Author Topic: Cavalli’s Cavaliere  (Read 83723 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Cavalli’s Cavaliere
« Reply #180 on: 05 February 2017, 18:40:35 »
How soon do you need them?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #181 on: 05 February 2017, 18:48:38 »
Marco Steiner Memorial Bridge
Donegal
10th of February, 3072

Leutnant Axl Kruger let out a long sigh as he eased his vehicle into gear. Glancing across at the passenger in his front seat he nodded: "Ready to roll, ma'am".
Leutnant Colonel Renee Voss-Smyth was a pretty, compact blonde who had quickly risen to command a light infantry battalion in the 6th Lyran Guards based on her famous name and family connections. But since taking command, she'd shown ability and a willingness to listen and learn.
"Right, top. Let's roll," she said, barely glancing up from the personal computer sitting in her lap.

Kruger accelerated, around him the rest of the command element rolled forward.
At the height of the FedCom Civil War as the 6th Guards had faced off against rogue forces he'd thrown himself on a grenade and saved his platoon. That act of valour - and his amazing survival  - had been him promoted from the ranks of the NCOs and to Leutnant.

Oddly, the only position that seemingly qualified him for was driving the CO around.

After an hour on the road, the light battalion's vehicles approached the objective - the Marco Steiner Bridge, where a Level III of ComGuards had found themselves encircled and pinned down by the Blakists. While the 18th Division seemed to be rapidly falling back beneath the Lyrans, they were still dangerous and in this case had managed to pin down a large contingent of ComGuard infantry and armour.

Above Kruger, there was a high pitched whine as the vehicle's gunner shifted his turret with its .50 Cal MG to track potential targets. Ahead, Kruger could see the dilipatated bridge. It was blackened and bits of its arch missing.
Beyond it, muzzle flashes and streaks of light flickered in the dusk light as the Blakists poured fire into the allies.

"Top," Colonel Voss-Smyth said. She's shed her green forage cap and pulled on her conical Lyran issue helmet. The metal contraption hid most of her features in the dim light, but Kruger could see an errant strand of bright blonde hair peaking out.
"Top, I don't think the Robes are on the ropes like ole Victor Davion promised."

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #182 on: 05 February 2017, 20:11:39 »
Just played through the final assault on Marsdenville - a joint Cavaliere/ComGuard attack on a beefed up Level II of 50th Shadows dug in among the ruins.
And it was blooooody. Cavalli managed to score two head shots with his Gauss (Archangel in the first round and later a Marauder II) but we suffered baly.

We lost Lieutenant Candace and her IS Standard BA squad - they'd been shot to hell as they cleared a high rise building of Demon and Phalanx BA. Down to three troopers they finally cleared the building, when a ComGuard Cerberus decided to help and smashed a fist into the building, collapsing the whole hex. Yeah... only our guys were in there. Ultimate friendly fire.

We also lost a Fire lance mechwarrior.  Lottie Hausermann's Lineholder was destroyed as a Blakist Seraph and the Marauder poured fire into it. She stuffed up the ejection and got splattered all over the cockpit.

Everyone else was down to the bone - lots of missing limbs, no armour.

Write up to come.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2017, 20:48:48 by Nav_Alpha »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #183 on: 05 February 2017, 20:17:26 »
Awful...

What's a Heats Shot?

How much clantech power do you want? All classic, some uppers and a downer or two to square it all out? Mind if I run my TT-Toads? I'll sprout it as a PM first, of course.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #184 on: 05 February 2017, 20:49:39 »
Head shot, sorry. Corrected.

Don't mind - I was thinking they might be some Coalition allies later on as we roll into the Protectorate?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #185 on: 06 February 2017, 03:51:44 »
I fought in the Clan War. And what I just experienced was some of the most brutal fighting I've ever seen.
We pushed through charred buildings and toppled skyscrapers - some the victim of Blakist bombardments years ago, others from the recent fighting.
The whole way we were in contact - snipers, ambushes, mechs or tanks hiding in shattered buildings. I checked in with our PBI - not one man or woman has not been wounded at least once in three days of bloody street fighting.
Block by block we pushed the Shadows back, linked in with a Comguard Level III on our left flank and a big gal on our right before the Lyrans caught up.

On the 11th we got word the Blakists' 18th Division had crumbled - their supposed allies in the Shadows had left them high and dry to concentrate on the Comguard and Wolf forces and let them be encircled. Hell, rumour has it the Shadows even started firing on the 18th when it all turned to shit - we got word the 18th's CO was fragged personally by the 50th's XO.

Meanwhile, the 50th dug in and kept fighting. We spent three days grinding forward - high command thought they'd try and minimise civilian casualties by restricting artillery, but that left us just blowing down buildings close in - often grenading homes and cellars because it was the only option.

As we hit the inner west suburbs we were rushed in to assist a ComGuardt Level II as they bumped up against some seriously dug in MD. those Cyber bastards had a full Level II of assault mechs - almost all Celestials, backed by a couple Demon tanks.
Every house and office seemed to have BA dug in.

So we ground through them - Candace bought it digging out their BA. Her squad were clearing a building room by room when a ComGuard mech tried to help - first he pumped two Gauss rounds into the structure and then punched a big fist in.
Stupid bastard managed to bring the whole tower down and killed all of our guys inside.

That wasn't the only death - Lottie put up a hell of a fight but was just torn apart.

Word is coming down that the Precentor Martial is going to declare Donegal pacified. I'm not so sure - there's at least two Level IIIs still falling back out of the city, burning down everything on the way out - and that includes buildings and farm land.

As for us, we got orders to start a flanking run to try and catch any retreating Robes. Mercs always get the dirty jobs.

The only good news is the salvage - in two weeks, we have collected some seven Blakist machines.

- journal of Felix Cavalli
14 Feb, 3072
« Last Edit: 07 February 2017, 19:42:36 by Nav_Alpha »

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #186 on: 07 February 2017, 20:02:40 »
Yesterday, the Coalition declared operations against the Word of Blake on Donegal as officially over.
Blakist forces have been defeated by a coalition of Lyran, ComGuard and Clan Wolf in Exile forces after two weeks of bloody combat.
Unfortunately, this has caused massive amounts of damage to Donegal - including to civilians and infrastructure.
But, we can officially announce Donegal is free!

- Lyran Ministry for Defence press release, Feb 15 3072

Officially, combat operations are over. Yeah... but there's still plenty of Blakists.
There's at least two battalions of Shadows and plenty of abandoned regular Militia.
We're stationed on the edge of the city in what used to be a print press - a huge warehouse, except someone has rocketed the roof off.
So, we all get to sleep in the rain and occasionally dodge Blakist sniper fire.

I'm pushing a mixed patrol out to curtail some Blakists - a Level II is falling back right past a munitions plant and we are going to stop them. Asha has gathered a ready force.

Getting killed after combat operations are officially over is a hell of a way to go....

- Felix Cavalli

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #187 on: 07 February 2017, 20:42:58 »
Oily black smoke drifts across the scene: blackened and twisted buildings are clustered around - many missing roofs, caved in windows.
Amid the scene of destruction stands a Thunderbolt. It's grey and maroon paint job is scored and scratched in some places but the insignia of a red rook chess piece in grey shines bright on its torso.

At the mech's feet several infantrymen cluster -they all wear odd medlies of armour, leather and fur. One grim faced fighter hoists a light machine gun like it's a toy cap gun - he appears to have a string of dirty looking human teeth strung around his neck.
Next to him another one - apparently a woman, although it's hard to tell under the mound of furs, cloth and equipment - pulls off her combat helmet to reveal a Mohawk and tattooed scalp.

With a pop, the Thunderbolt's cockpit opens like a clamshell. Without bothering with a ladder, a figure begins to clamber down using improvised handholds
He lands in a crouch and grins at the infantrymen towering over him.

The mechwarrior is short and stocky with short dark hair cropped to stubble on the back and sides. His hair and short beard are slightly streaked with grey - especially at the temples and around the mouth - and while heavily built he's starting to develop a bit of a belly under his cooling vest.

Most notable is his left hand. From the wrist down it's a steel replacement, complete with skeletal style fingers.

A long barrelled Python auto loader hands from a leather holster at his belt.

"Snaga, let's get these streets cleared and look for any civilians," he says.

The big infantryman with the teeth collections grins. "Si, Colonel Cavalli. We check."
Hooting orders in a guttural tongue, he polices up the unit and they move out.

As Cavalli strides forward, real and metal thumbs stuck in his webbing belt, there's movement ahead.
A patch of rubble shifts, forming into a crouching, hooded and cloaked form. Even with the movement, the figure almost totally blends in even as it raises a rifle to its shoulder.

Cavalli sees the gunman and begins to claw at his pistol as the first shot rings out - raising his mechanical hand, Cavalli stumbles back as the round smashes into the metal hand and carries it away.
Still reeling he manages to draw the pistol and attempts to aim as the Blakist fires again. There's as spray of blood as Cavalli crumples to the ground.

The Blakist begins to move - but is interrupted by a furious howl - the big infantryman is back, a machete raised in both hands overhead. There's a meaty but oddly metallic thud as the blade lops off an arm.
The screaming soldier brings the blade down again and again.

- drone footage captured in Marsdenville South, Donegal

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #188 on: 07 February 2017, 23:16:51 »
Did Felix finally run out of edge?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #189 on: 08 February 2017, 05:27:24 »
Had to come up with some way to give him this damn arm TrueTanker cooked up!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #190 on: 08 February 2017, 19:24:39 »
Who, me? All I did was give an arm to a friend in need. Or is that a hand? Blah! I can't remember all these trivialized details!  O:-)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 08 February 2017, 23:45:46 »
Ha! Thanks TT!

So the new assault lance pretty much sat in reserve during the whole Donegal campaign. Here they are:

Galen,
Attached are the last batch of bios for our new hirelings. Not sure why these weren't included with Cavalli's others - maybe because they're his newest members.
Everything checks out and they look ready to go - can you imagine the mercs call this the "Broadsword Enema"?!
Demi Precentor Sean Francis
(Mercenary personnel files declassified in the wake of the recapture of Donegal)

The product of an obscure commune that preached freedom from government, religion and traditional gender roles on the FWL world of Home Antje Vermer seems the last person to join the military, but inexplicably enlisted at 18.
A former Lieutenant Senior Grade with the 10th Marik Militia, she was lured into the corporate security sector in 3067, taking up a position with the Savannah Militia. After the 3071 coupe she saw the writing on the wall and signed with Cavalli - bringing her family with her. She leads the Cavaliere's new Assault lance in her new Awesome.

Homer Ebbs is a sharp contrast to his lance commander - a veteran from a long line of FWL soldiers. He followed Vermer from the 10th to Savannah and served as her faithful  2IC. Ebbs is also Vermer's secondary husband. While Vermer left the commune at a young age, she still holds many of its tenants and maintains a rather unorthodox personal life.
Ebbs rarely speaks in public and despite his bulk seemingly recedes into the background in social situations.
Ebbs drives at QuickDraw and is usually his commander's backstop.

Angela Edith is not your typical Mercenary mechwarrior - In fact she wasn't even a mechwarrior until recently. A native of Lesalles, Edith drove a Forestrymech in the planet's sprawling forests. With the CCAF tied up amid the Jihad, Lesalles was easy picking for pirates who repeatedly ravages the planet. It was during one such attack in 3070 that Edith stuck back - repeatedly striking at the pirates in her unarmed Forestrymech. After that, life on Lesalles seemed rather unexciting.

Dexter Liu started his career with the 1st Marik Militia but was busted out after six years when his part in a black market ring was exposed.
Stints in corporate security, including several years with Irian's high profile detachment eventually saw him wash up on Savannah as a rest pilot for Technicron.
He's highly skilled at the controls of his QuickDraw, often getting more speed out of it then the manuals recommend - meaning it spends plenty of time in the repair bay.

Plus...
Dr Tobias Katz is Antje Vermer's primary husband and was considered one of Savannah's top trauma surgeons.
He was initially hesitant about his unusual living arrangements but has taken to it with gusto and the union has produced one child - five-year-old Bruce.
Serving as a doctor attached to a Mercenary unit is certainly a come down from a six figure pay cheque at Janos Marik Memorial, but the Atreus trained medico is coming to terms with it - in fact he's writing a book about his experience and is hoping it will be a best seller.
A slight oddity in the FWL - he's never shown any prejudice toward prosthetics and cybernetics and in fact appears to be a leading expert in the usually anti-cybernetic League.
When not working on one of the Cavaliere, "Doc" can be found taking care of Bruce or polishing his novel.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #192 on: 08 February 2017, 23:51:26 »
All up, the campaign cost the Cavaliere - two pilots, three mechs, an entire squad of IS standard BA and two Scorpion tank set with their crews.

We gained the following salvage:

Raijin II RJN-200-A
GUR-4G Gurkha
ARC-8M Archer
B1-HND Bloodhound
Hussar HSR-500-D
Marauder II MAD-4S

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #193 on: 09 February 2017, 02:05:43 »
3 mechs down 6 up. Good exchange.
Broadsword Enema, oh the images that conjures up. :D
Hopefully TT won't see it, I could just imagine his plans for a unit with that name.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #194 on: 09 February 2017, 02:36:47 »
We lost two pilots though! Not a great trade

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #195 on: 09 February 2017, 07:19:22 »
That Archer and Marauder II are good finds though.

Question; since you're playing this in MegaMek, what are you using for portraits of the unit's members?

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #196 on: 09 February 2017, 08:03:31 »
That Archer and Marauder II are good finds though.

Question; since you're playing this in MegaMek, what are you using for portraits of the unit's members?

I'm thinking Felix will drive the Mad II.

I'm not using anything actually. Have you got some super terrific Lego portraits? Because I would use them

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #197 on: 09 February 2017, 19:32:08 »
Hopefully TT won't see it, I could just imagine his plans for a unit with that name.

I see what you did there...

Hope that Cluster works out Nav_Alpha, if not I can recreate " Broadsword Enema " for you....

Maybe a sub-unit from Whispers of Blake>  O:-).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #198 on: 09 February 2017, 19:33:30 »
Double post.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #199 on: 09 February 2017, 20:08:33 »
Urgh. I used about half of the Whispers the first time the Cav went to Donegal in the recon run. That thing was bloody nasty!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #200 on: 10 February 2017, 07:28:09 »
I'm thinking Felix will drive the Mad II.

I'm not using anything actually. Have you got some super terrific Lego portraits? Because I would use them

Give me a few days and I'll see what I can do...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #201 on: 14 February 2017, 19:26:11 »
Do tell...

Which units of Whispers are left?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #202 on: 14 February 2017, 19:28:43 »
I'll try and drag out the files - fairly certain they only lost about half their mechs

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #203 on: 14 February 2017, 19:43:53 »
Which dropper? or did you run all of them? Any chance the Tanks, Aero and BA / Infantry got used?

TT

( For those who want a complete TO&E of Whispers of Blake, PM me... I am NOT releasing to the Public as of this time... they'll ruin your canon unit in a heartbeat! It's the evil in me that created this madness. Blame Herb, he started it.  O:-) )
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #204 on: 14 February 2017, 20:37:55 »
Which dropper? or did you run all of them? Any chance the Tanks, Aero and BA / Infantry got used?

TT

( For those who want a complete TO&E of Whispers of Blake, PM me... I am NOT releasing to the Public as of this time... they'll ruin your canon unit in a heartbeat! It's the evil in me that created this madness. Blame Herb, he started it.  O:-) )

I took on the Celestials and some of their tanks. No droppers.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #205 on: 14 February 2017, 21:08:44 »
Ah! So the Pónos Férnei then.

Excellent... >:D

Did you use the Galleon-105's?  O:-)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #206 on: 14 February 2017, 21:31:54 »
That's them! Yep.  They don't like arty..

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #207 on: 15 February 2017, 21:00:36 »

I was in an induced coma for a week. And then it was another three or so days before I realised those Shadows making noises around me were people and I could talk to them.
It was another couple days before I discovered... the thing.

Cold, unfeeling, lifeless the thing had replaced my left arm from the shoulder down.
Sure, it looks real - the skin tone is even correctly matched. But I know it's not mine.
Dr Katz is very keen to tell me what a good job he did - but it's still a piece of Blakist metal where my arm used to be.
I do not know if it's worse or supposed to be better that it's hacked from the bastard Robe who damn near shot my arm off?

After another week we boosted - the good doctor seemed to think I might even heal faster in space. Onboard our new ship. That's something more to get my head around.
As per our contract, we captured the Ramses at the jump point so it's technically ours. Oddly, the ComGuards and Lyrans didn't even put up a fight.
Our own jumpship, eh?

Back to the Mercenary's Star. I still can't get in the sims, so I figured Gustav can take over my Thunderbolt to replace his now lost Merlin. That leaves me with the Marauder II - a Blakist arm for a Blakist mech, eh?

When we get to Galatea we're going to start a training company and hopefully turn it into the nucleus of a second company of mechs. Moses and Octavius are ready to start real training (I can't believe I have 15 year old twins!) and I think Asha will do well running a training command.

But first I've got to learn how to use this damn arm!
- journal of Felix Cavalli

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #208 on: 15 February 2017, 21:03:55 »
Independent ships review - 3072 edition, Galtea Free Press

The Invader class Jumpship Ramses has now clocked up almost 200 years servicing the interstellar space lanes. By 3072, it's cratered and battered hull and grimy interior - along with decades of dubious maintenance has left it almost in its last legs.

Originally christened The Augustine, she became the Ramses after limping into port above Vega in 2997 in desperate need of a refit. Purchased by New Egypt Ltd, a small merchant firm, the newly named Ramses plyed Kurtian space as an independent trader until the Clan War. Narrowly escaping the Smoke Jaguars above Turtle Bay she was sold and resold until falling into the hands of Tooheys Traders in 3057. TT is actually owned by Chaos March crime lord  Dylan Bangus through a series of cut outs.

Bangus now operates an extensive empire across the Blakist Protectorate (he likes to play both sides of the fence) and enjoyed having several jump ships at his beck and call - although he apparently didn't care to pay for their upkeep.

The Ramses was seized by Blakist troops after it was caught running contraband into Milton.
Bangus is unaware the ship has been liberated but will certainly find out soon.

At the time of its capture by mercenaries over Donegal, It was carrying the Union-class Hobart and its two Transgressor fighters. The Hobart, a Blakist ship, had been attached to the Ramses in anticipation of a return trip to the Protectorate.

Captain Axl Larsen found himself the master of the Ramses following the liberation of Donegal. Formerly the first mate, he comes from a long line of spacers - all of them FRR navy (and Lyran before that) however, and his family was extremely disappointed when he picked a merchant career. An excellent navigator, but Larsen's true skills lie in somehow coaxing life out of the Ramses' ailing and damaged systems time and time again. The ship's previous captain was slain by Blakists over Donegal - prompting Larsen and his crew to assist Mercenary boarders.
Axl is glad to be free of Bangus' influence but still treats his Mercenary owners like their meddlesome children while onboard his ship

Meredith Schmidt commands the attached Union-class dropper. She's a 27 year veteran of the Lyran Navy and doesn't chafe like Larsen does under the new regime. While she's always shipshape on the bridge, Schmidt is a terror while on liberty and is know for her drunken brawls, jail stints and debauchs.
She was formerly the captain of the Nile Queen - the Ramses' usual attached dropship.   But a choice verbal dressing down of the Blakist prize crew saw her confined to the Ramses' brig while the Nile Queen was used to shuttle supplies back and forth from the surface.
The Nile Queen was destroyed during the horrific space battle over Donegal and the loss of her entire crew has inspired an intense hate for Robes in Schmidt.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #209 on: 15 February 2017, 21:06:58 »
So we are off to work for Alys Rousset-Marik - the duchess of Augustine and killer of Blakists supreme, herself!

I hear the Colonel was pretty taken with the idea the duchess' people sought him out in some Galaport bar and said she'd personally been interested in the unit.
More like they just wanted some one with a hate on for Robes and a jumpship, but yeah...

We're being contracted to strike numerous targets across the FWL side of the Word Protectorate - everything from raids and supply runs to potential extraction jobs.
Cavalli is going to leave a small training detachment here to finish up work and even try and scurry up some new recruits. The dependants will be housed on Augustine (yeah, we have to run the blockade before we even start the campaign) and 1st company, my hover lance and some of the infantry will carry out the actual attacks.
Most of my company is too slow for this work and we don't have transport for all the footsloggers, so it's mechs, hovers and some BA for the actual work.

It'll be a shame to leave Asha and the pursuit lance behind but it makes sense as she hires on some blood and gets our younger generation into shape.

Strange thing about the hiring efforts though. We got some replacement vehicle crews and even an ex-ComGuard mech jock who followed us from Donegal for Fire Lance.
We've got the mechs but we've been unable to fill out the pursuit lance.
But there's bugger all here on Galatea. Plenty of independent mercs but none hiring on - it's like someone has scooped up a heap of them and put them on retainer to just wait around.
I don't like it
- Amber Mori-Paige