Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 141391 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #60 on: 16 June 2019, 12:21:38 »
I'm still only a maybe at this point... I have to go down to Norfolk at some point, and it all depends on a mechanic, and when he can get a new engine for my truck...

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #61 on: 16 June 2019, 13:16:14 »
atm, I'm not available next weekend.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #62 on: 16 June 2019, 13:27:34 »
Yep... logistics are the problem for those of us of a certain age...  It was easy in college, not even a chance when I was first working, and still hard now that retirement is less than a decade away...  Some day, it'll be easy again...  ::)

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 16 June 2019, 13:43:32 »
No worries.  I know next weekend is your bi-weekly meeting at Battlegrounds there Mat.

Hope the car situation gets resolved without any complications there Daryk.

These next several sessions I'm putting together is sort of testing the waters at the new venue.  Which sort of gives me time to steadily work on making some foam hills for a hex grid map.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #64 on: 16 June 2019, 13:49:50 »
Cool... if you want any help with working in-game logistics, just let me know.  Accountant-tech isn't a deterrent for me...  ^-^

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #65 on: 17 June 2019, 23:01:01 »
No worries.  I know next weekend is your bi-weekly meeting at Battlegrounds there Mat.
I'm not certain I'm headed there either.   I have an exterminator coming to my house that day who I thought I scheduled for a different weekend.  I'm likely late going to either, it would just be a later arrival to get to Ashburn/Leesburg area where the store is.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #66 on: 18 June 2019, 03:44:58 »
It's looking more and more like Norfolk this weekend for me...

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #67 on: 19 June 2019, 20:15:16 »
I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll be down for coming in again once I get back.  Glad all is better again. 

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #68 on: 19 June 2019, 22:08:45 »
It's looking more and more like Norfolk this weekend for me...

Hey, at least that means stuff is getting done...hopefully...

I'm out of town this weekend, but I'll be down for coming in again once I get back.  Glad all is better again. 

Sure thing.  I've still got to build up the player base, so no rush.
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 19 June 2019, 22:10:20 »
Oh!  Before I forget.  I will NOT be in town on 4th of July weekend.  Gonna be going down to Norfolk to visit some old buddies of mine.

So I will NOT be running anything that weekend.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 22 June 2019, 20:05:27 »
So while only 2 people showed up this weekend to play (myself included), I managed to pique the interest of about half a dozen Warhammer 40K players who were playing in a tournament.

Hopefully I can convert a few of the heathens.

Due to the lack of players this weekend, I decided to push the scenario back to next week.  As a quick reminder, its Capellans attacking a Marik weapons facility.

If you wish to bring your own mech and want to play on the side of Liao, get any mech that's C3 capable around the FedCom Civil war era.

If you want to play as a Free-worlder, any Marik styled mech in the same era will work.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #71 on: 22 June 2019, 20:33:26 »
Sorry I couldn't make it, but at least I managed to prevail upon the children to mow the damned lawn down here in Norfolk.  I have no idea what next weekend is going to look like.  I might have a car, I might not, but as long as Firesprocket or Tinyozora I should at least have transportation options...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 22 June 2019, 23:10:39 »
Well, at the very least I managed to play a game with Jatska.  He got to see how Improved JJs, ATMs, heavy lasers and C3 works.

Each of us picked 4 mechs at random from a folder.  He got a Supernova (atm variant), Stormcrow A, Pouncer and the LRM 20 Adder.

I got a Timberwolf D, Stooping Hawk F, Hunchback 2C (atm variant) and...a Locust 1S....

When I made the folder of record sheets, I rolled randomly for pilot skills; 1d4 for gunnery and 1d6 for piloting.  Got some interesting results.  For instance, the Supernova was a 2 gunner but a 6 pilot.

As for the game, the Locust didnt make it past turn 3.  The Adder soaked up WAAAY too much fire power.  It took 6 salvos from ATM 12s among some lasers.  It went down on turn 5.

Supernova was taking a lot of damage and fell a couple of times.  But then managed to come back with a vengeance on the Timberwolf and hit it with 1 ER Lrg laser and all 4 ATM-9s in one turn using HE ammo.  The ATMs alone did 96 damage.  The Timberwolf took it like a champ, but the Hunchback went down from the Pouncer and Stormcrow ganging up on it.

The Timber wolf ran to get partial cover from the Pouncer and Stormcrow while the Stooping Hawk was keeping the pressure up on the Supernova.

Timberwolf suffered an ammo explosion that took out it's right torso.  The pilot failed their consciousness check which then caused an automatic fall.  One of the hit location resulted in a through armor critical on the center torso.  Three hits were rolled which caused the 3rd engine hit.

The Stooping Hawk was whittling down the Supernova and managed to take off its left torso.  Stooping Hawk was dancing around, but the Supernova's aim was pretty damn good.  Ended up coring the Stooping Hawk 3-4 turns after the Timberwolf went down.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2019, 23:17:45 by Jester006 »

Jatska

• Recruit
« Reply #73 on: 23 June 2019, 13:14:07 »
It was fun and alot of people remarked on how they use to play but many were busy with a big tourney going on. Rolling that Locust was a funny moment, odd ball out of that mix lot. Puma ate his wheaties that day, was shocking to see him standing after all that. Im amazed you remember that much when at one point we couldnt remember if 2 or 3 of lasers hit that we rolled 10 seconds ago haha.

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #74 on: 23 June 2019, 19:28:12 »
I might have a car, I might not, but as long as Firesprocket or Tinyozora I should at least have transportation options...
I'm making my plan to be there so yes, I can pick you up.

1300 start on Saturday still?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #75 on: 23 June 2019, 19:42:12 »
Cool, thanks!  And I see I was rushing on that last post and left out a few words...  :P

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #76 on: 23 June 2019, 23:21:13 »
1300 start on Saturday still?

Yup.  1 PM at Huzzah Hobbies Saturday June 29th.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2019, 06:13:21 by Jester006 »

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #77 on: 27 June 2019, 19:32:22 »
So Jester, since I've not heard from Paul on if i can get my mechs, I've got a few blisters i'll bring with me to put together based on what others have with em. 

Also...how about a mixed mech/vehicle C3 lance? :D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #78 on: 27 June 2019, 20:04:56 »
Also...how about a mixed mech/vehicle C3 lance? :D

Hmmm, I'd have to know what vehicle(s) you have in mind.  The C3 force are a bunch of Capellans looking to do a smash and dash.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2019, 20:10:43 by Jester006 »

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: 27 June 2019, 22:43:32 »
So Jester, since I've not heard from Paul on if i can get my mechs, I've got a few blisters i'll bring with me to put together based on what others have with em. 
If you or anyone else needs a certain mech(s) just send me a message and I can pack it and bring it with me.

Hmmm, I'd have to know what vehicle(s) you have in mind.  The C3 force are a bunch of Capellans looking to do a smash and dash.
C3 Cappellans doesn't have that much variety according to the MUL during the Civil War period.  Even when toss in IS General selections and including vehicles there are only 36 units that have C3 when counting vehicles.  You are running the game so it is your call.  The FWL has more units that mount ECM than the CC has C3 units though  :(

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 27 June 2019, 22:47:08 »
Also as I'm looking at what to bring to the table is their some sort of BV balancing or fixed pilots you are going to assign so I'm not picking out something with a BV that I'll end up with a 6/6 pilot?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #81 on: 27 June 2019, 22:57:22 »
C3 Cappellans doesn't have that much variety according to the MUL during the Civil War period.

Yes, standard Capellans dont have much in the way of C3; but who said these were standard Capellans?   >:D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 27 June 2019, 23:06:10 »
Also as I'm looking at what to bring to the table is their some sort of BV balancing or fixed pilots you are going to assign so I'm not picking out something with a BV that I'll end up with a 6/6 pilot?

If you wish to fight on the Capellan side, bring any mech no slower than a 4/6 that is C3 capable with a 2/3 pilot.  No need to worry about what the adjusted BV is after adjusting for C3; I can always throw more Free Worlders on the table.

If you want to fight on the side of Marik, you can pick anything that is typical for the era.  Plan to have a 3/4 pilot.  If you have a mech in mind, let me know what the base BV is and I'll see make adjustments from there.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 27 June 2019, 23:19:18 »
I'm more than likely going to hop in on the FWL side.  I haven't decided what yet.  I figured pair it down to a list of 4 mechs with one at each weight class and pick out when I get there to best fit the side or just throw caution to the wind and play a Yeoman and own everyone ;D

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
« Reply #84 on: 28 June 2019, 09:32:32 »
If you wish to fight on the Capellan side, bring any mech no slower than a 4/6 that is C3 capable with a 2/3 pilot.  No need to worry about what the adjusted BV is after adjusting for C3; I can always throw more Free Worlders on the table.
Awww...I had a CPLT-K4 sitting around and a Sha Yu to pair it with, along with LRM carrier.  Find some master somewhere for the 4th.  But CPLT-K4 is only 3/5/3.

At least i'll have a Sha Yu.  Will depend on terrain for it i guess since it has an lrm5 for the c3 version's ranged damage >.>

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 28 June 2019, 22:59:21 »
Awww...I had a CPLT-K4 sitting around and a Sha Yu to pair it with, along with LRM carrier.  Find some master somewhere for the 4th.  But CPLT-K4 is only 3/5/3.

At least i'll have a Sha Yu.  Will depend on terrain for it i guess since it has an lrm5 for the c3 version's ranged damage >.>

The Capellan Order of Battle has an entire company of mechs with C3.  So if you dont have a mech with a master, one will be provided.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 12 July 2019, 16:17:59 »
Ok, next game is Saturday July 20th at Huzzah Hobbies starting at 1PM.

Format is you can bring any list of your own creation with a BV2 value of 14k or less.  This will be a team battle, but with a twist...You won't initially know who your teammates are.

Everyone will be dealt a poker card.  Clubs/Spades vs Hearts/Diamonds.  You can shoot at any unit whose side is unknown to you.  The only way to confirm what side someone is on is to have one of your units within 3 hexes and have LOS of an unidentified unit at the END of the movement phase.

When this occurs, the players who own those units will show their loyalty card ONLY TO THE PERSON(S) IN RANGE.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2019, 16:20:27 by Jester006 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #87 on: 12 July 2019, 16:21:05 »
Interesting idea!  Also, my wife just found the Compleat Strategist in East Falls Church (a little less than 3 miles from my house... walking distance!).  Have you looked into them?  She said they have very little gaming space, but not none...

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 12 July 2019, 16:28:36 »
I don't know if I will make it or not.  Is there benefit for identification purposes if I bring something with an active probe?

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 12 July 2019, 16:32:34 »
I have been to the Complete Strategist a couple times.  Each time I've been there it was a mess.  With all the product they have stacked up, it makes things very cramped.