Author Topic: Strategos Concludes!! (a Great Captain Roberts story)  (Read 21149 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
Re: Strategos Concludes!! (a Great Captain Roberts story)
« Reply #240 on: 26 June 2023, 10:03:21 »
oi!

let that SR Ristar serve on Phoenix.  Here's hoping that CSR doesn't completely flip back to invasion status.  I felt they were growing, slowly, and need to keep looking at a much longer picture.

Maybe that Ristar has an introspective side and takes a long look at all of her new data.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #241 on: 26 June 2023, 13:24:45 »
Sounds like a future Khan is rising through the ranks.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #242 on: 26 June 2023, 17:04:36 »
As described, said Ristar will fare better in the regular forces.  When she's more senior, she'll probably still be receptive to learning the Privateer way of war...  ^-^

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #243 on: 26 June 2023, 17:52:57 »
As described, said Ristar will fare better in the regular forces.  When she's more senior, she'll probably still be receptive to learning the Privateer way of war...  ^-^
Hopefully she will be willing to learn from what Dave Foster is sending to her.  But not sure how well a Ristar is willing to learn that everything isn't COMBAT NOW Focus
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #244 on: 26 June 2023, 18:23:56 »
That's the real evolution necessary in a military career... it only rarely happens, and is even more rarely recognized by promotion.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #245 on: 26 June 2023, 20:26:58 »
Depends on how hard headed McKenna is.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #246 on: 28 June 2023, 08:55:38 »
The little moments

Jonathan Morgan…

…had broken away from Sybil and Murakami because they were tending to business he just was not suited for.  Which had brought him to this bar.

He wasn’t sure why he came here.  Not like he could taste it anymore.  Or even really drink it.
“You seem like someone lost in thought.”  A woman with unusual red eyes came up next to him.

“You’re different.  You’re one of the AIs,”  Jonathan said cautiously.

“Guilty.  But so are you.  Workmanship on your remote is very realistic.”

“Jonathan.  You are?”

“Regina.”

“I came here because talks are at a juncture I don’t have much to contribute to at the moment.  Maybe here shortly.  You just get back in?  I don’t remember seeing more than one M5 docked.”

“No, I’m not in an M5 hull anymore.  I’m in a Bonaventure.”

“That sounds rough.”

“It’s not so bad.  I kind of like it actually.  Sure, it could use more guns.  And I wouldn’t say no to more armor so when I do get into a fight it’s not such a mismatch.  But it’s nimble and with a small crew I actually get to know them all.  So it has its upsides, and helps me curb some of my more aggressive tendencies thinking about making sure I get my crew home alive.”  Regina raised a finger at the barkeep.

A glass of something clear was placed in front of Regina, which she then took and drank in one go.

“Now that is not fair,” Jonathan complained.

“Seems we have something else to offer you in trade for your help.  Esme really is an engineering genius.  She still can’t give me a sense of taste, but she was able to fit me with a burner and figure out some software protocols that do a very good job of simulating intoxication.  Which I had to dig deep to remember from my source.  And other things.  Let’s just say I’m about as close to human as I can get in this remote, and I find it fascinating to experience it.”

“I’m still coming to grips with the lack of senses.  Touch is not what I remember.  Smell is non-existent.  Taste is gone as well.  Even sight and hearing seem off.”

“It’s a downside for sure.  But if Sybil and Murakami haven’t taught you how to hear the choir that is the natural emissions of local stellar bodies, or see the full spectrum and the sights beyond human vision, I’d be happy to.  In the interests of establishing good relations, of course.  And I suspect you may enjoy conversations with Mina Siegel and Luther Bedwyr too.”

“They’re like me aren’t they?  That’s the only reason I can fathom you’d mention them in this context.”

“Yes.  Luther in particular might be quite informative.  He and Sikh are intimate.”

John chuckled a bit at that.  “Preaching to the choir a bit on that one,” he said, holding up his left hand a bit to show off the wedding band.  “Sybil and I tied the knot back in 3082.  Things are a bit different these days, what with me uploading, but...” he trailed off, shrugging. 

“The AI contradiction.  Without the biological impulses, it’s less important.  But without the biological consequences and our different view of the universe, it's also something we’re not exactly shy about either.  And well, some of us have been curious.  Others have even fallen in love.”

“You fell in love with a human, didn’t you?”  Jonathan caught something in Regina’s tone.

“Yes.  The Captain of my crew.  I fell hard enough for him that I tried to scan and save him with an improvised aerospace pilot’s neuro helmet.  But he was too far gone, and now I have some of his memories and mannerisms.  I even catch myself using some of his sayings.”

“Well maybe once the Admiral works out a deal, I’ll trouble this ‘Esme’ of yours so I can get drunk again.  And then properly buy you a drink, so we can both drink a toast to your Captain.”

“Sounds like a plan.  For now, care to dance?  Looks like the live music is setting up.”

“Oh, I should be able to manage, and as an officer and gentleman, I do believe it is in my enlistment contract somewhere to oblige a pretty lady when asking me to dance.”  Jonathan smiled.

"They can't…

…leave you alone for a minute without you planning to steal another ship, can they?"  Bedwyr's avatar leaned into her quarters.

Amanda sighed.  "Eh, I guess…" she said listlessly.  "What're they saying?"

He came in and took her desk chair, propping his feet on the molded desk unit, regarding her with artificial eyes.  "You found a loophole to get Phoenix out of her sentence, and you used it."

"True."

"Some think you were planning to take her on a suicide run," he added.  "They're worried about you, Skip… hell, we've all been at least somewhat concerned after you lost Johnny.  Then you lost Larry…"

"Then you almost died too," she agreed.  "Yeah… I could see where someone might think that."

"I did die.  At least, the me that was born in the Conurb," he told her.  "The flesh-and-blood Luther Bedwyr, he died."

"Yet you're still here."

"I am.  And part of him is still me," he said seriously.  "That part thinks it wasn't a suicide run.  Maybe not the best plan you've had, but not a suicide run.  Taking a sword into a gunfight? Now that was a suicide run."

"It worked," she said tiredly.  "Mostly, anyway."

"Mostly worked.  You're on patient status, and your medical providers are having kittens.  Big angry ones, because you keep tearing up their careful work," he told her.  "So something’s eating you, because you're smarter than that."

She rolled over on her side in the low gravity bed.  "It stopped being fun," she told him.  "It stopped being fun when I was blowing up those jumpships.  It stopped being fun when my friends kept dying.  It's turned real... and it's real bad.  I'm not sure I'm actually any good at any of this."

"It's a war, Amanda," he told her.  "People in wars get killed.  Or die, all the time.  I seem to recall you rendering quite a few men into the past-tense… So something's wrong now, that wasn't wrong when you were butterchurning Ananiel on the Erinyes."

She sat up, "I keep screwing it up Luther!  We almost got caught by a frikking Baron class!  I stuck around too long in that system.  I let them figure me out.  The Sabotuer?  I slept with him the night before!"

He snapped his fingers.  "It's not that it isn't fun anymore, it's that you think you've lost your magic!" he announced.  "You don't think you succeeded on anything real.  You think you were lucky, and some minor setbacks are nature's way of telling you you've used it up!!"

"Yeah."  She dropped gently back onto her pillow.  "Everything that came before was luck, was happenstance.  Was God smiling on me, and now?"  She reclined back.  "Now, I'm starting to think God wants me to stop.  And if I don't, he's going to sap the luck from all my friends and I'll have to see them all die from my mistakes… But I can't let it paralyze me, or that threat is even MORE real."

He reached over, and tapped her forehead.  "It was never luck," he told her.  "It wasn't happenstance, or fate, or God.  It was always on you, and you did it.  Hell, you did something practically impossible, getting Phoenix freed.  Nobody else who knew what you knew, would do what you did."

"But was it the right thing?" she asked him.  "Was it the right thing, or was I rolling the dice hoping to get my mojo back?"

"One of the things that impressed me when I first joined up with you, Captain," he said, swinging his legs around and putting his feet to the floor.  "Was that you didn't dare because it was glorious.  I remember you spending hours, even days, disarming neck-collars on Devil's Breath.  It was magical, to see that.  Seeing you fretting and sweating and biting your lip where another officer, someone from an academy would just be driving the corpsmen to do it and fretting in an office far away.  But you put your hand to the work, all the time knowing you could slip up, and kill someone, but you didn't slip up."

"I had help," she said.

"I know, but that help didn't come with the willingness to try-that's the part that came from you.  You dared, because you care.  You're feeling shitty now, because you care.  But you were about to dare it again, and you will the next time too.  It's in you, it's who you are, and it's the real secret.  This whole thing we're a part of, is because you were the someone who stepped up, and lo and behold, we all followed.  Even the guys put in front to lead you."

"What if I screw it up again??"

"That's why we're here, Captain, because you led us.  But we did our part, too.  Larry once told you the toughest part of being an officer is setting the example, then following it.  Remember that?"

"Yeah… I didn't set-"

"Didn't you?  Look where we are now.  You took actions, which inspired actions, which inspired more actions.  And most of the time, you've gotten it at least mostly right by listening to the people around you, and making your decisions.  I can think of worse examples to follow, and worse commanders to serve."

"You're going somewhere with this."

"I want the rest of your operational plan for what you and Phoenix were doing.  We're looking at carrying it out.  But I know you only write down about a third of what you're really thinking."

"It's a set of deep-raids.  Hitting their shipyards and fueling docks.  Storm-and-board where it's possible," she confessed.  "I estimated a two month turnaround.  That needs six months of consumables because we'd be going out over-manned to deploy prize crews.  I figured out what I think is their pattern for convoy ops, and what I'm pretty sure has to be their wartime maintenance schedules."

"Mind drawing it out for me?" he asked.  "I mean, I'm not Dave Foster or Larry Nichols, but I'm available, and I want to listen."

She sat up, and motioned for a tablet comp.  "It's based on what we observed during the six month deep raid…"

"It is a good plan…

…simpler than her first try at a grand strategy," Admiral David Foster said, standing in the concourse of Dock 17 of Port Orphan after twelve weeks of long-range cruising.  "It actually works really well for supporting the fall and winter offensives… Now, where is the owner of the three Aggies parked in the system, and the new station being constructed?"

"Admiral Murakami is waiting in Briefing nine, sir," Esme said.  "Patiently, even… is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"Did Kerensky really send the Montbatten after her right before Exodus?" she inquired.

"Ask a Goliath Scorpion.  I don't have the answer for that," he said, striding back onto his station.  "How's Roberts?"

"Grinding her teeth and fretting about details for Operation: Medway."

"She didn't name it?"

"No sir, the name was suggested by Billie Hoel, and Mina agreed it was better than what she wanted to call it."

"What did she WANT to call it?"

"Barbary Three."

Foster chuckled.  "Another pirate name…figures."  He looked around the docks.  "It is good to be home.  How is Alice?"

"Recovering," Esme stated.  "Admiral Murakami has done wonders for helping her regain her memories and resume her duties."

"Speaking of duties… is Roberts fit yet?"

"She's still clashing with the medical staff.  Her last physical was, at least, promising…"

He muttered something.

"What was that, sir?"

"Did she really legally steal one of Helena's ships?" he demanded.

"Technically, Helena consented to the transfer as 'war aid'.  She DID legally recruit one of Helena's AI's.  Though we're chalking that one up to Minister Representative Daryl Roberts for the official report, since he handled the swearing in and questioned the hell out of Phoenix when he did."

"Well, that is one more.  Is Phoenix ready?"

"Aside from fueling and final load outs?  Yes."

"Good.  Keep with the preparation, Captain Gomez.  I am going to see if we can pry a couple of those Aggies to help with High Jump… Just one question."

"What's that?"

"Is Roberts' medical record being edited by the command staff to keep her from running out without a good plan and backup?"

"Officially, no."

"Unofficially?"

"Doctor Oakes has agreed to… be extremely cautious until you've arrived, sir," she said.  "It didn't take much to convince him that he needed to judge her physicals very conservatively."

"How soon can you get the flight surgeons to turn her loose?"

She inclined her head.  "You're not going sir?"  The elevator closed, sealing them from the dock, and began to rise.

"I'm going… in the Larry Nichols as my Flagship," he told her.  "Unless Roberts is truly unfit, we need her on the Evanescent as soon as it's practical to put her there… Alice?"

"Yes, Admiral Foster?" Alice's voice responded.  "What can I help you with, sir?"

"On my mark, cease recording from all non-safety monitors in this elevator, including audio, visual, vibratory and Electromagnetics inside this elevator.  Continue it for five minutes, then splice the record to show Captain Gomez and myself chatting idly about Roberts and her medical, to include overwriting this order.  Do you understand?"

"I do, sir."

"Mark."

"You might talk to Billie Hoel about that one, sir, before you finalize it," Esme said.

He nodded, "I get the feeling I will have to.  The jump-off for Operation Pastel Cyclone is four weeks away.  We need to be out there before then."

"That wasn't transmitted."

"No, it wasn't," he confirmed.  "You and Alice are hearing it from me, and it's not to go out on HPG under any circumstances.  Which is why I need to sweet-talk Noriko Murakami.  The forces are mustered and arrayed.  We're invading them starting four weeks from today."

It takes time…

…to muster the invasion of a nation.  Especially on the interstellar scale.  Moving armies, and maintaining secrets while doing so, requires time, focus, effort and no small amount of intelligence work, including counterintelligence.

Mobilization is a tricky thing, over interstellar distances, especially when you also have to maintain defenses locally.  And the war you're about to fight is far outside the reach of your otherwise most-at-risk border.

Chains of JumpShips from Alshain, to Tamar, from Wotan and Sudeten, from New Avalon and Luthien and Terra itself, converging on a periphery state to funnel materiel and manpower in an effort the scale of which has not been seen since Operation: Scour. 

At the meeting points, units have to be partnered with units that have no long-standing feuds or rivalries.  Because the allied nations of the Republic Coalition are only allied to the Republic, and the Alliance.  And the latter, only for the duration of this war.

For a time, in the rest of the Inner Sphere, something very like 'peace' is happening, partly because of this…

But that peace isn't going to last past the fall of the Sons of Plunder and everyone tacitly acknowledges this. (And nobody is about to admit that suspicion in public!)

Devlin Stone is holding this coalition together by sheer force of personality and legend.

Undoubtedly, the seeds of the next war, or series of wars, are being laid.

The Raven Alliance formally declared war against the Sons of Plunder's false Star League over  three years ago.  The fighting that led to that can be traced back to an incident over Hala five years ago.

So, for five years, this has been building.  It takes time at these scales, for anything to truly happen. 

But it's also true that a hell of a lot can happen in wartime.  Bonds form and sever, lifelong friendships can forge from tragedy.  A morning can define a life, or end it.

From the perspective of historians, or beings for whom the passage of time is muted by the sheer amount of it, this war is an eyeblink.  A collection of skirmishes that in the era of the Star League would have barely merited a single page of a minor history.  Fought in a backwater by forces that collectively are little more than a colonial reserve.

Or maybe not.

Like all wars, this war has many more than a single front…

To Be Continued
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #247 on: 28 June 2023, 09:26:24 »
oh my.

If that isn't a series ending cliff hanger, I don't know what is.  I mean, there could easily be more that gives a brief of what happened as an epilogue and there might be a new 'season' to bring it to light.  But that was good right there.

It is also really sad how I almost stop everything I'm doing to read this ... I could leave to my next errand 20m early, but I could also leave with 1 min to spare and still make it-ish.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #248 on: 28 June 2023, 11:24:25 »
But wait, there's more!

Like a lot more.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #249 on: 28 June 2023, 11:46:40 »
From the perspective of historians, or beings for whom the passage of time is muted by the sheer amount of it, this war is an eyeblink.  A collection of skirmishes that in the era of the Star League would have barely merited a single page of a minor history.  Fought in a backwater by forces that collectively are little more than a colonial reserve.

Why do I get the feeling this will go down in history as "The Tuesday War"?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #250 on: 28 June 2023, 12:50:18 »
Okay this is how I should have done my last post:

Strategos Concludes!!  It thrills, it chills, it makes thousands of razor blades( of varying degrees of radioactivity) in seconds!

But wait! There's more!

Act now and it can all be yours, free!

We'll even throw in the final campaign!  For free!  No shipping, no handling!  All absolutely free!

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #251 on: 28 June 2023, 13:09:58 »
Okay this is how I should have done my last post:

Strategos Concludes!!  It thrills, it chills, it makes thousands of razor blades( of varying degrees of radioactivity) in seconds!

But wait! There's more!

Act now and it can all be yours, free!

We'll even throw in the final campaign!  For free!  No shipping, no handling!  All absolutely free!

*throws money at the screen* TAKE MY MONE-Y ... (obviously not bothering to read or listen to everything)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #252 on: 28 June 2023, 13:20:37 »
wait a second more then 1 front in this War???

So where is the Sons of Plunder opening a 2nd front or have they found "former" WOB allies.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #253 on: 28 June 2023, 13:53:27 »
They've struck at CGB and Lyran (iirc) shipping lanes ... Oh and took down a CGS seeker unit.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #254 on: 28 June 2023, 14:40:20 »
They've struck at CGB and Lyran (iirc) shipping lanes ... Oh and took down a CGS seeker unit.
I thought those convoys were in the area of the OWA..

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #255 on: 28 June 2023, 14:55:34 »
On their way there.  There's a pesky little ting called the Draconis Combine in the way.  Yes they have enlightened self interest to have a strong and stable OWA on their border but they also have a vested interest in not making it too easy or it being too strong and stable.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #256 on: 28 June 2023, 18:23:54 »
Just to double stamp what Monbvol said... the team is close to 1,000 pages of text so far, and I see no end in sight yet...  ^-^

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #257 on: 28 June 2023, 19:17:47 »
On their way there.  There's a pesky little ting called the Draconis Combine in the way.  Yes they have enlightened self interest to have a strong and stable OWA on their border but they also have a vested interest in not making it too easy or it being too strong and stable.
I said area of OWA, and I'm not surprised the SoP did raiding in the DC/FS area near the OWA..  To be honest I expect a # of the pirates in the area were SoP black operations.  I'm more wondering if they still have contact with WOB remains and if the Republic knew they were plugged into the HPG or not, or if that data was kept hidden from the government by Comstar ROM service.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #258 on: 28 June 2023, 19:34:15 »
All I can say to that idea is: just wait!  :D

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #259 on: 28 June 2023, 21:40:35 »
Just to double stamp what Monbvol said... the team is close to 1,000 pages of text so far, and I see no end in sight yet...  ^-^

So "concludes" is not quite accurate, but blows GRRM out of the water for conclusions!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #260 on: 28 June 2023, 22:56:23 »
So "concludes" is not quite accurate, but blows GRRM out of the water for conclusions!

No, no it's not accurate.  We've almost got 400 pages just in the current google doc we're working in.  Now true some of that covers the later parts of Part 3.  And we haven't even gotten to the showdown with Katrin yet.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 29 June 2023, 06:32:21 »
I should have quoted The Princess Bride instead ...

Currently we're at "mostly dead" and have not reached the end of the movie yet!  Yer goin' down Humperdink!

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #262 on: 29 June 2023, 08:26:19 »
Do you Know Me?

Six Months ago.

“The mission is simple, but that does not make it easy.  We have successfully identified our priority target, received supplemental psychological profile analysis, and where she is thus weakest.”

A projector displayed a picture of Amanda Roberts on the wall of the briefing room.

“You all know who this is by now.  Conventional traps haven’t been able to secure or eliminate her.  So we’re trying a different way.  This is her brother, Daryl Roberts.  Latest information has him taking a political office for Sevon V.  So we should expect him to have some sort of security detail, and spending much of his time on Alpheratz.  These are his children, his mother, and his wife.  Amanda Roberts has another brother, but we do not believe Jeffrey to be on Sevon V in a realistic time frame.”  The projector switched images with each prompt.

The image changed again to a satellite view of the Roberts family farm.

“This is the family’s primary residence.  As you can see, it’s quite close to an enemy militia base.  We will be stealth inserting Alpha and Beta teams.  Alpha team, your mission is simple.  Secure as much of the Roberts family as you can, emphasis on Daryl’s children.  They’ll be our bait, and leverage to draw Amanda Roberts into a trap that will finally capture or kill her.  Let me be clear: while it’s preferable to capture Amanda Roberts to prevent her becoming a martyr, the only people considered critical to keep alive in this operation is Daryl Roberts’ children, and only until the Roberts girl has been captured or killed.  After that, if possible, their inclusion into a proper training program and gifting to a suitable house is considered sufficiently desirable to not kill them needlessly.  If Daryl Roberts or Jeffery Roberts happen to appear for a visit home, secure them as well.  Your hostages should ensure you have a clear ride out, and the trap for Amanda Roberts will be set.”

The image switched to the militia base.

“Beta team, you know what is being asked of you, and thus why you’ve been supplemented with carefully selected members from other Commando teams.  When the time comes, you’ll launch a diversionary raid on the militia base to ensure they cannot respond to Alpha team’s operation and departure.  With the reallocation of the M5s to different areas of operation, we’re confident there will be a more than sufficient window where major naval opposition will not be present, and thus all that is needed is delaying the garrison for as long as possible.”

The projector switched to the Cameron Star and Sons of Plunder logo with crossed black tridents added behind it.

“Alpha team, we’re giving you the best stealth suits we can.  Surprise and speed will be essential to your mission, so full Battle Armor would be ill-advised.  Beta team, we cannot equip you with more than a Lance of mechs and still achieve stealth insertion, so to supplement your forces we are also allocating some of our limited supply of Purifier battle armor adapted for these sorts of missions.  Gentlemen and ladies, give ‘em hell, and good hunting.”

Operation: Cross Guard

Maps: Something that has an airstrip and Dropship landing ports and nearby buildings in one corner(recommended a 2x2 setup) with the other three maps should be fairly open with very little if any terrain at all(it is a militia airbase)

Attacker: Beta Team, Special Operations Command Commando Team

4*EXT-6CS Exterminators-Elite Fanatical
4*squads of 6 Purifier Battlearmor(24 total) modified with magnetic clamps for mechanization-Elite Fanatical

Objectives:
Get to enemy hangers and grounded Dropships, disable or destroy as many Aerospace fighters, Small Craft, and Dropships as possible
Keep the fight going as long as possible to give Alpha team the best chance of getting away with their hostages

Defenders:

Mixed Trinary
1 Star mechs
-MLN-1C Merlin-Veteran Fanatical
-Shadow Hawk C-Regular Reliable
-Clint IIC-Regular Reliable
-Dasher II-Regular Reliable
-Goshawk 3-Regular Reliable
1 Star Elemental Battle Armor-Veteran Fanatical
1 Aerostar(10 Tyre ASFs)-Veteran Fanatical
1 Mixed Vehicle Star(6 Hachiman AAA, 4 Ares)-Regular Reliable
2 Sassinid Dropships

Objectives:
Destroy Beta team in as few turns as possible

Special rules:
Defender must designate 1 hanger each for Aerospace and Battlearmor and an additional 5 hangers for the Small Craft, all Aerospace(including Small Craft) units and Battle Armor deploy adjacent to their hangers.  Aerospace hangers should be adjacent to the designated airstrip, or reasonably close by. Defender vehicles are deployed around the air strip.
The Aero star starts the scenario grounded and can be made ready for take off and combat operations starting turn 6
Beta team will not withdraw under any circumstances and will fight to the last unit

Dropships should be placed/marked around the airfield and will be in a semi-ready state.  Weapons will come online after turn 6, engines for Small Craft after turn 12 but Dropships will be grounded for the duration of the fight

Attacker may not deploy on the same map as the militia base/airfield but has first choice of deployment edge, defender automatically deploys their mechs to the opposite edge(this is to represent the surprise advantage that the Chameleon LPS, NullSig, and Mimetic armor give Beta team)

Defender may deploy their Elementals at the start of their turn on any turn starting in the second round.

Defender is operating under standard forced withdrawal rules.

Optional:
Reinforcements!
Starting turn 12 defender may deploy an additional Elemental Battle Armor point from the designated hanger, and do so again turn 36 and one more time on turn 60 if the game goes on that long

Night attack!
Apply the rules for fighting at night from Tac Ops.

Present day

The targets had moved to another Roberts house and it was difficult to get close enough to observe without being detected.  And based off the luggage they carried inside they were intending to stay a few days.

“Warrant Officer Nune, that ground vehicle of theirs… You think you could hotwire it?” Captain Michael Skorzeny said quietly to the woman on his left in a stealth suit.

“Should be no problem, sir.”

“Then the recon is a wrap.  Time to plan this thing.”  He was keeping something else he’d observed underwraps that he knew Nune hadn’t put together yet.

The two carefully stalked back to their base.  There had been no signs of particularly sophisticated detection devices.  But on an operation such as this, it was really the less sophisticated ones that were the main worry.

Keeping such a large force concealed from the local garrison and their patrol flights was no easy task these past few days either.  But they needed those couple of days to recover from coasting in as long as they had for their stealth insertion.

“Confirmed we have the mother, the father, sister-in-law, the children, and two guests at the in laws.  Not where we studied but this should make it a little easier.  No intel on one of the guests.”  He produced a PADD with a picture of Maori he’d taken earlier in the day.

“She’s not on our list, so she goes in the ground.  We’re already going to be crowding the ground vehicle we observed.”

He flicked the PADD to another picture.

“This one is another target of opportunity.  That’s right, history majors, we got a real bonus prize.  If we can nab her too, we’ll be getting all sorts of shinies and landholds.  Not to mention never paying for our drinks ever again.”

He let the laughter of his Commandos settle down.

“For the non-history majors, that’s Elizabeth Cameron.”

He saw the recognition wash over the faces of a few of his Commandos.

“With this many people to secure, we’ll time our attack on the house for shortly after dusk tomorrow night so we can also have the cover of night on our extract.”

Natalie…

…was working in the kitchen humming quietly.

The children were playing with Jane as Samantha was taking her evening bath.
Maori was monitoring Amanda’s father, checking his vitals.

He was gently rocking in his chair staring off into nothingness.

Maori suddenly stood up.

“Jane, take the kids to the cellar.  Natalie, dinner is going to have to wait.”  Maori started moving her head back and forth.

“What’s going on Maori?” Natalie asked.

“The proximity sensors I placed outside are sending contact reports,” Maori answered.

Samantha came out of the bathroom fully clothed but with wet hair, sensing the commotion.

“Sure it isn’t a wild animal?” Natalie pleaded.

“Definitely not,” Maori said as a grenade came in through the front window.

Instead of shrapnel and explosives the grenade emitted a loud noise and a bright flash.

Four figures stormed into the main room, weapons leveled.

Maori was already down on the ground behind the couch.

Natalie shrieked as she collapsed.

<Alert condition one.  Roberts homestead under attack by stealth suit equipped commandos.  Count 4 for sure,> Maori sent to the nearby militia base.

<We’re under attack as well.  Help is at best 5 minutes away.>

<Acknowledged.  I’ll buy you as much time as possible, then.>

One of the attackers was over Natalie, another moving toward Samantha as she was still recovering, and one was moving to her.

Samantha started struggling with her attacker as they were trying to secure her.

“Children?”  A male voice demanded of Natalie.

“B..b..ba…base…basement…” Natalie panted out.

The Commando standing over Maori clearly bought Maori’s playing opossum.

She snapped their shin with a short sharp kick.

Bounding up on her feet, Maori crossed the main room and smashed the commando standing over Natalie into the refrigerator, the door bending in ever so slightly under the impact of their combined body weights.

Maori moved to help Samantha when a fifth attacker entered the main room.  As Maori pulled the Commando off Samantha, tossing him across the room the new attacker leveled their weapon not at Maori but at Samantha.

Maori had no choice but to put her remote between the new attacker and Samantha.

Her remote was tough, but not tough enough to withstand a launched micro grenade with a burst of laser fire.

Samantha took only minor cuts from splinters.

“My earring.  Take it,” Maori said as her remote collapsed.

Samantha grabbed Maori’s earring and hid it before the Commando crossed the room.

“Get up Bushavov.  You’re a smart woman, Samantha Roberts.  Your protector is well dead.  Huh.  Machine person.  Should’ve figured.  Your guest and your children are cornered, we can just roll down some flashbangs and tear gas and secure them at our leisure.  So time to stop resisting.”  The commando standing over her was clearly their leader.

A sixth commando came into the main room and began checking the two downed Commandos, then Natalie and Amanda’s father.

“The parents are dead, sir.  Hong has some busted ribs.  Massa has a shattered shin.  They’re ****** and not going anywhere fast,” the feminine voice from the new arrival said.

“Make them functional.  They can hold here to further delay militia response.  Call in Nune as well.  We need to roll some flashbangs and tear gas into the basement.”

The one identified as Bushavov staggered over and bound Samantha who just stared at the leader silently, eyes full of rage.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #263 on: 29 June 2023, 08:32:08 »
The momentum is building up, it feels like big shoe is about to drop is coming

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #264 on: 29 June 2023, 09:33:29 »
something tells me that their exfiltration is going to be tough, given there is an M5 caspar in orbit that now knows they are there..

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #265 on: 29 June 2023, 10:31:11 »
You understand how hard it is to disable a small shuttle or Dropship with Capital Weapons, right?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #266 on: 29 June 2023, 10:43:09 »
Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Death_from_above

• Lieutenant
« Reply #267 on: 29 June 2023, 10:50:15 »

No matter what the final outcome of the SOP's raid, it's going to galvanize public opinion with regards to the war.

Killing an invalid (Amanda's father), kidnapping (attempted so far..) children. I can see those (political) parties dragging their heels/still unconvinced, now become full supporters of the actions required.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #268 on: 29 June 2023, 11:04:03 »
Problem is that the means leave system is key to stop these guys from getting away.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #269 on: 29 June 2023, 11:08:44 »
No matter what the final outcome of the SOP's raid, it's going to galvanize public opinion with regards to the war.

Killing an invalid (Amanda's father), kidnapping (attempted so far..) children. I can see those (political) parties dragging their heels/still unconvinced, now become full supporters of the actions required.

Waving a bloody shirt is an effective motivator, but it sucks to be the owner of the shirt.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Register