Author Topic: Unseen Warhammer - cockpit glass?  (Read 3130 times)

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
  • "Now, let's add a couple of happy Death Commandos"
Unseen Warhammer - cockpit glass?
« on: 15 June 2012, 13:45:34 »
Ok, so I've begun painting my unseen Warhammer with the assumption that there is no actual cockpit glass - the pilot "sees" the outside world through sensors, "radar" etc.

However, I started to second guess myself and tried to find the answer for myself. It seems the original M*****s art for the T******k depicts the cockpit glass as being on the "chin" or "nose" of the head. The Battledroids/Battletech (ed 2 & 3) boxed set art kind of implies the glass is more on the top of head, and the 3025 TRO doesn't really depict cockpit glass at all?

So where do you think the cockpit glass is if at all?
"I can't save his life, it's too embarrassing!" - Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC SSC

ExtremeBloodAspUser

• Master Sergeant
  • "The tapeworm in my wrist tells me to burn things"
Re: Unseen Warhammer - cockpit glass?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 14:34:36 »
http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/macross.htm

Here? if that link worked. Ok the link sorta works but just click on the first selection(in yellow) and the T******K is the fourth selection down. Even has Line art for the cockpit. 
« Last Edit: 15 June 2012, 14:37:28 by ExtremeBloodAspUser »
"I crush little childrens dreams everyday...Ralph your not a kangaroo...Ralph your also not a trophy....."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 14:46:29 »
Just as a side note, the words "Macross", "Tomohawk", even "Officer's Pod Glaug" are totally acceptable on the forums  O:-)

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2012, 14:54:15 »
Far as it goes in the original source that "visor" glass was supposed to be covering a big movable camera lense not a direct view canopy.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2012, 16:08:12 »
I've interpreted it to be below the "nose".

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2012, 17:02:21 »
Just as a side note, the words "Macross", "Tomohawk", even "Officer's Pod Glaug" are totally acceptable on the forums  O:-)

W.

And self-censoring like that isn't, even when it's for comedic effect.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2012, 17:07:28 »
I have always thought it had cockpit glass, and that it's located here:

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2012, 17:55:16 »
The verdict is in. Thanks for all your help, especially Klarg with the diagram/awesome mini pic. Thank you also to the moderators for keeping us on the straight and narrow!

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2012, 19:18:12 »
I have always thought it had cockpit glass, and that it's located here:
There were cut-away drawing in Macross artbooks showing that the "glass" has a camera behind it then a bulkhead between the camera and cockpit.  And the interior cockpit views showed big display screens with no direct views, just three small backup periscopes.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2012, 09:49:32 »
There were cut-away drawing in Macross artbooks showing that the "glass" has a camera behind it then a bulkhead between the camera and cockpit.  And the interior cockpit views showed big display screens with no direct views, just three small backup periscopes.

That would make sense. Many Macross designs seem to assume that the cockpit is set deep inside the torso with no windows. I think the two little barrels above the cockpit/sensor glass are guns in Macross, but they serve no obvious purpose in Battletech. (I think the old Warhammer Blueprint from FASA labels them as some kind of IR sensors, but I can't check while I'm at work.)

The verdict is in. Thanks for all your help, especially Klarg with the diagram/awesome mini pic. Thank you also to the moderators for keeping us on the straight and narrow!

You are welcome, although I really need to repaint the search light on that Warhammer one of these days.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2012, 10:00:16 by klarg1 »

StuartYee

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2012, 12:50:14 »
...... (I think the old Warhammer Blueprint from FASA labels them as some kind of IR sensors, but I can't check while I'm at work.)

I found said blueprints online recently. They are indeed sensors with a "Do Not Paint" tag on them. I have therefore painted them a steel color.

You are welcome, although I really need to repaint the search light on that Warhammer one of these days.

Just finished painting it yesterday. Will add decals soonish and post. Thanks again!