14 (5.2%)
Jihad
34 (12.7%)
Dark age
13 (4.9%)
ilClan
52 (19.5%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Best Era  (Read 2692 times)

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • Unless to other People
Best Era
« on: 02 April 2024, 23:54:23 »
What Eras do you think did well
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 00:03:57 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
Re: Best Era
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2024, 00:16:44 »
1st: Succession Wars: all IS, all the time.
2nd: Ilkhan: The future is bright.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2024, 00:38:48 »
1st Clan Invasion, this was my introduction to the setting so I will always love it and think of it as the "Default" setting.
2nd: Ilclan, I'm quite happy with the new lore in general, even if I'm sad about the dissapearance of a few of my favorite factions (Wolf-in-Exile and Comstar), but I must admit I like playing with all the shiny new toys.
3rd: Succession wars.  I know we could only select 2, but my 3rd choice would have been this, While I like clan stuff I can really appreciate the setting before the clans arrived.

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2024, 02:29:39 »
Depends on your definition of failure, really ... I think several of these were hurt by real-world circumstances (Jihad, Dark Age, Star League) ... Dark Age was successful on some levels, putting millions of plastic minis out over the span of about seven years or so and moving the Universe forward, but turned off a lot of the core players for reasons discussed on another thread. The Jihad era rolled out during the post-FASA era and was, at least from my perspective at the time, hard to follow, particularly since there were no supporting novels. Plus, we more or less already knew how it ended ... The Star League push also had the disadvantage of not having lengthy fiction support. I had played Battletech and the Mechwarrior RPG briefly in the mid-nineties, then got into the PC Mercenaries game in 2000 or so, and then the Dark Age clix game and Mechassault (my little girls LOVED that game), only to climb back into the original game with the advent of plastic minis.  I feel the "strongest" or "most successful" eras are the Succession Wars, Clan Invasion, and (late) Dark Age / ilClan at this point.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2024, 05:10:15 »
I Voted before reading!  :grin:

I voted for MY Personal Favorites, though there isn't any One "Best" Era!  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

I Prefer SL/Succession Wars (3025), because I started playing in '86 and started with 3025.  I HAVE come to enjoy and even LOVE some of the newer toys though.  And I could care less about what Era other people play, and I don't look down on anyone for choosing something that THEY enjoy.  :drinking01:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Shin_Fenris

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor never dies
    • 357th Infernal Division
« Reply #5 on: 03 April 2024, 05:48:16 »
Jihad/Wars of Reaving era. Everyone that thinks otherwise is objectively incorrect.

I kid. But it's still IMHO the best and only "failed" because there was already an established predetermined outcome that the writing had to build into, plus not enough fiction support & too many people didn't seem to like the sourcebook format.

Not trying to debate the pros and cons of the approach. Just looking forward to more high quality Jihad/WoR fiction to follow Herb's -fantastic- Jardine stories.
If this battlefield is Hell, then it is our home and wherever we go, Hell and chaos shall follow.

Lead 'Mech Wrangler: 357th Infernal Division, NE USA
Tai-sa Shiro "Fenris" Takeda, Mercenary: Kuroi Kaze (MAD-6KK Marauder II)
Galaxy Commander Zane Schmitt, Clan Blood Spirit: Iota Galaxy (Blood Kite 2)
Captain Brutus "Bloodsport" Carver, Mercenary: Song's Sentinels (SQS-TH-002 Sasquatch)
CI Backer #138 Merc Backer #32
Just here for KS info - y'all are too argumentative for real discussions.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2024, 06:41:07 »
I dont know enough about the IlClan but I want to know more.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2024, 12:09:18 »
My favorite eras to play in are the War of 3039 and the Third Hidden War. I think both of them have a good spread of technology and a fun hook. 3039 has the prototype Star League tech where you swap out limited amounts of existing gear, and 3HW has everyone pretending to be pirates and war criming all over each other.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Swankmotron

• Freelance Writer
  • Corporal
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2024, 12:24:08 »
I'm having so much fun in the ilClan era, and the more I dive into other eras of BattleTech, it feels very much like the best of all of them. Yes, there are some factions or units missing, but there are capable stand-ins in many ways. They might be different but they're there.

And it's just a blast to get to work in it. I've written in some other eras, but ilClan is just where I think the best storytelling is to be had.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 03 April 2024, 17:10:57 »
Succession wars 1st with Clan Invasion second.

If war of 3039 was it's own choice or Age of War I may have to reconsider my 2nd choice.

To this day I'm of the belief that the OG Succession wars era games were for the most part
more balanced from a gaming standpoint than any of the other eras tech.
That's why I chose Succession Wars  1st.
I still wish they made more variants of existing mechs for the era mostly to fix the mechs
that were effected by early rules changes.

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 03 April 2024, 17:17:31 »
Whatabout the Terran-Hegemony or the first Age of War?  The foundations of the great houses were also interesting.

I agree; it's time for the Ilkhan to meet aliens.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2024, 17:25:18 »
Clan Invasion, Succession Wars, big gap, Civil War, possibly ilClan.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2024, 20:50:43 »
Pre-4th Succession War and ilClan for me. Clan Invasion is fine, but it felt like power creep at the time to my teenage self and if I’m going to play with “new” toys, I’d rather play with all of them.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2024, 21:48:39 »
I prefer the SW and Clan Invasion eras for the simplicity of the tech and the focus of the story. I like fewer techs w/the environments they create and a few spine novels with some peripheral stories exploring other aspects of the era.

The Jihad was a cool way to press a big reset button on the setting. The Republic and Star League eras were both flyover eras that are worth exploring a bit. I still don't believe a 5 five year war that was the result of the political fallout from the Clan Invasion and the prelude to The Jihad counts as an era of its own.

That said, I don't believe any era 'failed.' The ilClan is the first era to stand on its own as an era. It's the first one after the Clan Invasion to present a storyline told by Battletech on its own terms, instead of being rushed or backfilled due to external factors. I don't know if it will turn out good--I don't even know the metric for determining that--but I'm interested in seeing what's coming.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2024, 22:18:01 »
I'm amused, yet not at all surprised, that so many answers here defaulted to "the era I personally like best" as opposed to answers to the actual question that was posed. :laugh:

Obviously the Succession Wars era did the best, because not only did it put BattleTech on the map to begin with, but it remains the most popular era for people to play in to this day by a very large margin. I'd probably put the Clan Invasion as the second most successful.

I also don't think any era of BattleTech "failed" per se. Despite the ad nauseum complaints from a lot of the vets at the time it was unfolding, the Dark Age did keep BattleTech alive and afloat post-FASA, and there seems to be quite a bit of excitement and engagement in the ilClan era.

The weakest link so far seems to be the Jihad era, and that solely because of the circumstances of it being backfill and everything that entailed.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2024, 23:52:39 »
How does one decide an 'actual best' except by how much one likes it?

And for me, it's 'the one I'm playing/painting right now'. Love them all.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

DevianID

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 04 April 2024, 01:03:15 »
I think the Jihad is just neat.  Lots of tech, lots of fighting, lots of bad guys, and it has a distinct feel for many of the factions still.

The Clan invasion is fun, but IMHO its too big of an era to the point it loses its identity.  The early clan invasion, ending with tukayyid, is just so different from the late clan invasion with operation bulldog and such.  I would much rather the very short 'Fedcom civil war' era included operation bulldog and task force serpent as an identity... Era 'Rise and fall of the second star league.'  Like for 'clan invasion' if someone shows up with a black watch and a bunch of clan tech, pulled from their inner sphere roster, when I was expecting a clan v inner sphere invasion themed game, the clash is too much.  The early clan invasion mechs have that 'rush to patch/upgrade' unique feel that sets the early CI apart, but when taken as a whole the entire early inner sphere mechs are tossed out for the 3058+ versions with no flaws (and no era identity).  The jump from the 3049 grasshopper to the same era Penetrator in 3053 is like night and day.

Jihad however has the most interesting faction identity I think.  Ilclan is getting there, with hinterlands and such, but all the factions are in such crazy flux right now there isn't much of a unifying identity with many of the factions just due to uncertainty and rapid changes.  Like, what Jade Falcon faction is the 'Ilclan' faction with the unique flavored faction mechs?

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 04 April 2024, 06:35:47 »
I dont know enough about the IlClan but I want to know more.
CGL thinks that the Republic being conquered by the Clans signals a new Era, despite the fact that most people in-universe don't know about it and it doesn't change any ongoing conflicts.

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 04 April 2024, 07:30:13 »
Star League except for the Reunification war was a little flat that equates to fail for me  .

Succession Wars was more about salvaging and preservation than fighting. Save what to do with retro tech and using advanced tech as fuel cell combat vehicle engine so all units used hydrogen for fuel even if it ment smaller operational radius made sense logistically. 

Clan ERA a time of great experimentation and refining tactical doctrine with the introduction of the Clan tech base and the Inner Sphere attempts to reverse engineer as much as possible.

The Jihaad was to put the new tactical doctrines to use and learn how to apply 99 percent of the technology.

The Republic Age has the Ghost Bear Dominion and Draconis combine war and the Republic conflicts with the Cappellen Confederation.  Which I might add wasn't even on the list .

The Dark Age had the remaining balance 1 percent of tech introduced but implemented very badly

The Il Khan is the jockeying for the next status quo happens. 
 . The main difference is tech quality.  I needed elite techs for mix tech  during the Clan  ERA , Veteran techs during the The Republic ERA and regular techs by the Dark Age. 
« Last Edit: 04 April 2024, 15:55:06 by Col Toda »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #19 on: 04 April 2024, 09:21:02 »
Lots of tech

I generally prefer the idea of playing in whatever the latest era is, but if it is an issue of "best", the tech bloat of the more recent eras is why I opted for the Invasion and the Succession Wars as my picks. I get that a huge chunk of our happy family loves having new toys to play with, but I continue to believe that there is an advantage in limiting the tech base to something more restrictive than "all of the things ever made by anyone anywhere at any time".

Of course, since I'm mainly an Alpha Strike player, a lot of that tech bloat is a non-issue (another win for FasterTech, IMO), but there's still the metric ton of available mechs and variants to sift through.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #20 on: 04 April 2024, 10:47:32 »
Like for 'clan invasion' if someone shows up with a black watch and a bunch of clan tech, pulled from their inner sphere roster, when I was expecting a clan v inner sphere invasion themed game, the clash is too much.  The early clan invasion mechs have that 'rush to patch/upgrade' unique feel that sets the early CI apart, but when taken as a whole the entire early inner sphere mechs are tossed out for the 3058+ versions with no flaws (and no era identity).
As someone who likes The Clan Invasion era, you are very correct.

My (unreliable) perception of it is that the story was best told at a certain pace, but tech and new 'mechs needed to sell at a slightly faster pace. So we got an accordion compression of techs and units before the era's story could be told. The Jihad is much better at that because the story of the era and the techs and units in it were all told in retrospect. And the same applies to The Dark Age, to some extent.

I do wonder if there's a better way to match up the speeds at which tech/machines come out and the rate at which story comes out. I'm very interested in how the ilClan era plays out.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #21 on: 04 April 2024, 10:59:58 »
I played every era but SL. Every era is good with the right scenarios, I honestly hated SW for a short time because some lazy scenarios reprints that replaced, at the time, unseen mechs with mechs of same weight class but lesser performance making those games a slog. It's all about finding what's fun and I think that can get lost in the army building.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #22 on: 04 April 2024, 11:31:33 »
Jihad and ilClan, then Dark Age.
I played through the Succession Wars and Clan Invasion era from 1988 to 2001, and that was enough.  I see no need to constantly fight the same 5 wars year in and year out due to nostalgia. 
The Jihad is chaotic, vital and finally leads to a destructive crescendo with one of the worst villains to appear in BT canon.  The Dark Age and ilClan era introduce actual defensive technologies, mixed technology units, true combined arms and the Periphery gains a ton of upgrades.

The Fedcom Civil War is, IMO, the worst part of Battletech. Marik gets left on life support, Kurita gets to fight the Ghost Bears and renegade Davion, and Liao reunites itself with it's other half and then takes an extended 4 year nap.  In the meantime we get a bunch of novels about how this Steiner gets beaten by this Davion commander with the power of friendship. Pass.

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2024, 19:38:03 »

I’ll clarify (and pretend my original answer was made after fully reading the original post and answering the question as asked 😜). I’d say the SW was most successful because that was the original game and what created the long-standing fan base that continues to love the game. In the late 80s, early 90s, Battletech had this special niche between typical fantasy rpgs and war games and the 40K stuff on the other end of the spectrum. Now, personal preference aside, the Clan Invasion and aftermath was probably “more successful” and a lot of things kicked into high gear during this time, such as the sourcebooks and fiction, but I still think a lot of the groundwork for that success was paved by the original SW era game, sourcebooks and fiction.

With that said, I have to say IlClan has been the most successful of all. I’ve never seen Battletech as mainstream as having designated end caps at Barnes & Nobles. Three super successful Kickstarters, and some of the most impressive products I’ve ever seen Battletech rolling out. The plastic mechs and vehicles just blow me away in the quality and price point, and the company itself seems to be thriving. I was just a hanger on during the Civil War, thought Battletech was dead until the Click-Tech/Dark Age stuff, which I didn’t think was horrible, just not Battletech as I knew it, and then it started to push forward again and I was keeping an eye, just for nostalgia’s sake, until a year or two ago, I’m in Barnes & Noble and see this box of plastic Mechs that said Wolf’s Dragoons Force Pack, that had an Annihilator in it (a personal favorite), and I start checking back in on Battletech and my mind was blown (this was basically right after the Clan Invassion Kickstarter). Now I’ve caught back up with most of the fiction and have about two regiments, a Comstar level III, and a small Clan Touman of plastic Mechs awaiting paint (soon, someday soon, I swear) and about the same amount currently on a boat heading my way by Juneish, the last I heard.

So, long story short, IlClan era has made it possible for me to get back into Battletech and enjoy any of those above eras to the fullest, and I think that would apply to pulling in new players as well. The game seems so much more accessible right now than it ever has, which I think is a great thing.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #24 on: 05 April 2024, 10:20:45 »
For me, definitely the Jihad and Dark Age eras. Both had a major emphasis on combined-arms play, as well as an extremely wide spread of featured technology ranging from primitive and industrial mechs all the way up to units fielding tech that would boggle the minds of even the Invading Clans of 3050. It's no wonder the main TROs is that era are among absolute best books of their kind ever produced in all of Battletech.

On the lore front, the Jihad gave us some of the best villains in the timeline in the form of the Word of Blake, while the Dark Age gave us ISP3, and within the absolute pinnacle of Goliath Scription development.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Colonial13

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 05 April 2024, 12:21:08 »
I'm legit surprised by how many votes the ilClan era has.
St Ives past, present, and forever

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #26 on: 06 April 2024, 11:52:24 »
Battletech is in upswing, lots of new players and the current era is ilclan. I'd bet in a lot of cases, the favorite era is the one you were introduced to.

Succession wars for me, bar none (voted too fast, not realizing you could pick two options, says it all). The heat scale, the characters, the setting the system and core concepts were intended  for, and a fair chunk of my childhood "imaginary world".
Dont know what I would've picked as second choice between clan invasion, FCCW and the jihad...lore wise, I personnaly don't really diferrenciate, most of the cast is the same, there wasn't the same clear "passing of the torch" as between SW and CI...game wise, the older stuff is still revelant in Jihad era...but then I've never played table top beyond the 3067 toys.

Something I'd be interested in as far as era's are concerned is more "Age of War" (the gritty, no holds bared, part as far as table top is concerned). Perhaps the day TPTB revisits capital ship combat and planetary bombardments? Can't really imagine a greater delving into the AoW whitout table top big ship space combat making a push. Perhaps something manageable for Inner Sphere In Flames at the same time? Lord knows I've wasted time looking at the force tables in the old brush wars sourcebook and looking at the rules, but I can't imagine anything less then a group of dedicated BT addicts playing that. A box set to enable your planetary annihlation fantasys perhaps, so as to facilitate the process? Now I'm dreaming in color.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 06 April 2024, 12:06:31 »
Battletech is in upswing, lots of new players and the current era is ilclan. I'd bet in a lot of cases, the favorite era is the one you were introduced to.

How much love I have for the Invasion era, true enough. I never want to be stuck in era through, may have played more SW era games at this point and really looking forward to introducing some of my friends to the post FedCom Civil War stuff (they only followed the lore via the PC games at this point)

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: 06 April 2024, 12:16:19 »
Most successful / best is a weird metric. Too vague.

If we’re talking narrative quality and the ability to grab you, then I’d put Clan Invasion in first and ilClan in second. I do so with the caveat that ilClan is hampered by it being so new. We haven’t seen enough of the plot yet, but the bulk of the groundwork laid is excellent.

In terms of IRL financial success or product quality while that era is the main era, then hands down the ilClan era is absolutely dominant. 

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 06 April 2024, 15:18:37 »
"Best", "Failure", "Worst".

These are subjective descriptors and even with the power of Bandwagontm, they're STILL subjective.

Clan invasion era had novels that were on the NYT bestseller list, and some of those were even good.

Dark Age and FCCW basically rolled out at about the same time, and ran simultaneously for several years. 

Jihad? Not much novel ink because of IP issues, but pretty good source books and kept catalyst alive.

Battletech has outlived two IP holders, including the company that debuted it.

Do I agree with all the editorial decisions? no.

but over-all, they've been right and I've been wrong, when it comes to doing what is needed to keep the property afloat and going.

There is no 'Best', except to you-that is, there is no 'best' except the feeling of each fan.  it's like asking which Star Trek show is 'Best'.

You're going to get a lot of answers, and some of them will be repeating each other to feel included, or to feel 'unique'.

but the fact is, it's all subjective.  They all have things going for them.  Which things? what things? depends entirely on who is answering the question, because it's THEIR opinion.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #30 on: 06 April 2024, 16:37:08 »
What Eras do you think did well and what Eras do you think failed and if so why did they fail

The Poll says "Best".

The Question is "Did Well" & "Failed".

These don't seem to match up or mean the same thing.

I voted for my 2 favorites.

Why are they my favorites?

The SL era I like for the feel of a true full scale military for the SL & even the houses.
They have WARSHIPS & Divisions of Mechs.  And yes the frequency of fighting is "fairly" low compared to SW border raids which are going on all the time.
I feel like it's an era of both limited & large scale combat with down time in between.

While the game started at the end of the SW & I enjoy that time, it was really the tech revival & the introduction of the clans that triggered a different feel & format & # of factions.  The vast majority of games I've played in nearly 40 years have been between 3025-3067 range.  And while that isn't all "Clan Invasion" it does cover a good chunk & feel for a lot of it.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Gladius-XC

• Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 07 April 2024, 10:08:17 »
I’ve held off on replying to this thread for several days while I mulled over my answer. My knee-jerk reaction was Clan Invasion since, you guessed it, that was when I started playing. I recognized that wasn’t a good metric though, and so I’ve been pondering while considering all the other answers.  Cannonshop in particular had a really good response that allowed me to finally come to a conclusion - namely that it’s all subjective and everyone is going to have different ways in which to measure success or failure.

So, after all that, the award for best era goes to…

Clan Invasion.  It contains the most iconic event in the history of Battletech the game, introducing the Clans to the story, my favorite lore, and is the setting that most of the video games have been set in.  The Clan Invasion era is the one that has the most exposure in all of Battletech, and is why I think it is the best/most successful.

Succession Wars just beat out IlClan for the #2 spot, mostly because IMHO IlClan hasn’t had enough time to see how it’s all going to turn out. However, the redesigned minis have been a game changer so even if I eventually decide that the IlClan lore falls flat, this time will always be considered a successful one for me.

Deciding on failure was what kept me from posting.  My vote goes to Dark Age for purely personal reasons. I can certainly accept the argument that Dark Age carried the torch for Battletech until PGI and HBS picked it up. Maybe BT wouldn’t be around anymore if not for dark Age. However, for me it was a failure.  The characters that I cared about were suddenly gone, the ‘Mechs that I knew and loved were suddenly gone, replaced with goofy looking miniatures using gacha mechanics to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn’t want.

Deckard_2049

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 07 April 2024, 14:10:51 »
For me it's succession wars>Ilclan>clan invasion. Ilclan started growing on me with the hinterlands stuff and the visual redesigns for the gyrfalcon and others. Clan invasion is still a favorite though when it comes to lore moreso than gameplay. With Ilclan I hope they let some of these minor factions like the Aylina Mercantile League cook for a bit before destroying them or upending all the developments around that zone.

DEZOAT

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 07 April 2024, 14:11:52 »
  Well I voted. 1st: Succession Wars . 2nd:Clan Invasion. Now I don't see a Failure or Worst with the other Era . Its all up to the people who want to play BattleTech and Eras want to play in.

Garagegamer

• Recruit
« Reply #34 on: 08 April 2024, 08:52:46 »
You forgot reunification war. Technically that exists in limited quantities. Also there is the 2550s to 2700s that also exists. Looking at that era is fun to see what factions exist.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 08 April 2024, 17:49:32 »
In the "Prime" BT timeline, I would vote for the Dark Age and IlClan as being the most interesting to me personally. Although, since the HPGs being used by Clan Goliath Scorpion never suffered from the Blackout, would the term "Dark Age" technically apply for them?

I would also add a side mention to the Empires Aflame setting, though I wonder if that entire alternate timeline post-2784 would count as a single (non-canon) Era or not.

-----

But in terms of being the most successful: I might wonder if Operation REVIVAL might mark a critical point at which BattleTech as a franchise made the leap into long-term viability.

If you consider the troubles caused by the Unseen, it would be difficult to picture how BT would have been as successful as it has been without the onset of the Timber Wolf, and of other Clan technologies (such as Elemental battle armour) which arrived in the Inner Sphere alongside it. Both in terms of being "designed-for-BT" units which could be heavily leaned upon in books, novels, art works, video games, and so on and so forth; but also in terms of how they marked a seismic change - for good or ill, depending on the player involved - in how games can play out on the tabletop.

Also, I've seen it suggested elsewhere on these boards that the Clans, regardless of how one might view them as a society, are a useful set of factions for the purpose of playing - or for advancing the story of - BattleTech. A warrior aristocracy built around the concept of combat Trials and battle challenges makes for easily scalable levels of Total Warfare or Alpha Strike game play, or even for unaugmented duels fought out in a pen-and-paper RPG. The degree to which zellbrigen is, or is not, to be enforced can be used to set up and balance different kinds of battles. And with so many warriors at all ranks of each touman looking to instigate trouble and to upset the proverbial apple cart, and with no shortage of ambition their very presence triggers amidst the various non-Clan factions they are set against, there is no end of excuses for such combat to happen - to put the "battle" in "BattleTech".

Even now, in the era of the ilClan, these ideas are still being leveraged, causing ripple effects for Clan, Spheroid, and Periphery factions alike - showing how much of the present-day success of the setting owes to the changes unleashed upon the Inner Sphere during the early Clan Invasion.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 18:08:22 by Nerroth »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #36 on: 08 April 2024, 20:25:01 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time.

Edit: Let's not have a "Worst Era" poll.  It only encourages negativity, and there always seems to be plenty of that to go around without fostering it.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2024, 20:28:40 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #37 on: 08 April 2024, 22:21:04 »
I do find it interesting that the Jihad is beating out the FedCom Civil War era.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 08 April 2024, 22:45:18 »
Edit: Let's not have a "Worst Era" poll.  It only encourages negativity, and there always seems to be plenty of that to go around without fostering it.
Spot on.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Corporal
  • Unless to other People
« Reply #39 on: 09 April 2024, 00:05:31 »
[/quote

I Agree, It has been fixed
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 09 April 2024, 03:21:38 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time.

eh not really, the 3025 grogs where a vocal minority, vocal yes but very much a minority
The Suns will shine again

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 09 April 2024, 09:17:05 »
Wow!  It really wasn't THAT long ago that fans of the Clan Invasion era were small fraction of the fanbase.  Nice to see that things have kind of equaled out over time

Considering how many depictions of the Timber Wolf we have seen over the years, think there's just less gate keeping. When I first joined this forum, there was a very vocal 'SW only' club that kept allot of people away. Think the community has finally moved pass 'the ---- era ruined everything!' mentality post Fasa.

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 09 April 2024, 09:51:54 »
I like Clan Invasion through to Operation Bulldog and Operation Serpent, 3049-3060s or so. I enjoy playing IS units in this era as the tech available allows them to handle the Clans but it's more of a challenge. On the flip side of the coin, the Clan units available are a lot fun as well.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 09:58:18 by OatsAndHall »

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 09 April 2024, 11:07:01 »
I do find it interesting that the Jihad is beating out the FedCom Civil War era.

Well, only two factions were allowed to participate in the FCCW, everyone else just had to sit around and watch.

CarcosanDawn

• Corporal
« Reply #44 on: 09 April 2024, 11:23:19 »
I like the Jihad era as someone coming to the setting after the drama around it was already done.

C3i, cybernetics (DNI), the potential innovations that came with things like the Gestalt all seemed like a super cool direction for Inner Sphere technology to grow with the raw weapons technology always being a Clan thing. It felt like the Word of Blake was genuinely trying to advance where ComStar and the Houses failed - match and then exceed the Clans technologically while retaining the industrial supremacy of the Inner Sphere. They had the zealotry of religion for morale, too.

Delvin Stone and the Wonderfriends putting a stop to it all has always mystified me and made me wonder if the WoB weren't just ahead of their time.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 09 April 2024, 13:46:26 »
Well, only two factions were allowed to participate in the FCCW, everyone else just had to sit around and watch.
There where other conflicts going on but most of the meta narrative was focused on FedCom. I got more interested in the era after playing MW4:Mercs as the missions explored the other conflicts more.

Rob Bendig

• Private
« Reply #46 on: 09 April 2024, 14:21:24 »
There where other conflicts going on

Lest we forget St. Ives - we hardly got to know you.

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 09 April 2024, 17:24:35 »
There where other conflicts going on but most of the meta narrative was focused on FedCom. I got more interested in the era after playing MW4:Mercs as the missions explored the other conflicts more.

For very brief periods of time there were other conflicts going on. But for most of the era, most factions are just sitting around. The CC and DC wrap up everything in 3064. The FWL gets a single action (Jeremy Brett going to Arcadia). The Falcon Incursion starts and ends in 3064. The Wolves only participate lightly in the Falcon Incursion and are otherwise doing nothing. The Bears are only active in 3063 and 3064. Honestly it's not surprising that people aren't that into it given how little they have to chew on that isn't a slapfight between bumbling idiot siblings.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 17:26:15 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 09 April 2024, 20:08:43 »
eh not really, the 3025 grogs where a vocal minority, vocal yes but very much a minority

The merc and house books painted a wonderful, diverse world to play in. Then that world moved on, focusing on a small slice of it with new factions.

I like playing CBT with Jihad tech era tech. I got into the game/setting during clan invasion.

If I had to GM a game in any era, it would be immediate post-Jihad. Mauled house armies, bandits with supplies from the WOBbies, Wobbie hunting, and the RotS trying to yank your gear. That doesn't last long, but...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #49 on: 10 April 2024, 18:29:15 »
Given its the winner in votes right now, I'd say its not that small of a minority.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 11 April 2024, 10:16:31 »
If Sub-Eras can also be taken into account, I would say that the Wars of Reaving earn the distinction of being the first "new" branch of BattleTech that was brought into being by Catalyst Game Labs. At least, "new" in the sense of not having been largely pre-empted by the post-3067 events told through MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction.

The success of WoR, both as a product (to include its Supplemental file) and as a sub-Era, showed that CGL was well placed to take the reins of the BT setting, even before they were finally able to go past the point at which MW:DA/AoD left things off through late Dark Age products like A Bonfire of Worlds and Era Report: 3145.

Plus, that sub-Era gave Clan Goliath Scorpion its own trajectory, upon which more recent products like Operational Turning Points: Hanseatic Crusade could build. Even if the fate of the Homeworld Clans which Abjured them remains unknown as of this time of typing...
« Last Edit: 11 April 2024, 10:18:30 by Nerroth »

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 12 April 2024, 15:26:12 »
Given its the winner in votes right now, I'd say its not that small of a minority.

I’d make a distinction between the grogs BD references and people who play everything but still think SW is the best era.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 12 April 2024, 15:30:16 »
I’d make a distinction between the grogs BD references and people who play everything but still think SW is the best era.

Indeed, I'm far from a grog, but there are aspects of the 3025 period I'd easily contend where the best. I've long been saying that ever since he died, FASA/Fanpro/CGL have been trying to recreate Hanse Davion, and largely failing for example

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 12 April 2024, 17:49:39 »
I didn't choose SW myself, but, I agree that it's one of my favorites, and for a totally new reason recently....

My GM has been playing a lot of Republic Era missions lately & this will sound weird but, I'm feeling a bit grog-ish when I try to make a force.

So many new models, mixed tech, experimental equipment, etc etc.

I'm like, I kind of want to play 4th SW so I can have a smaller list of things to pick from, LOL.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #54 on: 12 April 2024, 19:52:04 »
FASA/Fanpro/CGL have been trying to recreate Hanse Davion, and largely failing for example
I see it more as everyone keeps comparing newer characters to Hanse Davion.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 13 April 2024, 02:50:57 »
I see it more as everyone keeps comparing newer characters to Hanse Davion.

Hanse Davion is considered kinda the prototypical "genius faction leader" but the differance between him and pretty much every other attempt is Hanse Davion didn't go into a fight where he was behind and manage to win via a genius BS tactic, Hanse's genius was stacking the deck so hard in his favor, victory was all but assured.

this is rather differant from say, SunTzu, or Alaric

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 13 April 2024, 06:58:19 »
Like I said, people keep comparing other characters to Hanse Davion.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer