Author Topic: Questions about Getting Started w/ AtB  (Read 7812 times)

scJazz

• Captain
Re: Questions about Getting Started w/ AtB
« Reply #30 on: 15 September 2015, 08:32:05 »
I keep on wanting an option to "Switch all MGs to Rapid Fire".

And I keep forgetting to RFE it.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 15 September 2015, 09:23:53 »
Same here. If it was intended that you enable the rapid fire MGs by presseing the mode tab, it's not working that way (and thus possibly a bug?).
How do I get princess to use rapid fire MGs? Also in the MM lobby?

It was never the intent for them to be switchable via mode (off hand I can't recall why).

And yes, enable them in the lobby for princess. However, they will always be 'on' so it really isn't advised for heat-tracking units because Princess won't know about the heat and will overheat from them pretty easily.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 15 September 2015, 10:12:44 »
Can we at least have enable all for Vees? Since heat is not an issue there. and maybe a 2nd button enable all for Mechs? Perhaps a 3rd enable all mechs for Bot?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 15 September 2015, 10:36:33 »
Can we at least have enable all for Vees? Since heat is not an issue there. and maybe a 2nd button enable all for Mechs? Perhaps a 3rd enable all mechs for Bot?

Go request it. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing the option.

arlith

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #34 on: 15 September 2015, 10:41:04 »
It was never the intent for them to be switchable via mode (off hand I can't recall why).

The rules explicitly state that a rapid-fire MG has to be indicated as such at the start of the scenario.  So, basically, "the rules say so."
Member of the MegaMek Team.

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 15 September 2015, 11:08:44 »
The rules explicitly state that a rapid-fire MG has to be indicated as such at the start of the scenario.  So, basically, "the rules say so."

Ah, so they do. For some reason I thought the rules allowed for switching but it very clearly says they must be rapid-fired for the entire game. And beyond that, the way it is worded indicates that it's not just a flick of a switch to change between standard and rapid-fire.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 15 September 2015, 11:49:45 »
Which is why we have the must do in Lobby Rule. Which doesn't change my idea at all. Although the GUI part may be icky.

Probably needs a Menu option...
> Force all Player N MGs to Rapid Fire
> Force all Player N MGs Vees to Rapid Fire
> Force all MGs to for everone to Rapid Fire
Lots more choices
or we can just skip the actual LITERAL reading of that option and allow during play... switch mode...use Rapid Fire MGs... you can not UNDO.

One click and you are done... available during Move. Because as far as GUI and rules go this would be the least stupid choice.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 15 September 2015, 12:16:36 »
I don't understand the reason behind that rule.  Maybe, when I have time, I'll go ask the writers about it.   IRL machine guns fire as according to how long you hold the button down.  A good machinegunner can get of one shot by quick depress/release.  I don't know if they are any different inside high tech military machines; tankers want to chime in here? 

Then there were the M-16s that had a selector switch, but worked like a machine gun when on auto.  Of course that was before the last one that only did 2-3 rd burst.
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: 15 September 2015, 12:45:45 »
Which is why we have the must do in Lobby Rule. Which doesn't change my idea at all. Although the GUI part may be icky.

It doesn't change the RFE you wanted to suggest at all.

I don't understand the reason behind that rule.  Maybe, when I have time, I'll go ask the writers about it.   IRL machine guns fire as according to how long you hold the button down.  A good machinegunner can get of one shot by quick depress/release.  I don't know if they are any different inside high tech military machines; tankers want to chime in here? 

Then there were the M-16s that had a selector switch, but worked like a machine gun when on auto.  Of course that was before the last one that only did 2-3 rd burst.

The wording of the rule says machine guns ..."can be modified" which implies to me that it is something that is done beyond just flipping a switch, i.e. a tech needs to go do something - not just going from semi-auto to auto.

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #39 on: 12 October 2015, 17:55:01 »
Not to necro this thread, but most of the pages just went poof, apparently.  I'm going to rebuild my "Recommended Options" start list and see if I can make it clearer this time.
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=41494.msg957784#msg957784

ralgith

• Captain
    • Dylan's BattleTech Emporium
« Reply #40 on: 15 October 2015, 11:42:07 »
Not to necro this thread, but most of the pages just went poof, apparently.  I'm going to rebuild my "Recommended Options" start list and see if I can make it clearer this time.

The posts are probably still there, but the URL changed. Did you try reading through the thread to see if the content is till there?

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2015, 14:33:49 »
Yeah, you see the two pages in this thread?  They used to be something like pages 9 and 10.  The earlier posts all got deleted or somehow disappeared.

EDIT:  Oops, this isn't the thread I was looking for after all. 
« Last Edit: 16 October 2015, 08:09:38 by Snimm »
Need help getting started with Against the Bot in MekHQ?  Click here to get yourself up and running!

BeeRockxs

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 16 October 2015, 06:19:37 »
Yeah, you see the two pages in this thread?  They used to be something like pages 9 and 10.  The earlier posts all got deleted or somehow disappeared.
I think you mean the other AtB thread. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=45803.0

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 16 October 2015, 07:42:05 »
No; the link in my signature goes to a 404 error now.  I never changed that link after placing it.  It would appear the whole thread disappeared.

But at least we still have the ruleset, which was the whole quest that discovered my broken link in the first place.
« Last Edit: 16 October 2015, 07:52:52 by Snimm »

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 16 October 2015, 07:56:54 »
ROFL!  Well, I don't know what happened, but I guess my link was bad in the first place (although I could swear I've clicked on it before and landed in the thread).  I updated it, so hopefully it's correct now.

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #45 on: 16 October 2015, 09:00:47 »
I think links went bad when the site changed.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #46 on: 16 October 2015, 12:13:30 »
So I'm back with questions about Against the Bot campaigning.

I decided to turn on Maintenance just to give it a try.  Using 30 days with the default -1, and I'm running era mods.  I have two elite techs that are maintaining all of the mechs in the company, and they are doing pretty well so far (3068 if anyone cares).

After completing my third contract, I decided to get refit kits for a few of the mechs, and since we had no loans to pay off and a nice little nest egg built up, I did't pursue contracts while waiting for the refits to complete.

One of my mechs overall quality dropped to C, so I clicked the details and saw a +2 modifier for "in the field".  Since I'm most definitely not in the field, I starting looking for how to stop that modifier.

And I can't figure out how.  I even flew to the next planet over, hoping it would bump it up, but I still can't get rid of the "in the field" modifier.  Where do I have to go/what do I have to do to no longer be considered in the field?

Snimm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 16 October 2015, 13:40:22 »
Go to the repair bay tab.  You should be able to right-click on a unit's repair situation and select whichever.  If you're not in a contract, you should be on Transport Bay, probably.  If you're rated A, you get to use Factories.

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 16 October 2015, 14:03:27 »
Well I'm referring to "In the Field" for maintenance rolls; as these aren't mechs sitting in the repair bay I didn't have to option to change their site there.  But that got me to check the menu for a mech in the hangar much closer--and yeah, the first option is Change Site.  *slaps forehead*

Thanks for getting me to find that at least!

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 16 October 2015, 14:35:59 »
This reminds me--if my unit rating is 2 (24) what is the conversion to letter rating?  Against the Bot rules state that I have to have a rating of B to have better than Transport Bay for the site.

neoancient

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek team member
« Reply #50 on: 16 October 2015, 17:52:06 »
The AtB rules assume that you'll use the Dragoon Rating system and I would recommend doing so. If you want to use the IOps Beta method, F is < 10, D is 10-19, and so on up to A=40+. The systems are pretty different and I haven't done any testing using that method.

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #51 on: 17 October 2015, 14:26:19 »
You can change a unit's repair location in the Hangar as well. Right click, Change Location -> choice from In the Field all the way to Factory.
In a contract, after completing a mission, all returning units will automatically be set to the location appropriate to the contract type. Once the contract ends, you'll need to manually put them back into your out of contract locations (usually Transport Bay, rating B and A can do better).

Even elite techs won't be able to keep a force running forever during a raid contract (which tends to set you to 'In the Field' or 'Field Workshop'). Try to shore up your units by sitting in the best facilities you can out of contract for a couple months (ie get their quality ratings back up) before even looking at a guerrilla contract...

Thorvidar

• Sergeant
  • Dark Horse Company Commander
« Reply #52 on: 17 October 2015, 18:25:35 »
So.... I am a long time user of ATB. This week my computer OS was corrupted and during the process of fixing it(replacing one HD, reloading the OS on the other) I had to upgrade to windows 10. Now with this new version of 3.20 of MekHQ I can not turn on the option of ATB, as soon as I do and hit confirm or save and confirm the game freezes. Now if I hit cancel afterwards, it loads up all the changes in the campaign options that I changed execpt the ATB. Ie it does not get turned on.

Now I only bring this up to see if others are having an issue with windows 10 and megamek.

"I don't care what people say, there's no "One True Battletech" way to enjoy this title.
There are many roads leading to Terra, many jump points, let them come." ATLAS3060

"Long story short, if you got a Masakari Prime for IF, you're doing it wrong anyway :)." -Nckestrel

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 17 October 2015, 18:59:43 »
This is a bug in 3.20. Not Windows 10.

Eugee

• Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 17 October 2015, 20:47:46 »
Drop back to 0.3.18 until 0.3.21 comes out.

0.3.19 has an issue with resolving battles when using AtB

JenniferinaMAD

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #55 on: 18 October 2015, 04:53:29 »
There is a workaround for the battle resolution issue in 3.19.

Basically, if you save and reload the game while a battle is pending, vital info for resolving salvage will be lost (MekHQ doesn't save it in the save files).

If you simply don't do that, or click 'no' when the wizard asks if you controlled the battlefield, the issue won't come up.

If neither option is useful to you, yeah, go to 3.18.

Register