Author Topic: What fighters are good for teaching new players?  (Read 2302 times)

Fallen_Raven

• Major
What fighters are good for teaching new players?
« on: 02 July 2018, 18:41:47 »
So I have some people in the area interested in trying Aerospace fighters. I'm wanting to run 1v1 dogfights for people to get familiar with the rules. When I introduce 'mechs or vehicles I'm familiar enough to set up a fair match up, but fighters are a little out of my expertise.

Would you folks have suggestions for good match ups?
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
Re: What fighters are good for teaching new players?
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2018, 20:58:24 »
I like Corsair - shes about the ‘classic’ Battletech aerospace fighter, if there was one.  Shes got some heat management, solid but not crazy armor, enough firepower to get things done, but not so much matches are over before they start.

Are you doing vector or cinematic movement?  I prefer vector, because theres no banking in space, but the two play very differently.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2018, 21:07:17 »
I was thinking atmospheric flight first to get that dogfighting feel, then vector when we move on to space battles.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2018, 21:08:11 »
Ahh.  For Atmo, Im not your guy - played enough to figure out that I -hated- the lawndart rule, and quit.

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2018, 06:18:14 »
Pick a slow one. I played against aerofighters in megamek where my opponents were able to pass like 50 hexes with ease. On a table I prefer a radar map. In space there is a temptation to just burn trough 12 hexes right away with 12 "movement" points available, which limits maneuverability and triggers control rolls in following turns.

I also think You should begin in space map, less rules to remember.
(+)

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2018, 09:26:23 »
I like Corsair - shes about the ‘classic’ Battletech aerospace fighter, if there was one.  Shes got some heat management, solid but not crazy armor, enough firepower to get things done, but not so much matches are over before they start.

Are you doing vector or cinematic movement?  I prefer vector, because theres no banking in space, but the two play very differently.

I would add the Stingray. 

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 05 September 2018, 05:29:19 »
The Chippewa would be my choice . But the Mechbuster conventional fighter may be a better learning tool . If it is a late enough ERA maybe put precision ammo in it

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 05 September 2018, 13:46:00 »
For teaching advanced vector movement and fuel tracking, the Slayer. that double size fueltank gives it plenty of padding to make up for the occasional new player mistakes. plus it has some good variants.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 13:47:56 by glitterboy2098 »

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 September 2018, 20:42:54 »
The Chippewa would be my choice . But the Mechbuster conventional fighter may be a better learning tool . If it is a late enough ERA maybe put precision ammo in it
Conventional and Aerospace craft cannot use alternative ammunition types (like Precision AC ammo or Inferno SRM ammo), AFAIK.