Author Topic: Forgotten Worlds Books 1 and 2  (Read 8568 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Forgotten Worlds Books 1 and 2
« on: 20 April 2019, 22:15:41 »
Catalyst Game Labs is pleased to present the first two books of Herb Beas' Forgotten Worlds serial, originally published in 2007 and 2008.

Book 1: The Hunt for Jardine and Book 2: Finding Jardine are attached to this post.

Book 3: Escape from Jardine is currently being posted on the Fan Fiction board and can be discussed there.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 16:00:55 by God and Davion »

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
Re: Forgotten Worlds Books 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2019, 22:30:07 »
 :thumbsup: Thanks Rooster! Thanks CGL!
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2019, 23:02:10 »
Thanks for this, much appreciated :)
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2019, 23:57:44 »
Aaah, good old BattleCorps goodness. Nostalgia...

These are the unchanged original BC files, right?
« Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 00:26:29 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2019, 00:08:31 »
Oooh, nice!   :o

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 April 2019, 00:19:20 »
Will read tomorrow for sure.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #6 on: 21 April 2019, 11:38:37 »
Thanks for posting these again!
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #7 on: 21 April 2019, 11:44:29 »
Very nice - thank you so very much. :))

Also: nice formatting for reading on ebook readers without further tweaking  :thumbsup:

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2019, 12:40:08 »
Yay!!!! I love this series!! Always wondered what happened to the good Doctor and her companions. Thanks CGL & Herb!! :thumbsup:
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2019, 14:02:27 »
Yay!!!! I love this series!! Always wondered what happened to the good Doctor and her companions. Thanks CGL & Herb!! :thumbsup:
We've known how the story ends since it was one of the "between the lines" stories on the WizKids website.
Her grandchildren (?) exchanged messages via LinkNet trying to piece together the puzzle of why the WoB had hunted down their family. Even in the Dark Age their search caused enough alarm for an unnamed agency to sabotage a civilian liner DropShip, with hundreds dead. (But really, you're asking for something like that when you name your DropShip the Lusitania IV...)
« Last Edit: 21 April 2019, 14:04:41 by Frabby »
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2019, 14:31:10 »
Thank you, CGL!
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2019, 21:07:07 »

I found, years after my tenure ended, that I couldn't leave the story unfinished, especially with so much of that third book already written, so the last year or so was spent finishing it off between other projects of my own, with an eye toward release on the Fanfic boards because, well, I figured there were folks like you, IronSphinx.

We've known how the story ends since it was one of the "between the lines" stories on the WizKids website.
Her grandchildren (?) exchanged messages via LinkNet trying to piece together the puzzle of why the WoB had hunted down their family. Even in the Dark Age their search caused enough alarm for an unnamed agency to sabotage a civilian liner DropShip, with hundreds dead. (But really, you're asking for something like that when you name your DropShip the Lusitania IV...)

Heeee! That was a fun series of articles I wrote. And while it DOES suggest how the story ended, well, I had a fourth "book" in mind to explain what really happened to Stevens and co. after the events of the main story, and lay the groundwork for the adventures of Brooke's grandkids, Stefka and Yeska Riviera. Woulda been neat, but I never took that one any farther than a vague idea.

- Herb

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 22 April 2019, 00:31:26 »
Good to have new (partially) fiction from you Herb.  :)

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2019, 01:17:20 »
Heeee! That was a fun series of articles I wrote. And while it DOES suggest how the story ended, well, I had a fourth "book" in mind to explain what really happened to Stevens and co. after the events of the main story, and lay the groundwork for the adventures of Brooke's grandkids, Stefka and Yeska Riviera. Woulda been neat, but I never took that one any farther than a vague idea.
Oh. Oh oh. Now it all comes together...
Brookly Stevens is Devlin Stone!
 :ugly_stupid:   :lol:

Incidentally, given she had grandchildren - were her children ever mentioned anywhere?
« Last Edit: 22 April 2019, 01:23:14 by Frabby »

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 April 2019, 01:46:35 »
Good to have new (partially) fiction from you Herb.  :)

Thanks, though I should note that this is likely my very last one. I just wanted to get it out of my system.

Oh. Oh oh. Now it all comes together...
Brookly Stevens is Devlin Stone!

Incidentally, given she had grandchildren - were her children ever mentioned anywhere?

Nope, because as of 3067, she and Tyler hadn't had any.

- Herb

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 22 April 2019, 13:52:42 »
Thank you Herb!!!
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #16 on: 22 April 2019, 22:41:12 »
I found, years after my tenure ended, that I couldn't leave the story unfinished, especially with so much of that third book already written, so the last year or so was spent finishing it off between other projects of my own, with an eye toward release on the Fanfic boards because, well, I figured there were folks like you, IronSphinx.

It is greatly appreciated.  :thumbsup:
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #17 on: 23 April 2019, 01:06:22 »
This is Awesome!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 23 April 2019, 15:19:06 »
Thank you Herb!!!

No need to thank me for the re-release of the first two books. That was beyond my means.  8)

- Herb

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 24 April 2019, 08:53:31 »
Wow, is there any other Battletech fiction on here released like this? Not including all the fan fiction backlog I'm working my way through :D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #20 on: 24 April 2019, 09:05:03 »
To the best of my knowledge, no.

- Herb

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #21 on: 24 April 2019, 09:32:21 »
Wow, is there any other Battletech fiction on here released like this? Not including all the fan fiction backlog I'm working my way through :D

The downloads section has a BattleCorps fiction sampler:  http://www.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/BattleCorps-Fiction-Sampler.pdf
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2019, 03:54:20 »
Brilliant thanks, it just so happens that this is the first time I've ventured into this section of the  forum and this thread was at the top, awesome find! Cheers

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2019, 05:08:48 »
WOW, nice surprise! Thanks, good to read these again!

DarkLloyd

• Corporal
  • "Never Say Die!"
« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2019, 15:32:33 »
This is Awesome Herb!

Thank you for giving us another look into these stories.
Col. Adrian Rattliff C.O.  The Ratt Frags - Allied Mercenary Command

The Ratt Fragg's motto for the Jihad: "Nemo Me Impune Lacessitaā€¯ - No One Attacks Me With Impunity
"I don't know who you people are. But I bet I know how much that Mechs' gonna be worth in salvage."
"A lot of people hate the Clans, me, I don't mind them. I just think of them as a "Renewable" resource...... "

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2019, 18:48:07 »
This is Awesome Herb!

Thank you for giving us another look into these stories.

All I did was finish the third book with an eye toward public release on the Fanfic boards. Everything else came from folks other than me.

- Herb

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 26 April 2019, 03:11:07 »
All I did was finish the third book with an eye toward public release on the Fanfic boards. Everything else came from folks other than me.

- Herb

Everyone's part is appreciated.  :)

Dq3

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: 26 April 2019, 19:37:29 »
Thank you very much to Herb and everyone who helped with the re release of 1+2! I've been trying to piece together the first two books from my old battlecorps downloads for over a year now, it'll be great to finally get to see one of my favorite stories wrapped up.  :D

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2019, 03:42:20 »
Everyone's part is appreciated.  :)

Agreed!

Thank you very much to Herb and everyone who helped with the re release of 1+2! I've been trying to piece together the first two books from my old battlecorps downloads for over a year now, it'll be great to finally get to see one of my favorite stories wrapped up.  :D

Thank YOU, Dq3, and may I also say (judging from your post count), welcome to the forums!

- Herb

Dq3

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2019, 11:28:19 »
Thanks Herb, I did have a question regarding the boarding action on the 'Sac; and I apologise in advance if this was answered somewhere previously, but I was wondering what model the BA/ PAL suit was? I was thinking Tornado or Nighthawk based on the timeline and the fact that it had fully articulated hands, or was it a custom MD job? Just curious!

Register