Author Topic: Bugs vs Heavies  (Read 2144 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Bugs vs Heavies
« on: 10 November 2011, 23:46:03 »
So . . . while trying to do up a random force for a petty tyrant, I then positioned his units as seemed logical for holding down a planet while having a large powerful raiding force.  I ended up putting mostly bug mechs out on distant firebases where patrols originate along with light & medium armor and infantry.  Which forces ended up at which firebase was randomly chosen after the heavier forces held cities, factories and the spaceport.

But I find myself running heavies and mediums against these firebases now as part of weakening the tyrant's hold.  Picking off enemy forces for salvage and equipment to arm more rebels.  I did hit one of the city forces, mostly to cause damage and occupy them so they could not move to support the firebases.

Even throwing the minimum force at these firebases I am rolling over the bugs and the few heavier units that have armor and positions in support.  Legs kicked off, hard hitting weapons and medium pulse have wreaked havoc . . .

Anyone else run into that during opening stages of a campaign?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: Bugs vs Heavies
« Reply #1 on: 11 November 2011, 09:45:53 »
I have had a similar experiance. In my last campaign my side won the first four battles, my opponets lost a third of their total force (8 mechs) while we lost one warrior (retrieving his mech). This pushed them back to their LZ and really demoralized the players ,ending the game.  :(

Is this for a RPG or campaign? You said campaign ,but that can also apply to a RPG.

If this is a RPG , the tyrants forces can be beefed up or he can set a ambush.

If it's a campaign you may need to do a restart if you now out number them by to much.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2011, 11:53:34 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 11 November 2011, 09:58:43 »
If this is a RPG , the tyrants forces can be beefed up or he can set a ambush.

yep
plus remember, he has been there a while he could have command det mines (IEDS) planted all over the place

or simple mine fields,  maybe a few hidden emplacements, check the Big Mac book for ideas
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #3 on: 11 November 2011, 10:16:43 »
It sounds like the tyrant is the defender, but it's not clear who the attacker is.  Could it be local insurgents rebelling against a harsh regime?  Did they hire outside mercenaries to support the uprising?  Is it another Pirate King hoping to assimilate this world? 

In any case, what you are describing looks like a typical war of attrition.  The firebases get destroyed with little compensation for the defenders and the equipment gets repaired and reused to attack more firebases. 

Generally, just to minimise early losses, the forces at the firebases should keep open as least one safe line of retreat and not expect to "die in place".  They should withdraw once the attacker commits enough force to overwhelm the firebase.

The main defending force should be held as a mobile reserve that can move quickly to defend any of the primary objectives.  You describe it as a "large powerful raiding force", so, is it possible that the firebases get attacked while it is occupied elsewhere?

It is still possible to set up ambush points if the location of the main force is not pinned down.  Remember that firebases can also be decoys to attract attention and keep the attackers in a known location while the mobile reserves move to crush the flanks and rear units.

"We've been seeing this mech in the repair bay a lot, lately."
"Yeah, it's the fourth time we captured it this month."
"I just love Phoenix Hawks."

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #4 on: 11 November 2011, 14:08:33 »
"Bugs" can be VERY powerful against a low-skilled group of beginners.  The odds of hitting them are low because of their speed, and they hit back just about as hard "ton for ton" as the big stuff.  Once the skills go up, those same "bug Mechs" fall like the small, annoying insects that they're named after.

In a mostly 4/5 skill game, I've run Locusts (with heavier backup) against Assaults on many occasions with a high degree of success.  If you're going in alone, the big machine can concentrate on the light, and one or two hits will end the fight.  If the bigger machine has to decide whether to concentrate its weapons on that Heavy in its face, or on that fast pest behind it, the light usually gets away with whatever it's trying.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 11 November 2011, 14:22:53 »
Depends on which bugs.. wasps, stingers or locusts..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2011, 17:39:28 »
Well, looks like I found the breaking point . . .

2 lances of bugs with PXH lance leaders
lance of heavy tanks
lance of vedettes
lance of upgraded vedettes
lance of heavy hovertanks
artillery tube
company of infantry

Rebels lost 3 mechs . . . Stinger took a LB-10X slug through the rear torso, FS9 got its head blown off, and a Battle Hawk took a beating to fall down.  My own lance got shot up . . . the Thug took several weapon TACs and lost a shoulder while armor was falling off and unable to hit with PPCs.  Grasshopper 6K and Penetrator 4D both got knocked down while my Victor started taking internal damage, including the loss of a gauss slug bin.  Lots of armor damage with the assaults starting to take internal damage.

Tyrant's forces lost 2 Wasps and a Stinger, had a Stinger legged, heavy tank, LBX vedette, hovertank skidded off a cliff.  PXH and FS9s shot up but mobile.  Pillboxes got shot up, but not to collapse.

Not sure I came off the better . . . but with AA defenses weakened, time to call in the air strikes.  The ground forces are also going to lay seige to the firebase and start raining some artillery on the site.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register