Author Topic: (Answered) Gladiator design example errors  (Read 2421 times)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
(Answered) Gladiator design example errors
« on: 26 November 2018, 12:03:53 »
Hello all,

Working my way through CGL TM BM construction example for the Gladiator my calculations of the open space/slots that are available in Step 5 on p. 58 after adding the Gauss rifle + ammo, 2 x ER Large Laser, and 2 x machine gun + ammo do not match the text of the third paragraph.

1. Paragraph 1 indicates that the base Gladiator model has 26.5 tons of pod space, 7 open slots per arm, and 6 slots in each side torso which my work agrees with.

Left Arm 7 open slots
Right Arm 7 open slots
Left Torso 6 open slots
Right Torso 6 open slots

2. Following the text in the Paragraph 2 my results are:

a. The Clan Gauss rifle requires 6 weapons lots. The weapon is in stalled in the Left Arm "...necessitating the removal of a lower arm and hand actuator),...). Per the first paragraph the Left Arm has 7 slots available the removal of the  lower arm and hand actuators increases the open slots from 7 to 9. With the 9 open slots installation of the 6 slot Gauss Rifle leaves 3 open slots. Each ton of Gauss rifle ammunition requires one ammunition bin that occupies one slot. Two tons of Gauss rifle ammunition are installed in the Left Torso with each ton of ammunition requiring 1 slot. In the first paragraph the Left Torso had 6 open slots which is reduced to 6 - 2 slots of ammunition = 4 slots remaining open in the Left Torso.

Left Arm 7 open slots - 6 Gauss Rifle slots = Left Arm 1 open slot + 2 slots with removal of Lower Arm and Hand actuators = Left Arm 3 open slots.

Left Torso 6 open slots - 2 slots for 2 tons of ammunition = Left Torso 4 open slots

b. One ER Large Laser requires 1 slot. The text installs 2 ER Large Lasers in the Right Arm requiring 2 slots before the addition of the weapons the Right Arm which has 7 open slots. After the ER Large Lasers have been installed the Right Arm has 7 - 2 = 5 open slots.

Right Arm 7 open Slots - 2 ER Large Laser Slots = Right Arm 5 open slots

c. One machine gun requires 1 slot with ammunition requiring another 1 slot. Two machine guns take up 2 slots and 1 ton of ammunition takes 1 slot for a total of 3 slots. The machine guns and ammunition are installed in the Right Torso reducing the 6 open slots to 3 slots.

Right Torso 6 open slots - 2 machine gun slots - 1 slot for ammunition = Right Torso 3 open slots.

3. Paragraph 3 the Gladiator Prime has 3 tons remaining which my calculations agree with. The critical/weapon/equipment slots/spaces are:

a. Left Arm = 2 spaces with the removal of the lower arm & hand actuators for the Gauss Rifle versus my result of Left Arm = 3 spaces with the removal of the lower arm & hand actuators for the Gauss Rifle

b. Right Arm = 4 spaces versus my result of Right Arm 5 open slots

c. Left Torso = 5 spaces versus my result of Left Torso 4 open slots

d. Right Torso = 4 spaces versus my result of Right Torso 3 open slots

I have worked through the example six times and checked the TM Errata to see if there was a clarification.

I am hoping that someone here might be able to please help me out by pointing out what I appear to be missing. Thank you for any help in advance.

Tom Rux
« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 17:30:24 by Xotl »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Gladiator design example errors
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2018, 17:29:20 »
The record sheet for the Gladiator Prime agrees with your numbers.  So the issue is in the TechManual example.  The paragraph should be reworded to say:

Tallying up the tonnage and space used, Brent finds his
Gladiator Prime has used up 23.5 tons of weapons, leaving
3 tons to spare, with 3 slots left open in the left arm (thanks
to the removal of the lower arm and hand for the Gauss
rifle), 5 in the right arm, 4 in the left torso and 3 in the right
torso. Brent decides to devote the last 3 tons to more double
heat sinks, and places one in the left arm (which
occupies 2 of the remaining slots) and two in the right arm
(where they take up 2 slots each). The completed
OmniMech configuration is now ready for battle.

Thanks for the catch.
« Last Edit: 26 November 2018, 17:44:05 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
Re: Gladiator design example errors
« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2018, 01:32:44 »
Hello Xotl,

The record sheet for the Gladiator Prime agrees with your numbers.  So the issue is in the TechManual example.  The paragraph should be reworded to say:

Tallying up the tonnage and space used, Brent finds his
Gladiator Prime has used up 23.5 tons of weapons, leaving
3 tons to spare, with 3 slots left open in the left arm (thanks
to the removal of the lower arm and hand for the Gauss
rifle), 5 in the right arm, 4 in the left torso and 3 in the right
torso. Brent decides to devote the last 3 tons to more double
heat sinks, and places one in the left arm (which
occupies 2 of the remaining slots) and two in the right arm
(where they take up 2 slots each). The completed
OmniMech configuration is now ready for battle.

Thanks for the catch.

Thank you for the prompt reply and confirming that I was not making some sort of error.

Tom Rux
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)