Author Topic: 3250 reference in Second Succession War  (Read 6977 times)

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
Re: 3250 reference in Second Succession War
« Reply #60 on: 24 May 2018, 18:27:49 »
So CGL should've released products that the fans, at the time, said they didn't want? ;)

No.  Not everyone was against the time jump.

CGL never really explained their vision for the future well to the fans.  Maybe they didn’t have a great plan set up. I don’t know but soon as fans reacted negatively to the hints and ideas that were presented,  CGL went on the defensive and became antagonistic in turn. It was probably the worst period that I’ve seen the game go through.  What I don’t want to see is finger pointing and blaming about stuff that has past. Battletech seems to have more communicative and open management team and the customers in turn appear to be more open to discussion and change. I don’t want to go back to the bad old days.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #61 on: 24 May 2018, 18:47:42 »
So CGL should've released products that the fans, at the time, said they didn't want? ;)

Aren't we always told the the forums represent a tiny slice of the fandom as a whole? Why would they base any of their strategy on how the forums reacted? No, my understanding was that those plans didn't go forward because of feedback from the people directly privy to the initial drafts of them, not anything to do with a couple people here expressing their discontent.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #62 on: 24 May 2018, 19:54:32 »
I'm not denying that things got hairy there for a while. I was fired for being antagonistic, after all. But my point is that normally any issues upper management had with the products and plans would've been addressed behind closed doors before the fans ever heard of them. But, because someone broke NDA, CGL/IMR's "brass" felt their hands were forced. The outcry really was vociferous, and while I think CGL made some serious errors in their handling of the situation - and believe me, I've got my bones to pick with them - at the time it looked like a total revolt of the fanbase. BattleTech needs new players, yes, but it is mostly surviving thanks to folks like you.

I apologize for making it seem like the fans were the problem. Really, they weren't. From the information they had, it did look like it was a Warhammer-style "throw out everything you own and buy all new stuff" move.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #63 on: 24 May 2018, 23:09:50 »
You know what really tickles my pickle here? Because of the fan furor, instead of regular releases of products moving the timeline forward that some might not have liked, we instead got several years of very few products at all, and a good chunk of that was rehashed material. *slow claps* Good work, guys.

Looking through this forum and remembering when there was a lot more activity and discussions during the Jihad, and the lack of products, I've thought the same thing.

Then I realized they probably are happy.  Most of the old faces I recognize still posting on these boards were against advancing the story, after all. 

Products they weren't going to buy in the first place not being released isn't going to bother them.  Discussions on these boards that were of no interest to them won't be missed.

I first encountered Battletech through the card game back in the 90s.  In the two decades I've followed the game, it's advanced a decade and a half or so- the Jihad.  The Dark Ages was originally from the Wizkids game.

A five year hiatus of products is nothing new to fans that choose to ignore eras such as anything post 3067, 3050, or even 3030.

Hell, new players in HBS asking about the 'tabletop' are often warned against buying new products and instead pointed to eBay for the original FASA stuff because 3025 is the only real Battletech  ::).

Sometimes I wonder if Catalyst threw in the towel on Battletech if most of the still active base would just move to a fan forum and things would continue as if nothing changed.

I'm not denying that things got hairy there for a while. I was fired for being antagonistic, after all. But my point is that normally any issues upper management had with the products and plans would've been addressed behind closed doors before the fans ever heard of them. But, because someone broke NDA, CGL/IMR's "brass" felt their hands were forced. The outcry really was vociferous, and while I think CGL made some serious errors in their handling of the situation - and believe me, I've got my bones to pick with them - at the time it looked like a total revolt of the fanbase. BattleTech needs new players, yes, but it is mostly surviving thanks to folks like you.

I apologize for making it seem like the fans were the problem. Really, they weren't. From the information they had, it did look like it was a Warhammer-style "throw out everything you own and buy all new stuff" move.

Was the NDA specific to 3250 content?  I must have missed that- I remember some former TPTB saying that when 3250 was scuttled, payment for work that had been done (but not released) was put on hiatus and I thought that might have been the NDA breaking thing.

With all the attempts to provide content to all eras- Historicals for Inner Sphere and Clans, Jihad and Dark Ages books as well as Era reports for new players interested in the Clan Invasion and Civil War, my understanding when the news of 3250 broke was that it was just another era.  New tech, new mechs, etc. sure but it wasn't as if I couldn't throw down a game in 3180 or whatever with 3145 'mechs taking on the new technology, or one week play a game in 3250 and the next play a 3025 game.

You know, same shit different era.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 23:11:23 by Sid »
Formerly known as 'Phad'

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #64 on: 25 May 2018, 04:17:43 »
Look, people are allowed to enjoy what they enjoy. It's a damn shame that they got the impression that the entire game was going to change, but this is why we sign NDAs.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #65 on: 25 May 2018, 06:46:19 »
As I have said the worst things about any property are the fans.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #66 on: 25 May 2018, 07:29:17 »

Hell, new players in HBS asking about the 'tabletop' are often warned against buying new products and instead pointed to eBay for the original FASA stuff because 3025 is the only real Battletech  ::).

I'd like to believe that this group of people are a vocal minority.  I don't believe Battletech would have survived this long if these people were in the majority.  Someone had to be buying the Jihad era source books.

If anything good came out of the original time jump fiasco it is that there seems to be a lot more civil discussion between the groups who want change and those who want everything to stay the same.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #67 on: 25 May 2018, 09:37:51 »
Nah, Grogs still grog . . . I think some of the TW-AS infighting has died down, I know I still have my reservations but some of my attitude on AS has changed.  My interest has also morph'd when we had a TPTB happily talk about wiping out my original faction that brought me into the game- the writing for that was on the wall however in the Jihad.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #68 on: 25 May 2018, 09:53:45 »
As I have said the worst things about any property are the fans.

Yup.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #69 on: 25 May 2018, 12:38:33 »
I was going to let it go but since it came up a few times I need to clarify. There was NO NDA breach on 3250. Please stop spreading that.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Register