Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas  (Read 18727 times)

Decoy

• Captain
Re: NEW RELEASE: "The Anvil" and "A Splinter of Hope" Novellas
« Reply #120 on: 21 October 2018, 11:09:59 »
I've been thinking about how A Splinter of Hope ended, mainly because it takes that splinter and drives it somewhere unpleasant. I don't even like Robogigavictor. So, here's how I'd go about changing it so it feels a little more *right* It is Robogigavictor's book, after all. Have Danai maim Julian on Marlette. Let Julian's recovery be a part of the book as well. When Danai meets Julian again on New Syrtis, have it be a "Warrior vs. Soldier" moment. She *COULD* attack Julian and probably kill him, but Danai and the 2nd MAC would die with Julian and the CC would still have to deal with a twoish front war plus whatever shenanigans the MoC is getting the CC into. My two cents.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 21 October 2018, 13:08:22 »
I enjoyed both stories over all, but was a little disappointed in how Danai was portrayed.  It felt like they could have replaced her with a randomly generated Capellan officer and the only thing that would have needed to be changed was the name.  She wasn't the main character so I guess she didn't need a lot of depth here, but if that's the case, why not just use generic Capellan officer #457?  She's a more interesting character in the Dark Age books.

Cynthy and Malvina were different than what I expected as well, but I took that more as Malvina's continued descent into madness and Cynthy being stuck in the middle of it all.  Clearly the calming affect Cynthy used to have on Malvina  is no longer in play.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Duke

• Corporal
« Reply #122 on: 02 November 2018, 01:17:00 »
So... Its November now. Print on demand?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 02 November 2018, 02:19:13 »
It's what I have been waiting for.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #124 on: 02 November 2018, 17:43:02 »
John Helfers posted on Facebook that it won't be in paperback any time soon, and if it is, it will be part of an anthology. 

I found out in the same post.  Pretty bummed.

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #125 on: 02 November 2018, 20:05:23 »
Darn.  :-\
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register