Author Topic: Motivational - The Return  (Read 254604 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Motivational - The Return
« Reply #270 on: 29 March 2013, 12:21:26 »
More...
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #271 on: 29 March 2013, 18:49:27 »
I could not help it...

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
« Reply #272 on: 29 March 2013, 20:09:31 »
Inspired by last:
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #273 on: 07 April 2013, 15:37:14 »
The first thing I thought when I saw this cover. Serious.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #274 on: 07 April 2013, 21:05:15 »
Yes, this was found in the ISF...no mentioning in the text...(i could find)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #275 on: 07 April 2013, 21:44:04 »
One for the road, hopefully its amusing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #276 on: 07 April 2013, 22:25:30 »
Ok, ok, I'll knock it off for the day.

+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #277 on: 08 April 2013, 02:39:03 »
I said the same thing about the Jade Falcons ;D
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #278 on: 08 April 2013, 09:05:22 »
LOL
"AToW Companion:
The genetics stuff was for the humans.
The creature create rules were in another chapter.
How did you manage to combine them?!"
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #279 on: 08 April 2013, 10:37:10 »

"How many times do i have to kill these cretins?" - Moriarty, the League of Extraordinary gentlemen

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Motivational - The Return
« Reply #280 on: 08 April 2013, 13:28:56 »
To quote The Joker, "You're harder to kill than a cockroach on steroids!"
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #281 on: 08 April 2013, 16:22:28 »

Um, believe it has something to do with the ISF training program. Trainees are dropped on the training planet with basically a rock and a stick and are expected to survive unaided. The forests of said planet are inhabited by those things in the picture.

Not sure of the source. Intelligence Operations perhaps? Sorry.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #282 on: 08 April 2013, 16:54:33 »
No I believe old Kurita book, I really want to say New Sarmakand Ape...

Protects the ISF HQ located in a jungle region from ground attacks, AAA shots down anything and the " locals " deal with the intruders.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #283 on: 08 April 2013, 17:19:57 »
Yeah... sounds about right

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #284 on: 08 April 2013, 21:18:41 »
Um, believe it has something to do with the ISF training program. Trainees are dropped on the training planet with basically a rock and a stick and are expected to survive unaided. The forests of said planet are inhabited by those things in the picture.

Not sure of the source. Intelligence Operations perhaps? Sorry.

Yes, thats book i got it from the old Intelligence Operation book.  I admittively was skimming it little, having not read it in while.  but i didn't catch that part with training...

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #285 on: 13 April 2013, 02:39:44 »
What book is

from, that looks like a Thera class carrier but i've never seen that pic before.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #286 on: 13 April 2013, 07:11:50 »
What book is from, that looks like a Thera class carrier but i've never seen that pic before.
Handbook: House Marik

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #287 on: 13 April 2013, 07:20:20 »
I tried make this amusing, but i was having trouble. What you folks think?

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #288 on: 13 April 2013, 09:30:48 »
I tried make this amusing, but i was having trouble. What you folks think?

Solarius VII: we're not just Space Reno- we're also Space Detroit!
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #289 on: 13 April 2013, 09:53:55 »
WELCOME TO SPACE-NEWARK

+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #290 on: 13 April 2013, 11:42:50 »
WELCOME TO SPACE-NEWARK

Hey! Newark is a lot nicer than that. OK, I'm lying that's pretty close. Not as bad as Camden is, but close.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #291 on: 13 April 2013, 12:52:51 »
having lived in Las Vegas, i have no problem accepting that beyond the boundaries of the glitz and neon is a normal city.. my family used to have to drive through seedier sections of town like that pic (except for building height) all the time.

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #292 on: 13 April 2013, 15:06:57 »
Solaris is in the Isle of Skye (one of the many Space Scotlands) and it resembles New Jersey?  Then according to Torchwood:Miracle Day it would be Space Wales.
Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Motivational - The Return
« Reply #293 on: 15 April 2013, 11:43:30 »
If this doesn't motivate you, then you're a little dead inside:

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #294 on: 27 April 2013, 02:06:16 »
That Steiner orbital drop picture (that I believe comes come up twice), what model of Atlas is used?

The ISF thing? Mendrugo covered something that matches it in his AoW reviews IIRC

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #295 on: 27 April 2013, 12:29:56 »
That Steiner orbital drop picture (that I believe comes come up twice), what model of Atlas is used?

The ISF thing? Mendrugo covered something that matches it in his AoW reviews IIRC

It's a Pesht predator ape.  The creatures wiped out early attempts to colonize Pesht, but the Kuritas prevailed where the Ozawa Mercantile Association failed, and nearly exterminated the beasts in short order.  The small remaining popuation lives in the forest belt surrounding ISF HQ on Pesht, providing supplemental security.

In "Fall Down Seven Times, Stand Up Eight" an ISF aspirant on New Samarkand has to fight one with a spear.  It's implied that the critter was imported from offworld just for the test.  Nothing's mentioned in modern info about the ISF training procedures about "death by monkey" initiation rituals, so that practice might have been scrapped at some point.  It might just have been a Von Rohrs thing.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #296 on: 27 April 2013, 20:20:09 »
Digging deep for some interesting pics.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #297 on: 02 May 2013, 12:08:21 »
No I believe old Kurita book, I really want to say New Sarmakand Ape...

Protects the ISF HQ located in a jungle region from ground attacks, AAA shots down anything and the " locals " deal with the intruders.

TT
There's also metal eating sand around the HQ.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #298 on: 02 May 2013, 12:10:23 »
It's a Pesht predator ape.  The creatures wiped out early attempts to colonize Pesht, but the Kuritas prevailed where the Ozawa Mercantile Association failed, and nearly exterminated the beasts in short order.  The small remaining popuation lives in the forest belt surrounding ISF HQ on Pesht, providing supplemental security.

In "Fall Down Seven Times, Stand Up Eight" an ISF aspirant on New Samarkand has to fight one with a spear.  It's implied that the critter was imported from offworld just for the test.  Nothing's mentioned in modern info about the ISF training procedures about "death by monkey" initiation rituals, so that practice might have been scrapped at some point.  It might just have been a Von Rohrs thing.

House Book Kurtia says they are New Samarkand Apes around the ISF HQ on New Samarkand
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #299 on: 02 May 2013, 15:53:19 »
House Book Kurtia says they are New Samarkand Apes around the ISF HQ on New Samarkand

P. 180 of the House Kurita SB describes the ape creatures of Pesht, and that House Kurita drove them to the brink of extinction within ten years of settling the planet.

"Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight," p. 6 (set on New Samarkand in the "D Forest"):  "Five years of relentless training in college and it all came down to a fight in the dark with a horror rumored to have been imported from another world?"

Intelligence Operations Handbook, p. 61, says that the Internal Security College on New Samarkand is surrounded by a sixty-kilometer circle of diacetylsilicate and anti-aircraft batteries, but make no mention of simian guards there.  ISF HQ on New Samarkand is a massive bunker (four square kilometers) at the mouth of the heavily polluted Di-Sho Delta, but no mention is made of simian guards or sand fields.  Meanwhile, on Pesht, the DEST Tactical Command Center is hidden deep within Pesht's forests, where "DEST commander saved the population of ferocious simian predators that originally inhabited the planet from extinction, encouraging their breeding behavior to further discourage intruders."

I think Randall wanted to use the Pesht predator apes in his story about the ISF, but at that point in Combine history when his story was set (it's one of the earliest BattleTech stories) DEST didn't exist yet, so there couldn't be a scene set in the woods on Pesht.  So, to use the critter anyways, he wrote it as imported to New Samarkand from offworld.

I can't find the reference to the apes being on New Samarkand - can you tell me what page it was on?
« Last Edit: 02 May 2013, 19:39:23 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.