Author Topic: TSEMP  (Read 4145 times)

PostApocalypticJake

• Recruit
TSEMP
« on: 06 January 2015, 02:05:25 »
I feel like I may be missing something in my understanding of TSEMP. The ability to shutdown an enemy mech or to give an order token to any other enemy unit all sounds great. But if I, on my turn, shutdown my opponent's mech by giving it a second order token from TSEMP, and then on their turn immediately following mine they get to remove both tokens at the beginning of that turn, is that not actually helping them clear order tokens more quickly?
Also, does giving a non mech unit a second order token with TSEMP cause it to take pushing damage as if it were pushed normally?

Again, my apologies if these are questions long since answered/discussed/too obvious to have ever been asked before, but I'm very new to actually playing this game despite being a long time collector of the figures, so I want to get it right.

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
Re: TSEMP
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2015, 03:38:36 »
Regardless of if in their next turn they can remove the order tokens, you line that shot up to where a Behemoth/DI Schmitt/Heavy or Assault mech can shoot it immediately after being shut down, it'll obliterate that unit unless it has a berserker dial.  My brother would use that on me then combine fire and wipe out brand new assault mechs.

it's been so long since I played that I don't remember much other than that.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2015, 08:35:13 »
TSEMP is a first order of a turn weapon. If you don't have anything else in position, don't use TSEMP to shut down a mech. Units with no order tokens keep that token.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2015, 09:57:46 »
Tactically, TSEMP is an improvement over the Alpha Strike Firing Squad.  My Spirit Cats love it.  As mentioned above, it's the first Order given because the follow up attacks from other units will benefit in several ways. 

Several things happen to a target mech when hit by a TSEMP.  First is, it is a Ranged Energy weapon which can add Heat to the target mech applied with the normal damage before the TSEMP affects the target.  The Heat effect happens only once no matter how many Ranged Energy weapons hit that turn, but that one click can be enough for a cascading heat dial to  explode ammo and shut the mech down even before the TSEMP is used.

When a mech shuts down as a result of Heat effects, it won't restart until the Heat Dial is clicked to allow it.  Any infantry armed with Flamers knows that this is when Capture attacks are likely to succeed.   8)  O0

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

PostApocalypticJake

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 08 January 2015, 14:49:38 »
Thanks so much again for all the thorough responses, using it in conjunction with other shots on the same turn simply hadn't occurred to me, somehow. Really glad this forum is here and still so active. : )

PostApocalypticJake

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2015, 15:00:10 »
So then, when using TSEMP against a non-mech unit, if it gives that unit a second order token, does that unit take pushing dmg? Accepting that the most often best use of TSEMP (I now know) is to shut down a mech to make it an easy target.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2015, 17:40:14 »
Yes.  Non-mech units will take a click of damage when a second token is applied.  They will remain "Pushed" until the tokens are removed at the end of the owning player's turn during the "Resting" phase. 

This is even useful to know when applied to infantry equipped with Reflective Armor.  Pushing token is still used even if the Energy Weapon does no damage, and "Pushing" damage still works.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Register