Author Topic: Fan XTRO: The Society  (Read 63628 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Fan XTRO: The Society
« Reply #120 on: 07 February 2021, 19:31:34 »
Put the fan manual stuff under the photo?
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #121 on: 08 February 2021, 06:18:29 »
Put the fan manual stuff under the photo?

That's actually a really good suggestion.  It looks top heavy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #122 on: 09 February 2021, 07:03:04 »
I can't wait for it come out.  Gunnery is a good writer.  :D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #123 on: 09 February 2021, 15:12:26 »
Quick question, what do you guys think of the attached cover?

I really love your work on the Society. The Coreships are something Battletech desperately needs given their ability and history of blowing themselves back to the stone ages. I've studied covers and I have lots to say but it's just my opinion. A simple cover has it's own message.

I swear by the rule of 7. You can't have more than 7 elements on a cover or add. Exactly what makes up an element is complicated but generally, any dominating image or line of text but on the back a paragraph can be a single element. Humans have trouble with image recognition and memory after 7 distinct elements. It's why phone numbers were 7 digits before cell phones.

Your covers clock in at a 3-4 while most battletech TROs and Field Manuals covers hit a 6. Their books usually have a number and company logo. It busies up the cover and I think that gives it a more professional look. You could give your books an arbitrary number, or find out how the BTT numbering system works and assign a number. You could also throw up a nod to Catalyst Games, based on material by, or something like that.

I think the Society Field Manual cover could use 1 more piece of art. A small logo or some kind of symbol, outside of the main image. And I would add two elements to the bottom, perhaps on the left and right. One could be the symbol.

Cover Titles today love being busy. They use raised edges, gradients, images behind text, and usually have a few elements inside them. Take a look at the 35 on this page with the Warhammer in front of it. We've got a gradient inner edge. Raised edge, Gradient outer edge. Gradient filler image with scratches. Inner Drop shadow at about a 45 degree angel. Plus the warhammer.

If you are interested, I'd love to take a shot at one of your covers. I'm not an artist like the fellows making the paintings, but I've done a lot of assembly of elements to produce covers and I'd enjoy the practice.
Mark Charke

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #124 on: 10 February 2021, 16:19:13 »

Thank everyone for your feedback, it really helps. I have shifted some of the red back to black to create the illusion of more elements and moved some text down.

If you are interested, I'd love to take a shot at one of your covers. I'm not an artist like the fellows making the paintings, but I've done a lot of assembly of elements to produce covers and I'd enjoy the practice.
Sure I am very interested in seeing what can be done, I have attached the current altered cover page (open office file).
Also please let us know to produce those effects, me and many others are eager to learn.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #125 on: 10 February 2021, 20:30:53 »
I made a cover based on the classic style and then decided to revise it to the modern style so there are two. Hopefully the link works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hy5fJBu8xm5WxAqw8
Mark Charke

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #126 on: 10 February 2021, 20:47:18 »

Wow those look great.... :drool:
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #127 on: 10 February 2021, 22:50:42 »
Thank you. If you want to PM me your email I can fire you off the originals so you can use them. (Do you have Photoshop?)
Mark Charke

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #128 on: 11 February 2021, 00:20:50 »
Looks great! :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 11 February 2021, 07:32:39 »
I like the 2nd one myself but with The Society name placed where it is on the 1st sample.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 11 February 2021, 08:35:12 »
I like the 2nd one myself but with The Society name placed where it is on the 1st sample.

Seconded. Otherwise it looks concealing.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #131 on: 12 February 2021, 00:14:21 »
I really love your work on the Society. The Coreships are something Battletech desperately needs given their ability and history of blowing themselves back to the stone ages. I've studied covers and I have lots to say but it's just my opinion. A simple cover has it's own message.

I swear by the rule of 7. You can't have more than 7 elements on a cover or add. Exactly what makes up an element is complicated but generally, any dominating image or line of text but on the back a paragraph can be a single element. Humans have trouble with image recognition and memory after 7 distinct elements. It's why phone numbers were 7 digits before cell phones.

Your covers clock in at a 3-4 while most battletech TROs and Field Manuals covers hit a 6. Their books usually have a number and company logo. It busies up the cover and I think that gives it a more professional look. You could give your books an arbitrary number, or find out how the BTT numbering system works and assign a number. You could also throw up a nod to Catalyst Games, based on material by, or something like that.

I think the Society Field Manual cover could use 1 more piece of art. A small logo or some kind of symbol, outside of the main image. And I would add two elements to the bottom, perhaps on the left and right. One could be the symbol.

Cover Titles today love being busy. They use raised edges, gradients, images behind text, and usually have a few elements inside them. Take a look at the 35 on this page with the Warhammer in front of it. We've got a gradient inner edge. Raised edge, Gradient outer edge. Gradient filler image with scratches. Inner Drop shadow at about a 45 degree angel. Plus the warhammer.

Where have you been all my life?
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #132 on: 13 February 2021, 05:57:42 »
Been crazy busy, but I am going to send MainGunnery the originals. Then he can adjust them around but moving the title around is really simple, so when it's not 3AM and I should be in bed, I'll play with it a bit.

Where have I been? Love the comment. Well, I've been writing for a long time, plus a million other things a starving author has to learn because he can't hire anyone to do them. These covers were just photo-manipulation. Layout work can only be as good as the art.
Mark Charke

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #133 on: 13 February 2021, 23:16:39 »
Where have I been? Love the comment. Well, I've been writing for a long time, plus a million other things a starving author has to learn because he can't hire anyone to do them. These covers were just photo-manipulation. Layout work can only be as good as the art.

Yeah, made the first decent cover for one of my own fan projects, it was like, <EVIL CACKLE> - "PERFECT!"

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 14 February 2021, 09:09:02 »
Christ I'm going to have to talk to you lol.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #135 on: 15 February 2021, 10:32:10 »
I feel we seriously need a pinned thread and YouTube tutorials to help people with these types of projects.  Learning how to do a good cover/ lay out would be so cool.

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #136 on: 15 February 2021, 12:33:25 »
Your number one step for cover design is to look at other covers. You can look at old covers to actually look at what to kind of avoid, and new covers to see where things have transitioned. 80's covers loved painted art and titles. As digital technology became available people fell in love with Stroke. Drop Shadow and Gradient. Today, it's easy to embed pictures so covers are way more complicated.

The fun part of covers is when you finish and ask for feedback and someone goes, meh, it's boring. And that's when you restart.
Mark Charke

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #137 on: 22 February 2021, 00:32:55 »
It makes me think that some WOB remnants in the IS found their way into the Society.

I feel darkly amused by the implications

I have that in my AUverse Azeroth, home of my Clan Iron Dolphins...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #138 on: 22 February 2021, 06:42:57 »
I have that in my AUverse Azeroth, home of my Clan Iron Dolphins...

TT

Or Vice Versa, I'm not picky.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #139 on: 22 February 2021, 10:59:59 »
Or Vice Versa, I'm not picky.

*Looks around awkwardly*  Or both heh heh.

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #140 on: 22 February 2021, 23:42:03 »
I have mixed feelings about WOB in the Society. The Society exists trying to get out of servitude to the warrior class. The WOB is a fanatical warrior class looking to subjugate everyone. Still, they both have an obsession with technology which could make strange bed-fellows.
Mark Charke

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #141 on: 23 February 2021, 12:14:26 »
My setting has the Society barely escaping running ragtag fromy Iron Dolphin Watch. WoB shows up on scene and it's like Hey where here, what's next Master? Rebuild...

So they start off duping the systems with " upgrades " for materials. Common sense is never look at gift horse in the mouth but you should anyway, but you didn't.

Comes along a Society ship doing normal " Clan " things of being innocent, and one meets the other and hit it off. WoBM wants clantech, Society wants to be less pressed, so it acts as the Word's liason. Meanwhile hiding in plain sight. . .

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #142 on: 23 February 2021, 12:30:27 »
My setting has the Society barely escaping running ragtag fromy Iron Dolphin Watch. WoB shows up on scene and it's like Hey where here, what's next Master? Rebuild...

So they start off duping the systems with " upgrades " for materials. Common sense is never look at gift horse in the mouth but you should anyway, but you didn't.

Comes along a Society ship doing normal " Clan " things of being innocent, and one meets the other and hit it off. WoBM wants clantech, Society wants to be less pressed, so it acts as the Word's liason. Meanwhile hiding in plain sight. . .

TT

One thing is always for sure: They are both looking for the best way to stab the other in the back. And neither will hesitate for a second to present the other to the Clans as a distraction.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #143 on: 23 February 2021, 18:06:26 »
I'm updating...

New founding in progress...

New version 2.0 inbound, going to merge the two threads and rehash under that with skip button to the new version.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #144 on: 02 February 2022, 20:05:52 »

I have found a PDF editor that allows me to get Battle Armor Fusillade on the RS.

Now this solution should work also with the units using Vehicular Endo Steel, however I have not used those at all the past few years, the prototype versions with normal structure worked just fine for me. Now should I still make those RS or retcon Vehicular Endo Steel out of existence?

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #145 on: 02 February 2022, 20:44:33 »
I have found a PDF editor that allows me to get Battle Armor Fusillade on the RS.

Now this solution should work also with the units using Vehicular Endo Steel, however I have not used those at all the past few years, the prototype versions with normal structure worked just fine for me. Now should I still make those RS or retcon Vehicular Endo Steel out of existence?

I would RETCON it out of existence.  The thought was nice.  However, vehicles don't have a structure like 'Mech's would need.  Maybe a light metal alloy for the hull and then armor plat bolted on line modern vehicles to include the Abrams and Bradley (yes they don't look like it but you can strip them down).

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #146 on: 12 February 2022, 20:54:23 »

What a job, the record sheets have been checked, updated, art added, and packed together into a single file (see opening post). I have added a couple of new record sheets for 3150 (including a Hammerhead variant), for a grand total of 120 record sheets.

Now off to update the XTRO and then try to use the current momentum to get the FM over the finish line.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #147 on: 12 February 2022, 21:12:23 »
sweet

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #148 on: 13 February 2022, 00:16:39 »
Tagged again.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #149 on: 16 February 2022, 22:20:39 »
Awesome brother good job.