Poll

Which is the best mainstream faction?! (For you)

Federated Suns
49 (21.1%)
Lyran Commonwealth
19 (8.2%)
Capellan Confederation
10 (4.3%)
Draconis Combine
14 (6%)
Free World's League
30 (12.9%)
Periphery Power
12 (5.2%)
Clan Wolf
3 (1.3%)
Clan Ghost Bear
16 (6.9%)
Clan Jade Falcon
5 (2.2%)
Clan Smoke Jaguar
2 (0.9%)
Clan Diamond Shark (Sea Fox)
2 (0.9%)
Clan Hell's Horses
2 (0.9%)
Clan Snow Raven
5 (2.2%)
Clan Steel Viper
2 (0.9%)
Clan Blood Spirit
2 (0.9%)
Clan Burrock
0 (0%)
Clan Cloud Cobra
0 (0%)
Clan Coyote
3 (1.3%)
Clan Fire Mandrill
0 (0%)
Clan Goliath Scorpion
3 (1.3%)
Clan Ice Hellion
2 (0.9%)
Clan Mongoose
0 (0%)
Clan Nova Cat
4 (1.7%)
Clan Star Adder
1 (0.4%)
Clan Stone Lion
0 (0%)
Clan Wolverine
2 (0.9%)
Clan Wolf in Exile
4 (1.7%)
Republic of the Sphere
7 (3%)
Wolf's Dragoons
5 (2.2%)
Northwind Highlanders
0 (0%)
Kellhounds
1 (0.4%)
Grey Death Legion
1 (0.4%)
Other Mercs
6 (2.6%)
Other
10 (4.3%)
Word of Blake
7 (3%)
ComStar
3 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 232

Author Topic: Which is the best mainstream faction?! (For you)  (Read 19236 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Which is the best mainstream faction?! (For you)
« Reply #30 on: 31 May 2020, 13:32:19 »
we are sustained purely by spite and self-loathing.

read as

we are sustained purple-y by spite and self-loathing.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #31 on: 31 May 2020, 13:34:13 »
Ok... that made me giggle...  :D

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #32 on: 31 May 2020, 13:34:47 »
Quite a few surprises there. Virtually no love for the Homeworld Clans, but quite a bit of support for Clan Wolverine. Also no one plays the Dragoons? lol I voted CSJ, would have had WoB as 2nd and Random Merc as 3rd.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 31 May 2020, 13:42:19 »
Great House: Lyran Commonwealth, followed by the FWL
Periphery: Marian Hegemony, followed by the Hanseatic League
Inner Sphere Clans: Clan Hell’s Horses, followed by Clan Diamond Shark
Homeworlds Clans: Clan Cloud Cobra, followed by Clan Stone Lion
Honorable Mentions: Raven Alliance and Escorpión Imperio

Favorite Dead Factions: Rim World’s Republic, Clan Mongoose

Also, most of my favorite merc units are also dead: Grey Death Legion, Mobile Fire, Hell’s Black Aces, (the contractually obligated) Clifton’s Rangers

I also like Bannson’s Raiders, but I’m not exactly sure of their status right now.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2020, 13:50:43 »
I feel like you can tell forum demographics have shifted very strongly in that the FWL is leading this poll right now!  ;D Hat's off to the Leaguers, you guys are nothing if not dedicated!
Historically, the Free Worlds League was a popular second state among fans. I think you at least once listed it among your favorite Successor States.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 31 May 2020, 13:55:08 »
Also no one plays the Dragoons?

Well, if my suspicions are right, we won't have to distinguish between Wolf, Wolf in Exile, Wolf's Dragoons, or either flavor of Steel Wolf for much longer. It'll just be one big ilClan Wolf. Maybe even a Wolf Hegemony.  :)

That said, if it was a poll with a wider gamut and the ability to choose more than one option, my votes would be something like:

(1) Clan Wolf
(2) Clan Ghost Bear
(3) Clan Wolf in Exile
(4) Camacho's Caballeros
(5) Federated Suns
(6) Wolf's Dragoons
(7) Clan Coyote
(8) Clan Sea Fox
(9) Terran Hegemony
(10) Clan Smoke Jaguar
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 31 May 2020, 13:56:37 »
Well, if my suspicions are right, we won't have to distinguish between Wolf, Wolf in Exile, Wolf's Dragoons, or either flavor of Steel Wolf for much longer. It'll just be one big ilClan Wolf. Maybe even a Wolf Hegemony.  :)

That said, if it was a poll with a wider gamut and the ability to choose more than one option, my votes would be something like:

(1) Clan Wolf
(2) Clan Ghost Bear
(3) Clan Wolf in Exile
(4) Camacho's Caballeros
(5) Federated Suns
(6) Wolf's Dragoons
(7) Clan Coyote
(8) Clan Sea Fox
(9) Terran Hegemony
(10) Clan Smoke Jaguar
You forgot Clan Jade Wolf. ;D

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 31 May 2020, 14:02:44 »
You forgot Clan Jade Wolf. ;D

For the all of an afternoon they existed, they'd probably show up somewhere around 17th on an extended list.  ;)

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #38 on: 31 May 2020, 14:04:14 »
Historically, the Free Worlds League was a popular second state among fans. I think you at least once listed it among your favorite Successor States.

You'd be correct, but historically in these kinds of faction polls it rarely came in this high. It's nice to see!

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #39 on: 31 May 2020, 14:10:53 »
Other mercs, currently in service to the FWL.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #40 on: 31 May 2020, 15:25:45 »
Voted Team Other for the forgotten but not gone Escorpion Imperio.

One does wonder how the Exiles, the Abjured, the Dead Clans, even the newly created Clan got on the list but the Scorps are the only Clan that didn't?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #41 on: 31 May 2020, 15:30:27 »
I was disappointed early in my Battletech career by the Free Worlds League.... When I got my first box set (the one with the folded card mechs) back in the 80s, I saw the purple eagle emblems and was super excited to play Mech driving Space Romans!!... Turns out they were Mech driving Space European Union....  :P.  Not nearly as exciting....  ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 31 May 2020, 15:31:42 »
Space NATO is way more interesting to model them as...  ^-^

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #43 on: 31 May 2020, 15:36:44 »
It’s more like having six teenage brothers locked in a four bedroom house

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 31 May 2020, 15:39:17 »
Given my experience with 3 daughters and 1 son, I think I'd modify that to "siblings" rather than just "brothers"...  ^-^

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 31 May 2020, 15:42:36 »
Other
There is no FedCom in this poll

Agreed. I voted Fed Suns but FedCom was my favorite. Also FWL second & Magistracy of Canopus in third place.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #46 on: 31 May 2020, 15:49:33 »
I was disappointed early in my Battletech career by the Free Worlds League.... When I got my first box set (the one with the folded card mechs) back in the 80s, I saw the purple eagle emblems and was super excited to play Mech driving Space Romans!!... Turns out they were Mech driving Space European Union....  :P.  Not nearly as exciting....  ;D

The FWL seem to suffer from a identity crisis in the early years. The FWL does have many of the trappings of SPQR (Eagle emblem, a love of purple and a dysfunctional senate) but it's like Fasa decided not to go that route when they thought up of the Marian Hegemony (who I find to be a great punching bag for my mercs ;) ) Honestly, I should like the FWL allot more as they are not as trope heavy handed with the tropes as the other houses but... I don't know, I guess I really just like don't like the color purple :P My apologies to Leaguers and fans of the artist formerly known as Prince. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #47 on: 31 May 2020, 15:51:52 »
Coded as Clan Goliath Scorpion.

Seconded by Magistracy of Canopus, Spirit Cats, and the Escorpions (naturally)

I should probably rep for my kids, too: Clan Diamond Shark and Clan Cloud Cobra.

wildkadabra

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 31 May 2020, 18:23:52 »
One does wonder how the Exiles, the Abjured, the Dead Clans, even the newly created Clan got on the list but the Scorps are the only Clan that didn't?

They are the evolution of Clan Goliath Scorpion, so you can vote for them like that. Or just vote under other. :)

I do realize we can say the same for some of the listed factions like the Stone Lions, but if we go off on a tangent on what faction merges/evolves/mixes with this and that we'll have a list of over 100 items. Just don't take things too seriously it's all just in good fun and not meant as an end all be all list.  8)
« Last Edit: 31 May 2020, 18:26:33 by wildkadabra »

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #49 on: 31 May 2020, 22:29:09 »
The FWL seem to suffer from a identity crisis in the early years. The FWL does have many of the trappings of SPQR (Eagle emblem, a love of purple and a dysfunctional senate) but it's like Fasa decided not to go that route when they thought up of the Marian Hegemony (who I find to be a great punching bag for my mercs ;) ) Honestly, I should like the FWL allot more as they are not as trope heavy handed with the tropes as the other houses but... I don't know, I guess I really just like don't like the color purple :P My apologies to Leaguers and fans of the artist formerly known as Prince.

I think the big problem was that they were not used in the fiction much for a long time. I know it is not popular with many here but I rather liked the book "Star Lord" and a big reason was that it used the FWL (also I like all the older designs that feature in that story for the most part) and I recall thinking that never really get to see things from their perspective.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2020, 22:29:44 »
I like how, as of now, Comstar is losing to their more edgy, tech-worshipping offspring.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #51 on: 31 May 2020, 23:00:39 »
I like how, as of now, Comstar is losing to their more edgy, tech-worshipping offspring.

It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Crimson Dawn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #52 on: 01 June 2020, 00:25:50 »
Quite a few surprises there. Virtually no love for the Homeworld Clans, but quite a bit of support for Clan Wolverine. Also no one plays the Dragoons? lol I voted CSJ, would have had WoB as 2nd and Random Merc as 3rd.

I am not as surprised at least about the homeworld clans.  I feel that they have received the short end of the stick for attention much like say the FWL back in the day (say the time period from the start of the clan invasion and before).  I would imagine that has a lot to do with it.

As for the dragoons I would wonder how they would compare before and after it was decided that they were actually clan or if it changed after some of the more recent events where they were nearly elminated?

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 01 June 2020, 05:30:45 »
It is difficult to choose just one when it's setup like this (I'd maybe rather see favorites divided on House/Merc/Clan/Timeline lines or something), but I did go with Wolf's Dragoons as they are an early love (so yeah I liked them before the Clans were on the board and well, I didn't stop liking them after, but I'm not sure that association did them any favors either - really the whole setting still feels entirely different pre and post Clans), but I could've picked Kurita just as well. I'm not really settled on what I like in the newer, post-Jihad era either (though kinda happy to see the WD and Dracs together again and on a rampage). I feel like there's room for some new favorites if something stands out to me.

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #54 on: 01 June 2020, 08:58:01 »
Ever since I discovered BattleTech my first love as been small mercenary units.

Of the Big Five, while I don't have a strong affinity for any of them, I particularly stuggled to find anything likeable in the Capellan Confederation.

Of the clans, which I was introduced to by MW2, I had an instant dislike to the Falcons and liking of the Wolves based on nothing more than the two faction intro videos in the game. If I had to pick a clan now it would be either the Bears or the Ravens but that's as much based on liking their logos as it is about knowing anything about them.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Two Guns Blazing

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 01 June 2020, 09:46:35 »
I voted the Ghost Bears...they possess several attributes that I admire. They hold strength in high regard, are well considered and not rash in their decision making, they have an understanding of family bonds, which I think gives them a keen advantage when dealing with Inner Sphere culture, and is likely one of the main reasons why they felt more comfortable about moving practically their entire Clan into the Inner Sphere, and why they were able to eventually merge successfully with a section of it (or so I've read snippets of, I'm not really interested in the time periods that far ahead of the Invasion period)...and I also like their keen interest in Infantry tactics and the use of Battle Armour, their more flexible command structure and the honour they claimed in their victory at Tukayyid...and having what has to be the coolest iconography in the settings doesn't hurt either! What about that Leviathan...

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #56 on: 01 June 2020, 10:15:37 »
Well, the post did state "mainsteam" faction, so that ruled out a few of my choices.

Initially, I was a fan of the Oberon Confederation, but they vanished in a hurry when the test-tube kiddies with the stuffed animal logos appeared.  Not exactly mainstream.

Then I followed the Outworlds Alliance, until the Ravens (probably my second-favorite Clan) showed up and turned it into something that doesn't make any sense at all.  They're not "mainsteam" enough for a separate poll entry.

That left me with my perpetual second choice, the FWL, but they imploded....and now they're back again, mostly, so that's my pick in this poll.  They're certainly a mainsteam faction, at least when they exist at all.

The purple thing is mainly an emblem color, it's not like most of their 'Mechs are painted with it, in fact most of them seem to be shades of green, although the various Marik Militia units are mostly white with purple and red and/or blue trim.  The biggest problem is that for decades, the FWL got practically no recognition in the official timeline and stories from The Powers That Be, at least until the Jihad.  They were always there in the background as this major industrial powerhouse that COULD be extremely significant if the leaders could ever get it to stop bickering internally, but was almost never one of the major players in the stories.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2020, 10:18:51 by Kovax »

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #57 on: 01 June 2020, 11:13:51 »
It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes.

Stolen for sig.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #58 on: 01 June 2020, 11:20:58 »
The purple thing is mainly an emblem color, it's not like most of their 'Mechs are painted with it, in fact most of them seem to be shades of green, although the various Marik Militia units are mostly white with purple and red and/or blue trim.

Don't forget white. There's a major overabundance of that color in their paint schemes.

At least 3085/3145 introduced a few new paint schemes to change things up a bit...although it's a bit of an annoyance to have *yet another* white w/ purple highlight scheme in the Tamarind Regulars.

But yeah, FWL for sure.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #59 on: 01 June 2020, 11:23:15 »
Don't forget white. There's a major overabundance of that color in their paint schemes

To reprise Benjamin Franklin (or whoever said it), white paint schemes are proof that god hates us and wants us to suffer

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register