Author Topic: Eastwood Actual's VLOGs (IRL 3025 btech campaign)  (Read 973 times)

DevianID

• Captain
Eastwood Actual's VLOGs (IRL 3025 btech campaign)
« on: 07 February 2023, 03:17:38 »
**Week 1**
Howdy.  Eastwood Actual here—no that aint my name nor is it a real call sign I use for ops, it just sounds cool.  Bossman gave me a platform to express myself, since I dont interact much.  Said to treat it like a holovid interview.  That mans always looking for an angle, so I assume this'll be chopped and edited and uploaded over some epic cam footage for a future tri-vid series.  So im imagining you listening to this as you watch epic action scenes of me an my unit as we kick ass, or as some stock eulogy footage from my funeral plays followed with a PSA about the dangers of mercenary life.  Honestly he will sell anything to anyone if they got c-bills.

Figured Id start by describing the members of the unit I fight with.  Cant start by describing myself, thats too vain, and I prefer to be humble.  Dont go thinkin I have some deep insight into these people either, I just call it like I see it and I see no need to probe into petty details like 'why they are working here' or 'what they did before this'.  Hell, in battle Bossman insists on encrypted comms and untraceable call signs so half the time I dont know if its the same person in the mech next to me each mission.

First one that caught my eye is the Shadowhawk pilot.  Out of the cockpit most of Shadowhawk's features are obscured by a helmet... not the cool kind or the hidden identity kind.  The kind you have to wear when you have holes in your skull, and a bump will KILL you.  See it a lot on a certain kind of person.  Before we get to that, if you dont know many mechwarriors will shave their hair on the main contact points in the neuro helmet.  Now I dont ascribe to this, but hell if I have hair after the accident, so you cant trust me to provide an example.  But how the hell can hair interfere with a magnetic brain scanner, unless you wash your hair with iron sand?  Hogwash.  Still, mechwarriors besides myself are a superstitious lot, so if one person says shaving your hair gives you an edge in battle, then you can bet a donkey on tuesday that the new trendy haircut is gonna be a patched shaved mess on all the contact points with the left over hair styled in some flashy way; I think it looks like you lost a fight with sheep shears.  Anyway, the contact points on the heavy helmet DO rub a bit since these standard issue neurohelmets need direct scalp contact on account of the field strength being so low, to the point ive been known to treat myself to a spa scalp massage instead of the comfort of a lady after a long battle.  It rubs enough that you get people like this Shadowhawk pilot.  If you are the obsessive type, and pilot a mech A LOT, I mean constantly training, especially as a kid, well you can wear your skull down.  The constant pressure can dent a skull, and any bumps or falls knock right into the same spot each time to the point it can right kill you with all the pressure that swells up.  So these pilots tend to wear crap over their head out of the cockpit, to protect their sore spots and ease the swelling.  I hear the SLDF helmets didnt need direct contact, thus no rubbing and constant bumps directly to the brain, but I dont ascribe to that.  Aint no way you run a big army and give everyone some fancy high tech brain scanner... they was getting bumped up just as bad as us id wager, and half the stories of magic star league tech is just that, stories.

Bringing this back, well I reckon this shadowhawk pilot, whose elite as hell they say, must be middle aged and suffering from multiple concussions from a life lived more in a cockpit then outside.  This fool is downright PRECISION with a medium laser, and I aint seen him ever shoot nothing else.  All he does is practice his laser drills.  Middle aged also makes sense where he got all his buy in money.  I heard we all put in the same stake in this little venture, and I know I had to cash out 7 generations of pension from under my old man the day he named me successor to his Eridani Legacy for the buy in money.  Aint no way Shadowhawk made his money if he is my sweet young age, what with his rattled brain.  Well, unless the helmet is just cause he drives a motorcycle, and im wrong bout something, but dollars to donuts I bet I got him pegged.  Someone with that much practice with a medium laser, im guessing some Kurita family where I hear they beat ya for not mastering your craft, or he is a Kali Death Cult fanatic.  Heck, them death cult wouldnt stop at shaving for better neurohelmet contact, they'd put holes in their skulls by choice to get even closer to their machine.  Now I could easily confirm my suspicions by just asking the dude, but if im right and he IS Kali Death Cult?  Aint no way im talking one of them up and winding up better for it.  Plus, I know he aint Steiner, he is too competent, and he aint Davion cause he is riding a Davion custom Shadowhawk, no way he makes it that obvious.  And im Marik born, and he aint like me.  That leaves Drac or Liao, and one of them has a deathwish and the other has a death cult... so ill keep my distance either way thank ye kindly.

**Week 7**

Eastwood Actual logging in.  Damn boss man and this rural ass planet.  We've been here for weeks and this is only the first fight we have had.  He tricked me with this garrison contract, sayin it gets raided all the time.  I thought 'raided all the time' meant week after week of kickin ass and takin names.  Apparently its once every few months before the export shipments head out.  That aint all the time!  Still, it was fun putting steel to steel again.  The raiders were light on mechs, mostly just mechanized infantry good at looting warehouses in their SRM equipped pickup trucks.  A hatchetman and commando were the mech support, but the meat was the heavy armor... a real treat on this backwater.  The princess of the ball was a pair of Behemoth tanks, real beauties.  Sad for them, this is a water planet, and what isnt water is wetland jungle.  So converting the vehicles for amphibious assaults cut some of the teeth outta everything.  The Behemoths were stuck on the road, the only area they could really maneuver, and the locals know it.  They cleared all the jungle cover leading up to the city, and built an 18 meter tall wall that doubles as a water break for storm flooding in the rainy season.  Up on the wall we had our trainees in urbanmech blasting away.  Yeah, another thing im sore with Bossman over is these snot nosed local brats.  Apparently we get a big bonus for training up the local Steiner boys while on garrison duty, and these blue billys are all the rich local kids whose parents bought mechs for, so the parents get to act as lords and ladies and knights of the great Lyran Realm while their brats play soldier.  God I hate Steiner blue bloods, you cant even duel them cause when any of them die its apparently a contract breach!  Whats the point of garrison duty if you cant even pick fights with the locals?  Anyway, walls with snot nosed nobles firing autocannons is better then walls with no auto cannons, so I did them the courtesy of checkin in on them and telling them when to get down or drop out of the fight.  I let others direct their firepower, dont want to mess with my hunt.  So besides these Behemoths stuck on a long featureless road that made them sitting ducks, they also had the usual striker and hetzer support to back up the infantry with missile and anti-tank firepower.  Not as exciting, but still fun to explode. 

Battle started out a bit sketch, as the gate funneled the enemy into one spot but its not like we have heavy artillery.  Shame that, but it does take some of the fun outta killin.  The supped up Shadowhawk was the first to strike out past the wall, raiding the enemy.  LT in his Archer was kind enough to lay down smoke to cover our probing attacks, but the enemy made a right believer in the divine outta that Shadowhawk pilot of ours... He was fine mind you, and he took out a Behemoth up close and personal, but he ate a fist full of bees and a few cannon sucker punches in the process, and he swore that wouldnt happen again.  The Griffin pilot of ours, still didnt catch his name as im the quiet type, stepped up next, blocking the gate and kicking fools who dared push past.  The wolverine pilot made use of his infernos, and took out probably a third of the 6 infantry platoons himself.  Meanwhile LT's archer didnt stop firing from behind the wall till the last vee was dead.  He musta hit override on his reactor at least 3 times—bet he wishes he was standing on the other side of the wall in that wetlands water to cool off by the end of it—enemy fire is preferable to the heat sometimes.  Im speaking from experience here, boy if you could see the burned up right side of my face you'd know I can attest to all but the devils heat.  The enemy had a few AA guns mounted on bulldog tanks, and while they retreated once we immobilized the main tank force, Old Clint took a few hits.  Im not a superstitious man—the only higher power I believe in dont play dice with the universe—but the damned enemy put a small round through my torso ring and hit my girls engine.  It was hotter then the inner thighs of a Steiner lady in jeans running a mile in heels.  I did my own fair share of reactor over rides, as I couldnt bring myself to stop shooting.  In the end, the tanks were brought down by flanking fire as they closed in on the defended gate, which offered multiple lanes of cross fire, and the only tricky bit was making sure the infantry didnt push into the city past the gate.  Rooting out infantry once they get inside a building is easy, cept Steiner wanted to keep the city intact, so instead it's hard.  Thus we had to step up and intercept.  My Gal loads flak shot just for that reason, the rounds may not be great versus heavy armor but itll birdshot anything lighter straight to hell with the horse they rode in on.  Even Mr Shadowhawk, loaded with more lasers then udders on a cow, was blasting away, getting the enemy one soldier at a time if need be.  We made it out ok in the end, even salvaged both mechs thanks to well placed headshots, which is more then half the newly formed merc crews do im told.  Also, pirate mechanized trucks go for a pretty penny on the Steiner market, as they love driving demilitarized vees as their civvie daily driver, so boss man says we done good that day.

***Week 10***

Eastwood Actual here.  Today we are going to go over the formation of our not-so-motley crew.  Ive been on this jungle world for 2 months now, so I gotta talk about something to someone, even if its just a vid recording, as im getting mighty bored.  Sure as hell aint training no training cadre, that for others to worry about—dont care what the contract states I know where my talents lie.  Anywho, no better place to begin then Home Base, a recently acquired union drop ship.  The ink on the new owner's contract is so wet we haven't even renamed the ship yet, just took it over and sailed right out here to La Blon to enjoy our island vacation amidst all the killing.  How we ended up with a union is a story thats been told a thousand times in the merc business... a crew comes together, pools their resources and strikes out on their own.  Then, maybe on the first contract, maybe at the end of the year, well it turns out running a business or managing a company or leading troops in battle are totally different from the grunt work most mercs came from.  Bills pile up or a job goes south, and before you know it the groups insolvent and someone with more money then sense buys them up wholesale.  Course, our story is different—we are the ones with more money then sense and wont be the group that goes insolvent after a year.  And yeah we might be the 1001st merc group to say that, but true is true.  Anyway, I dont care much for small talk believe it or not, so I didnt speak to the dropper crew to hear what really went down.  But the signs are there... lotta empty mech bays but few empty bunks, many picked over but not fully cleared out when we bought the left overs and hanger ons that came with this big bird.  Honestly, I couldnt tell you who in our crew is from the old group we bought out, and who is new like me.  I do know boss man picked this failed merc group to acquire mostly for their elite tech, and that elite tech was mostly for me.  See, old Clint's got a bit of a reputation, and keeping a fine gal like her operating at star league spec's ain't something easy, or cheap.  The Eridani managed her maintenance fine, but big outfit like that aint got the freedom I want.  My pa and grandpa are still sore at me, what for taking that 7 generations of pension from them when I cashed out to join here.  Their true family was always the light horse, so I dont get how they say I broke up the family... their still at home at the light horse and the troublemaker son is gone—they should thank me really.  If they didnt want me to cash out the pensions then they shouldnt have made a kid like me the new head of the mechwarrior family as an academy graduation present.  Anyway, besides buying into the current company I dont handle the money, Bossman's accountant does the figures, just know I had a lot of it and now I got a lot less, but you do right by a girl like Clint and she'll do right by you.

Speakin of Bossman, I honestly dont know how he pulled such an elite crew together.  Dont even know if he fights, seeing as thats why he has us.  He handles the money, he handles the contracts, he handles the talent... why if I were a suspicious man id be downright wary of what he could do.  I do suspect that a certain level of talent, people like myself, lose interest in more money in favor of their hobbies... and our hobby is playing war.  People like us need people like him to keep us entertained, before we brew up our own trouble.  Heck few of the crew already came with hits on them from the pirate groups in the area, swearing to 'send troops after us this' and 'we cant escape' that... dont threaten me with a good time!  Still, Bossman figures Steiner pays well, and Kurita's border is worth the fight, so one way or another all us battle junkies are here.

We still got a cool 30 million in the warchest, and thats after buying the leftovers of a merc group dropship and all.  Still dont know where the others found their portion of the hundreds of millions of cbills this outfit took to bring together.  Maybe its best I dont ask them kind of questions to potential Kali Death Cult Assassins—which I still havent ruled out as a possibility.

***Week 14***

Eastwood Actual coming live after the rumble in the jungle finished up.  Finally some action comes are way, and wouldnt ya know it was just a miserable slog in the ****** jungle.  I dont care what anyone says, the enemy that day wasn't the pirates, it was the damn trees and muck and slime and water just determined to crawl up our asses.  Did I, with my certified elite skills trip and fall.  Yes.  I aint too proud to admit it.  However, I maintain that the second time I ended up on the ground was not a fall, but a dive for cover.  I saw that autocannon wizz past my head right where I would have been, were I standing, thus me falling prone made that shot miss.  AKA it counts as a dodge, and intentional or not I that fall was a dodge maneuver.  Thus I only fell one time that counts.  The shadowhawk pilot fell twice for real in that personal hell of trees and vines, and by rights with all the scrambled brains that kid has it was only by Gods Providence that he aint in a coma with all beating he took.  And I said kid, not middle aged man like I initially predicted.  Finally got a good look at him when the medics pulled him out of his helmet and started treating his wounds for all the fall damage he took, checking for yet another concussion.  Damn kids my age, and I aint but 2 decades round the sun.  How the hell'd he practice so much with a medium laser to get that good?  I can read a name tag at half a kilometer, and hit a badger in a honey hole with Clint's trusty 57mm at the same, but eye sights a god givin talent I had the grace to be born with.  What he has is learned, which is why I pegged him at 40 easy, but damn dude pulling off stunts like that at 20 aint natural.  Still leaning Kali Death Cult, or some fanatic Kurita family that dont let you eat before taking 2000 practice shots with a medium laser each day.

Speaking of Shadowhawk Ninja Assassin, he sniped the gyro out a stalker with a rear shot, then passed by like he was bored of it.  Who doesn't finish off a wounded stalker when given the chance?  I had to mosey over and put a laser through Stalker's cockpit as Mr high and mighty Shadowhawk couldn't be bothered.  Also, holey hell do them pirates hate the Shadowhawk and Griffin pilots.  I found out where they got their hundreds of millions of cbills... they boosted it off the pirates, and used that as their buy in for the company.  The pirates wouldnt shut up about it, blaring on open comms the whole fight.  Them pirates were downright SPITEFUL about this...  The enemy dragon mech, or the commander holding the command detonator button, literally detonated his own ammo bin when the Shadowhawk got near, just to deal some secondary damage to the Shadow pilot.  I didnt see no eject either.  You know how crazy you gotta be to blow yourself, or your subordinate, up like that?  Im asking, I dont know cause im not that crazy.  Then a mongoose tripped over itself in the jungle rushing all out to get to this guy, getting impossibly tangled up and ruining his mech just to get a little closer.  Sure, like I said they did a number on this shadowhawk pilot, damn near got him if not for that grace o god I mentioned, and put a number on the griffin pilot too, who apparently they hate just as much.  I even took a bunch of damage just being nearby to this fight with all the blowing crap up, as they insisted on danger close artillery that scattered onto me.  You know they didnt even adujst fire?  None of the infantry was talking to each other, no preplots, no walking fire, just pure panic fire whipped up as fast as they could manage.  My baby is down a laser and jump jet thanks to their antics spraying artillery everywhere, all to do just a bit more damage to the Shadowhawk and Griffin.  Hell some shells even landed on friendlies on their side.

As for the flow of the battle, you can tell the conventional force used to be lead by someone competent.  They spent weeks infiltrating field gun infantry through the jungle, digging trenches and field works, to get into firing position of the space port with a full artillery company, plus a battalion of field guns infantry in support.  It would have been brilliant, and a great win for them, if these other pirate who just hate the Griffin and Shadowhawk didnt show up in their mechs at the last minute to take over the operation from the local ground commander.  Blaring challenges and insults to two of the garrison mercs aint a great way to launch a sneak attack on said garrison.  So thanks crazy dead pirate mechwarrior people, you showing up really saved our bacon by usurping command from someone with a great plan and the ability to execute it.

LT sadly was busy baby sitting the training carde, but the Wolverine did fine work organizing things in LTs stead.  Shame about missing LT in his Archer, he ordered up some spicy munitions that would have carved through those infantry.  The wolverine picked up the slack in the spicy department, and did the majority of the infantry clean up, as his infernos popped field guns and field artillery with each hit that found home.  He also took the least damage, as like me the Wolverine started at the back of the enemy formation and peeled them like and onion... unlike the Griffin and Shadowhawk that literally hot dropped onto the enemies center. 
The Griffin brought a literal pair of knives to a gun fight, and made me quite sure he was an old retired gladiator.  Then he immediately broke his first knife the first time he used it, and missed half the time he attacked.  So now im questioning his background—I now know his money came from robbing pirates, so that dont fit the mold of a retired elite solaris gladiator.  In the end, he was using that knife like a farmer uses an agro mech with a tiller, to scrape up the trenches and field works that the infantry were hiding in—he scraped up and replanted a lotta men this day, just a sea of arms sticking up outta fresh plowed dirt looking like 5 fingered daises.  Dude is wicked fast with a blade, but I think that was his first time using a blade against armor.  He is a quick learner though, towards the end of the fight I saw him stick his last remaining blade right in through the torso ring of an Ostscout, and twist into the engine and low mounted laser.  He also stopped missing with half his attacks.  They say third times the charm, so after 2 sets practice swings he got the hang of using blades on his mech... meaning he learned you dont snap your blade by going tip point to flat armor.

The butchers bill wasnt so bad at the end—well for us anyway.  Not for all the dead other guys, who either died or were blown up by their own side trying to run away from us.  The infantry were ordered to fire the mech scale guns and artillery constantly, instead of being sneaky and clever and doing right by infantry in a fighting retreat.  Them pirate mechs in charge really cut the enemies effectiveness down.  It was a huge slog in the jungle, but it would have been a lot worse if the infantry fought guerrilla style, abandoned their field guns, and fought tree to tree in cover like your supposed to when mechs get uppity on you.  Asked Bossman about it, he said the pirates used slaves with command detonated explosives as the bulk of their ground forces, and all the infantry were bound in position unable to leave a certain radius to ensure they'd fight to the death.  Not sure if I'm supposed to feel bad bout killing them all.  Asked Shadowhawk about it, he said its good they wanted to kill their own ground troops if they disobeyed orders, as those crazy pirate mechs gave crazy orders and that made things easier for us.  Definitely want to agree with him, as who wants to fight infantry falling back in the jungle where you gotta fight more and more just to find a place to stand, but that does sound like the answer a Kali Death Cult assassin would give, so I didnt press the matter further.  I did ask about air support, as in where was it.  Bossman said he's working on it, but the Pirates brought 5 AC carriers loaded with flak so even if Bossman wanted to order close air support, whoever was in charge of the pirates originally had thought of that and blocked off air support from bombing his artillery.  Hence why we had to insert from orbit from Home Base and go in without air power at our back.

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Eastwood Actual's VLOGs (IRL 3025 btech campaign)
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2023, 04:38:07 »
***Week 15***

Eastwood Actual here.  I know I checked in just a week ago, post Pirate battle in the jungle.  All these bruises on the good side of my face ARE new since then, thank you very much.  No we weren't in another fight in the meantime.  Also, the right side of my face got mushed up too, you just probably cant tell with all the burn scars.  Which brings up the topic of this week, another pilot bio, this time the Griffin pilot.  Now, week 1 before I met him I had him pegged as an old retired Solaris Gladiator, someone with a refined grace.  At that point all I heard about this guy was he ordered a number of mech sized combat blades, and a griffin brawler mech.  Well that was pretty much all wrong.  We got yet another crazy kid in our group, you can tell looks older but he insists he is 20 TWO ZERO years old and not a day older.  Well its week 15 and he is still 20 TWO ZERO years old and not a day older when asked.  So I think he just cant count past his fingers and toes and decided to stop aging at 20.  Still, a lot younger then expected, though probably closer to 30 then 20 if I had to put money on it.

With his age ruling out distinguished Solaris gladiator, and with a face like his, he must have picked up those melee skills in the underground argomech fights.  If you dont know, it aint Solaris that has the real steel on steel knock down drag out fights that people bet on.  You get shady types all over, the type to put kids and washed out mercs no one will miss behind the stick of converted agromechs.  Then all the rich ****** of the galaxy pay big money to come see them fight and die in person up close.  This aint the kind of thing you can broadcast through Comstar; that means big money as fools gotta travel to where the action is.  Starting to make more sense where Griffin found a big old pile of cash and a life long death warrant with pirates core of terra.  Kid with talent like him coming up in the underground fight ring makes sense why he is so damn deadly with a blade in a mech but looks like an amateur smackin real mech armor.  Probably his first time seeing the good hardened mech grade stuff was week 7 with our merry band, and his combat blades didnt get installed till week 14.  That commercial agro mech foamed steel armor would get popped like a balloon to a piercing mech blade strike, no chance of snapping there.  So yeah, he adjusted pretty fast to the real deal armor quick after his first blade snapped, all things considered.

As for his looks, well repeated trauma clearly took its toll on his face.  Griffin's right eye droops down, probably some orbital injury from an agromech punch to the head.  You can see the 3rd rate hack job surgery where they just stitched his eyelid up to his brow, probably before each match, so he wouldnt lose vision to a lasy eye caused by that orbital fracture—they tend to not care about infection and such as long as their pit fighter is mean and making them money in the fight right now.  Seen that a lot on the old timers in the Eridani too—the orbital injuries part not the messed up eyes wide open scar drek--if anything orbital injuries are more common then the dented-ass head Shadowhawk is rockin after I finally got to see him without his helmet last week in triage.  Anyway it gives Griffin a characteristic look, but he doesn't seem to notice it.  Kids with fraked up faces must be normal from whatever hole he came from.  I was a right freak back in Eridani at my age, but here im the normal one.

Or maybe he was born with a lazy eye, I aint asking someone who looks like that what kinda fraked up he is.  Specially not now after we sorted the pecking order when hes in arms reach of me.

You see, I told him after the last battle it wasnt a competition, its just that Shadowhawk happened to fall more then me, and I bagged a bigger mech then Griffin did—did Griffin even get a mech kill?  Ill have to ask on radio when im out on patrol far away.  Its not a competition, so I dont know why he got all mad.  If it was a competition I can see being a sore loser, seeing as how I told him Im in only a 40 ton mech and he is in a custom heavier griffin, yet I bagged a bigger mech.  But its not a competition I made sure to stress.  Anyway, LT wasnt around, so we had some words in the locker room back at Home Base after Shadowhawk went to the infirmary.  Now im not a close in fighter, I do my best work 6 feet from tuesday plus a bit.  But I still got in 1 good hit to his 3, cept he only needed two.  Good news is I only needed 1 to hit him in that big sunken right eye o his.  So yeah we beat on each other a bit, friendly stuff.  Fight ended when we broke the railing and gravity showed us who the real winner was.  Who puts a locker room on the second floor above the mech bay anyway, thats just unsafe.

***Week 22***

Eastwood actual with just a status update.  Im grounded for a week, which might seem bad, but I got out of training cadre duty.  Unlike Wolverine and LT in the Archer, who actually took to training the Steiner brats, I have made it most of the way without needing to do very much.  Bossman though put the boot down, saying its a requirement and all.  So I trained them in taking cover.  I ordered up the lance in urbanmechs, brought them to the live fire field, and ordered them to drop prone then pop up to shoot behind a berm using hull down tactics.  Now, this was hilarious.  See, I got the green light to perform this little exercise cause on paper its a real skill to have.  But these green cadets with their no arm mechs arnt ready to pop up quickly yet.  They are used to carefully standing, making sure to do it right so they cause less damage to their machine and themselves in case of an 8 meter fall inside a metal bathtub.  I wasnt having none of that carefully stand drek.  So I got treated to a buncha urbanmechs flopping all over smashin the smile right off them dumb rich kid faces.  They came out so battered you'd think they insulted Griffin's mama while not respecting the arm's reach rule.  I shoulda charged extra, cause I gave them Steiner techs a bunch of busted up Urbanmechs to practice on too.  Anyway, LT or Wolverine probably told Bossman my training wasnt exactly what I said it was, so now im grounded and they are docking my pay.  If I cared about pay I wouldnt have sunk in almost a hundred million cbills to fly out to this jungle planet.  Im here in a no-name merc unit cause no-name means no accountability or grand reputation to uphold.

Anyway, La Blon aint so bad as long as you stay outta the pit they call the interior jungle.  Its known for being a place you can get away from it all, without needing to go away.  It has a very nice casino I can attest to, and a thriving local tri-vid industry, so there is always something interesting to watch.  Someone's watching these tri-vlogs im guessing too.  Plus each time there is a fight, the rainy season washes all the debris away, or the jungle just covers it all up, so the common raids dont even show their long history here like on other worlds full of ghost towns.  Shoot, a fight in the suburbs probably raises the property value as new tourists come in and build an even bigger vacation home.

After this week being grounded is up, ill probably order the urbanmechs to do jumping jacks, and yell at the cadets for improper form.  First one to say they cant do it cause they dont have arms is getting shot with a salt training round outta Clint's ol 57.  That might land me a brig vacation, fingers crossed!

DevianID

• Captain
Re: Eastwood Actual's VLOGs (IRL 3025 btech campaign)
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2023, 03:09:51 »
***Week 28***

Eastwood Actual here, coming live just one week after the craziest bunch of junked up gladiator pirates dropped ass end first with a bowl of bees on us.  These pirates are nuttier then a coconut plantation.  Now, I knew they had some junkyard melee gladiator stuff judging by how they come hooting and hollerin after Griffin, the resident knife fighter with actual knives.  Now I see how they trained him up so good before he gone rogue and swindled all their money.  These madlads dropped 2 lances with matching mechs, a lance of assassians and a lance of centurions.  The assassian had the same two knifes welded to a mech like Griffin installed, and the centurions were sporting cleavers and cut up dropship hull shields like a dang-ol viking outta some Rasalhague period piece.  Im lying here in the dropship staring at the ceiling still dumbfounded.
But I aint even get to the bees yet.  They hopped up some battle slave infantry on some kinda drug, Bossman said they aint sure what drug given we aint capture any of em intact.  Thats right, the only ones we found were the ones we had to scoop up with a shovel.  They loaded em up with demo charges and vibroswords, and they literally paradropped in, most without the 'para'.  A good 5 or so PLATOONS of em just exploded around the base, and a few exploded ON US.  The rest we lost track of in the fighting, Bossman said they probably ran off but until the security sweeps find em we are all confined to quarters and board as hell.  Bossman emphasized that we cost too much to replace for us to be walking around base with potential drug addled infantry lurking about.

As for the actual fight, LT in his Archer aint made for close combat, so he backed up in a hanger to limit what viking gladiator wannabes could do to him, while blasting away with mines and lasers.  The Shadowhawk is dead-eye nasty with those medium lasers, so he set about carvin them melee mechs up at range.  The Wolverine did his bit with the duckin and weaving, but the star of the show was Griffin.  Any enemy that wants to punch him forgot the first rule when interacting with Griffin—keep out of arms reach.  He showed them what a junkyard gladiator really was instead of these viking cos-play pirates relying on image to scare the enemy.  I took a beating for my trouble, Ol Clint aint fond of bombs, specially human ones, and the assassin mechs are actually faster then me, so we was playin hopscotch all night till a few kicks knocked em down, showing the Clint superiority.  Once down, the team cut them knife hands to shreds before they could jump away.

By the end the pirates showed just how crazy they could get fighting to a man whi... [red lights start flashing inside the dropship with “Intruder Alert” klaxons blaring in the background]

Shoot yall, looks like them missing pirate infantry showed up.  [grabs gun, starts putting on the mech's flak jacket]  Im gonna put my chicken vest on an try not to die, Eastwood actual out!

***Week 28.1***

[A pale Eastwood Actual appears on screen in an ad hoc triage medical bay]

…wood Actual with an addendum, didnt die.  Came real close.  Thank goodness them Pirates didnt know how to use them fancy vibroswords.  They cut right through the defenses and got in the damn walls man.  Game over for the tech crew, I heard they got it rougher then us in the open mech bays a few floors down.  Only a single kill squad made it to our level, going room to room to try and kill anyone they found.  Just us mechwarriors up on this deck, in what was supposed to be in lockdown.  Fortunately we are all a bit crazy, so between my Sniper Rifle and the crate of blazers the others had we were all 'well armed.'  Griffin had his own damn vibrosword and came out wearing neo-chain mail like hes been praying for this day, that dudes just as crazy as the pirates.  I swear his sunken lazy eye came to life with the hum of the vibroblade, I dont think I saw that dude blink till the last Pirate on our level was cut down.  Me, Griffin and Wolverine all survived by the skin of our teeth, thanks to the Pirates going for melee like madmen instead of going full auto.  Maybe now we can find out what crazy berserker drug they all take to act like this.

LT was my hero today.  I was cut up real bad, bleedin out in my room, when the last pirate came out the access tube.  LT got in the hallway between us so the pirate couldnt finish me off.  Pirate took a look at him posted up with a rifle in the cooridor and decided to run the other way, into the overwatch of the rest of the squad.  LT was the only thing between me and certain death.  He did blow up our ice cream machine when he tossed a grenade earlier in the fight to clear the galley, so I figure we are even.  Now, that may sound like it aint at all even, a life for an ice cream machine.  But that just proves you aint ridden in a mech goosed up to 100c redlining the jump jets in a god forsaken jungle in the most humid conditions you can imagine.  I mean, we had swamp water poolin in our cockpits last patrol, IN OUR COCKPITS, and 1, the cockpit is fully space sealed, and B, we are TEN METERS above the swamp.  The only thing that keeps any of us alive even on a training patrol is the sweet relief of our massive soft serve ice cream machine when we get back to base.  And LT blew it up, he blew the damn thing up.  So yeah, him saving my life is fair for him ending my will to live with no more ice cream.  You know, sometimes I dont even EAT it, but I dont want comstar to demonitize my Tri-Vlog, so its best left to your imagination of how to best put a soft serve machine to use after a long jungle patrol.

Anyway, doc says I gotta stick around here in medical, but I dont see that happening.  Too many people here lookin around, lookin at me.  Too exposed.  I figure Griffin will get me my pistol if I ask real nice, and the pistol gives me a doctorate in getting out of sickbay without no one stopping me.  Oh, an technically Bossman has us mechwarriors all listed as captains on the TO+E, which I still swear is an insurance scam he has running for his wheels within his wheels, but it DOES mean I outrank all these people and should get to do what I want.

***Week 30***
Eastwood actual here.  Yes I am out of medical early, Yes I did make that one new nurse cry before they let me go, and no I dont think she will be back.  Clints the only girl I need anyway, though Bossman did get a sassy new lass on the roster.  Her name is Vevor, and while she looks clean she is dead nasty once you pop the top off.  Our last ice cream machine was a 30 Liter treat, but Vevor has 7.3 gallons in 3 flavors, all nat-ur-al, not 2-plus-a-swirl putting on airs like our ex.  I did pop my stitches, and yeah my fever does make it hard to see straight at times, but Vevor has my back and knows how to sooth me right down.

Speaking of crew we cant live without, we have LT on the spotlight today.  Technically he is a captain, and Bossman told me to stop mentioning the roster/insurance scam theory I had, but LT will always be my LT just like Ill never take any officer responsibility even if they make me commodore general.  LT is just good about looking out for his squaddies like that.  That Archer has eyes everywhere, and he has time to check in on us/watch over us I guess since he tends to park behind cover and lob indirect missiles without moving about.  He has been taking local college courses in business I think, as he is always off 'handling my business for me' as he says.  Next week he will be babysitting our training cadre, while we finish off the regular pirate ground force that is tired of starving in the jungle and trying to break our strangle hold siege we have.  I was supposed to babysitt the cadre but we all know I aint doing it.  Well, technically I am not even supposed to be piloting anything, due to the widespread infection and popped stiches slowing my recovery time.  But I have a doctorate in gun, and the Clints remove activation codes, so they cant stop me from going out very easily.  The plan was to have the injured pilot mind the rookies, but I said no, and plan on marching to the battle lines to shoot fools one way or another, so they let me have my way.  Stinks not having LT on for when the pirates eventually break or go mad with swamp fever and charge the gates, but I know I'm not babysitting and only the Wolverine pilot seemed to take an interest in them.  Wolverine likes running gunnery drills with the baby urbanmechs—some people just get unnaturally attached to things instead of playing it cool like me.  But even he doesnt want to march them out to safety and miss the firefight.

LT's the Faceman to the rest of the team you've met so far, in that he isn't disfigured.  We are a drekkin carnival act I swear.  With Shadowhawk's messed up skull from wearing a heavy neurohelmet just literally his entire childhood while drilling with lasers, to Griffin's sunken orbital fractures, and my burned up head and melted ear, they aint putting our faces on any recruitment posters.  Recruitment overall is down... we havent been able to hire any tech teams to replace casualties either, so any damage Clint takes might not get fixed so easy this time, but Bossman says this is a turkey shoot as intel reports they got no more ammo.  So Clint should be fine so long as I dont pass out of sepsis they say.

LT is a real go getter.  He doesnt wait for anything.  If I am supposed to do something, instead of waiting on me to never do it he will just go do it.  When it comes to marching the newbies around, they get right to it.  He leaves the boring drill gunnery practice to the training CO Wolverine.  Wolverine leads them in their basic careful aim gunnery drills, while LT in the Archer drills the more advanced snapshots that make up most of the real shots we make in the knifes edge moment to moment combat.  Shoot, LT doesn't even wait for a missile lock, he just shoots indirect without waiting for a spotter.  Fairly certain he hacked all our gunnery cameras so he can see the battlefield without waiting on us to call in enemy positions, dude has eyes in the back of his head or his own personal spy satellite otherwise.

The way he leads troops, I feel like he has some large unit experience.  I know he is merc born and bred like all of us except that pseudo-noble Wolverine, but some mercs like their archers more then others.  I place him as a Kell Hounds kid, maybe one of them Wolf Dragoon bastards or one that split off like Snord.  All 3 like their Archer commanders.  Since LT is a young youth like the rest of us wastrels, he had to get all that responsibility from somewhere.

***Week 32**

Eastwood Actual signing in.  Hit a bit of a rough patch between me an my girl after this last battle.  Bossman says its time for a break, we need our space.  I dont want to believe it, but she moved back in with the techs, and Griffin and Shadowhawk are tellin me to move on, plenty of fish in the sea.  Bossman tried to even fix me up with a new girl, a fresh Phoenix Hawk on the merc market, but I told him a Phawk is too hot to trot.  He also offered a big girl, a Banshee, but thats the kind of las Griffin might lust after.  No, what me and Clint have is special, and im sure she'll take me back after the tech's find a new gyro. 

Bossman said im costing the group a pretty penny with all these custom parts, but while he sees numbers he dont know all of em.  He also said this battle was gonna be a cake walk, and the pirates were out of ammo.  But he only got it half right... they were out of SRM ammo.  The two lances of tanks still had all the other ammo, and plenty of it.  Its just, instead of SRMs they were firing Infernos.  So if he was wrong about the pirates, just proves he is wrong about Clint.

Battle started off ok, we had a wall, they had to breakthough.  4 mechs versus 10 tanks aint exactly fair, even if they did have a pair of behemoths.  But, well we was missin LT in more ways then one.  Its still a wet hot mess, and early on we was all jumpin up to fire and back down to cool off 2 at a time.  LT would have organized us to all move as a unit, which we did in the end, but while the tanks closed our staggered battle line saw always 2 of us getting hit instead of given the enemy no targets when we needed a cooling cycle.  8 total bulldogs, the AA variant, and 2 Behemoths acting as command tanks; took a while to chew through, but without SRMs the only real threats were the 2 Behemoths.  Well we all was shooting them, poppin out for flank shots to wreck a tread like one does, but none of us, not a one, had our eyes looking the same place.  We musta put twenty plus shots into each of those damn tanks, and not a one track came loose.  They came up, knocked down our gate, and were only stopped by Griffin standin in their way.  Boy do they hate Griffin and Shadowhawk these pirates.  They actually stopped their column after we finished about half their friends.  I wanted to tell Griffin about how I flanked the column of Bulldogs while he bodied the Behemoths, since he couldnt see me over the wall, but he muted me as soon as I called him.  See, I got behind the column in the rear, where the ammo is stored, and put my signature 57mm flak buckshot round in the rear of the column's AC2 and inferno ammo.  With 2 tons of high explosive ordinance, their aint no blow out panels in the world strong enough to stop that much ordinance, doubly true with as volatile as inferno rounds are, and the secondary explosion when to killing everything in a 15 meter radius.  So I killed 2 tanks with 1 shot and brought the column to a halt, but Griffin wasnt hearing none of it... literally turned his comms off.  I did see him wave from above the wall, but I dont think it was too cordial cause I mostly just saw one finger waving back at me when I stopped the column with the behemoths right in front of him.

Wolverine and Griffin had a hell of a time with all the infernos this sortie.  Being that their mech's best work is up close, both were riding the manual override shutdown buttons pretty hard.  Even Shadowhawk was literally on fire as a half dozen tanks with just inferno's for SRM ammo had each mech ablaze for minutes at a time, and he has air conditioning in his extended cab Shadowhawk, plus more base heatsinks then any of us.  Let me tell you, people disparage the Shadowhawk until you ride in one for a long time.  The quality of life improvement in that cockpit are many a warriors envy.  Especially the cramped and uncomfortable Wolverine pilot should be jealous of that air cushion seat in the Shadowhawk, regardless of the specs on the sticker.  Cant imagine Shadowhawk with his fraked up skull riding anything else without concussing himself silly, honestly. 

Wolverine and Griffin just didnt shoot the last half the battle thanks to heat, and the trio of 55 tonners took the tanks to tap dance lessons with all the stomping they did.  With the column turned by my actions, the enemy took a particular distaste to me.  Them behemoths from long range with me bounding like a mad man still managed to hit my baby girl with a triple whammy of AC 10 shells, all to the left torso.  They broke my poor girls heart, and the left arm fell off without even taking a scratch.  Worse, the engine and gyro got damaged in all the spalling, and then the AA guns starting licking their chops.  By the end I was presenting with my ass out, as they chopped all the front off the Clint and started working through the rear one 30mm AA slug at a time—they were just two away from putting Clint out but for good.  Eventually, the trio of mechs stopped the pirate tanks from taking their revenge out on me, but there was a good 30 seconds when all other enemies were ignored trying to finish off my Clint with her poor broken heart.  Thanks Bossman for the sim station on deck 7 as we all hit the sim pods to better handle low g piloting stresses as we prep to hit the pirates on their planetoid base.  I used everything I learned over the past few weeks to keep Clint on her toes with a lame gyro while still going full tilt dodging a half dozen incoming autocannon rounds.

After the battle with all the infernos, Griffin spent a long time getting acquainted with my personal trainer, Vevor the ice cream machine goddess.  I think he agrees its a real legit tax write-off now and should be covered under health insurance.  Wolverine and Shadowhawk were hitting on her too, but she played it cool.  Cream Quillar and Timbiqui Raisin (minus the raisin) are my favorite flavors.

***Week 42***

Eastwood Actual here!  Great news!  The patient has made a full recovery!  They couldnt save her original organs, but we found a donor and the transplant was successful.  After over 2 months, Clint is fully healed and back in my arms!  It took me over a month to heal myself—all told I was infirm for about 2 months longer then all the rest of the equally hurt pilots from those vibro blade wounds, but I did it on my terms.  Doc said as long as I dont drink alcohol my kidney damage from the infection isnt fatal!  See!  I only drink 'Clints” anyway, 2 parts Campari 1 Part Vodka in a tall glass with ice and soda water with a slice of whatever local fruit that passes for a citrus they have.  Thats practically a health tonic, and I had 3 in celebration today and feel fine.

While Im feeling loose, let me tell you about Wolverine.  Here is the kid of the group... yes we are all the same age, but unlike me Griffin and Shadowhawk he isnt disfigured, nor is he mature and taking negotiation and business classes like LT who is our ground commander who cant wait to lead a real unit.  No, Wolverine is somehow a blond haired blue eyed minor noble who doesnt suffer from the Lyran social general disease, he didnt rob his family, didnt steal from the craziest junkyard pirates, and isnt running combat ops to pad his buisness leadership school application.  The Ballar-Steiner noble house is so low if you look them up you probably wont find them, but that doesnt stop Wolverine from acting nobly in nature.  Its far too heartwarming honestly, and hanging around us its just a matter of time before we screw him up.  I almost introduced him to that pirate berserker drug the crazy infantry was using, just so im not the worst screw up, but I figured somehow that would get back to me. 

All that lack of trauma shows in his piloting.  He hasnt hyper fixated on anything else yet like the rest of us, but I think all this muck and water has soured him for piloting, as I see him working more and more with the jump jet settings.  The wolverine is a high performance high stress machine thats uncomfortable to ride, so its only a matter of time before he develops his own crazy style squeezing more power out of that machine.  I tried to set him up with some eletronica music I found from some declassified old earth files from comstar Bossman had access to, which really soothes me down.  160 beats per minute electronica on loop really hit the spot when I was dealing with that recurrent infection fever.  I rigged it to play in the Wolverine cockpit last battle with no way to shut it off to keep him calm, and boy was he jumping at the chance to finish off those Pirate tanks!  Really helped him focus I bet.  Shame it was only one song I was able to find for the loop--also its a bit unfortunate that we had to wait for hours for the pirates to clear the jungle, but 1 song is better then no song while waiting for hours for a tense combat to begin am I right?  I do worry about the volume setting though, im half deaf after the accident so ive worried my music preference is too loud, but I dont hear too much complaining from people so it must be fine.

Other than that, Wolverine still spends time with the locals, drilling the urbanmech training cadre.  I guess he feels like he should know the Lyran locals, being a minor noble and all.  Might have something to do with this latest 4th succession war malarkey.  Davion is fighting Liao I guess, but that doesn't concern us up on the Steiner-Kurita border.  Hell the last so-called succession war lasted how many hundreds of years?  It 'ended' 3 years ago per Comstar, but just restarted, so im sure in a few years they'll just consider this all still part of the 3rd succession war with more of the same low level raiding, and we will all laugh at Comstar saying the succession wars ended in 3025.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2023, 18:55:10 by DevianID »