Author Topic: Jump infantry/BA from VTOLs  (Read 1221 times)

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
Jump infantry/BA from VTOLs
« on: 11 April 2019, 21:56:04 »
Got a game coming up and I'm thinking of using battle armor or jump infantry deployed from VTOLs. The rules don't seem to specify motive type in the Dropping Troops section. Are jump capable infantry/BA treated like Zipline Drops or do they have special rules?

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
Re: Jump infantry/BA from VTOLs
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2019, 17:36:06 »
The Zipline Drop rules state: "The zipline drop is specific to dropping conventional foot- or jump-based infantry units and battle armor from an airborne VTOL air vehicle." As such they would seem to be the correct rules to use if you want to deploy infantry from a moving VTOLs.

The other option is to disembark the infantry from VTOLs after landing using the Transporting Infantry rules.

The VTOLs & infantry would be harder to hit during a zipline drop the tradeoff being the infantry become vulnerable to scatter & damage if the drop roll fails. Transporting infantry is also part of the standard rules set, Zipline Drop is an advanced option.

Crackerb0x

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
  • Alpha Strike Apologist
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2019, 15:37:13 »
According to p32 of the Alpha Strike rulebook, jump capable infantry or Battle Armor or infantry with the PAR special may dismount a VTOL that is in tbe air

SC_Dave

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2019, 23:26:56 »
jump capable infantry or Battle Armor or infantry with the PAR special may dismount a VTOL that is in tbe air

Thanks for bringing that bit of useful information to my attention. It had slipped from my memory, possibly due to the errata "A dismounting unit has a TMM of 0, but is considered to have used ground movement". I think that had me thinking jump capable units couldn't jump out of their transports.

Register