Author Topic: [Reader Discussion Area!!!] Forgotten Worlds - The (Semi-Official) Finale  (Read 26830 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
You are very welcome, kind sir!  :thumbsup:

I don't know when I'll log in to DriveThru again, but I'll try to remember to do the rating thing...

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
I mainly ask for that because I honestly think it may help underscore what works and what doesn't to some folks upstairs.

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
In order to not hijack the Upcoming Releases thread, I'm switching over to this thread.

The fourth was a tentative idea. One that was supposed to explore what happens after her Jardine adventures, until she and her family vanish on Moore (events teased about in some Dark Age lore I'd written). But Book 4 was always the "optional" one, and so I never bothered with it. The 3 books will basically be it.
Since you mention the Dark Age lore, I'll take this opportunity to raise a point with you that came up among Sarna editors.

Brooklyn Stevens had (at least) two grandchildren, namely the Riviera siblings.

Stefka Riviera was the one traveling around trying to uncover Stevens' history, and narrowly escaped the explosion of the Lusitania IV. Check. (Who the heck names their passenger DropShip the Lusitania? What's her sister ships named, Titanic, Hindenburg, Target, and Redshirt? But I digress...)

But we have two names given for her brother, who was a RotS MechWarrior and went AWOL. She herself seems to adress him as Yeska, but the Wanted ad posted by the RotS consistently name the wanted person "Yefka Riviera". Out-of-universe typo, in-universe typo, or did he actually enroll under a false (if unimaignative) name?
Or third sibling?

Also, what about the timeline offset? Stefka's and the operative's messages are dated 3135, but the delivery timestamp is always between two days and roughly a month later in 3136. Was the one-year time lag intentional?
According to Levin's List, "Yefka" Riviera disappeared around Nov/Dec 3135 and the wanted ad was from April/June 3136.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
I'll have to dig through some very old files to see what's what, but the dates may be an issue based on how WizKids managed the news feed.

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
Thanks for looking into this!

And... Do you think a fourth Stevens book is still in the cards? Or will the series definitely conclude with Escape?
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Not unless I'm specifically asked and contracted for it, sorry.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
But we have two names given for her brother, who was a RotS MechWarrior and went AWOL. She herself seems to adress him as Yeska, but the Wanted ad posted by the RotS consistently name the wanted person "Yefka Riviera". Out-of-universe typo, in-universe typo, or did he actually enroll under a false (if unimaignative) name?
Or third sibling?

Looking at my compiled documentation on that little saga, "Yefka" is a typo, and it wasn't even the only one in that Wanted Ad.

Also, what about the timeline offset? Stefka's and the operative's messages are dated 3135, but the delivery timestamp is always between two days and roughly a month later in 3136. Was the one-year time lag intentional?
According to Levin's List, "Yefka" Riviera disappeared around Nov/Dec 3135 and the wanted ad was from April/June 3136.

Looking through my materials, the 3135 events amount to the Lusitania bombing, and Yeska's departure from the service/going missing. A later commentary between "Dion" and "Art" also mentions the bombing was "a year back" (Oh, and it may interest you to know that Greta is bad news for local travellers. Folks here tell me that they had a wee mishap with the Lusitania IV at Shizuoka Interplanetary about a year back.). In most cases, the delay in messages was meant to reflect that they were lagging thanks to the broken HPG network.

Basically, after Lusitania blew up in mid-3135, the Riviera siblings went to ground and laid low for a while, with Yeska joining his sister some 5-6 months later. The operatives tracking them were playing catch-up when they (and another couple of actors aligned with the Rivieras) got involved a few months later.

That cover all your Qs?

- Herb

Frabby

• Major
Brilliant, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Though I (or someone else) will obviously bombard you with follow-up questions sooner or later.  ;)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Herb, my review is up on DriveThru… I only saw two other reviews, plus one rating without a review.  I hope it helps!  :thumbsup:

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Wunderbar!

- Herb

theworldjoker

• Recruit
Well I just found the Jardine stories and devoured both of them in one evening... only to be teased with notes on the third!

I see the old thread with the drafts has been scrapped, and it appears there was (is?) an attempt at publication. Is that still on?

Frabby

• Major
I can't speak about the status of the manuscript for book III.  :-X
But there are some nuggets (written by Herb) in the new BattleTech Legends book which are tied to the Brooklyn Stevens saga.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Well I just found the Jardine stories and devoured both of them in one evening... only to be teased with notes on the third!

I see the old thread with the drafts has been scrapped, and it appears there was (is?) an attempt at publication. Is that still on?

The third book in the series--Escape from Jardine--is in CGL's publishing queue someplace. But when it comes out is unknown to me. [EDIT: I have been informed that the publication is slated for Q1 2021, so that puts it between January 1 and April 1.] You should be seeing it in the weeks and months ahead. I gather you enjoyed the first two parts?

I can't speak about the status of the manuscript for book III.  :-X
But there are some nuggets (written by Herb) in the new BattleTech Legends book which are tied to the Brooklyn Stevens saga.

And, for the most part, those nuggets will actually post-date the third book, as they deal with the saga's aftermath...assuming said nuggets are the ones I think you mean.

- Herb
« Last Edit: 22 December 2020, 23:28:55 by HABeas2 »

theworldjoker

• Recruit
[EDIT: I have been informed that the publication is slated for Q1 2021, so that puts it between January 1 and April 1.] You should be seeing it in the weeks and months ahead. I gather you enjoyed the first two parts?

Hey Herbert!

Indeed, I absolutely loved the first two parts. Doesn't seem like I have too long to wait for the third part now :).
« Last Edit: 24 December 2020, 12:34:27 by theworldjoker »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
A minor update:

I've been recently informed that the publication of part 3 is now slated for sometime "before June".

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Awesome!  Congrats, Herb!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
A minor update:

I've been recently informed that the publication of part 3 is now slated for sometime "before June".

- Herb

Congrats!  I can't wait to read the whole Saga together.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
That's great
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
A minor update:

- Herb
[/quote

Which Year?]

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Which Year?

This being Catalyst, that's a pretty fair question...  :D

- Herb

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
This is the month! But is it the year?

Any chance you have any updates Herb?
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Sadly no, and not for lack of trying...

- Herb

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Well.  Another Rapture sign missed. [snaps fingers]

They did say 'before' June, after all. If it were only a week or two delay, I'm sure they'd've said something.  So, maybe in the year 3000?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Well.  Another Rapture sign missed. [snaps fingers]

They did say 'before' June, after all. If it were only a week or two delay, I'm sure they'd've said something.  So, maybe in the year 3000?

Maybe. They also expressed an interest in a second trilogy about Stevens, which I can't really dive into without a contract and...guess what?

Yup.

- Herb

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Wow....

Did you guys know it's now been two YEARS since Book 3 of the Jardine saga was sold to CGL? Maybe we should celebrate it somehow.

Oh, wait...

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Yeah, last year shouldn't count for SO many reasons...   ::)

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
When you said "June" I asked "Which year?"  >:D

Remember?

It is a sad state of affairs facing this delay ...  :-[

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
And I acknowledged it was a fair question.

- Herb

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
I freely admit that you did ... and I hope that you retain a sense of humour despite all the delays ...

As to the apparently displayed behaviour of CGL towards you as an author and game developer of long standing: IMO "professionally courteous" it is not .... based on what is laid down in this thread.

Anyway, I am still looking forward towards the book (ebook in my case) once it is published by CGL.

Christian

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
I got an update today that basically says the story is stuck in a bottleneck with a whole bunch of other stories, resulting in a publication date of "someday."

And that they remain interested in a sequel trilogy set in the opening years of the Jihad. Which I have heavily outlined... but won't start writing without a contract.

Sorry for the hold-up!

- Herb