Author Topic: it's not really armor, and it's not really infantry (Design Challenge)  (Read 2020 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
RFP:  man-sized (roughly) mechanical maintenance and repair systems capable of acting to repel boarders on an automated warship.

specs: these drones are intended to conduct internal and external maintenance tasks on an AI-directed, crewless, warship designed to fill the role of an M-5 Caspar.

as such, manipulators and heavy equipment are preferred over weapons mounts.  Durability is a concern, but so is cost.

how cheap can you make it, and still make it durable and useful?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
I think it's time I released this out...

Infantry : Battle Armored Android Tactical or BAAT for short.

Size : Human, physically built - 6'6" or 2 Meters tall
Weight : 225 lbs. or about 102 metric

Squad Size : 4
Motive : Foot + MASC = 2 MP/turn
Armor : Periphery Infantry Kit { Divisor 1, Belter Infantry +1, Dermal Implants +1 = +3 total )
Weight : 1 ton

Mods:
Belter Infantry (+1 to sum of Infantry Damage Divisors)
Belter Vacuum (No BV effect)
Augmented Arms Enhancement : Second set of Arms ( 4 total )
Enhanced Multi-Modal Eyes (Treat as -1 modifier to Gunnery Skill; Apply final modified Skill multiplier to BV)
Enhanced Multi-Modal Ears (No BV effect- Counted with Multi-Modal Eyes)
Pain Shunt (Treat as -1 modifier to Piloting Skill; apply final modified Skill multiplier to BV)
Filter Lung (No BV effect)
Boosted Communications Implants (Treat unit as if it has C3 Slave; applies BV mod only if full network is in play)
Prosthetic MASC (Apply MP mod from MASC to unit’s normal movement for BV calc effects)
Triple-Core Processor (Treat as -1 Piloting Skill modifier; apply final modified Skill multiplier to final BV)
Secondary Power Supply Implant ( No BV effect )
Dermal Myomer Armor Implant ( +1 Divisor )
Explosive Suicide Implant (+0.12 Weapon BV per trooper)
Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm, Right Lower, Type V : Electromagnet, VibroBlade
Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm, Left Lower, Type V : Electromagnet, VibroBlade
Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm, Right Upper, Type V : MicroComp, VibroBlade
Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm, Left Upper, Type V : Grapple, VibroBlade
( Total Damage from all Improved Enhanced Prosthetic Arm Weapons : .56 ( meaning 1 full BT damage! ))

In other news :

4 Troopers moving 2 MP a Turn. Has Electromagnet hands, 4 sets of VibroBlades that do 1 point of BT damage, an emergency Suicide Implant that do further AE damage. A MicroComp to " talk " to any disabled component compartment sub-computer, while still connected to each other and Mainframe. Able to see in Infrared with Telescopic and Laser Sight distances ( Equivalent to Active Probe 2 Hexes and -1 modifier to ranged attack ). Also able to work out in space and with no air supply.

TT
( Made these years ago... part of my WoB-ness! )

(( Shut up Doc_Agren! I hear you laughing... ;) ))
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

DOC_Agren

• Major
 :-X

there something wrong I like it :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

kindalas

• Warrant Officer

I tried very hard to build this as a light suit.

Unfortunately I failed.

It is a $815,000 C-Bill suit.

Improved Sensors, Space Operations and BA C3i allow it to work in teams of 36 suits doing their repair things with the salvage arms.

Instead of armoring up I went with Mimetic to give the drones that freaky appearance that I know that all AIs can't help but show off.

It has a pretty standard jump of 3 and I expect the part where a body goes it just robot bits to make it all work.

Appearance wise they could be fairly human looking but I have the feeling that while they technically have two arms and two legs that they don't bend like a human is piloting. So more swivel and ball joints in the limbs with a torso that maybe could fit a pilot if it was a protomech instead of a robot pretending to be armor. I'd also argue for no real defined facing for the bot so even though the arms and legs could line up to present a front/back that would be coincidental to the design's position at that moment.

Code: [Select]
Type: Drone

Tech Base: Inner Sphere (Experimental)
Chassis Type:  Biped
Weight Class: Medium
Maximum Weight: 1,000 kg
Battle Value: 113
Cost: 4,890,000 C-bills
Swarm/Leg Attack/Mechanized/AP: No/No/No/No

Equipment                                     Slots      Mass
Chassis:                                               175 kg
Motive System: