Author Topic: So… tell me about your customizations.  (Read 3167 times)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
So… tell me about your customizations.
« on: 08 May 2018, 16:50:44 »
(Note to mods, I think this is the best place, if you feel it belongs in fan designs, please move.)

The thread “to customize or not to customize” got me thinking. How do your customized designs come about?

I don’t mean “brand new 'Mechs from the factory" I mean “we slapped this here large laser and some heat sinks in place of the AC/5 on Pappy's Shadow Hawk because it was convenient.”

To start:
The Wolverine II known as “Grandfather’s Axe" was first modified during the campaign for Terra. With both pilot, captain Maria Majestic, and 'Mech sidelined due to an ammo explosion, they were left for refit and repair. When reports came of unknown dropships burning in the techs scrambled to cobble together as many units as possible.
The supplies of Ferro fibrous armor were already shipped to line units, but the techs had standard plate available. Taking the arm from a combat lossed Griffin b, they quickly rebuilt the right arm and installed additional heat exchangers to help with the heat from the PPC. The Wolverine also gained more armor to compensate for the loss of the Ferro fibrous armor. Leading the other wounded troops, Maria was able to drive off the Amaris forces, sent to disrupt the back line.
(Take stock Wolverine II, replace the ultra 5 with an ER PPC and three heat sinks, replace the armor with 10 tons of standard plate. Add inaccurate weapon (ppc) quirk. Note that the 'Mech still has CASE in the right torso. If you’ve read David Drake's Rolling Hot, that is what I think this battle was like. Wounded crews and repaired or replacement machines, pressed into service.)

By the time Maria was able to rotate back to her command, she and the technicians had been able to standardize and fine tune the modifications, and the battered SLDF wasn’t in a hurry to take the time to convert the 'Mech back to factory standard. (Remove the inaccurate weapon quirk).
As Maria ended up missing the Exodus both her and Grandfather’s Axe were in the Succession Wars (alternately she took her family and settled in the Rim in the Empires Aflame AU). As the 'Mech was passed down, and as technology was lost the advanced components of the original design were replaced until by the 30th century the Royal BattleMech was nothing more than a “weird looking Wolverine" with a PPC, a bit more armor, and requiring a lot of customization (add quirk, non-standard parts).

Anyone else?

Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Luciora

• Major
Re: So… tell me about your customizations.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2018, 17:55:44 »
I have 4 original Rifleman minis that I customized with the backstory that they were rebuilds for a bodyguard lance at a Kallon factory.  2 ended up with Victor arms and a small missile launcher up top, while 2 others ended up with Vulture missile bins and Hussar arms.  Some of my favorite works.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2018, 20:44:19 »
I had an Atlas I designed called Scrapyard.  It was hand-built out of scraps for a salvage yard: the original chassis sans weapons and right arm was from an Atlas, it got an AC-10 and LRM 15 from an Orion, an arm (with PPC and medium laser) from a Marauder II, the engine came from a Dragon, plus various other parts from other mechs.  I never actually got a chance to use it, but it was fun to write up.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2018, 21:51:38 »
Fan Articles is for canon material.  Take it to Fan Designs, please.

EDIT: Thread moved to Fan Designs per original poster's request.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 09:16:09 by Moonsword »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2018, 08:09:19 »
I recommend this thread...

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2018, 13:41:55 »
This started life as a standard Exterminator EXT-4A;

Code: [Select]
Exterminator EXT-Fraser
Chassis: Standard
Power Plant: 325 Fusion XL Engine
Cruising Speed: 54.0 km/h
Maximum Speed: 86.4 km/h
Jump Jets:
     Jump Capacity: 150 meters
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous w/ CASE
Armament:
     1 ER Large Laser
     3 Medium Pulse Lasers
     2 Medium Lasers
     2 LRM-5s
     1 Flamer

Technology Base: Inner Sphere 65.00 tons
Chassis Config: Biped Cost: 14,297,635 C-Bills
BV2: 1,681 Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/E-F-E

Equipment Mass
Internal Structure: Standard 6.50
Engine: 325 XL Fusion Engine 12.00
Walking MP: 5
Running MP: 8
Jumping MP: 5 Standard
Jump Jet Locations: 1 CT, 2 LT, 2 RT 5.00
Heat Sinks: 13 (26) - Double (13 in engine) 3.00
Gyro: Standard 4.00
Cockpit: Standard 3.00
Actuators: L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor: 211 points - Ferro-Fibrous
Armor Locations: 6 LA, 6 RA, 1 LL, 1 RL
CASE Locations: 1 LT 0.50

Internal Armor
                   Structure Factor
Head:               3 9
Center Torso:     21 33
Center Torso (rear): 9
R/L Torso:             15 22
R/L Torso (rear): 8
R/L Arm:             10 20
R/L Leg:             15 30

Weapons and Ammo Location Heat Criticals Tonnage
Flamer                     HD 3 1 1.00
Medium Pulse Laser     CT 4 1 2.00
Medium Pulse Laser     RT 4 1 2.00
Medium Laser             RT 3 1 1.00
ER Large Laser             RT 12 2 5.00
Medium Pulse Laser      LT 4 1 2.00
Medium Laser              LT 3 1 1.00
LRM-5                     RA 2 1 2.00
LRM-5                     LA 2 1 2.00
@LRM-5 (24)              LT -- 1 1.00

The character who pilots this mech enjoys physical brawling so the first thing we did was replace the LRM 10 with two wrist mounted LRM 5s and move the Medium lasers into the torsos.  Then we got rid of the machine gun and replaced it with flamer to get rid of the half ton of explodium.  The saved weight went to an extra heat sink.

For a while that was it, but when the tech renaissance came around priority one was fitting the machine with double heat sinks.  Somewhere along the line the LRMs were removed and the ER Large Laser fitted where the flamer used to be because we were going raiding and expected to be without resupply.  At the same time the flamer was moved into the centre torso where the LRM ammo had been.  Then I replaced the armour with Ferro-Fibrous - I'd have preferred to go with Endo-steel but I don't think there as ever been a cannon endo Exterminator and even if there was a bunch of mid tier mercs like us were never getting our hands on one...

More recently we salvaged an 325 XL engine which allowed us to put the LRMs back in, upgrade the laser battery and fit CASE, more armour and heat sinks.  I wanted to ditch the flamer and put in an extra medium laser but the player who actually runs the mech enjoys setting stuff on fire too much.  There's enough space to fit TSM when that becomes available.

We're off to fight the clans next so I'm really hoping we can salvage a Hellbringer so I can steal the engine for this beasty, she's become my pet project...

I should add that this isn't my ride - I'm driving a mildly modified WHM-7K
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 13:44:38 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2018, 12:52:01 »
So long ago I don't remember if it ever got a name...

If was the CT, Head and Legs from a Mirage (laser-armed Firestarter), LT/LA from a Jenner, RT from a Javelin and RA from a Wasp.

35 tons, moved 6/9/3 (IIRC), 3xML, 2xSL, SRM6

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2018, 18:10:11 »
That's interesting... I like that one!  :thumbsup:

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2018, 04:29:38 »
When it comes to modifications I say keep it minimal and hopefully reduce or eliminate the biggest weakness or issue of the unit you are modifying . Examples . In any mech that has a medium laser in the head and runs hot you are better off putting a C3 Slave there most times . If any mech has an IS med pulse laser you may be better off exchanging the ER Med lasers and a Double HS you get twice the range and better heat balance . Any mech that runs hot or you require tonnage for upgrading systems to the next generation version you can replace an ER large laser with a light PPC lose 2 tons of weight 3 points of damage and 7 points of heat produced . In the Dark Era I took advantage of the common one Clan Spec primary or 2 secondary weapons on an Inner Sphere chassis that is done during that ERA .  For Example take a Dragonfire 4F and upgrade it for the Dark Age replace the IS med pulse lasers with ER med lasers , replace the ER Large laser with a light PPC , replace the IS Gauss Rifle with a Clan one and Case 2 and replace the LB X ammo case with CASE 2 , replace Guardian ECM with Angel and replace the the XL engine with a Light Fusion engine .  That incorporates all of the above ideas except the C3 slave replacing the head laser .

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2018, 11:24:48 »
Well I have far too many I've only done on paper to reasonably list but I'll go ahead and talk about the only one I actually kitbashed a mini for.

The background genesis for the idea was that I was rather disappointed that the Viking didn't have an axe and the weird combo of LB-10X and Gauss Rifle on the more direct fire variant gave me a bit of an idea.  So I ordered the arms of an Axman, two Gauss Rifles from a Hollander, and a Viking.  Did my best to chop off the torso LRM racks and mounted the Gauss Rifles in their place and now I can't remember if I had to do anything to the arm pips or not before I could pur the Axman arms on or not.

Now this has made me realize I haven't played that variant in entirely too long and I may have to rectify that.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2018, 11:54:22 »
Oh man,  memories of hand sawing off those shoulder LRMs still haunt me, when I was kitbashing the Gauss version.  In retrospect I should have done a putty and styrene custom.  Oh well.

Well I have far too many I've only done on paper to reasonably list but I'll go ahead and talk about the only one I actually kitbashed a mini for.

The background genesis for the idea was that I was rather disappointed that the Viking didn't have an axe and the weird combo of LB-10X and Gauss Rifle on the more direct fire variant gave me a bit of an idea.  So I ordered the arms of an Axman, two Gauss Rifles from a Hollander, and a Viking.  Did my best to chop off the torso LRM racks and mounted the Gauss Rifles in their place and now I can't remember if I had to do anything to the arm pips or not before I could pur the Axman arms on or not.

Now this has made me realize I haven't played that variant in entirely too long and I may have to rectify that.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 17:36:27 by Luciora »

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2018, 13:52:18 »
That's interesting... I like that one!  :thumbsup:
I do remember the description I used for the torso structure: "We ran a big piece of rebar through it above the reactor and bolted the sides onto it!"

If I'd done something like that today I'd have gone through the quirks list and picked everything that I could even remotely justify! ;D

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2018, 17:38:50 »
Just finished kitbashing the Battletechnology Wolfman from the Primitive Rifleman and Wolverine halves.  Used the remainder parts to make a Riflerine.  Doesn't look all that bad, just not sure what to stat it as.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2018, 21:04:31 »
Most of mine would be based on fluff.  However, custom designs really don't appeal to me anymore.  Part of it is knowing that I won't honestly play the design in home games.

I guess my example would be my ASN-21.  I wanted to make my own Merc unit and I experimented with kit bashing.  Added some spikes and threw a blade on the arm.  I tried stats:

MOD1 - Swap the SRM-2 for another LRM-5.  Bad ammo feed.
MOD2 - Swap the LRM-5 for an SRM-4.
MOD3 - Fractional accounting, halve both SRM and LRM ammo and throw a medium laser in the head (figured it is possible because of the 101)

The addiction grew into about 3 other designs...

So, I just go back to the stock 21...  I guess I am OK with just sticking with the canon design.  Instead, I just created a MechWarrior that eventually had Slugger and Jumping Jack as its SPA's.  Clubbing represents the "blade" nicely.  I pictured the 'Mech jumping, landing behind the enemy, and whacking the club through the back armor of an enemy.  The spikes are just for show and for covering up damage.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2018, 10:37:41 »
I'm a fan of the Shadow Cat, so I went and made a Society version, kitbashing a mini for it.

The ATM comes from the Executioner E mini, and the small laser pair on the underside of the left arm come from the Vandal aerospace fighter.

Armament consists of an iATM-9 with three tonnes of ammo (protected by CASE II), two ER medium pulse lasers (one in the RT, one in the LA), and two small pulse lasers in the LA.

I've got several slight modifications to Society Z configs, which I've already posted here. They're small changes to usually improve survivability (like replacing the ERLPL on the Summoner Z with an ERLL so the APGR and iATM can have CASE II, then an extra tonne of APGR ammo).
« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 10:41:18 by Xeno426 »

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2018, 02:00:39 »
The Daemon - A custom Warhammer design, was a custom order put together out of salvaged parts from many an old Warhammer.

Alius 'Al' Cad'ver showed up in Blue's salvage yard with a bunch of C-bills, accompanied by one Casey Putnam and a recommendation from a valued patron. The young man seemed to know what he wanted, and the Blue crew got to work.

The ER PPCs and double heatsinks were easy to handle, going with a stock 7M chassis. For the other modifications, a lot of work had to be done to the side torsos, though some swapping with the legs had to be done, as well.

The biggest oddball was the request for Tripple Strength Myomer. That was a hard call, but the salvage company had its methods and acquired a sample along with some schematics to work out a process to make their own. It would take nearly a year to make enough.

The bulk of the Myomer wasn't too hard of a problem.  The 6R Warhammer had extra space in the legs due to the heat exchange systems that wouldn't be necessary with the Freezer array tucked in the arms and sides and engine. The arms were tightly packed already, so instead of placing the bulky myomers there, they went with some guidance from martial arts pros putting the extra punch and pull in the sides, near the waste. A hit derived its power from the action of the torso and less from the strength of the arms.

The rest of the modifications were quite simple.  The techs, understanding how the Myomer functioned, and the rate of cooling a 7M could get, they worked out an array of stock armaments that could hit the sweet spot with controlled fire-grouping.

First to go were the ammo weapons.  Al was going into the merc trade, so ammo dependency was a consideration, and the Mech would be riding the heat curve.  The Machine guns were swapped out for another pair of small lasers.

The armored SRM housing was kept, used to hold a Guardian Class ECM Module. While it would have little effect against many of the opponents he might face in the periphery, should he face a more advanced foe, it would be handy.

The shell was mostly simple. There was enough tonnage to get away with swapping the armor for those found on a 6D, with some exceptions. The back armor had to be tweaked so that the SRM housing and shoulder light fixtures could remain.  Some creative programming mean that they would get the full frontal protection, and keep the back protection. The 7M's rear plate had to stay on, the extra half-ton just not there to get what the techs deemed a trivial boost in protection.

Finally, the Medium lasers were swapped out with some advanced ER versions they had acquired through the Tech Upgrade kits.

The heir to the company has accompanied Al into his employ.  The reasoning is that he wants to evaluate the performance of the design, and he's the best person to handle any repairs. Al has agreed and kept him on retainer.

Visually, it is indistinctive from other dated Warhammer designs, looking very much like a 6R or 6K, or 7M. But, the design parameters alone ensure it is something completely different.

Rumor has it, however, that the Blue Salvage firm is conducting an experiment with yet another modification to the design. As of 3066, our operative inside the Prepper Faction's little seed experiment has seen a drastic performance difference in the Mech that exceeds standard performances. We call into question some of the after-action reports by this operative, but the conclusion cannot be ignored.

We suggest we activate the operative, bring an end to the experiment, and bring the Mech in for study.

Report from Adept Mu VII Jon Kotes
23 September 3066

PS - there are stories to some of the additions. The slight variation in Paint scheme is to show fresh paint on replaced locations after a hard mission that led into a base encounter once back. The 'lizard tooth' has a fanfic about that encounter, an after-action report from a very interesting scenario a friend threw at my mercs as a mission curve ball.

I did make a modification to my Awesome mini with a dino skull I found in some random cheep toy. Need to finish painting that one and post a pic again. Magnetized it so that I can field the Awesome as stock, or with the custom trophy dangling from the front.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2018, 03:02:52 by Daemion »
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2018, 02:25:06 »
The San Paul Name is best known among circles in charge of expanding colonial efforts on still growing colony worlds.  The company makes its millions in its efforts at deforestation of incompatible local fauna.  Various forms of fire have been the most effective means of clearing land for crop modification. 

The company generally uses appropriate vehicles to carry flame-throwers and earth-moving machines to pile it all up. IndustrialMechs are not an uncommon sight with the San Paul logo. When the BattleMech became the status symbol for royalty, the San Paul family had an easy choice: The Firestarter.

The family maintains a full lance, among other types. They've been heavily customized, each one with different rolls in mind, but usually around the flamer. The family has expressed interest in the newer Firestarter Omni explicitly for its versatility through modules.

The company has been baffled by the disappearance of their eldest son, Javier. It came as no surprise that he took one of the older models. An FS9-S at first, it was heavily modified for potential work as the name suggested, dropping all the extra weapons for two SRM-2s in the side torsos linked to a pair of missile bins in the center torso.

The flamer arrays in the center torso were paired up with the other arm flamers in place of the lasers.

Anyone in the family will recognize that in a world of salvage, using inferno munitions is a good way to shut down an overtaxed enemy.  Rumors already abound of a pirate hunt garnering great success, where a Crusader was flamed into shutdown, on fire in an inferno.  The pilot ejected when he saw the heat gauge climbing instead of dropping.  The Mech luckily didn't succumb to an ammo explosion in the entire time it was on fire. It was said a custom Firestarter did this, and it's a fair bet it was the one piloted by their son, Javier.

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2018, 02:34:48 »
There isn't an honest story behind this design other than I wish it had been a primitive variant, or a side-variant made by one of the houses acquiring it early at the dawn of the BattleMech.

The mod is a simple one to explain the huge missiles you see depicted on the Archer artwork in some of the older books.

I simply swapped the two LRM-20s for eight LRM-5s, matching ammo tons, and the extra weight went into extra heatsinks.

If you fired all 8 Launchers at the same time, it would have the same heat effect as using both LRM 20s on the stock 2R.

The idea is that each LRM-5 ammo shot is actually one large missile.  It would have the same performance as an LRM-5 in every way, doing random damage to a location.  It was a mod to use up a large stockpile of old missile munitions that could be found lying around.  These missiles, however, would prove heavily susceptible to AMS fire, however, and the later micro-rocket style launchers would take-over as a partial counter to that and the ECM packages which caused a high failure rate in the missiles.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2018, 02:46:20 »
Some customization work for a faction using Macross Destroids for their standardized forces.

Er, I mean Warhammers, Riflemen, and Longbows. Nothing like standardized frames with some options.

The Terran Meritocracy Field Manual Excerpts.

Daemion

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2018, 02:54:28 »
Another variation ride for a character and how the Tech made it happen in an alternate BTu.

The first part of the interlude before I start the next book in the series.

ErrantBlue

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2018, 14:24:46 »
A couple from the 3025 era. First was a Shadowhawk SHD-2H. I was never a fan of the stock config for the mech. Beyond the fact it was over-sinked, it lacked a knock-out punch and was poor at all ranges, it was also a weak jumper (in comparison to the Griffin and Woverine) and packed a very explosive payload clad in mediocre armour. In a Mech-Warrior rpg game (1st Ed I believe), I had a character stuck with one of these. When our unit had the resources accumulated to do so, I had the AC5, SRM 2 and LRM 5 all stripped out. I kept the medium laser in the right arm though :) In place of the AC on the left shoulder, a Large Laser was put in and the spot vacated by the SRM 2 was upgraded to a SRM 4 with a single ton of ammo. The remaining tonnage was added to armour, jump jets and heatsinks. It was up-armored to 10.5 tons (168), heatsinks were up to sixteen units and the jump capability was maxed out at five jets. It lost a little in range but more than made up for it with a better damage curve and potentially more damage to boot (average still tied the stock model). The extra jump allowed it to play with the Griffin and Wolverine on a fair footing and with the greatly reduced ammo reliance it was a lot safer to pilot and was easier on the units finances not having to cover as much on ammo expenditures.

The other 3025 mech (also in a Mech-Warrior game, 2nd Ed though) was a Marauder MAD-3M. Continuing my love affair with the Large laser in the 3025 era, I stripped out the  AC 5 and ammo and put a third large laser in its place. With weight savings, the heatsinks count was upped by two, to twenty-two heatsinks. The remaining tonnage was added to protection, for 13.5 tons (216) of armour. It did run a little hotter than stock, but with the extra armour and no ammo to worry about it ended being quite effective, beating out stock 3M, 3R, and 3D models often.

The last custom mech was in a fairly recent AToW game. Setting was around 3067-3075. I had a character with a Griffin GRF-2N (love the look of the design in Mechwarrior Online). The change was small but it proved effective. I dropped the ER PPC (while the range is nice, I never really cared for the IS version of the weapon ), and swapped in a Snub Nosed PPC it its spot. With the extra ton left over,a medium laser was added to the left torso. I lost some long range ability but it ran cooler, could do more damge and provided me with a second back-up weapon if the SRM 6's should run dry. Loved that mech.

Register