Author Topic: RecGuide Index and WYSIWYG Variants  (Read 12120 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Re: ilClan - The Rise of.... WYSIWYG-Tech? (a running list)
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2020, 22:27:45 »
Valkyrie, for example.

ERPPC & a RL10 ?   Hehe
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2020, 22:46:02 »
I am interested in seeing what they will do to light support/striker mechs to make them more viable as a unit. 

One suggestion -play on larger maps. 1x2 maps pretty much guarantees a slugfest. Move to 2x2 with some LoS-blocking terrain, or better still 2x3, and suddenly your game includes more flanking actions, maneuver, and trickery. If you've nowhere to run, running doesn't do much for you ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2020, 22:46:29 »
they seem to have forgotten the ammo for the ATM6 on the Hellbringer T. at least in the TRo entry. the record sheet shows 2 tons.
I see it there, right below the ATM6 and right above the 2 AP Gauss
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2020, 23:02:13 »
I think we’ve explored sub optimal flavor designs aplenty.  For the lighter mechs, I’m hoping to see viability.  In 3150’s, that’s a tall order (see Wulfen or Gunsmith).

haha, another convert!
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #34 on: 22 June 2020, 01:29:02 »
I see it there, right below the ATM6 and right above the 2 AP Gauss

i see it now. guess i missed it reading through the first time.

got to say i like the "T", it is like a more coherent and streamlined version of the prime. i think with it i'd take one ton each of standard and HE.. an ATM6 is too small to get much result using ER.

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 22 June 2020, 03:19:27 »
My guess?  A few years down the road, the timeline will shift to the 3250 gladiatorial uprising against the Third Star League that's been hinted at before.  The current starter boxes will be replaced by new ones set in that era.  The IlClan-era mechs (Inner Sphere and Clan) will be available to the gladiators, and the nu-SLDF will get a completely new range.  The first starter box will probably just cover pre-rebellion gladiatorial combat with the current or Kickstarter plastics.

Keeping 3025 as the introductory period is a little awkward.  I get it - the equipment list just gets too long, and I hope they simplify it for the spheroids in 3250.  But I can see the value in getting new players to join the timeline in its "present".

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 22 June 2020, 06:29:38 »
My guess?  A few years down the road, the timeline will shift to the 3250 gladiatorial uprising against the Third Star League that's been hinted at before.  The current starter boxes will be replaced by new ones set in that era.  The IlClan-era mechs (Inner Sphere and Clan) will be available to the gladiators, and the nu-SLDF will get a completely new range.  The first starter box will probably just cover pre-rebellion gladiatorial combat with the current or Kickstarter plastics.

Keeping 3025 as the introductory period is a little awkward.  I get it - the equipment list just gets too long, and I hope they simplify it for the spheroids in 3250.  But I can see the value in getting new players to join the timeline in its "present".

As long as they eliminate the Clan vs Spheroid tech base and even it out I will be happy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #37 on: 22 June 2020, 07:46:50 »
As long as they eliminate the Clan vs Spheroid tech base and even it out I will be happy.
The original plan of 3250 was to do that from all the hints they dropped.  It maybe still thing, but it will very slow goings from everything i've seen.  Were going be living through the early stages of the IlClan (decline of the Succession Houses?) as they fight to claim domination of the Inner Sphere.

Back to the RecGuide, i will like to see some new minis made. The Grasshopper and Commando look bit more different from the originals.  Commando with it's Steiner style monocle over as side of the cockpit windows.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 22 June 2020, 07:58:14 »
Back to the RecGuide, i will like to see some new minis made. The Grasshopper and Commando look bit more different from the originals.  Commando with it's Steiner style monocle over as side of the cockpit windows.  ;D
Commando is in the A Game of Armored Combat Box Set.  Grasshopper will be in the Inner Sphere Heavy Lance from the Kickstarter.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #39 on: 22 June 2020, 11:46:26 »
I suspect that is done already, sorta. 3145 NTNU Dire Wolf config matches the Prime's layout and is pretty nifty.

The variant with eight MPLs? It still needs a more modern tech feel. It needs to be weapon insanity!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #40 on: 22 June 2020, 12:17:11 »

The only hope I pray for is that there isn't a move to make lasers that can switch into ER/Pulse form on a dime like in the 3rd League April Fool's product. If anything would make light 'Mechs obsolete, that'd be it.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #41 on: 22 June 2020, 12:29:42 »
The only hope I pray for is that there isn't a move to make lasers that can switch into ER/Pulse form on a dime like in the 3rd League April Fool's product. If anything would make light 'Mechs obsolete, that'd be it.
It will be fine as long as it is limited to a -1 to-hit, the old -2 is a real killer.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 22 June 2020, 18:39:09 »

The April Fools Third League tech didn't do that though. Just made it obsolete, like Rifle Cannons.

I was actually hoping to get rules for all the Third League Tech. And the UrbieLAM.  ;D

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #43 on: 22 June 2020, 19:17:03 »
The April Fools Third League tech didn't do that though. Just made it obsolete, like Rifle Cannons.

Close enough.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #44 on: 23 June 2020, 08:09:05 »
I personally liked the Third League equipment.  I have doubts if will happen now. Having Armor now behave like primitive armor seem nice way to deal with the issue of obsoletion.  new Era magic wavery of new technology makes old stuff less effective.  Lordy Industrial armor even at 10 rating would be tissue paper.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #45 on: 23 June 2020, 14:08:41 »
I personally liked the Third League equipment.  I have doubts if will happen now. Having Armor now behave like primitive armor seem nice way to deal with the issue of obsoletion.  new Era magic wavery of new technology makes old stuff less effective.  Lordy Industrial armor even at 10 rating would be tissue paper.
especially given the rise of specialty armors during the post-jihad period that reduce damage across the board. it wouldn't be hard to believe that ferro-lamellor was improved on going forward for example. or that someone figure out how to reduce the bulk of hardened armor without losing the benefit, or found a way to combine reflective, anti-ballistic, and reactive armor in some way to make a better general protection armor.

and of course weapons tech would keep pace. we already see a small amount of this in the reengineered lasers that can punch through hardened and ferro-lamellor.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #46 on: 24 June 2020, 17:04:29 »
Another WYSIWYG option for those 10 racks and 6 racks (and 4 racks now that I think of it) MMLs/ATMS with that extra 'tube' fluffed as Artemis IV/V.  "Some variants of X replace the Streak 10 with an ATM9, using a 'false tube' to hold the integral Artemis system."
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #47 on: 02 July 2020, 05:43:52 »
Though I can build a mini to be WYSIWYG according to the sheet ( a few times to my credit so far... ) , it's a good thing that WYSIWYG isn't a requirement for Battletech when fielding a mini to use on the table, especially as not all variants have sculpts. Yes I do enjoy kit-bashing 😁  🐉 .

With that said, I can understand the reasoning for the matching up between mini and sheet. 40K players have to WYSIWYG their units to show their opponent what's to be tabled for battle. Spent some time in the grimdark myself...

Still a good way to introduce 40K players to the glory of Giant Stumpy Robots with which to smite their enemies. Praise the Emperor-6A.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #48 on: 05 July 2020, 09:55:47 »
Time to upgrade the list for Volume 2.

Inner Sphere
UM-R96 UrbanMech
OTT-9J Ostscout
BSW-X4 Bushwhacker
ZEU-11S Zeus
Introtech Behemoth? (sheet currently missing)

Clan
OTT-12R Ostscout
Grendel T
Behemoth 8
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #49 on: 05 July 2020, 10:49:28 »
Been away from my computer for the weekend.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 05 July 2020, 11:15:09 »
Been away from my computer for the weekend.

Having a life on a holiday weekend?

Unacceptable, old chap!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #51 on: 05 July 2020, 11:42:23 »
Don’t jump to any conclusions, there. I’m running after a toddler just like at home but my laptop was not allowed on the journey to the house of grandma

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #52 on: 05 July 2020, 12:30:20 »
Don’t jump to any conclusions, there. I’m running after a toddler just like at home but my laptop was not allowed on the journey to the house of grandma

Is it like that commercial where the family goes over to the grandparents for dinner only to have to run a gauntlet of detectors that ferret out phones and whatnot before they get in?

The little girl’s face when grandpa finds the phone stuffed in her teddy bear is just priceless.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 31 July 2020, 15:55:04 »
I decided that this was the most relevant thread, rather than starting a new one.  Other than the list in the OP of variants from the Recognition Guide: ilClans, has anyone done a list of which variants are actually WYSIWYG to the original loadouts?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #54 on: 31 July 2020, 15:59:38 »
The Rec Guides are actually where this has sprung up from.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 31 July 2020, 16:00:02 »
I decided that this was the most relevant thread, rather than starting a new one.  Other than the list in the OP of variants from the Recognition Guide: ilClans, has anyone done a list of which variants are actually WYSIWYG to the original loadouts?
Like the Banshee 6S BNC-3E mini?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #56 on: 31 July 2020, 16:04:29 »
If anyone did such a list it hasn’t been shared widely here recently

I would imagine it’s actually rather short.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #57 on: 31 July 2020, 16:06:20 »
The Rec Guides are actually where this has sprung up from.

I realise that.
What I mean is, take the Marauder for example, the following have a large and small gun in each arm and a mediumish gun in the torso:
1R, 2R, 3D*, 3L, 3M, 3R, 5L*, 5M*, 5R, 5S*, 5T, 7D, 9S*, 9W*, 9W2*, C
The ones with *s have a larger or energy torso gun, but everything else fits.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #58 on: 31 July 2020, 16:16:31 »
There is a deliberate distinction being made between original and Phoenix designs. None of the latter has been included in the recguides as they have their own art.

A player is more than welcome to say close enough and say the KS marauder 3R is going to be a 9S for game. Indeed the Kickstarter is allowing some to live out their fantasy that Project Phoenix never happened. Canonically they are separate entities and are treated as such

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #59 on: 01 August 2020, 00:33:01 »
That was a really neat thing for the Phoenix TRO, seeing all the variants in design and not just a baseline model.  I know art's expensive, even when it comes to simple variations in things (see my avatar) but sometimes it's really worth it.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!