Author Topic: "Legacy"  (Read 13617 times)

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
"Legacy"
« on: 03 September 2017, 21:42:19 »
So I bought this compilation at GenCon this year and finished it up earlier.

IT was awesome.  A great blending of the "old school" universe with the new feel (post Jihad).  Definitely one I'd recommend.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
Re: "Legacy"
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2017, 22:28:11 »
It was OK.

Quality was everywhere from awesome to awful. I thought it was going to tell how it got from point A to point B to point C, but all we ever got was this is where it is now - deal with it. I also thought we'd see a steady progression of upgrades through the canon variants, but it was mostly old school introtech 5H - once upgraded to a custom configuration, but then rebuilt to 5H standard until the end where it again got custom mods.
« Last Edit: 04 September 2017, 11:12:28 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2017, 18:56:10 »

IT was awesome.  A great blending of the "old school" universe with the new feel (post Jihad).  Definitely one I'd recommend.

:D  That warms the cockles of my heart.

It was OK.

Quality was everywhere from awesome to awful. I thought it was going to tell how it got from point A to point B to point C, but all we ever got was this is where it is now - deal with it. I also thought we'd see a steady progression of upgrades through the canon variants, but it was mostly old school introtech 5H - once upgraded to a custom configuration, but then rebuilt to 5H standard until the end where it again got custom mods.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I know we all worked very hard on this.

Sadly, to cover the entire three hundred year history of the focus Grasshopper would have required a much, much larger volume than this. My feeling (and it is mine, I won't speak for anyone else) was that by leaving gaps between many of the stories, we as writers were still allowed the freedom to tell the story we wanted, how we wanted.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2017, 04:24:04 »
No chance this has been released electronically?

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2017, 19:51:27 »
No chance this has been released electronically?

Not yet. I believe the plan is for 2018.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

KeVinK

• Freelance Writer
  • Recruit
  • Storyteller
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 17:52:18 »

Thanks for the kind words. It was my first BT outing in a long time, something I really enjoyed working on, and it's good to hear someone liked it.
-- KeVin K.

"It's your dream; make it work." - Valerie K.
"Kevin is an incomplete ingrate." - Jason Hardy

KeVinK

• Freelance Writer
  • Recruit
  • Storyteller
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 18:05:46 »
It was OK.

And that hack Killiany couldn't even get the thing built fer chrissakes.

Actually, what Jaim Magnus said: The canvas was deliberately broad so each of us could tell the story we found in the concept without crowding each other or having each of us lockstepped into whatever had gone before. This gives the 'Mech and the world around it room to grow and change. It also leaves space, and creates opportunities, for other writers to fill in the stories that still need to be told.
-- KeVin K.

"It's your dream; make it work." - Valerie K.
"Kevin is an incomplete ingrate." - Jason Hardy

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 18:38:28 »
I await for it to be published in print so Print on Demand. Sounds interesting.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 19:12:55 »
When is "legacy" coming out and how can I find info on it?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2017, 21:43:57 »
I've heard that it'll be available in 2018. Press release follows.

Coming Soon: Legacy - A BattleTech Anthology!

"The seventy-ton GHR-5H Grasshopper can outmaneuver and outlast some of the most fearsome enemy ’Mechs, making it an invaluable asset to battlefield commanders. Even an incapacitated Grasshopper will be rebuilt to fight another day, with a new pilot at its controls, because MechWarriors can be replaced, but ’Mechs cannot.

In BattleTech: Legacy, thirteen all-new stories chronicle the fortunes and tragedies of a single ’Mech across several tumultuous points in its wide-ranging combat history. Veteran BattleTech authors Kevin Killiany and Craig A. Reed, Jr. bookend this exciting collection, while other familiar names and new blood explore important moments in this ’Mech’s history of constant, unmitigated warfare that leaves no corner of the Inner Sphere untouched."

Available in limited initial print release at GenCon, and in wide release soon after.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2017, 15:57:54 »
It also leaves space, and creates opportunities, for other writers to fill in the stories that still need to be told.

For example, sending the thing all the way to the Clan Homeworlds if necessary...
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2018, 10:01:45 »
I wanted to pop back in to say I finally got around to reading my copy and everyone else's stories, and I'm proud to have been a part of this book.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2018, 11:35:08 »
I still need pick this up if i can get it Print on Demand.  I like having the physical book.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2018, 12:07:58 »
I still need pick this up if i can get it Print on Demand.  I like having the physical book.

Last I heard, that was still in the plans for this year.

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2018, 14:17:23 »
Since Cubby did link this post...

Just huge props to everyone that worked on this. I'm not the biggest fans of anthologies in general (not compared to full novels, at any rate), but I sincerely loved reading my PoD copy cover to cover in one sitting. I especially liked the more personal view of the Kentares Massacre. It's still one of the most shameful moments of DCMS history but I appreciate the way "Swords of Light and Darkness" put a human face, and a human cost, to the actions of the Combine. Well done.

My hat is off to you all.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 10 September 2018, 18:38:48 »
Thanks, that means a lot.

Got my copy in the mail today. :D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #16 on: 10 September 2018, 18:40:45 »
Thanks, that means a lot.

Got my copy in the mail today. :D
Dido!  Only happy happened to me other day.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2020, 17:49:46 by Wrangler »

Colonial13

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2018, 23:06:09 »
Maybe it has just been a long day... but where is the link to order a print on demand copy??? I can’t find anything on the CGL site.
That moment when you realize all your favorite mechs are Capellan designs... *shrug* Long live the Chancellor!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 11 September 2018, 03:52:17 »

aidan_kell

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 08 October 2018, 16:16:23 »
I just got my copy last week from Amazon, and I just finished Choices and Chances by Chris Hussey. It's nice to see a break from tradition with an open, happy ending. I've enjoyed every story so far, and the concept behind the anthology is cool.

Thanks to everyone involved.
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

FaithBomb

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 19 December 2018, 13:20:20 »
I got around to reading this a few weeks ago, and was I ever pleased. I knew the general premise going in, but this sort of thing can be really hard to pull off in a compelling way. This project nailed it. Probably the greatest feat that the authors pulled off was lending actual depth and emotion to a format that leaves almost no room for character development. It's hard enough to get readers to connect emotionally with a character when you have a full novel, but near impossible in the short clip format of this book. Yet they managed to, and I was left caring what happened to the 'mech itself, beyond just connecting with an individual pilot here or there.
Some people say I'm a marshmallow...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2019, 04:28:01 »
I just finished BattleTech’s Anthology – Legacy it’s a great book a real credit to the universe.  Unlike almost every other BattleTech book the human characters take a back seat and it is the BattleMech that takes centre stage in this case the BattleMech is a Grasshopper.

The first story “What’s in a name” is set on Bryant in 2779 and establishes that this is one of the first Grasshopper’s to be built in the development lab.  This lab comes under attack and the BattleMech gains its name from one of the builders of the Mech. 

The next story “Swords of Light and Darkness” takes the Grasshopper on one of its darkest moments set in 2797 the BattleMech is in the possession of the Draconis Combine and is involved in the Kentares Massacre.

By 2840 the Grasshopper has passed into the hands of the Capellan Confederation which is where “Fates and Fortunes” the third story is set.  The Grasshopper has shown some wear and tear and is almost sent back to the lab that developed it before that lab is targeted and destroyed.

“The Forgotten Places” takes place in 2973 and takes the BattleMech back into the Federated Suns.  Its pilot descends from Combine blood and is essentially a slave to her Federated Suns masters.  In another dark chapter the Grasshopper is eventually found in an abandoned DropShip and fights in a raid on the planet by Combine forces.

Set after the turn of the 31st Century in 3004 “One Man’s Trash” is set in the Free Worlds League.  The pilot in the seat doesn’t appreciate the Grasshopper to start with knowing he is filling a seat of a dead MechWarrior but over the course of the story and during a fight with the Lyrans he learns that there’s something special about the Mech.

The next story takes the Grasshopper into the Lyran Commonwealth.  “Lightning Strike” is set 34 years after the last story in 3038 and comes to a pilot who has recently trained with the NAIS as the tactics of the Federated Suns spread over the Lyran realm.  In this story the Grasshopper has been “upgraded” and given improved weapons unfortunately raiding the Draconis Combine doesn’t entirely go to plan.

“Choices and Chances” keeps the Grasshopper in the Federated Commonwealth and takes the story into 3049 to a pilot who suffers from the Grasshopper’s “Survivor Complex” surviving the loss of her unit.  In this story the Grasshopper passes into the Periphery.  The Grasshopper eventually passes into the hands of the Jade Falcon Clan and is one of the nicest stories which gives a nice resolution.

Our next story is set 7 years after the last ends and the Grashopper has passed back into Inner Sphere possession returning to the Capellan Confederation in “The Third Pillar.”  This story is set as the Lyran Alliance splits from the Federated Commonwealth and the Grasshopper is assigned to Lyran warriors who refuse to abandon the Federated Commonwealth.  I won’t give it away but this is one of the most satisfying stories and leaves a lot of potential for follow up stories at the end.

“Earthbound” is set in 3060 on the planet Huntress during Task Force Serpent’s assault on Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Of the stories it is one of the more obscure and interesting as it tells the story of a Jade Falcon aerospace pilot who has joined the Smoke Jaguars and is now one of the first ProtoMech pilots.  The Grasshopper is the invader in this story and unlike the other stories we don’t actually find out this pilot’s name.

Our next story takes us into the FedCom Civil War in 3063 and tells the story of a pilot defending her home on Newtown Square.  “Underfoot” is a story that shows the damage that a wider conflict like the Civil War does to individual planets.  One thing I found interesting about this story was the drone news cameras of the reporter and the humanitarian organisation “Doctors under Fire.”  Of all the Grasshopper’s stories this one has one of the saddest endings but not in the way you think.

This book could have ended in “Homecoming” set during the Jihad in 3078 the Grasshopper returns to Bryant for the first time in this book taking the Mech full circle.  Joining the Draconis Combine’s assault forces that are coming to liberate the world.

“End of the Road” is our Grasshopper’s swansong and brings us to the Liberation of Terra in 3078.  As part of the Stone’s Lament.  With walk-on and off appearances by Devlin Stone “End of the Road” brings the Grasshopper to one of its most brutal fights.  This story brings the Grasshopper to the end of its working life.

The Epologue is set in 3084 in the Republic of the Sphere on the world of Terra and shows the continued impact of the Grasshopper has on the future generations.

Each story tells a story of a different pilot and each one scores their name on a plate within the Grasshopper’s cockpit.  What I’d have loved was for there to be a list at the back of the book which had each pilot’s name, their service dates and how the BattleMech got there originally but that’s not a criticism of the book which is a really great read the stories stand up on their own and fit perfectly with the story of the Grasshopper.

Grasshopper, in spring
Arises like the Phoenix.
In fall, harvested.
-   Sho-sa Saburo Atsuda 2925
« Last Edit: 11 January 2019, 04:33:15 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2019, 06:32:09 »
Glad you enjoyed! It was great to work on a project which included so many different voices all pulling in the same direction.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 11 January 2019, 12:53:00 »
So glad people are still chiming in about how much they enjoyed this. It was a lot of fun to work on :D

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #24 on: 19 January 2019, 19:04:11 »
Seeing this thread just made me look to see if it was on my shelf. Surprisingly enough it was. I don't even remember ordering it!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #25 on: 19 January 2019, 21:53:34 »
ISF operatives took the money from your bank account and inserted the book on your shelf. it's CGL's new direct delivery program

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2020, 21:06:20 »
Our next story is set 7 years after the last ends and the Grashopper has passed back into Inner Sphere possession returning to the Capellan Confederation in “The Third Pillar.”  This story is set as the Lyran Alliance splits from the Federated Commonwealth and the Grasshopper is assigned to Lyran warriors who refuse to abandon the Federated Commonwealth.  I won’t give it away but this is one of the most satisfying stories and leaves a lot of potential for follow up stories at the end.

Thanks!  like everyone, this was both fun and stressful to work on, because I had a lot of room but also had to make sure I didn't mess up the follow-on stories!

glad you liked it: it was tricky to write, and hopefully, one day, I'll get a chance to write a sequel! :-)

Kles

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 18 May 2020, 18:54:02 »
I just want to pop in and say I loved this as well. It was interesting seeing just various little snapshots around the Inner Sphere and Clan Homeworlds all through the eyes of one ‘Mech that was at so many key events throughout the years. I had been meaning to pick it up for awhile and finally decided I should use the free credit on the last day for this book. My only regret was waiting to read this anthology.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 18 May 2020, 19:14:56 »
It's chock full of awesome stories :)

joechummer

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant
  • My blood runs the color of jade.
    • Philip Lee Writing
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2020, 02:24:22 »
Grasshopper, in spring
Arises like the Phoenix.
In fall, harvested.
—Sho-sa Saburo Atsuda 2925

Some trivia about this haiku: I wrote this purely as a joke and put it an email while we were discussing the layout of the book. DAK, our layout guy, threw it in as a lark, and John, our fiction director, loved it because, joke aside, it encapsulated the theme of the collection so well, so we rolled with it.

Some more trivia:
—My working title of "One Man's Trash" was "The S-Word" (meaning "salvage"; get your heads out of the gutter! ;) ).
—The main character in the epilogue is loosely based on one of my brothers-in-law, who joined the USMC after his uncle, a Catholic priest, suggested he join the military after high school.

Anyway, glad to see you all have liked this book so much!

Philip A. LeeManaging Editor of Shrapnel, the Official BattleTech Magazine. Author of BattleCorps stories A Wolf in the Eyrie, Half of a Warrior, Seeds of Loyalty, Whispering Death, Fragments of History, A Living Epitaph, Double Down, So Costly a Sacrifice, Rain Dance, Quail Hunting, A Show of Force, and A Keystone Arch, Seven Years' Bad Luck, High Value Target, The Face of the Enemy, Horn and Fang, and A Measure of Clarity
Twitter: @JoeChummer
Author Page
Official Website

Register