a... a... TRAVISHAMOCKERY!!!!!!

Wrong. Utterly and completely wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. You're wrong. You couldn't be more wrong. You're the creamy filling of wrongness in the middle of the wrong donut with brightly colored sprinkles of wrongness on top. You're wrong.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #70 on: 25 October 2013, 16:23:14 »
For the same tonnage you could paste in triple RAC-5 and nine tons of ammo.  Not quite as accurate against fast movers but that is a whole lot of lead flying around. 

Taurevanime

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 26 October 2013, 02:28:12 »

If I remember correctly, the Robinson built 'Mechs tend to be based around energy weapons. Ostsol, Watchman, Sentry and the Black Knight. With the Argus coming alongside the Sagittaire, but it has autocannons. But one could argue that might have been due to those people at Achernar (Some of the variants have a far stronger energy weapon focus)

I always felt that this different in main weapon type focus was a neat little thing. I do not know if it is intentional or not, but I think they should stick with it in future products to promote the whole diversity thing.