Author Topic: Skunkwerks and Java JDK problem  (Read 6930 times)

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
Skunkwerks and Java JDK problem
« on: 26 January 2011, 09:25:33 »
For my computer science class I had to install Java JDK and Net Beans, and now Skunkwerks will not open. Anyone know how to fix this?

Megamek still works fine, though.
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 10:20:12 by ONE_HELLCAT »

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
Re: Skunkwerks and Java JDK problem
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 10:50:12 »
For my computer science class I had to install Java JDK and Net Beans, and now Skunkwerks will not open. Anyone know how to fix this?

Hey there, check /logs/ssw_log.txt for the error message that occurred.  You can send that to me (skyhigh@solarisskunkwerks.com) and I'll be happy to help out.

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 11:58:45 »
I don't seem to have a log folder or file.

Although, I did find a file called hs_err_pid7364.log. Is this the same thing?
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 12:14:05 by ONE_HELLCAT »

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2011, 14:11:37 »
Nope that isn't it.  Look inside the directory where you have SSW.  You'll see directories like /data, /docs etc...there should also be a /logs folder.

Also make sure that you have the most recent version of SSW, we are up to 0.6.73.

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2011, 14:51:30 »
I am using the latest version, and I just re-downloaded it, and there's no logs folder. Whenever I try to start skunkwerks, I get a blacked out window for a split second. I'm not sure if I can help you diagnose the problem anymore than that.

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2011, 15:07:43 »
Very strange, I just opened SSW and I get a log file.  I also have the Java JDK and Netbeans installed and that does not interfere with my running of the program.  Make sure your Java VM is up-to-date http://www.java.com/  maybe the JDK is old or something?

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 15:28:23 »
That is a possibility since the JDK was bundled with Netbeans from Oracle's site, and I can't say how old the bundle might be. I'll try a more up-to-date version and report back.

Torren_Starfallen

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 16:16:55 »
I don't seem to have a log folder or file.

Although, I did find a file called hs_err_pid7364.log. Is this the same thing?

The pid is a java dump file. What is the date on it?  If you have multiple pid filesthe jvm could be crashing durning program launch.
MegaMek, MekWars, MegaMekLab developer

MekWars
MegaMek
MegaMekLab

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 19:22:24 »
So updating the JDK didn't help. And after further review, I found that the dump file was for something else. Anyway, should I just completely uninstall Java and reinstall it?

Torren_Starfallen

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 22:08:44 »
Highly possible you're missing something.  Might want to start a new install in another folder.

What version of java are you running and what OS?

MekWars
MegaMek
MegaMekLab

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2011, 10:26:03 »
Newest one you can get from their site with 32 bit Windows 7 home premium. Like I said, it was working fine until I downloaded and installed the JDK Netbeans bundle (which has the most up-to-date JDK). The only thing I can think of is that I didn't install it right or something.

If I were to uninstall Java, which of the following do I uninstall? I have three different Java programs showing up on my uninstall list.
Java DB 10.5.3.0
Java(TM) 6 Update 23
Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6 Update 23
« Last Edit: 27 January 2011, 10:31:55 by ONE_HELLCAT »

Torren_Starfallen

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2011, 12:06:57 »
the last one in the list is the jdk.  Back in the day it was called an sdk, software developers kit. If it still doesn't work the uninstall the db for grins.

MekWars
MegaMek
MegaMekLab

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2011, 12:42:25 »
Well Skunkwerks is working now, but don't I need the JDK for Netbeans?

Torren_Starfallen

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2011, 13:41:32 »
Yes you do. Personally I'd use eclipse for java development.

I the jdk again. Then open up the ide of your choice download the source for ssw and then run it in debug mode. Yeah I know over your head but george should be able to help you with getting the codeand starting debug depending on the ide you chose

MekWars
MegaMek
MegaMekLab

ONE_HELLCAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2011, 14:15:04 »
The debugging doesn't seem necessary now. After reinstalling the JDK, Skunkwerks works again. Somewhat disappointing as I was hoping to actually debug it and learn something. I don't have much faith my Java class will teach me much. For one, my school's IT department forgot to install Netbeans on the school computers so we haven't had the chance to do anything in Java for three weeks.

Thanks for all the help, though.

Torren_Starfallen

• Recruit
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2011, 17:31:00 »
Glad to here you got it working. Go ahead and download the code anyways that's the best way to learn and if you want to learn what not to do the download the megameklab code as well 8)

MekWars
MegaMek
MegaMekLab

Skyhigh

• Master Sergeant
    • Solaris Skunkwerks
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2011, 16:01:24 »
Glad to hear it is working now.  That is definitely a strange error.  #P

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2011, 17:32:31 »
I am using the latest version, and I just re-downloaded it, and there's no logs folder. Whenever I try to start skunkwerks, I get a blacked out window for a split second. I'm not sure if I can help you diagnose the problem anymore than that.

I have this exact same problem. I have the latest version of Java and SSW...I've tried deleting and reinstalling both but it didn't help.

I also lack a log folder. I don't know anything about Java or programming. Anybody know how to fix it?

swang

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2011, 19:09:12 »
That little black screen means that it's trying to run Java, and probably can't find it.

1) open a command console (from windows menu, select run... and enter 'cmd' without quotes and press enter.)
2) type in the command 'java -fullversion'
3) type in the command 'path'
4) you can right click on the window and 'mark' to copy the results of the 2 commands, paste them into a PM to me.

The reason that you don't get a log is because Java hasn't started yet.  SSW is basically a jar file, and an associated default action is most likely 'java -jar SSW.jar'  if this default action does not work, then you will get a flicker of the black window and nothing will happen.  The easiest thing to do (if you don't work with java too much) is simply to uninstall java, and reinstall the latest one from Oracle.  For those experience in working on the command line or with Java, it might be relatively easy to debug on their own...

Corrinald

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 11 February 2011, 20:27:54 »

It says java is not recognized as an internal or external command.  I may be doing something wrong.

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2011, 22:43:23 »
It says java is not recognized as an internal or external command.  I may be doing something wrong.
That means java has not been correctly installed.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2011, 00:18:34 »
I've found that sometimes java creates a path, and sometimes it doesn't. when it creates a path, it means that on the command line, wherever you are, you can use "java" as a command. otherwise, you have to specify something like C:\program files\java\bin\java.exe to make it execute.  Havent figured out why sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem