Author Topic: Down at the holler--The Filtvelt Coalition Faction Page  (Read 33153 times)

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
Re: Down at the holler--The Filtvelt Coalition Faction Page
« Reply #90 on: 11 September 2013, 14:15:05 »
It does seem Malgrotta is less than happy we've made our independence stick...
Maker of big things.

shadow_walker

• Master Sergeant
  • CBT Player (Ret.)
« Reply #91 on: 11 September 2013, 17:33:27 »
Are filtvelt still poverty stricken and noneducational stereotyped?
Junction City, Kansas (noun) a parasitic town that leeches off the sore underbelly of a local military base.

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #92 on: 11 September 2013, 17:35:14 »
Nope. Think Caiman Islands of the Periphery

I think that sums it up

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #93 on: 11 September 2013, 17:46:44 »
Nope. Think Caiman Islands of the Periphery

I think that sums it up
Ohhhh yea!
Welcome ladies and gentleman to the new and improved Coalition!
Maker of big things.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #94 on: 11 September 2013, 20:56:33 »
"Prime Minister Berko Okeke forced through tax and spending increases that allowed funding of
primary school construction and staffing, as well as small planetary
universities to be opened on each of the Coalition’s worlds"

Read it and weep, ladies and gents :D
Made by HikageMaru

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #95 on: 11 September 2013, 21:49:50 »
Looks like the enduring alliance with the CP and the FoR is dong wonders for the FC.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #96 on: 11 September 2013, 22:45:27 »
some other interesting bits..

from the Fedcom Periphery march Militia intro on pg 84
Further unrest has come from the decision to shave equipment from each regiment to
better equip the Filtvelt Citizen Battalions that started arriving on Anjin Muerto early this year.
Marshal Nick Hawthorn has raised his concerns to both Field Marshal Carlton and Duke Marsin,
but has been given little more in response than their expectations that he make the best of a
bad situation.

it looks like Filtvelt is sending a lot more than just the Thumper's out to help the Fedcom.. and they're getting the Fedcom to foot the bill.  O0

and on pg 189:
Quikscell on Broken Wheel has expanded its production lines—once devoted primarily to producing the
Pegasus Hover Tank—to manufacture LRM Carriers, SRM Carriers,
Manticore battle tanks, and even APCs of all types.

yikes.. i think Filtvelt pulled a Kowloon here... the days of the "under equipped rag tag militia" seem to have been left long behind..

jeyar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #97 on: 11 September 2013, 22:47:18 »
Since some people say that the CP is the home of the heart of the TC, does that make the FC the home of the heart of the... older FC?  O:-)

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 15 September 2013, 09:08:09 »
Honestly don't quite get the notation in FM: 3145.

Have we gone DOWN in Mech Strength from 3085 (When we had, notionally, 3 Regiments, 1 Battalion)

Filtvelt seems to be the only faction without a "BattleMech Strength" placer.

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #99 on: 15 September 2013, 20:54:21 »
Honestly don't quite get the notation in FM: 3145.

Have we gone DOWN in Mech Strength from 3085 (When we had, notionally, 3 Regiments, 1 Battalion)

Filtvelt seems to be the only faction without a "BattleMech Strength" placer.

I'm fairly confident in saying that is an error, i don't see why this would be the only nation without battlemech strength and FM3145 shows that a 4th Filtvelt Citizens Militia with 3 battalions (not all 'mech though) has been added.

Also, the Thumpers are now called a regiment rather than a battalion so they've increased in size too (although i'm not sure if this increase is in 'mechs).
« Last Edit: 15 September 2013, 21:04:27 by tapdancingbeavers »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 15 September 2013, 21:41:53 »
the Militia is also said to be combined arms, and the limited descriptions we have indicate a heavy vehicle focus for the militia. only the thumpers seem to have a mainly battlemech focus.

this makes sense actually, when you consider that the quiksell plant on broken Wheel has apparently expanded massively and make manticores, LRM and SRM carriers, and APC's as well as the pegasus scout hovercraft.. but the mech facility is described as having a slow rate of production, though it was upgraded to handle regular mechs.

presumably they've built their militia around local products, and that's mainly going to be Vee's.

and the Thumper's are described as having used the money they got from hiring out to other worlds in anti-pirate campaigns to build up their force, that's why they are a regiment now. and their special trait is being able to use Fedsun's mechs in unit building, unlike the militia's which mainly have combined arms based traits. so odds are the Thumpers are still mostly mech users. though during their jaunt helping the fedsuns apparently they brough along a bunch of volunteers from the coalition as part of a expeditionary militia force.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2013, 21:46:08 by glitterboy2098 »

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #101 on: 16 September 2013, 07:58:15 »
Except FM: 3085 said they style their units around RCT lines and it describes the 2nd Militia as
Assigned a specialty by the Coalition High Command, the Second has been drilling extensively in urban combat. The infantry regiments have excelled, but the ’Mech units still have far to go.

Regiments... plural.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 16 September 2013, 10:34:10 »
right. combined arms. for an RCT thats at minimum..
124 mechs
372+ vehicles (three regiments)
3360+ infantry (three regiments )
40 aerospace fighters (2 wings)
one battalion artillery

with more vee's, fighters, infantry, and artillery being typical.

of course, 1st militia is described as being an LCT type formation, which would make it:
52 mechs
240 vehicles
and since Filtvelt doesn't use battle armor the battle Armor regiment is likely replaced with multiple regiments of conventional infantry.

in both cases, the mech strength of the force is minimal compared to its over all strength.

and notice is says "infantry regiments".. but only "mech units".. this combined with the LCT description of the 1st militia would support an LCT style organization for all the militia. minimal mech forces, very heavy on vehicles and support units.

as i said.. the evidence supports Filtvelt pulling a Kowloon, or as close as you can get in canon Btech.

that said, i've posted up a question in the 'ask the lead developers' section in hopes of getting a definitive answer.: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33275.msg774516.html#msg774516
« Last Edit: 16 September 2013, 10:49:29 by glitterboy2098 »

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #103 on: 16 September 2013, 12:18:28 »
Filtvelt does have some BA. They bought... two battalions (?) back right after independence through mercenary fronts. I can't remember an exact source, but it's in one of the JHS books.
Maker of big things.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #104 on: 17 September 2013, 12:28:19 »
Plus were they not listed as Spectre users?  Throw on the 'BA' for third rate factions also includes PA(L) suits, specifically industrial ones, then you have more options . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 17 September 2013, 17:18:09 »
i just can't see them fielding multiple regiments of it as a standard infantry approach, the way the Davions do. special forces type roles? sure. support formations for regular infantry battalions? maybe. replacing conventional infantry? i doubt it.

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #106 on: 17 September 2013, 17:26:22 »
Oh I agree. I would expect it to butress conventional infantry as support formations and attached to specific, special units. Perhaps like Niops as well, where it protects important installations.

Oh And I think it was Inner Sphere Standard for what the purchased.
Maker of big things.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 17 September 2013, 22:02:26 »
and we have an answer to the organizational question.. or at least half of one..

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33275.msg774516.html#msg774516

looks like Light Combat Teams are what the militia organization is similar to..

so probably about a battalion of mechs, a reinforced regiment of Vee's, artillery support, and (by the mention in the FM) a couple regiments of conventional infantry.

if i had to guess, the mech units would be mostly filtvelt built units (Hounds, Toro's, Dervish's) in the militia, with a few of the former Davion units from before independance scattered around.
the Vehicle units would be companies of Manticore MBT's supported by Cavalry units of Pegasus Hovertanks, with fire support provided by LRM and SRM carriers. the exact mix would likely vary.
Infantry i'd imagine would be a blend of foot, motor, and mechanized.. probably using the basic APC's and Heavy APC's quiksell makes, as well as locally made light vehicles. i'd imagine most are rifle or MG platoons, with some SRM support. can't see them being too fancy with infantry, even if they are rich now.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #108 on: 17 September 2013, 22:24:12 »
I get the impression there's quite a bit of trade between the FC, Randis, CP, and Fronc Reaches, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them fielding at least small quantities of anything produced in those states.  Maybe the TC, MoC and MH too.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #109 on: 17 September 2013, 22:33:16 »
I could go for some Hawk Wolfs!
But yea, as an emergent power with a seeming good economic base, I could see almost anything not DCMS or CCAF in their forces. I would reject Sea Fox's visiting out of hand either. 
Maker of big things.

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #110 on: 17 September 2013, 22:34:16 »
looks like Light Combat Teams are what the militia organization is similar to..

so probably about a battalion of mechs, a reinforced regiment of Vee's, artillery support, and (by the mention in the FM) a couple regiments of conventional infantry.

Given FM3085 has Filtvelt at 3 regiments and 1 battalion battlemech strength and FM3145, although not listing battlemech strength at all, seems to portray the nation as improving in wealth and influence despite losing some planets i think a battalion of 'mechs is far too low.  It would also seem low compared to other nations like the Fronc Reaches.

edit: or are you just referring to organisation?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #111 on: 17 September 2013, 22:36:50 »
Well, a battalion for each Militia command, plus The Thumpers would give us two and change. I don't think it would be out of bounds for 3 regiments.
Maker of big things.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 17 September 2013, 22:41:28 »
I get the impression there's quite a bit of trade between the FC, Randis, CP, and Fronc Reaches, so it wouldn't surprise me to see them fielding at least small quantities of anything produced in those states.  Maybe the TC, MoC and MH too.
so Periphery General is available, with the occasional national specific unit from a generation or two prior being not impossible? sounds like a good idea.

i do think though that the Vehicle units are going to be mostly Quiksell products.. why else mention that the broken wheel plant was upgraded and expanded? plus look at the units mentioned. manticore's are some of the best cheap MBT's in the game, you have LRM and SRM carriers for support, Pegasus hover's for cavalry/scouting, and APC's for shlepping infantry around. about the only types not really covered is VTOL units and long range artillery. and frankly, i would not be surprised ot find out some introtech VTOL's and towed light artillery systems are being made there but not mentioned.

Well, a battalion for each Militia command, plus The Thumpers would give us two and change. I don't think it would be out of bounds for 3 regiments.
reinforced battalions for a fedcom LCT, so close to 3 regiments worth total isn't too hard. especially if you figure the various corporations in the coalition would likely have small merc units for site security that could be seconded/hired into national service.

keep in mind the coalition didn't really inherit many mechs to start with (thus why they hired the Thumpers), and their own mech factory is described by FM3145 as being 'slow' to produce new mechs. odds are attrition would keep them from expanding their mech forces much domestically, and with the Thumpers absorbing most of the funds for buying new ones from outside..

on the otherhand their non-mech forces seem to be much much larger.. and certainly better equipped.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2013, 22:59:56 by glitterboy2098 »

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #113 on: 18 September 2013, 00:04:48 »

Except that FM3085 says over 3 regiments of 'mechs and FM3145 shows that Filtvelt is now better off.  If FM3085 is correct i'd expect the missing battlemech strength in FM3145 to have them at around five regiments of 'mechs which is more than Fronc but still less than the more major periphery states.  Just an opinion but i really don't see them having less than three regiments of 'mechs given the information we have.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #114 on: 18 September 2013, 00:19:21 »
Except that FM3085 says over 3 regiments of 'mechs and FM3145 shows that Filtvelt is now better off.  If FM3085 is correct i'd expect the missing battlemech strength in FM3145 to have them at around five regiments of 'mechs which is more than Fronc but still less than the more major periphery states.  Just an opinion but i really don't see them having less than three regiments of 'mechs given the information we have.

better off finacially.. but remember FASAnomics. plus their armor formations are many orders of magnitude better equipped now.. Tanks (especially really good tanks like manticores) can make a huge difference, even if the mech forces don't expand.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #115 on: 18 September 2013, 00:51:33 »
Given FM3085 has Filtvelt at 3 regiments and 1 battalion battlemech strength and FM3145, although not listing battlemech strength at all, seems to portray the nation as improving in wealth and influence despite losing some planets i think a battalion of 'mechs is far too low.  It would also seem low compared to other nations like the Fronc Reaches.

edit: or are you just referring to organisation?

10 battalions, hmm?

subtracting out The Thumpers leaves 7.  There's 4 FCM units.  That divides out to roughly 5 companies of mechs apiece.  There's one extra company to be parted out.  Pretty consistent with the LCT scheme, if on the higher end for mechs per unit, which I wouldn't have expected.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #116 on: 18 September 2013, 02:47:31 »
Well, do not forget some of their strength has been leeched for the expeditionary forces to the FedSuns.  Some of that could be mech equipped, though definitely not as many as the vehicle units.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 18 September 2013, 08:18:04 »
better off finacially.. but remember FASAnomics. plus their armor formations are many orders of magnitude better equipped now.. Tanks (especially really good tanks like manticores) can make a huge difference, even if the mech forces don't expand.

FASAnomics is why i compared Filtvelt to other nations and going by comparison under 3 regiments of 'mechs is far too low, that would put them below the strength of the Fronc Reaches and bottom of 'mech strength for the larger periphery nations.  Given the write-ups of the two nations that just doesn't seem to fit.  Given battlemech strength seems to have been left out maybe this could be answered in ask the writers?
« Last Edit: 18 September 2013, 08:20:23 by tapdancingbeavers »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 18 September 2013, 15:08:29 »
keep in mind.. 3 regiments of mechs, but something like 6+ regiments of some very effective combat vehicles. most other nations the size of Filtvelt don't have much in the way of vehicles for frontline use, much less absolute beasts like the Manticore heavy tank or the LRM and SRM carriers. i mean, shoot.. a 3025 era manticore is a grand dragon on treads (just with better armor!).. and the upgrade versions are even nastier.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2013, 15:10:53 by glitterboy2098 »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #119 on: 27 December 2019, 14:18:32 »
Folks of Fitvelt, do we have any information on paint schemes used by the regulars, or by the militia? Many thanks!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Register