Author Topic: Thoughts on the 'I'm not a Celestial really' Prefect  (Read 4048 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Thoughts on the 'I'm not a Celestial really' Prefect
« on: 21 November 2013, 06:10:25 »
Background

One of the 3085 machines that rumbled into the light as part of the RAF's inventory and a major part of their inventory the Prefect, named after a Republic military Rank was built to replace post jihad wrecks and make the RAF more homegenous.  It was also designed to be an attempt at sweet talking the Krupps arms firm after Krupps decided that clearly the people freeing Terra from the WoB's control was a bad thing and sued the Republic for damages done to their many Terra facilities.  Exarch Stone ordered a new mech to be built on Terra to try and sweet talk Krupps and other arms firms that had 'suffered' during the Liberation.  That idea fell flat on its face as they still sued much to Exarch Stone's teeth grinding frustration.

Firepower and Performance

The 75 tonne Prefect is a formidable heavy and quite a technology demonstrator built for medium to close range brawls.  Designed as a heavy raider that would have minimal ammo concerns after Stone's experience the mech is a energy laser rave but only mounts four guns.  With a 5/8 movement curve and Light engine the engineers threw everything they had into saving weight at the expense of space, with both an endosteel and ferro-fiberious skeleton and skill as well as an XL gyro there's little room for weapons but with the space conservative energy weapons mix this isn't that big a problem.  The styling is also somewhat iffy. It looks rather like an Archangel Celestial Omni that someone cut the jutting 'beak' off and then trimmed weight. Considering that some of the manufacturers involved in the machines design were also involved in Celestial production and design one can imagine that it was inevitable.

The machine's main punch comes in the form of a formidable Heavy PPC, which is long ranged enough for most engagements and hits as hard as the much feared Clan ER PPC. Backing this up is a pair of ER Medium Lasers and a Snub-Nosed PPC for up close encounters. This somewhat limited array of weapons still has enough throw weight and 17 double heatsinks can control the heat without too many issues.  The fast ground speed also help the machine dictate the range and bring its firepower to bare against all but the most elusive mechs.

Variants

Thus far one main variant exists and this could become the primary combat model.  Retaining the heatsinks, armour and movement of the 1R the R2 swaps its weapons.  Instead of the weighty Heavy PPC and the two ER Mediums it trades them in for a pair of Light PPCs and another Snub Nosed PPC.  I suppose its more personal preference for what you want, do you want flexibility or the big knock down slap of the Heavy PPC.

Thoughts

Asthetics aside the Prefect is a formidable machine, fast, well protected and with a punch that can't be ignored.  Its high speed also allow it to flank and support heavier and lighter elements where a slower machine might be left behind, lending a heavy punch to a Medium Lance as well as acting as a formidable bodyguard for a Command Mech.

[Commando]  So Prefect..I hear you're a Celestial now?
[Prefect] We've been over this before. Not a Celestial...can you please stop bringing it up.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Thoughts on the 'I'm not a Celestial really' Prefect
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2013, 06:56:49 »
Thus far one main variant exists and this could become the primary combat model. 

Incorrect.

There is PRF-3R Prefect with TSEMP.

(And there is one customized ride too - Prefect Veronica).

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2013, 07:04:28 »
I've not got the sheet thing with that so to me It's unknown.  But I stand corrected :)

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2013, 07:26:18 »
The PRF-1R Prefect (Veronica) can be found in Lance Pack Dossiers: Lamenkov's Liability while the PRF-3R is from RS: 3145 - New Tech, New Upgrades.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2013, 07:34:48 »
much obliged, i'll get the 3145 upgrades when I have the money to do so.  Car tax and electrcity bill mean things are tight now.  But that aside...what about the mech itself?  What do folks think?
« Last Edit: 21 November 2013, 07:36:43 by marauder648 »

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2013, 11:26:14 »
The Prefect is the poster child for 3085 era designs, to me.  "New" PPCs, LFE, XL components.  It's about as crafted as Inner Sphere mechs get in that era without going into the experimental tech pool.  Very solid design, tough and well suited for line duty.  I prefer the dual SNPPC 2R variant because the 5/8 movement profile cries out to be used for kicks.  Delicious kicks.  You could do alot worse with the technologies at hand.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2013, 13:06:28 »
Of the original two versions I'm so hard pressed to say which I prefer. Depending on what ranges are involved, the damage is often similar with one variant just edge out the other. As you said, it comes down preference and whether you need to have a big, scary head capper. Though I can see occasions where not have the HPPC drawing attention to the Prefect could be handy.

Personally, I'm a bit confused on the idea of a Celestial lineage. The only overlapping component you be the Durallex armor which has a number of manufacturers. Not to say that the companies involved didn't produce equipment and arms for the Word, but you'd be hard pressed for find a Terran manufacturer that hadn't.

On the whole, it's a solid heavy. And that's not even touching on the 3R.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2013, 13:37:13 »
The fluff mentions the XL Gyro. But in this particular case, I am ready to tolerate it.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2013, 13:40:25 by martian »

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2013, 13:55:29 »
Ah, I took the XL gyro as a concession to Krupp to (unsuccessfully) halt the pending lawsuit. I missed that it had a Celestial connection. Mea culpa.

As for the XL gyro itself, it doesn't bother me. I've lost far more IS 'Mechs to side torso destruction that disabled gyros.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2013, 16:04:02 »
Do you think that the new FWLM fields the Prefect? This 'Mech is from Irian and that world has been part of the new Free Worlds League for a decade or so.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #10 on: 21 November 2013, 16:16:34 »
I wouldn't see why not.  Other than the name, it's a natural choice.  And, it's not like the FWLM can be picky about things like that with the Wolves, Regulans, Anduriens, Capellans and Canopians breathing down their neck.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #11 on: 21 November 2013, 16:34:17 »
Agreed, little reason for the reformed FWL not to. Of course that begs the question, did the Republic manage to set up production in Prefecture X before the Fortress Republic protocols were enacted. Irian became contested.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2013, 16:58:36 by Pa Weasley »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 21 November 2013, 21:16:37 »
I like the Prefect, its tough and hard hitting 'Mech for its time.   I think fictional wise, it will fade away.  Unless they're a great need for 'Mechs, production will properly be shifted to something else with the survivors lingering around for bit.

I don't think it comes close to resembling a Celestrial though.  Not even close.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 November 2013, 17:21:10 »
It works... I've used it a couple times, since the fig came out..... and is one of the rare heavy designs that I don't mind.
As for the Celestial resemblance, I do see it... but then again, if you take a cruise through the Republic 3145 TRO --- a LOT of their stuff is reminiscent of WOB.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."