Author Topic: (Answered) CO - Pirate Contracts  (Read 1220 times)

vagabond820

• Private
(Answered) CO - Pirate Contracts
« on: 26 April 2020, 20:40:54 »
On page 39 under Stage 1, the rules for pirates says:
"Pirates do not generate these opportunities at Hiring Halls. Instead, they roll in the same way as mercenaries to generate “offers,” using the “No Hall” option and their leader’s Investigation skill instead of Negotiation."

The rules does not mention expressly whether or not a pirate force modifies this roll by their reputation modifier and on my 1st read through I interpreted the RAW as excluding this modifier (which starts as a -10).  It made sense that a pirate forces reputation would have no effect on their ability to locate a target.

however, after reading the rules on pg. 39 under Stage 2, I am reconsidering my initial interpretation.  Rule reads as such:
"This step is not so much determining an employer as selecting a victim. Pirates roll in the same manner as a mercenary Force with the “No Hall” modifier. The result is the victim targeted by each raid opportunity."

Both sections say roll in the same manner.  Each section also expressly mentions those aspects that a different.  They make no mention on whether a pirate exclude their reputation modifier. 

However, if a pirate force should add their rep mod, a pirate force  will be hard pressed to find targets and those targets are almost universally going to by 'Independent Worlds or Small States" with independent targets being Nobles with an occasional Planetary Government. 

Is this the intended result or are pirates not supposed to add their rep mod as I originally believed? 
« Last Edit: 03 August 2020, 21:51:54 by Xotl »

vagabond820

• Private
Re: CO - Pirate Contracts
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2020, 22:54:36 »
Follow-up.  On CO pg. 40, it allows a pirate to add or subtract their Negotiation MOS from their Stage 3 determine mission roll.  Should this be Negotiation as written or should it be Investigation as was used in their Stage 1 determine offers roll.

It makes more sense to use Investigation in my opinion.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: CO - Pirate Contracts
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2020, 03:53:01 »
Yep, both those issues need errata. See: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53442.50

Pirates' reputation should not impact their quest for victims.

And p. 40 should use Investigation, not Negotiation.
« Last Edit: 30 April 2020, 04:01:48 by cray »
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.