Author Topic: The Dragon's Lair  (Read 188299 times)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Re: The Dragon's Lair
« Reply #90 on: 06 June 2011, 15:09:43 »
Looking at TRO3085's ONN section and XTRO Kurita i'm more confident that the No-Dachi is still in production post jihad.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #91 on: 10 September 2011, 02:25:36 »
question for peoples that might know more than me. I am setting up a Sword of Light company, early jihad, and I am wondering the likely-hood of it being a C3 Company. I figure that the Genyosha, Ryuken, Ghost regiments, and Legions of Vega are all moderate to heavy C3 users, but my reading of FM:DC and FM:Updates are inconclusive about the SoL regiments. Do the SoLs use much C3?
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #92 on: 10 September 2011, 09:30:23 »
The answer is more complicated.  Even within the Sword of Light brigade there are those that ardently rejected any and all reforms to the DCMS, including c3, such as the 2nd Sword of Light.

Ryuken regiments seem like good candidates, given their Dragoon roots.  Sword of Light and Genyosha regiments seem (personal opinion here, not fact) to be more about the individual prowess of their warriors.  After all, the Sword of Light and Genyosha regiments are the hardened elite of the DCMS, as well as the most prestigious assignments.  Typically, if it's a high profile unit they traffic in dumb.  Conversly, the Ryuken, Legions of Vega and a few Ghost Regiments are held in low regard but are the banner carriers of Teddy K's changes, including c3.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #93 on: 10 September 2011, 13:13:19 »
Genyosha is only as old as the Ryukens are. Its only distinction from those is that it was founded by an actual Kurita. But Yorinaga built it as a foil to the Kell Hounds, so they might be more flexible in their thinking than people are necessarily willing to give them credit for.

Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #94 on: 11 September 2011, 09:57:26 »
Well, the Genyosha, looking back on it have all the history to suggest being c3 users.  The 1st Genyosha personally pledged to Teddy, was led by Hohiro and borrows tactics from the Ghost Regiments.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #95 on: 11 September 2011, 11:32:15 »
Well going by the equipment used by Sorenson's Sabres in the starterbook the 5th SoL might be flexible enough to use c3.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #96 on: 11 September 2011, 11:36:11 »
Well going by the equipment used by Sorenson's Sabres in the starterbook the 5th SoL might be flexible enough to use c3.

i think by that time they're part of the otomo
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #97 on: 11 September 2011, 21:55:36 »
Ok round two!

This is what I have right now. This is a Generic (Sword of Light) DCMS company, early to mid Jihad.
Command Lance
Tai-Sho TSH-7S
Mauler MAL-C
Grand Dragon DRG-7K
Black Hawk-KU variant X BHKU-X

Recon Lance
Bishamon BSN-4K
Jenner JR7-C3
Jenner JR7-C2
Spider SDR-7KC

And this is the one I am having problems with. For this project I am trying to use mech minis that I already own (and I am tapped out of unassigned DCMS signature mechs), so what I have right now is:

"Other" Lance
Grand Dragon DRG-9KC
Catapult CPLT-K5
Daikyu DAI-02
Wight WGT-1LAW/SC3

I am pondering turning this into a more traditional fire support lance by replacing the Grand Dragon with a Naginata (that I would have to buy) and changing the Daikyu to the DAI-01 model (swapping the Medium laser for a C3 Slave). Which sounds better, the hodge podge "Almost a Heavy Cav" lance or an actual "Fire Support Lance"? More drastic opinions are welcome, as long as I don't have to buy too many new minis  #P.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: 04 August 2012, 11:48:48 »
I've just been looking at FM3085 again, do you think the way the 1st New Samarkand Regulars are organised could become the norm for District Regular Forces?

If they DCMS split the other District Regulars they would increase the number of worlds that could be garrisoned.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #99 on: 04 August 2012, 23:15:38 »
I'm still trying to figure out what exactly its saying the composition is.

I originally though it was composed of combined arms battalions, with a company each of `Mechs, BA and Armor, but now that I've looked over it a few times I'm thinking it its comprised of combined arms companies, each with a lance of `Mechs, BA and Armor.

If its the second...sure, the unit can spread out and cover multiple worlds easily, but I'm not sold on the effectiveness. It might work for a while after the Jihad, when the other factions are just as trashed, but I'm not sure I'd count on it for much as rebuilding goes on.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #100 on: 05 August 2012, 05:43:51 »
I took it as 3 combined arms Battalions each with 1 Mech, 1 Armour and 1 Battle Armoured Infantry Companies.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #101 on: 05 August 2012, 10:28:26 »
So did I until I got to the line about "...with each company having the same overall composition." I suppose it could mean that each company is 3 lances, but it really seems more like each company has the same component parts, and just whoever is in command switches per company.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #102 on: 06 August 2012, 02:00:29 »
I think Maelwys has it right : the FM states that the nS organization is reminiscent of the ceti Hussars or Com Guards, who make use of combined arms at the smallest tactical echelons. So I'll gather individual companies will comprise a mix of mechs, vees and infantry.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 06 August 2012, 13:38:46 »
So probably good for defensive missions and raids etc.

Or another way of looking at it, perfect for the DA timeline.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #104 on: 06 August 2012, 17:52:02 »
So probably good for defensive missions and raids etc.

Or another way of looking at it, perfect for the DA timeline.

Depends on how broken up the unit is. If its a company per planet, then theoretically that's good, and might work against say, the Sub-Factions that MWDA started with, but once the Houses got involved, the smaller size is going to become a liability.

Just after the Jihad it should be fine, able to show the flag and do a little bit of everything, but as rebuilding goes on, its going to be less effective.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #105 on: 18 August 2012, 05:04:23 »
Something i thought to ask yesterday but forgot to post.

Given the use of the C3 system in the DCMS should all new designs use it or should it be abandend given the amount of ECM in use on the modern battlefield or should both designs that use and don't use the system continue to be bought by the procurement department in the post jihad era?

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 18 August 2012, 05:19:14 »
The canon trend is that the DCMS is plugging in C3 into everything, hell even DropShips.

ECM is still only 6 hexes, and a C3 spotter is going to be just close enough to get to short range. There is no reason to abandon it because of the prevalence of ECM. However, I feel ECCM should be tournament legal.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 18 August 2012, 05:32:51 »
Well thats what i thought, but looking back through TRO3085 its close to a 50/50 split and TRO:Prototypes none of the DCMS mechs use it.

This seems to imply that the DCMS is moving away from the system.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #108 on: 18 August 2012, 08:03:14 »
Whilst the DCMS has access to what is in theory a great amount of C3-equipped designs, in practice most are "get the original chassis, remove a Medium Laser, and call it a day" models as opposed to designs built from the beginning to take advantage of C3, resulting in them underperforming compared to those of other factions which are purposely designed to make use of C3.

Then there's the problem of C3 being something that flies in the face of the way the Traditionalists (not even Black Dragons, just the old guard) want to approach war. Canon-wise, most regiments prior to Bulldog only had a single C3 Company (or three Lance-level setups) in their ranks.

Compounding that you've got the wide availability of ECM and the crippling cost BV-wise (or under pretty much any other balancing metric) of setting up a worthwhile network based on what it might be capable of under optimal conditions that are never actually seen in play.

Given all that, I'd say that the Bulldog-era ratio is about as good as it's going to get. From 3062 onwards, anything with a C3 device on it is about as likely to be a FedCom machine as a DCMS one any way.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #109 on: 18 August 2012, 08:24:26 »
Well thats what i thought, but looking back through TRO3085 its close to a 50/50 split and TRO:Prototypes none of the DCMS mechs use it.

Considering their 'Mechs from Prototypes consist of a basic Gauss carrier using an unpopular chassis and an underwater combat specialty unit, I don't really see that as indicative of what the DCMS is using in the 3090s. 

As for 3085, let's take a look -
LCT-5W2 Locust - Everyone is described as fielding it.  It has C³ slave
MON-86 Mongoose - Doesn't have C³
HM-1r Hitman - A variant already exists with C³ slave.  Refit is of existing version that did not have C³ slave.
NX-80C Nyx - New C³ slave variant
SDR-7Kr/8K Spider - A variant already exists with C³ slave (7KC) which is concurrent.
JR7-C4 Jenner - Possesses boosted C³slave!
PNT-13K Panther - A variant already exists with C³ slave.
PXH-7K/8CS Phoenix Hawk - both carry C³ slave
GST-10 Ghost - Import, no C³
SKW-2F Shockwave - Import, no C³
TSN-1Cr Tessen - has C³ slave
GRF-4R Griffin - common refit throughout the Inner Sphere, no C³
SHD-3K Shadow Hawk - has C³ slave
TFT-C3 Thunder Fox - Combine variant has C³ slave.
DRG-5Nr Dragon - C³ slave
DRG-7KC Grand Dragon - possesses boosted C³ slave!
OSR-4K Ostroc - no C³
ARC-9M Archer - produced by multiple nations, no C³
DAI-01r Daikyu - possesses boosted C³ slave!
NDA-2KC No-dachi - possesses C³ slave
MAD-9W2 Marauder - possesses C³ slave
CGR-3Kr Charger - refit of chassis that originally lacked C³ slave.
HTM-28Tr Hatamoto-Chi - possesses C³ slave
VTR-Cr Victor - possesses boosted C³ slave!
BLR-K4 BattleMaster - no C³, but multiple previous versions possess C³ Masters
GUN-2ERDr Gunslinger - C³ master
AKU-2XC Akuma - possesses boosted C³ slave!
CP-11-C3 Cyclops - possesses boosted C³ master!
OR-2I Orochi - no C³
NG-C3Ar Naginata - possesses boosted C³ master!
PKP-1A/1B Peacekeeper - possesses C³ slave

So, as you can see, the vast majority of the 'Mech designs the Combine gained in TRO: 3085 had C³ or boosted C³.  In instances where they did not, it was generally because it was a foreign design a refit of a chassis that previously didn't have C³ to begin with, or a 'Mech that already has serviceable C³ equipped variants.  The only exceptions to those specifications are the Orochi, Mongoose, and the Ostroc.

Considering that a large number of new C³ equipped variants were added to the DCMS by TRO: 3085, and in fact the faction has continued to push development of the technology forward by creating units using boosted C³, I'd have to say that evidenec actually points towards the DCMS continuing to favor the technology.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2012, 14:47:12 by MadCapellan »

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 19 August 2012, 13:53:56 »
Thanks for the list MadCap, i didn't realise we had that many boosted C3 systems, what with them being a FedSuns design.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #111 on: 22 August 2012, 12:34:42 »
Thanks for the list MadCap, i didn't realise we had that many boosted C3 systems, what with them being a FedSuns design.

Omi was busy copying the drive of Victor's laptop after he would fall asleep.  ;)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #112 on: 22 August 2012, 13:13:43 »
Nice one Top.

Something else i thought of, to give the DCMS more of its own flavour (make it less AFFS), so as an example instead of it being the 1st Genyosha and 2nd Genyosha we would have Genyosha-ichi and Genyosha-ni?

What do the rest of you think? Although as a lot of material has already been published it would have to take place after 3150 ideally with a new Kuritan coordinator on the throne.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #113 on: 22 August 2012, 13:51:46 »
The Ryuken already does that, does every DCMS unit need to?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #114 on: 22 August 2012, 14:09:20 »
I'd like to see it so there's some variety between the differnet great house armies, at the moment, with the exception of the CCAF, they all come across as very similar.

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 22 August 2012, 19:13:19 »
how so? there are no overlapping names at all. and for the less obtuse answer, it's just common military practice as far as my limited military knowledge can make out; there are the occasional regiment like some countries have a 'royal guards' sans numbers and what not but other wise it's kinda just the way it is. cappellan military has a history of integrating mercenary commands into their ranks, as well as allowing some regional commands to be named after their commander and what not. IMO it;s the names of the regiments themselves that define them as being from one nation, not the fact that they use numbering conventions.
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #116 on: 23 August 2012, 00:16:07 »
Even the Confederation uses the 1st, 2nd, etc on things like the Reserve Cavalry. I don't think it really needs to be translated, it works well enough for its purpose.

anime ninja

• Corporal
« Reply #117 on: 12 September 2012, 15:52:28 »
I am new to the boards. 

The Combine was the faction that I played back when I started in the late 80's early 90's (Old age I can't remember when I started but I know it was before I went to Collage).

I have started to get back in to the hobby after being away for years and have things really changed.  I have been trying to catch up on the Jihad story line.

Our group is playing a 3020's campaign but it has mostly stalled.  The players are playing Davion.... :(

I am thinking that I might try a time jump to the War of '39 or the invasion to get some life back in to it.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #118 on: 13 September 2012, 02:27:58 »
Welcome back to the game!
Our group is playing a 3020's campaign but it has mostly stalled.  The players are playing Davion.... :(

Though there's, IMO, nothing wrong with that, I'll try to lend you a hand from across the border.  ;)

The good news is that you can jump in right into the game from where you left long ago without fear. Battletech has a line of products that spans different eras, and you'll find some recent (not too old at any  rate... ) books to cover the 3020-3039 span pou arez interested in, background-wise.
In fact you have two books that will be of interest to you, pending the publication of the House Kurita Source Book (work is moving forward at speed on this one, as the book developper  just told us), in the Historicals section :

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=496

- War of 3039 is a blow by blow account of all that took place in this conflict
- Brushwars has a section by Ben Rome about the 3035 Ronin Wars. I'll strongly recommend it, as it is, in my opiniuon, one of the best pieces of BT fiction ever written.

Rules wise, it would be a good idea to get hold of Total Warfare, the revamped version of the rules, in order to get all the improvements to the rules (have no fear, there are no huge modifications) and if you like to design your own units, the Tech Manual. You will also get as a bonus lots of excellent short stories interspersed with the rules, and if you are into miniatures, a very good tutorial on painting them.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #119 on: 13 September 2012, 02:34:20 »
3039 is a good conflict. It lets you work in some advanced tech without being overwhelmed by it, and it seems to cover you and your player's favorite factions, the DC and the FS. It even sort of ends in a stalemate so no one goes away too unhappy.

Register