Author Topic: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps  (Read 15668 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2017, 16:26:55 »
Not explicitly named "Chinatown," this strip nonetheless features Ho's Laundry Mat and Chin's Bicycles.  With abandoned buildings, a vacant lot, and a hock shop, this screams "pending gentrification."  (Or the "Unproductive Quarter" in a Combine city.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #31 on: 18 October 2017, 16:31:27 »
The City Dispatch building would theoretically be a launching point for first responder teams (fire, medical, law enforcement).  It would be fun to have it as the starting point for the Vehicle Annex police dirigible. 

The split block is joined, across the alley, by the Bruce, Monson, and Fenner Buildings.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2017, 16:51:38 »
The Civic Museum features an interior parking lot where a 'Mech with jump jets could lurk in ambush - or even fire out over the one-story passage between the museum and the Calwell Art Annex. 

The fact that the Civic Museum is five stories tall makes it a possibility that the exhibits may include Primitive BattleMechs - maybe still in working order.  :)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2017, 16:54:54 »
Given that this was from a collaboration between TSR and Marvel, no surprise that comic and hobby shops are frequent tenants in the commercial space. 

We also have The Cavern dance club (Do the Moloid!), Coda Records Recording Studio, Visionary Graphics, the Juliette Dance Studio, and Jim's Fashions. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #34 on: 18 October 2017, 17:10:28 »
Not sure exactly to what extent the Knowles family was known in comics circles in 1988 (pre-AintItCool News/Harry Knowles), but one might suspect that Knowles Information Services is a shout-out.

It's joined by Weinlein's Books (probably a shout-out to Len Wein, co-creator of Wolverine who...wow...died just last month), Keliher's Apartments, a Community Medical Center, and the Cunningham Day-Care Facility (We sit yer kids down in front of the TV and show them looped reruns of Happy Days.  Trust me, they love it.  Ayyyyyyyyy!  Sit on it, Potsie!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2017, 17:15:49 »
This is the big Magilla - my minis didn't have much use for Terra's United Nations building, but the attached grounds and the big disc in the parking lot (originally a fountain, repainted as an HPG transmitter) just screamed ComStar Compound. 

First, we have the park ground to the west, with monuments to Jerome Blake and Conrad Toyama.  (The whole compound is too large to post all at once)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2017, 17:22:06 »
And now the public portion of the compound, with a large main building for customers.  (File size limits...)

Rather than one door for each Great House, it has 10 - perhaps they're double doors, or the other five are for the general, non-aligned public.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2017, 17:23:53 »
And finally, the core of the compound, the HPG dish, along with offices.  The main machinery of the HPG would be buried underground, running the length of the compound.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2017, 17:28:30 »
This construction site was somewhat lazily drawn (the girders were dirt brown to avoid adding extra coloring costs - TSR was in heavy cost-cutting mode when the "Webs" box came out), so I touched it up where I could. 

The girder grid would be a fun playground for battle armor.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #39 on: 18 October 2017, 17:31:06 »
Back to the slums, this low-rent residential strip includes Mabel's Abandoned Boarding House, Joe's Garage, and Crum Apartments.  When you want quality, you want Crum. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #40 on: 18 October 2017, 17:33:48 »
Dobson Plaza is definitely uptown, pairing the Dobson Ltd. office building with Spartan Bank and the Le Grand Domain hotel.

Amusingly, there's a tiny "TM" mark by the "Insti-Teller" banking machine label.  This must have been before "ATM" caught on.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #41 on: 18 October 2017, 17:37:28 »
This two-block long, half-block deep industrial strip was situated on the riverfront.  It includes Keeler and Thompson, Peoria Plate Glass Co., and DocTech Labs (an Objective Raid target if I ever heard one, in a LosTech universe).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #42 on: 18 October 2017, 17:39:47 »
The map bundled with the Secret Wars II supplement was an attempt to showcase blocks with more of a West Coast, low-rise, Hollywood feel. 

Thus, we have Empire Broadcasting joined by Yogurt Top Health Foods, the Hair Boutique, and Angel Inc.  (Along with the Tailory and Alphonse's Fine Liquors).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #43 on: 18 October 2017, 17:42:16 »
The Empire State Building - all 102 stories of it.  Now all we need is to get a Mandrill totem 'Mech up there battling AeroSpace Fighters...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #44 on: 18 October 2017, 17:44:27 »
Lincoln Avenue gets ritzier as it moves northeast, passing the Fibre Building and the Stone Building.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #45 on: 18 October 2017, 17:54:20 »
*snip*
It's joined by Weinlein's Books (probably a shout-out to Len Wein, co-creator of Wolverine who...wow...died just last month)
*snip*
It sounds like more of a shout out to Heinlein to me... Perhaps a portmanteau of both?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #46 on: 18 October 2017, 17:59:04 »
The First National Bank is in a shady part of town, rubbing shoulders with Bail Bonds and a Pawnshop.  There's also a Savings and Loan, a Currency Exchange (Yuan for Escudo!  Eagles for Pounds!), and the law offices of Hanson and Sons. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #47 on: 18 October 2017, 17:59:57 »
It sounds like more of a shout out to Heinlein to me... Perhaps a portmanteau of both?

Certainly could be the case.  The Len Wein connection came to me since this was a Marvel product of the 80s, and he was a major creative force there from the mid-70s.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #48 on: 18 October 2017, 18:04:31 »
Crime central for Marvel's New York, the Fisk Building is where Wilson Fisk, the Kingpin of Crime, makes his lair.  His neighbors aren't much better - as previously noted the Brand Corporation has its fingers in all sorts of destructo rays and other mad/corporate science origin-story-fodder. 

Given the company they keep, the El Fernando building is probably up to no good as well.  (Secret lair of...El Seed! And his rooftop garden...of doom!)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #49 on: 18 October 2017, 18:07:56 »
Meanwhile, over in the bad part of town, amidst abandoned liquor stores and Monty's Groceries (get a Haul every time!), we find the innocuous Fisk Spices Warehouse.  As well we know, Wilson Fisk is nothing more than a upstanding member of the legitimate businessman's club, and an importer of spices.

Probably a good spot for your AToW characters to go looking for QwikStim or Spazz.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #50 on: 18 October 2017, 18:12:49 »
Four Freedoms Plaza is, of course, the HQ of the Fantastic Four.  I painted out the giant "4"s on the upper slopes of the building, leaving a towering spire that comes to a 53-story point - suitable for any high-tech BattleTech city. 

Especially in certain portions of the Nebula California...

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #51 on: 18 October 2017, 18:15:23 »
The Gaston building anchors a small commercial block along with Olson's Five & Dime.  Smaller neighbors include Rosenstein's Fine Jewels, Schweinenger's Furs, the Trende Shoppe, 8th Avenue Bakery, Second-Hand Memories (a pawn shop), and Angelino's Restaurant (possibly a Three's Company reference, since that's where Jack Tripper/John Ritter worked).

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #52 on: 18 October 2017, 18:21:27 »
The General Dynamics Building seems quite appropriate.  The real world company is an aerospace/defense conglomerate.  Fitting to put it in a BattleTech city fight. 

(A tiny bit of Photoshoppery will turn it into BattleTech's General Mechanics firm, inventors of the Wasp)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #53 on: 18 October 2017, 18:24:45 »
The Globe Press factory was the central location in the Basic Set's included adventure "Day of the Octopus," in which Doc Ock unleashes a giant robot on the city.  Hmmmm....Octodroid vs. Spider BattleMech...

Across the alley, we've got Minski's Foods, Ace Handling, and the competing establishments of Jo-Jo's and Josie's.  That's a lotta Jo, right there.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #54 on: 18 October 2017, 18:32:42 »
Located just north of the other half of Buchanan Park, the Government Building would be a suitable government administrative HQ for a planetary regime.  Snipers on the 12-story roof would have a clear field of fire at any hostiles trying to come through the parkland.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2017, 18:40:23 »
Had to split Buchanan Park into two files.  Buchanan Park South abuts the Government Building, while Buchanan Fountain is on the north side.  While the other Buchanan park (across the street to the south of the Government Building) has lots of trees, this is a bare expanse of immaculately trimmed lawn.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #56 on: 18 October 2017, 18:40:46 »
Buchanan Fountain

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #57 on: 18 October 2017, 18:44:58 »
The Guthrie Mansion is nestled among luxury Windsor and Windsor II Townhouses, with the punnily-named On the Lamb restaurant nearby. 

("on the lam" is an archaic phrase that means on the run from the police.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #58 on: 18 October 2017, 18:47:23 »
A well known Korean restaurant in NYC, the Hahn Kook Palace shares space with high-rise towers, a bookstore, a Bible Society, and Hicks & Son in this mixed-use block.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #59 on: 18 October 2017, 18:51:08 »
Hammer Industries (owned by Iron Man comic nemesis and lame Iron Man 2 villain Justin Hammer) anchors this extra-long city block, sharing space with other villainous businesses - Muffin's Flower Botique, Valu-Mart Card Shop, and the Generic Fish Market.

Register